• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Quake 2 Remastered Is Stunning - The DF Tech Review - Every Version Tested

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

The id software classic is masterfully updated for the modern era thanks to the brilliant Nightdive Studios - with an assist from Machine Games, who've brought a brand new mission to the game. John Linneman revisits the history of Quake 2, compares every version of the new release and stacks up the various enhancements. Available to buy at a very low price, available on Game Pass, or as a free upgrade on PC, this is a simply phenomenal new version of a truly legendary game.

00:00 - Introduction
01:05 - A Brief History of Quake 2
02:17 - Initial Findings on Quake 2 2023
04:25 - Platform Comparisons - Every Version
07:10 - Visual Enhancements
08:28 - Light Map Showcase
10:53 - Coloured Lighting Improvements
12:53 - Height Fog
13:49 - Enhanced Model Quality
17:05 - What about Quake 2 RTX?
18:06 - AI is enhanced!
19:50 - Sound Improvements
22:35 - The Machine Games Campaign is amazing
23:41 - Quake 2 64 is here too!

Last edited:

adamsapple

- A Night Dive joint
- Major improvements to the light map, liquid rendering and so much more.
- Includes the Nintendo 64 Quake 2 campaign as well as new missions made by Machine Games (of modern Wolfenstein fame)
- Filtering and shader options present that can make the game look even like the original software renderer version from the OG PC release

- Consoles
- PS4 / XBO: 1080p/60
- PS4 Pro / XBX: 4K/60
- Series X and PS5: 4K at 120hz
- Series S: 120hz between DRS 1080p and 2160p. If Series S is ran at 60hz, it tends to stick to 2160p most of the time
- All versions support DRS and all can have a max drop of 50% axis (i-e 2160p *can* drop to 1080p) but PS5|SX tend to stick to max most often.
- One X has a gigantic resolution lead over PS4 Pro in most case
- Switch can drop the lowest, 540p lowest seen.

- Motion blur has the most impact on performance, disabling it can improve performance and reach higher DRS counts.
- Switch does not offer a motion blur option at all, so this is not applicable.

- The Machine Games' new missions are where performance issues come up, these are the heaviest new missions.
- Switch sacrifices the most here, but even here it's largely a 60 FPS experience.

- Visual Enhancements
- Light Maps resolution sees a 4x resolution boost, much higher density and captures more of the environment
- Further smoother shading, baked ambient occlusion, subtle shadowing, liquid materials like water and lava being properly lit, including animated water like the OG Software renderer but even smoother
- Some effects are brought over from the N64 version.
- Dynamic light maps when firing weapon is smooth and casts proper shadows, muzzle flash textures also added
- Quake 3 tech like light volumes also brought over to this conversion
- But some surfaces now glow even when they should not, the glow map is not entirely accurate
- The new version uses DX11 and Vulkan, not openGL.
- CPU draw calls also reduced which helps out Switch version
- Wobbling / warbling effects removed with additional detail on models and weapons
- Staggering increase in detail but art style still looks Quake 2
- Additional geometric flourishes and map data added which expands levels and connects areas to each other
- Intro CG movie also re-created from scratch.
- Quake 2 RTX is its own thing and not included/factored into this remaster

- Non-Visual changes:

- AI has been improved with improved path finding and enemy behavior. Enemies are more aggressive and show behavior not seen in the original game.
- Sound is higher quality, more reverb, more variety in sounds for guns and running depending on room ambiance etc
- Original CD audio, N64 tracks and even newly created tracks are present
- 8 player split screen available on Xbox and PC.
- Limited to 4 players on Playstation consoles
- Additional options like compass added to help guide players to the next objective in case they get lost.

- Machine Games' new campaign is the highlight.
- Bigger maps than anything else in the game, more enemies, combat scenarios that would not be possible in OG Quake 2
- DF comments that this mission pack is so good it could have been sold separately.
- N64 campaign is also present.

- Machine Gun no longer has recoil, some speed running tactics are also not available anymore.
- Consoles support keyboard and mouse but they have a bug where it disconnects after a while and you need to replug them, this was replicated on both PS and Xbox
- PS and Switch support Gyro aiming.

- Largely faithful to the source material and only $10 (and on game pass).
- DF gives a high recommendation to anyone who hasn't experienced it to give it a try.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
- A Night Dive joint
- Major improvements to the light map, liquid rendering and so much more.
- Includes the Nintendo 64 Quake 2 campaign as well as new missions made by Machine Games (of modern Wolfenstein fame)
- Filtering and shader options present that can make the game look even like the original software renderer version from the OG PC release

- Consoles
- PS4 / XBO: 1080p/60
- PS4 Pro / XBX: 4K/60
- Series X and PS5: 4K at 120hz
- Series S: 120hz between DRS 1080p and 2160p. If Series S is ran at 60hz, it tends to stick to 2160p most of the time
- All versions support DRS and all can have a max drop of 50% axis (i-e 2160p *can* drop to 1080p) but PS5|SX tend to stick to max most often.
- One X has a gigantic resolution lead over PS4 Pro in most case
- Switch can drop the lowest, 540p lowest seen.

- Motion blur has the most impact on performance, disabling it can improve performance and reach higher DRS counts.
- Switch does not offer a motion blur option at all, so this is not applicable.

- The Machine Games' new missions are where performance issues come up, these are the heaviest new missions.
- Switch sacrifices the most here, but even here it's largely a 60 FPS experience.

- Visual Enhancements
- Light Maps resolution sees a 4x resolution boost, much higher density and captures more of the environment
- Further smoother shading, baked ambient occlusion, subtle shadowing, liquid materials like water and lava being properly lit, including animated water like the OG Software renderer but even smoother
- Some effects are brought over from the N64 version.
- Dynamic light maps when firing weapon is smooth and casts proper shadows, muzzle flash textures also added
- Quake 3 tech like light volumes also brought over to this conversion
- But some surfaces now glow even when they should not, the glow map is not entirely accurate
- The new version uses DX11 and Vulkan, not openGL.
- CPU draw calls also reduced which helps out Switch version
- Wobbling / warbling effects removed with additional detail on models and weapons
- Staggering increase in detail but art style still looks Quake 2
- Additional geometric flourishes and map data added which expands levels and connects areas to each other
- Intro CG movie also re-created from scratch.

Don't get yourself banned again, okay? Your recaps are the best and deeply appreciated.

Kilau

Off topic:

I really love their studio logo animation.

nightdive-logo.gif

Doczu

Good to know turning motion blur off gives a nice res boost on 4 Pro (and i didn't like it in Q1 or here, so good for me) but ouch on the res difference between Pro and One X.

For such a game?

Some very good stuff there from Nightdive Studios and Machine Games. I'll probably be picking up a physical copy of the game through VGP.

Last edited:

Adam_802

So do you guys use Texture Smoothing? Can't decide what I like best. I like the sharpness of "Off" but I think it was On by default and I see John using it here and it looks good too.

I think maybe 'Off' for the main game and 'On' for Quake 2 N64? What do you guys think?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Watching this re-tantalizes me with the thought Nightdive had a while ago about making a brand new Turok game. These high performing blends of old and new are great.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So do you guys use Texture Smoothing? Can't decide what I like best. I like the sharpness of "Off" but I think it was On by default and I see John using it here and it looks good too.

I think maybe 'Off' for the main game and 'On' for Quake 2 N64? What do you guys think?
Texture smoothing on, but fog is off as it changes the look too much especially inside where it makes no sense to me (motion blur off too, but at 120 Hz is not incredibly needed).

Quake II was designed for 3D accelerators really and texture filtering seems to work on it properly.

JimboJones

Looks like an ugly 90's game. Linneman's definition of "stunning" is... interesting to say the least.
It's completely warranted, it is a stunning conversation. It's the Gold Standard of how to port older games to modern platforms.

Quality of life upgrades and modernized in small ways that matter.
Still retains the looks of the originals but better, basically the games looks how we might remember it with rose tinted goggles.

Contrast that with Rockstars efforts
GTA trilogy that introduced a "modern" art style that looks atrocious, technically better but artistically compromises the look and feel of the originals, also introduced bugs.
Red Dead Redemption, very bare bones ports, even removed multiplayer.
Both games charged at full price

Even Skyward Sword which was heavily criticized as lazy doubled the framerate from the original and shut up Fi.

adamsapple

It's completely warranted, it is a stunning conversation. It's the Gold Standard of how to port older games to modern platforms.

Quality of life upgrades and modernized in small ways that matter.
Still retains the looks of the originals but better, basically the games looks how we might remember it with rose tinted goggles.

Contrast that with Rockstars efforts
GTA trilogy that introduced a "modern" art style that looks atrocious, technically better but artistically compromises the look and feel of the originals, also introduced bugs.
Red Dead Redemption, very bare bones ports, even removed multiplayer.
Both games charged at full price

Even Skyward Sword which was heavily criticized as lazy doubled the framerate from the original and shut up Fi.

Well said, along with being a faithful recreation for the modern times, it also maximizes each console for its respective visual/performance metrics as well as launching without any notable bugs, and at a very cheap price to boot (cough $50 cough)

Last edited:

Fake

Why this game even using DRS is beyond me.

I sure those consoles are capable of running native resolution.

Doczu

Texture smoothing on

Quake II was designed for 3D accelerators really and texture filtering seems to work on it properly.
Don't believe this guy. This is how Quake 2 looks without and with texture smoothing (minus the damage on OG painting):

8T5ebXU.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom