• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Redfall Xbox Series X/S - DF Tech Review - Big Issues And Unfulfilled Potential

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

One of the most controversial of Xbox's first-party releases, it's safe to say that Redfall arrives with users with a wide range of problems that urgently need addressing - and beyond the technical problems, the game itself isn't up to Arkane's usual levels of quality.

-

Last edited:

adamsapple

TL;DR

- Redfall uses UE4 unlike CryEngine (Prey) or Void Engine (Lyon's games)
- "Key areas feature the attention to detail you'd expect from Arkane"
- Volumetric clouds and map detail touched upon and praised.

- Texture pop-in is severe and frequent. Everything including graffiti or blood decals are effected.
- Proper textures can take 20~ seconds to load in some key tested areas.
- Tree trunks have worse textures compared to Halo CE from 2001

- Shadow resolve is poor and shadow crawl makes it obvious
- Characters exhibit minimal animations and don't look greatly detailed either.
- AI is poor and can often break during game play.

- Ragdoll bugs, motion blur disengages itself randomly, characters gets stuck in persistent running animations, functions like crouching stopped working until the game got rebooted, tree collision breaks in places etc

- Redfall has worse performance issues than any previous Arkane launch.

- SX: Native 4K, SS: Native 1440p. DRS possible but not observed in DF testing.
- SSR only seen in SX version. DF is surprised SS has it disabled owing to low requirements.
- Some cut-scenes in SS have SSR enabled however.
- SS has lower quality shadow resolution. Cascades and draw limit is same on both.
- SS also uses lower resolution textures in general but in some cases SS can load textures faster.

- Performance: Capped at 30 on both.
- DF only encountered minor dips in testing but say more drops are possible in 4 players
- Frame rate can dip when standing in front of alpha effects like fire and mist
- Series S is less prone to drops compared to Series X
- 30 FPS does not have frame pacing issues. The frames are paced properly.

- Controls have huge deadzone. DF cover their preferred tweaks to the settings to mitigate it.

Last edited:

skit_data

Adjustable deadzones are indeed important when it comes to shooters on console, I realized that when I saw the option in Returnal, tweaking it and going
”hey this is pretty much THE thing that puts me off some shooters vs others”
after living too many years without tweaking it/not having the option to do so

Edit: Damn, that texture pop in is easily the biggest contributor to the horror aspect of the game

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
TL;DR

- Prey uses UE4 unlike CryEngine (Prey) or Void Engine (Lyon's games)
- "Key areas feature the attention to detail you'd expect from Arkane"
- Volumetric clouds and map detail touched upon and praised.

- Texture pop-in is severe and frequent. Everything including graffiti or blood decals are effected.
- Proper textures can take 20~ seconds to load in some key tested areas.
- Tree trunks have worse textures compared to Halo CE from 2001

- Shadow resolve is poor and shadow crawl makes it obvious
- AI is poor and can often break during game play.

- Ragdoll bugs, motion blur disengages itself randomly, characters gets stuck in persistent running animations, functions like crouching stopped working until the game got rebooted, tree collision breaks in places etc

- Redfall has worse performance issues than any previous Arkane launch.

- SX: Native 4K, SS: Native 1440p. DRS possible but not observed in DF testing.
- SSR only seen in SX version. DF is surprised SS has it disabled owing to low requirements.
- Some cut-scenes in SS have SSR enabled however.
- SS has lower quality shadow resolution. Cascades and draw limit is same on both.
- SS also uses lower resolution textures in general but in some cases SS can load textures faster.

- Performance: Capped at 30 on both.
- DF only encountered minor dips in testing but say more drops are possible in 4 players
- Frame rate can dip when standing in front of alpha effects like fire and mist
- Series S is less prone to drops compared to Series X
- 30 FPS does not have frame pacing issues. The frames are paced properly.

- Controls have huge deadzone. DF cover their preferred tweaks to the settings to mitigate it.
This seems to happen quite regularly this gen, I'd say even moreso on Xbox series but alpha effects seems to tank framerates on this gen.

Mr Moose

Thought this since the first time I seen it.

Textures-2.png

Wot.

adamsapple

Awww. I thought I diagnosed the performance issues with Red Fall. I doubt any system would run two modern gaming engines at the same time efficiently.

I would have gladly taken a Prey 2 over RF but ah well. Let this be a harsh reminder to Arkane Austin.

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Really great work from John at DF. This video pretty much points out all my problems with the game's visual presentation, while being fair to what actually is good.

Banned
the shadows on PC at max settings are also SUPER low quality... that took my by surprise when I tried the game

Rival

Gold Member
Is anyone here genuinely surprised? This game had dumpster fire written all over of from the moment it was revealed.

geary

Seriously, watching this and I'm almost flabbergasted at how polite they are being.
Come on, now we are surprised that people are being polite and not using incendiary words or rage.
You can criticize something without being an asshole. People are so used to hyperbolized reaction that when someone is being civilized is out of order.

Also Cohh, expressed his disappointment in a civilized way. In this day and age, if you are not raging, you are classified as shill.
This game is bad, very very bad....and you can say that without raging.

Last edited:

GHG

Come on, now we are surprised that people are being polite and not using incendiary words or rage.
You can criticize something without being and asshole. People are so used to hyperbolized reaction that when someone is being civilized is out of order.

Also Cohh, expressed his disappointment in a civilized way. In this day and age, if you are not raging, you are classified as shill.
This game is bad, very very bad....and you can say that without without raging.

Of course. But let's remember that this is a channel that hasn't held back from being outraged in certain other circumstances. I've certainly seen the likes of Alex be far more brutal than this before in his commentary. Maybe they just feel sorry for them at this point.

And no, im not expecting angry joe style rants, but there is certainly room for them to be a bit more direct here.

Denton

Seriously, watching this and I'm almost flabbergasted at how polite they are being.

Got to stay in the good books I guess. Thankfully there are now plenty of other channels out there who aren't afraid of saying it how it is.
Such conspiratorial bullshit. John is a professional. So he shows the bad stuff and the good stuff objectively without unnecessary vitriol. And somehow that's twisted by you morons as bad.

(hope I am not too polite for you)

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
And Phil is saying in that interview the real concerns are about the vision of the "team" and not so much the technical issues?! Fuck me the guy is burying Xbox!
Not to defend what is not really defendable, but I can get what he is trying to say. It was about why not delay it. And his answer was to care more about "creative vision", that I choose to interpret as a good gameplay loop/ whatever can give fun to players. And tech would be after that. Redfall had none. And I think that weirdly instead of throwing Arkane to the wolves he simply took responsability. It looks like Halo Infinite again, were between the need of a release and a team that can't give what was asked of them they simply hide the shit instead of saying that they couldn't do it.
I can't believe they released this piece of shit
I got to the acceptance stage. You will too sooner or later. They did, and did it after Halo Infinite made it clear that this was a bad idea. How they did it again, I don't know.
And no, im not expecting angry joe style rants, but there is certainly room for them to be a bit more direct here.
I did not see the video( stopped doing so since DF admitted that they would not be able to accurately say at what resolution future Sony games would be, that was in 2020 or 2021 I think? And Adamspple great resumes) but I remember them using big zooms to find problems/ explain tech limits in games like TLOU 2 and Miles Morales. Great games needs highter scrutiny but it got pretty far sometimes. But I do agree that they could be more incisive without being crass.
Such conspiratorial bullshit. John is a professional. So he shows the bad stuff and the good stuff objectively without unnecessary vitriol. And somehow that's twisted by you morons as bad.

See the above. If they would test Redfall with the same search for defaults that they did for some other titles the video could be a lot more damning to the game. Showing good and bad stuff and getting out of their way to look for bad stuff is not the same thing. But this is a personal taste of mine so you can see it differently.

adamsapple

Of course. But let's remember that this is a channel that hasn't held back from being outraged in certain other circumstances. I've certainly seen the likes of Alex be far more brutal than this before in his commentary. Maybe they just feel sorry for them at this point.

I mean, this isn't an Alex video. John's videos are almost all entirely courteous and similar. If Alex is working on a PC video, he's probably make like his usual content.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Jedi Survivor also has that horendous texture loading issue.

LOL at the controller bugs! :messenger_tears_of_joy: no crouch for you!

Last edited:

GHG

I mean, this isn't an Alex video. John's videos are almost all entirely courteous and similar. If Alex is working on a PC video, he's probably make like his usual content.

Yeh that's a fair point, John does tend to take a softer approach these days, although that was not always the case, hence the level of upset that was once levied at him.

Oh no it's ok, in this case I think he understands his audience very well and is doing what's necessary. Clearly, the situation is a sensitive one.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I h avnt played the game. But after watching this and some other random YT videos this is one of the very few cases where I think someone needs to be fired. This was beyond just releasing a "kind of buggy" game.

Pretty fair assessment from John. Been having a decent time as well with the game in coop but we're constantly laughing and making fun of the AI because it's so awful. I can't imagine the state of this game last year when it was originally set to launch...
LOL at the controller bugs! :messenger_tears_of_joy: no crouch for you!
I actually know what happened there. So, when you complete a mission, a prompt pops up where you can either return to safehouse or just exit out of the prompt. But, sometimes, the prompt bugs out and behaves as though it's still there but doesn't actually display. Therefore, pressing B (crouch) was registering as him trying to exit the invisible prompt... it's one of the many, many UI bugs in this game lol

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Looks like Arkane have a lot of work to do, hopefully they get the time to do it. Played about 13 hours between Series X and S. Plus an hour on PC, pretty impressed how the Series S version holds up considering all the issues, 1440p and solid framerate.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The AI.....

What happened with this game. Its clear 60 fps is the least of the issues with this game.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Why are the cut scenes comics, did they not have enough time or money to make real cut scenes? This release is embarassing. Xbox and bethesda should be fucking ashamed. Lol compare this to horizon burning shores, its literally and entire console generation behind

Last edited:
Top Bottom