• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order: Every Console Tested, Tech Problems Analysed

vkbest

On my PS4 Pro I installed it on a external Angel Bird USB SSD and it significantly reduced the IO stream stuttering that almost made certain parts of the game unplayable.

I genuinely believe that this game was originally targeted at the next gen consoles but development was brought forward by EA, it would explain the performance issues and game "jank" you can encounter.

if this is a PS5/Scarlet game, Uncharted 4 or Horizon should be a PS6 game.

I can't understand why people are talking about the lack of power on current gen on games such as this or control, when you have games from years ago on PS4/One with better graphics.

Sekiro have better graphics than this game, and performance is similar despite this game go lower to 756p on Pro, when Sekiro is 1800p.

Last edited:

GymWolf

if this is a PS5/Scarlet game, Uncharted 4 or Horizon should be a PS6 game.

I can't understand why people are talking about the lack of power on current gen on games such as this or control, when you have games from years ago on PS4/One with better graphics.

Sekiro have better graphics than this game, and performance is similar despite this game go lower to 756p on Pro, when Sekiro is 1800p.
I'm kinda with you about this game being not nearly what a next gen game will be, but sekiro doesn't have better graphic than this...
Far better art design yes, not raw graphics imo.

Last edited:

vkbest

I'm kinda with you about this game being not nearly what a next gen game will be, but sekiro doesn't have better graphic than this...
Far better art design yes, not raw graphics imo.

Ok, what about God of War (performance mode is pretty better than this game), or RE2 Remake? or GOW5? This game is not a open world even.

Fake

People keep getting blind about this game... Christ. Is not a current gen benchmark by any means and next gen will be the same.

Only when next gen came and this same game runs baddly there too or people will open their eyes or will call next gen weak and will ask for the next of the next gen.

GymWolf

Ok, what about God of War (performance mode is pretty better than this game), or RE2 Remake? or GOW5? This game is not a open world even.
Nothing to say about these games.

I was only talking aboit the graphic comparison with sekiro.

Rossco EZ

i was watching a streamer play it and he was having dips as low as 37fps at times and i’m sure he has a pretty decent pc, optimisation definitely could be better.

i was watching a streamer play it and he was having dips as low as 37fps at times and i’m sure he has a pretty decent pc, optimisation definitely could be better.
Maximilian was playing it on his very beefy PC, the second night he played it and reached a new area, the framerate randomly capped at 40 or 50, even when he turned off the framerate cap and lowered the settings to low it would not raise the framerate. There is optimization problems across the board beyond just console limitations.

Low native resolution found

540p on Xbox One
720p on PS4
756p on PS4 Pro
900p on Xbox One X

giphy.gif

And some really expect 4K/120fps on next gen while the current one has trouble with the 1080p,
I firmly believe we'll get 4K/120fps next gen. On flash-like indie games at least

Rossco EZ

Maximilian was playing it on his very beefy PC, the second night he played it and reached a new area, the framerate randomly capped at 40 or 50, even when he turned off the framerate cap and lowered the settings to low it would not raise the framerate. There is optimization problems across the board beyond just console limitations.
yeah i was watching goldglove and when he entered a new area it dropped too.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Games brilliant, but the random stuttering on X is ruining it in spots. It really feels janky. Plus the HDR, not sure what’s going on but seems the whole world is covered in fog at times... But I’m having a massive blast playing it, so...

funny thing happened earlier. I landed on the planet where you first fight the AT-ST for a second time, only, none of the ground loaded. So I was running around on nothing, while things just popped in all over the place when they felt like it...

ethomaz

Banned
You jest of course, but Tetris Effect with those specs would be such a trip (on a screen large enough to benefit 8K) that it would be probably classified as an illegal drug.
Tetris is good even on black/white screens in these cheap machines you buy everywhere.

nowhat

Tetris is good even on black/white screens in these cheap machines you buy everywhere.
Oh sure, the fundamental game remains as good as ever, it's a timeless classic. Just that if you haven't actually played Tetris Effect (have you?), it's really hard to describe the experience. The way your playing affects the music and visuals (yes, visuals, the game is really trippy) is something that needs to be experienced in person, YouTube videos don't do it justice.

thanks for pointing this out. Now I know it’s not a problem with my PC.

lucius

I have to install it on the internal drive to avoid some stutters, no thanks I will wait until they fix that or won’t be getting it.

Moses85

It is ridiculous. Whole Fanbase is asking for a great singleplayer only game and all Fans and gamers I talked with are satisfied with the game.

Reviewer are criticize the missing MP.

Morons, go and play Battlefront 1+2!!

TFO is miles better than The Force unleashed but they are nearly on par in terms of the rating...

I loved TFU but TFO is a dream!

prag16

Banned
Game just seems to have technical issues in general, including on PC. A lot of people on EA forums (including me) are having an issue where changing settings and resolution has NO impact on performance. In my case with my weak-ish old rig I sit in the 40s and 50s, but see baffling drops into the 20s and even teens for no discernible reason, and even occasional baaaad hitches that freeze the view for over a full second. But th emost baffling part is that this is the performance I get on 1440p/High, but also on 720p/Medium. It makes literally no damn sense. And I'm far from the only one having these issues. People with 9700k/2080ti setups are seeing similar (but with higher framerates due to the stronger hardware).

Seems at least in part to be your typical UE4 asset streaming / loading type issues that we all know and love.

All that said I'm having a lot of fun with the game, when the hitches don't get in the way (they make it impossible to play on grandmaster level, but I'll deal with that). Hopefully a patch is incoming.

EDIT: Saw the patch tweet two posts above. I'll check it out tonight. Unfortunately in the reddit thread a bunch of peopel are reporting they see no noticeable difference in the performance issues. :(

Last edited:

Nydius

My 3 day Redbox rental is at its end and I won't be bothering with the game again until there's some performance patches or if next gen systems can play it notably better. Playing on the XOne S was painful and futile. It started bad on Bogano and only got worse as it went along. At the end of the Saw Gerrera mission, the sheer amount of enemies fighting at once (a security droid, 2 flametroopers, 2 melee troopers, 4 normal troopers, and an AT-ST) turned the game into a slide show and crashed my Xbox back to dashboard twice. Later on a return to Zeffo, I reached my absolute frustration point during a particular boss fight (the Second Sister encounter while looking for the second tomb/artifact).

The fight was 1v1 in an indoor circular cave environment with no overwhelming or significant lighting effects to speak of. Lightsabers were the only real particle effects. And yet every time the boss would perform a heavy attack -- the glowing red effect -- the Xbox would stutter anywhere from 0.5 to a full second, completely throwing off the evade timing window. My evade wouldn't happen until after the hit registered thanks to the stutter. I died half a dozen times not because the boss was difficult but because the system couldn't keep up. I tried moving the game onto an external SSD drive but that offered zero improvement.

All of my frustrations with this game are tied to performance. Not combat design or level design or puzzle design.

Last edited:
So for those on PC experiencing little judder/micro stutters despite having decent rigs and found a tweak that has fixed it for me

in-game
Vsync off
Max FPS 144 (or whatever your monitor is, I guess

Nvidia Control panel - manage 3D settings - program settings - Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Low Latency Mode - On (not ultra)
Triple Buffering - On
Vsync - on

smoothed out the crap I had been dealing with since launch. Not saying it will work for anyone else but just sharing in case it does

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
So for those on PC experiencing little judder/micro stutters despite having decent rigs and found a tweak that has fixed it for me

in-game
Vsync off

Nvidia Control panel - manage 3D settings - program settings - Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Triple Buffering - On
Vsync - on

smoothed out the crap I had been dealing with since launch. Not saying it will work for anyone else but just sharing in case it does
I'll certainly give it a shot tonight. Installing the patch and adding "-high" to the command line switch field in Origin for the game didn't seem to do very much. Are you using fullscreen or borderless window? I've been using borderless window, with vsync off (to allow the automatic Windows vsync to take over), which worked a little better for me than using exclusive fullscreen and the game's vsync. (I can't play it with vsync completely turned off. The tearing is terrible.)

Last edited:

GymWolf

in-game
Vsync off

Triple Buffering - On
Vsync - on

I have the same setting except the triple buffering off and the hitching is omnipresent anyway...

I will try the triple buff thing.

lefty1117

Gold Member
I really like the game but I'll also agree that it needs optimization even on PC. Some slowdowns in some parts particularly loading into an area.

prag16

Banned

in-game
Vsync off

Triple Buffering - On
Vsync - on

This didn't seem to do anything for me. But what DID seem to help significantly is raising the priority of the jedifallenorder.exe process to "above normal" in task manager. Not perfect, but instead of nearly constant drops from the 50s to the 20s on my rig (plus sporadic random freezes of a second or more), I got no more freezes and only VERY rare dips as low as the 20s. On my old ass rig, I'll take it.

It's of course possible that Kashyyyk is much less demanding than Zeffo and that's why my performance improved, but I don't think that's the case; I remember other people stating that they were doing fine, but then tanked performance on Kashyyyk. Heading to Dathomir next before I return to Zeffo, so we'll see how that goes tomorrow.

dyergram

It’s weird stepping back from games for a bit then I jumped back in on for this having seen the reviews. And I’m shocked how bad the frame rate is on the ps4 pro enjoying the game though I would have assumed the xb1 would be the best version.

Top Bottom