• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order: Every Console Tested, Tech Problems Analysed

Bullet Club

Banned

Respawn Entertainment's Jedi Fallen Order is an excellent amalgamation of Uncharted, Dark Souls and Metroid Prime - and while we should be celebrating a great game, there's no doubt that the launch has been marred by freezing issues and other tech problems. So which version - or versions - delivers Respawn's vision with the minimal of technical problems? John and Rich clue you in.

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe

Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get access to pristine quality video downloads: https://www.digitalfoundry.net

VFXVeteran

Banned
Bottomline -- it's a next-generation game and isn't really designed for current gen. The game will look phenomenal on next-gen hardware. I'm glad they didn't downgrade the gam like Witcher 3.

I'll ask Alex if they are going to do all platforms comparison so you guys can get a sense of how this game will look/run on next-gen hardware.

Last edited:
What’s the breakdown?
maxresdefault_2048x2048.jpg

stranno

In future games they should wait to test every console version..

I know the XBOX rush is just because other channels are jumping into the trdrop train and doing their own analysis, but DF subscribers are probably going to watch the DF one anyway.

Last edited:
In future games they should wait to test every console version..

I know the XBOX rush is just because other channels are jumping into the trdrop train and doing their own analysis, but DF subscribers are probably going to watch the DF one anyway.
I think they said they didn’t get review copies on PS4. So I don’t blame them for delivering content in this case.

Evilms

Banned
Summary:

• The XB1 X version runs in dynamic resolution 1080p~1440p (Quality Mode).
  • As on XB1 X, in Quality Mode the PS4 Pro is in dynamic resolution and runs at 1260p, it can go down to 1080p or even a little less.
  • In Performance Mode the PS4 Pro runs in 1080p but can drop below 900p.
  • On PS4 Pro the anti-aliasing and screen space reflection are worse than on XB1 X.
  • The level of details also appears closer on PS4 Pro.
  • The PS4 version runs in dynamic 900p resolution and can go down to 720p.
  • The XB1 version also runs in dynamic resolution 720p and can drop to 540p.
  • Sleep mode is not recommended with the game.
  • The XB1's jerks/freezes problems are also present on PS4.
  • In demanding scenes, the PS4 Pro version does the best, the PS4 version is between the XB1 and the PS4 Pro.
  • Sometimes the PS4 also has trouble loading open areas in time if you move quickly from one place to another like on XB1. However, despite this loading problem the PS4 seems better and does it faster than the XB1.
  • The XB1 X version on an external support can cause the same jerks/freezes problems as other consoles.
  • Various factors (internal/external HDD...) seem to be the cause of the jerks and other freezes that people may encounter.
  • DF recommends launching the game from the internal HDD of the consoles.
  • In Quality Mode the PS4 Pro holds the 30fps well all the time except for some jerks/freezes and very rare slowdowns similar to those of the XB1 X.
  • In Performance Mode, on average the PS4 Pro and XB1 X are very similar.
  • According to DF Performance Mode is not recommended because of unstable framerate in both cases.
  • Despite some problems, the game seems to work better than any other video game from From Software.
  • The basic PS4 runs at 30fps, with some drops more visible than those on PS4 Pro but works better than the basic XB1.
  • The XB1 X has a little sharper visuals and subtle improvements on some effects, but other than that the game is pretty much the same on Pro and X.
  • DF recommends playing the game on mid-gen consoles.
  • Very good implementation of HDR, even if not as good as the one we saw in Gears 5.
  • The game is good, but still lacks a little polish.

I definitely agree with that last point. It is most definitely a good game but polish is missing in some key areas if you’re going for unforgivable style gameplay.

I also get very quick loading stutters running off a secondary SSD drive. Maybe I need to install it on the main drive? Talking PC here

SCB3

Summary:

• The XB1 X version runs in dynamic resolution 1080p~1440p (Quality Mode).
  • As on XB1 X, in Quality Mode the PS4 Pro is in dynamic resolution and runs at 1260p, it can go down to 1080p or even a little less.
  • In Performance Mode the PS4 Pro runs in 1080p but can drop below 900p.
  • On PS4 Pro the anti-aliasing and screen space reflection are worse than on XB1 X.
  • The level of details also appears closer on PS4 Pro.
  • The PS4 version runs in dynamic 900p resolution and can go down to 720p.
  • The XB1 version also runs in dynamic resolution 720p and can drop to 540p.
  • Sleep mode is not recommended with the game.
  • The XB1's jerks/freezes problems are also present on PS4.
  • In demanding scenes, the PS4 Pro version does the best, the PS4 version is between the XB1 and the PS4 Pro.
  • Sometimes the PS4 also has trouble loading open areas in time if you move quickly from one place to another like on XB1. However, despite this loading problem the PS4 seems better and does it faster than the XB1.
  • The XB1 X version on an external support can cause the same jerks/freezes problems as other consoles.
  • Various factors (internal/external HDD...) seem to be the cause of the jerks and other freezes that people may encounter.
  • DF recommends launching the game from the internal HDD of the consoles.
  • In Quality Mode the PS4 Pro holds the 30fps well all the time except for some jerks/freezes and very rare slowdowns similar to those of the XB1 X.
  • In Performance Mode, on average the PS4 Pro and XB1 X are very similar.
  • According to DF Performance Mode is not recommended because of unstable framerate in both cases.
  • Despite some problems, the game seems to work better than any other video game from From Software.
  • The basic PS4 runs at 30fps, with some drops more visible than those on PS4 Pro but works better than the basic XB1.
  • The XB1 X has a little sharper visuals and subtle improvements on some effects, but other than that the game is pretty much the same on Pro and X.
  • DF recommends playing the game on mid-gen consoles.
  • Very good implementation of HDR, even if not as good as the one we saw in Gears 5.
  • The game is good, but still lacks a little polish.

I'm glad I went for the PC version now, almost went for Xbox One X as well

Ogbert

I definitely agree with that last point. It is most definitely a good game but polish is missing in some key areas if you’re going for unforgivable style gameplay.

I also get very quick loading stutters running off a secondary SSD drive. Maybe I need to install it on the main drive? Talking PC here

I’m enjoying it. I think you can tell it’s been rushed out the door. The deadline pressure must have been insane. Some bits look genuinely last gen (like the memories when you learn force powers as a young boy).

I’m enjoying it. I think you can tell it’s been rushed out the door. The deadline pressure must have been insane. Some bits look genuinely last gen (like the memories when you learn force powers as a young boy).

guessing that they had a forced black friday/holiday deadline. hopefully it gets a couple of patches to address the issues

Stuart360

I am more than convinced that we will always have games below 2160p or even 1440p on PS5/Scarlett, the 4K on all games is not yet for this gen, same for 60fps.
I think a lot of games will target 4k, especially in the first 2 or 3 years, but the majority of those will be 30fps, with the odd 60fps game (Like a next gen COD). 8k, 4k/120, or 120fps in itself, is a pipe dream in anything except the odd experimental Indie game, or tech demo.

Evilms

Banned
Who expects 4K/120 and why would you give the 3 or 4 people any attention at all?

If only it were that 3 or 4 people, unfortunately I've seen a lot of them here or elsewhere, there are really some who expect native 4K in all games on PS5/Scarlett.

Some even believe that they will be able to do 8K on games because the Sony/M$ marketing speech said so.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There are still loads of people constantly mentioning 8k and 120fps in the next gen thread to be fair.
If only it were that 3 or 4 people, unfortunately I've seen a lot of them here or elsewhere, there are really some who expect native 4K in all games on PS5/Scarlett.

Some even believe that they will be able to do 8K on games because the Sony/M$ marketing speech said so.

IDK man, I spend a lot of time in the next-gen talk threads (on here), don’t frequent any other sites, and it’s barely brought up in a serious manner as a reality, other than to discuss the confirmation of 2.1 spec.

Mostly for video streaming talk if anything, or low resource indie games, if ever.

Maybe different elsewhere, however.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned

I am using a regular HDD and I get no loading delays. About 5s to load level after death.

The stutters are coming from complexity in the lighting and transparencies.

Stuart360

From first party? Yes.
Rewatch the video again mate. John sometimes say how this game looks unpolish.
You actually expect some first party next gen games to be 4k/120fps?, and you are talking about graphically intensive AAA games and not the odd 2D Inide game or tech demo?.
Next gen is going to be so sweet on here lol
giphy.gif

Fake

You actually expect some first party next gen games to be 4k/120fps?,
Why not?
Don't need to be native 4K, just using dynamic resolution just like current gen or CB render.

Don't be that guy please... This game don't even run well anywhere besides PC. Are you really using this game as a console benchmark? After all the problems John showed to you?

Stuart360

Why not?
Don't need to be native 4K, just using dynamic resolution just like current gen or CB render.

Don't be that guy please... This game don't even run well anywhere besides PC. Are you really using this game as a console benchmark? After all the problems John showed to you?
I'm not using this game as a benchmark of anything, but at the same time, next gen consoles wouldnt be able to run this game at 4k/120fps, nevermind an actual next gen game lol.
Do you know how much power it would take to run a AAA game at 4k/120fps?, even SLI 2080ti's would struggle to do that in an amazingly optimized game.
The only game i could potentially see trying to do 4k/120fps (outside of experimental Inide game, or tech demo, like i said), would be a next gen Gran Turismo, i could see them trying it, but outside of them its a big NO lol.

VFXVeteran

Banned
At this point, seeing any games on good PC hardware is how it will look on next-gen consoles. The speed/resolution being the only factor in favor of the PC. I think all the other graphics features will finally be on par (except RTX). I'd be thankful to have the high texture res pack, 16x anisotropic filtering, SSR, tessellation and good HBAO.

Last edited:

Fake

I'm not using this game as a benchmark of anything, but at the same time, next gen consoles wouldnt be able to run this game at 4k/120fps, nevermind an actual next gen game lol.
Do you know how much power it would take to run a AAA game at 4k/120fps?, even SLI 2080ti's would struggle to do that in an amazingly optimized game.
The only game i could potentially see trying to do 4k/120fps (outside of experimental Inide game, or tech demo, like i said), would be a next gen Gran Turismo, i could see them trying it, but outside of them its a big NO lol.
I not talking to you in that post, but just re-read my post.
Is PC games already have a option to run games using dynamic resolution?
Maybe the recent Wolf game.
Optimizations on consoles are far better due to locked hardware, so even if you put the SLI still don't make the game a hard pushing software. Again, is a old batlle of using brutal force against poor optimization code.
If this Jedi game is pushing anything beyond idk, but there're a list of bugs, glitchs the game have been showing.

Again of again, I not saying the game will run at native 4K as PC games usally do. Console rather use different appounch. And even if so 60 fps vs 30 fps will always UP TO DEVS.

Even if we back in time and ask 'How Resident Evil 5 could run on PS3/Xbox360 for that time' and Capcom use some sort of dynamic AA with when the games turns hard to handle, the game complety turn off AA.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Launch bugs are things to considering when buying new games, I do think they should delay it.

I’m really glad I went with the PC version. I’m was debating on just going with the PS4 Pro, but I’m glad I didn’t. I initially had some issues with crashes, but after I updated my bios and drivers, and tweaked my RAM timings, everything’s been great.
I do wonder what the PS4 Pro version’s loading times would be like with an SSD installed internally.

Kind of expected giving it had to be out in time for the new Star wars movie. Even on PC I've seen people have issues where the framerate will just randomly cap at like 50FPS in select areas among other weird optimization bugs.

Launch bugs are things to considering when buying new games, I do think they should delay it.
Always the problem with licensed material. :/

Last edited:

RPGCrazied

I heard turning off Share User Data improves performance. Haven't tried myself. Could be my PS4 but I'm having issues on Pro. On quality mode it can run smooth for a short while before it starts stuttering. Also I'm seeing textures pop in pretty crazy, mostly in cutscenes though.

Love the game, but its clear its not very well optimized.

VFXVeteran

Banned
I not talking to you in that post, but just re-read my post.
Is PC games already have a option to run games using dynamic resolution?
Maybe the recent Wolf game.
Optimizations on consoles are far better due to locked hardware, so even if you put the SLI still don't make the game a hard pushing software. Again, is a old batlle of using brutal force against poor optimization code.
If this Jedi game is pushing anything beyond idk, but there're a list of bugs, glitchs the game have been showing.

Again of again, I not saying the game will run at native 4K as PC games usally do. Console rather use different appounch. And even if so 60 fps vs 30 fps will always UP TO DEVS.

Even if we back in time and ask 'How Resident Evil 5 could run on PS3/Xbox360 for that time' and Capcom use some sort of dynamic AA with when the games turns hard to handle, the game complety turn off AA.

I don't know what you are talking about. This is a 3rd party title with a universally acclaimed open-source graphics engine. There are no "closed" hardware tricks that will increase fps. The game is simply too much for current gen consoles.

JLB

Banned
Low native resolution found

540p on Xbox One
720p on PS4
756p on PS4 Pro
900p on Xbox One X

giphy.gif

And some really expect 4K/120fps on next gen while the current one has trouble with the 1080p,

The bump of both gpu and cpu on next gen will be serious, i wouldnt discard a def edition for pa5 and scarlett running up to that.

nowhat

I’m really glad I went with the PC version. I’m was debating on just going with the PS4 Pro, but I’m glad I didn’t. I initially had some issues with crashes, but after I updated my bios and drivers, and tweaked my RAM timings, everything’s been great.
I mean, I'm glad it's working out for you, but you've also made a good argument for why some people (myself included) prefer consoles.

I mean, I'm glad it's working out for you, but you've also made a good argument for why some people (myself included) prefer consoles.
I wasn’t trying to say the PC version was the objectively correct version, just that performance-wise, it seems the smoothest.

nowhat

I wasn’t trying to say the PC version was the objectively correct version, just that performance-wise, it seems the smoothest.
Oh sure, I'm not disputing that and it was to be expected, just a general remark. On a personal level, I'm a programmer by trade - when I get home from work, the last thing I want to do is mess with my computer's settings. But that's enough offtopic for me.

It's fine for Respawn and EA to target the high-end minority of consoles or even consoles of the future. I just won't buy their game.

Fake

I don't know what you are talking about. This is a 3rd party title with a universally acclaimed open-source graphics engine. There are no "closed" hardware tricks that will increase fps. The game is simply too much for current gen consoles.
'Closed' hardware? Wtf are you talking about dude? Optimization on consoles are far better than PC counterpart.

Again, using this game as some sort of benchmark for current console is bullshit. The game have a bunch of problems, glitches, poor optimization, runs using an agressive dynamic resolution plus temporal upsample and still fight to maintain the 30 fps and is even a linear game, but somehow is the current gen fault, not the code inself.

They're already so many games on PS4/Xbox One that push the machine to the limits. I don't know what you guys are seeing in this game for saying he is 'pushing' the console hardware.

Even Battlefront push some nice details than this.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
'Closed' hardware? Wtf are you talking about dude? Optimization on consoles are far better than PC counterpart.

Again, using this game as some sort of benchmark for current console is bullshit. The game have a bunch of problems, glitches, poor optimization, runs using an agressive dynamic resolution plus temporal upsample and still fight to maintain the 30 fps and is even a linear game, but somehow is the current gen fault, not the code inself.

They're already so many games on PS4/Xbox One that push the machine to the limits. I don't know what you guys are seeing in this game for saying he is 'pushing' the console hardware.

Even Battlefront push some nice details than this.

The game isn't just doing the average graphics features you see in any game today.

I'm not saying that there aren't some things that need to be optimized in their engine. I think the jutter can be solved. I also think that some of the things like the foot standing on the ground can be solved. But if you think it'll change to a higher resolution on base X1 or PS4, you will be mistaken.

The game is doing a lot of things brute force because it has to. It seems like they are using a deferred renderer but switching to forward rendering for transparencies. And their lighting computation is complex. You can see this in the caves when you hold the LB button for him. There is another shadow casting light attached to the lightsaber and it spreads out much further than the normal one. That means all the shaders have to be evaluated. I tested this several times. These are rendering slowdowns that won't go away.

Next gen consoles will be strong enough to play this game the way it is @4k/30FPS. That's what I'm running now and it's much more consistent albeit still some judder they have to get rid of.

Lastly, you can't compare this implementation of UE4 to other games. It's totally different assets, shaders, textures, etc.. BF is a Frostbite game. And it's levels are nowhere near as big or complex. It's a MP game.

Last edited:

Puskas

Alright, just like VG's analysis previously confirmed, the standard PS4 version hold up fairly well. Keeping an eye on a good Black Friday deal then.

Crossing my finger that they patch some of the issue in the meantime.

Last edited:

Ovek

7Member7
On my PS4 Pro I installed it on a external Angel Bird USB SSD and it significantly reduced the IO stream stuttering that almost made certain parts of the game unplayable.

I genuinely believe that this game was originally targeted at the next gen consoles but development was brought forward by EA, it would explain the performance issues and game "jank" you can encounter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom