• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs GTAV on XONE - performance analysis

Mr Moose

Under the video on the DF page...

Grand Theft Auto 5 running on PlayStation 4. Similar to the Xbox One version, we're looking at native 1080p with a capped 30fps frame-rate, though it looks like Sony owners are

Are what? I need to know!

Frame-rate is confirmed at 30fps, though the rare dropped frames seen on Xbox One are even less of an issue here.

It's probably talking about this.

what is the source of this picture? i just have a hard time believing the difference between the two platforms is large enough to where one version has missing clouds, grass, etc.

Gamingbolt comparison video.

The comparison is legit, there are gifs littered across the last few pages that show just how wide the difference is...

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
PC users should take this as a sign that they are willing to optimize the game for each platform.

-griffy-

Banned
Can we put an end to the foliage controversy? Because it is so difficult to do a gradient fade on a minimap in photoshop. http://youtu.be/ZL_26LXS4mM?t=2m12s. Roll back to 1:51 and you can see the button layouts. Only noticeable difference so far is the lack of lens flare.

What controversy? The XBO version clearly has grass in it, a considerable amount more than the last gen versions. The PS4 version simply has more. We have multiple comparisons now demonstrating that.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
Can we put an end to the foliage controversy? Because it is so difficult to do a gradient fade on a minimap in photoshop. http://youtu.be/ZL_26LXS4mM?t=2m12s. Roll back to 1:51 and you can see the button layouts. Only noticeable difference so far is the lack of lens flare.

I think the argument is that the X1 doesn't have foliage, it's that it does not have as much as the PS4. Which is silly TBH.

I live on my own so i would probably go for the PS4 version due to more grass (god that sounds silly to write lol) but i think choosing which version to buy because of which controller they like or which version their friends will be playing, is a lot better reason than the 100 page threads we get on here for every tiny difference XB1/PS4 games have.

People just need to get over the fact that some people find other things more important than just graphics or pixels so stop bringing console warz shite into it. Some people find other things more important.

I agree. People really need to stop coming into performance comparison threads and then proceeding to talk about those differences. Some people find other things more important. It's so annoying to go into performance discussion threads and see people going on and on about the performance differences between the two consoles. I mean dear god, why don't they like totes make a thread for something like that. Here I am in a performance thread wanting to talk about which controller feels better and these plebeians are talking about performance differences. Ugh the nerve of them…

RetroStu

Banned
I agree. People really need to stop coming into performance comparison threads and then proceeding to talk about those differences. Some people find other things more important. It's so annoying to go into performance discussion threads and see people going on and on about the performance differences between the two consoles. I mean dear god, why don't they like totes make a thread for something like that. Here I am in a performance thread wanting to talk about which controller feels better and these plebeians are talking about performance differences. Ugh the nerve of them…

You have completely missed the point i was making, good job.

Aeternal

Neo Member
I think the argument is that the X1 doesn't have foliage, it's that it does not have as much as the PS4. Which is silly TBH.
Alright.. I got the wrong impression then. Seemed like people were making it out to have a flat texture for every grass surface. More foliage per SQ footage would make sense lol

Ghazi

lol, guess that's what I get for getting a One. I can't believed I missed last gen version for this, which I probably won't bother with now :/

E: ok, so the One isn't just an uprez? That sounds much better.

Riky

$MSFT
I think I prefer some cuts in stuff like grass and keep the 1080p resolution and framerate solid for X1, I can't see anyone saying they would want more grass and 900p.

Chobel

Its like this 'pop' shite. I think the X1 version looks more vibrant and has better textures judging solely on the screen shots in this thread. I don't care WHY it does, if some people think this so called 'pop' looks better then its up to them.

You can have that "pop" by adjusting your TV video options.

MercuryLS

Banned
I remember last gen when the foliage was much richer and better looking for RDR on 360. Xbox fans were taking PS3 to task for that, this gen? Doesn't matter as much, lol. Sony fans were also downplaying the difference. It's funny how things can change.

The difference here is far more dramatic though, that's a big gap in foliage density.

THEF3AR

I like grass and I bought this for my Xbox One.

What the hell am I going to do now?

It's the end of the world, GAF.

Hold me.

Omni

lol, guess that's what I get for getting a One. I can't believed I missed last gen version for this, which I probably won't bother with now :/

I mean I'm disappointed and am not going to buy this on the Xbone again. But it's still a clear jump up from last gen...

ypo

Right?

Statistically most people's friends should be playing on PS4 at this point which is why reading that shit constantly makes me say wat

I don't think I've ever heard anyone saying friends are the reason for choosing the PS4 version but the other way is always *all my friends are playing the Xbone version.* lol A lot of sheeps bahhhing I guess.

Primeau31

E: ok, so the One isn't just an uprez? That sounds much better.

yeah, the game definitely looks and perform great on XBox One still, don't let these comparisons ruin the enjoyment for you.

ypo

The XBO version doesn't seem to have crushed blacks, just that one video with footage seems to have a bad capture of the XBO version. I think it's more an isolated issue, rather than a problem with the XBO version. Other comparisons (including those in this thread), show both versions look similar color wise, whereas others show the PS4 with crushed blacks and the XBO version looking "faded." Seems differences are entirely user generated due to improper capture or RGB settings.

No the crushed black is in other comparisons as well.

ironcreed

Banned

Hold me.

th

I don't think I've ever heard anyone saying friends are the reason for choosing the PS4 version but the other way is always *all my friends are playing the Xbone version.* lol A lot of sheeps bahhhing I guess.

People don't get criticized for purchasing the better performing version of any game. Why would you even expect to hear the reasoning you suggested for people buying the PS4 version?

Black crush didn't appear to be there in the short time I played it last night and I'm generally very sensitive to it. I'll report again later when I've played nighttime sequences, though.

goonergaz

I remember last gen when the foliage was much richer and better looking for RDR on 360. Xbox fans were taking PS3 to task for that, this gen? Doesn't matter as much, lol. Sony fans were also downplaying the difference. It's funny how things can change.

The difference here is far more dramatic though, that's a big gap in foliage density.

TBH I played it down beacuse the online was free (which was more important to me).

There's no denying, XBO owners are in for a treat - it's a good upgrade/HD remaster, I guess the question is (if they had the choice) would they have gone for 900p with more foliage?

Hold me.

I have pollen allergies - can anyone confirm what type of pollen the PS4 version has compared to the XBO version? Alphabetical by variety would be great thanks.

-griffy-

Banned

You mean like this one where the XBO version looks more "faded"?
RWA2KMR.gif

Or this one where the PS4 appears to have crushed blacks?
mc0Zqaa.png

I'm not seeing compelling evidence that the XBO version definitely has a problem with crushed blacks, that isn't chalked up to user/uploader error or simple time of day/weather differences.

ironcreed

Banned

I played RDR on PS3 and it was great. GTA V will be great for for those playing on Xbox One as well, but this is still a huge difference. Just going by the comparison shots it looks to be an even larger difference than RDR was in terms of foliage.

RetroStu

Banned
In his defense, I can't emphasize just how awful the point you were trying to make was within the context that this is a performance analysis thread.

Again you missed the point. I'm not saying anything about people comparing the graphics, i do it enough in these comparison threads, its what these threads are for.

On Demand

Banned
I love how the XB1's insignificant 1.75Ghz cpu advantage is now a thing but PS4's much larger GPU advantage always got brushed off as not that much of a difference. If it was thought the PS4's specs wouldn't amount to too much in real world performance, what in the hell do you think 1.75Ghz is going to do???????????????

Top Bottom