• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Warhammer 40K Darktide - Xbox Series X/S Tech Review - Can Consoles Handle A High-End PC Juggernaut?

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

Warhammer 40K Darktide is one of the most technically demanding games we've tested in recent times on PC, so there were always going to be questions asked about the extent to which the current generation consoles could match it - especially when it comes to the Xbox Series S version. In this review, Oliver Mackenzie discusses visual features, console comparisons and PC head-to-heads - along with performance, naturally.

00:00 Overview
00:59 Graphics and visual features
04:08 Console comparison and image quality
06:41 PC comparison
08:45 Performance
10:58 Analysis and conclusion

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
TL-DW

- "PC centric title" which launched with a lot of issues last year

Visuals:
- Uses in-house technology.
- Games environments have more detail than most single player titles
- Series X has Quality and Performance mode.
- Quality: 30 FPS - DRS 1368p
- Performance: 60 FPS - DRS 864p
- TAA minimizes aliasing in motion but jagged edges are seen when standing still
- Series S has single mode around 720p

- SX Quality Mode closely matches PC version at Max settings at 1440p (minus RT)
- SX Quality and Performance don't have other differences besides resolution / aliasing.
- PC versions TAA has better coverage but has more instability compared to console.
- DF thinks going with FSR2 would have been better.
- PC version has RT options (reflections and GI) missing from consoles

Performance:
- SX Quality mode: Solid 30 FPS with occasional drops to mid 20s.
- Series S's one mode is give or take the same as above.
- SX Performance mode is 60 FPS in general play but prone to drops to ~50 FPS when stressed
- Performance mode is DF's preferred way to play the game
- Network updates can cause judders when synching in network play

Conclusion:
- Visually impressive title let down by some quirks.

Last edited:

Zuzu

Gamepass is on fire lately. I hope they will improve the AA in a future patch, but quality mode looks pretty good for me. Performance mode is ugly on my 4k tv but is alright when I play on my 1080p monitor.

intbal

This is also the first ever game I've seen where TAA breaks when standing still but works when you're moving. Usually it's the other way around lol.
Seemingly the TAA implementation doesn't use jittered samples. It just uses previous frames "as rendered". Which means when you're standing still, it's just repeating the exact same rendering and blending it with itself. That should be fixable.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I have this downloaded. Now comes the waiting game. Will I get around to playing it before it gets taken down.

hlm666

Game ran like absolute shit on PC last I checked. Has it been improved?
I only seen performance complaints at launch about how heavy the RT was, that got improved in a patch about a month after release so I could get about 70fps with both RT effects on (reflections and gi). I could hit over 100fps 1440p without RT on with a 3080 at launch.

Mr Moose

Horrible shimmering on PC. The bars in part of the video look round on PC and square on Xbox (6:57). Missing details on Xbox version but the nasty ass CA on PC makes that look worse in parts (7:05). Character models are a bit shit, weapons look decent enough.

Game ran like absolute shit on PC last I checked. Has it been improved?

Seems fine for me. I run it with 2.2x DLDSR & performance DLSS at 4K (End up with a really clean image) with high settings, rarely ever drops below a 72fps cap on a 3090.

Raytracing is still a bit naff. Runs ok with the same settings using RTGI & reflections with a 60fps cap instead about 80% of the time, but there are still problem areas of stages where the framerate can tank to the low 40's (noticeable even with VRR). Shame as the RTGI is a perfect fit for the environments and looks great, but I run without RT.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Actually do want to play this but i'll prob wait to see if it gets improved any further... prob wont though.

I played a couple of missions, outside of the jaggies, the game looks and plays pretty well on SX in Performance mode. Give it a shot, you might enjoy it.

Last edited:

splattered

I played a couple of missions, outside of the jaggies, the game looks and plays pretty well on SX in Performance mode. Give it a shot, you might enjoy it.
I watched my son play some yesterday and it actually looked pretty good in passing. Voice acting was amusing. Yeah might give this a shot and play with him soon.

Top Bottom