• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Xbox Series X Back-Compat Tests "Hugely Impressive"

ManaByte

Gold Member

Today, we can lift the lid on just how powerful Xbox Series X is when it comes to backwards compatibility - and to cut a long story short, it's hugely impressive.

However, it's important to stress one thing: while Series X runs old games with full clocks, every compute unit and the full 12 teraflop of compute, it does so in compatibility mode - you aren't getting the considerable architectural performance boosts offered by the RDNA 2 architecture.

Fake

The analysis you've been waiting for! Rich goes hands-on with Xbox Series X and puts its backwards compatibility capabilities to the most extreme tests possible. How much more graphics power does the compatibility mode deliver? Can it deliver 60fps on some of the most challenging Xbox One X games we've looked at over the years? The answers may surprise you.
There may be the some consternation that Series X back-compat isn't a cure-all to all performance issues on all games, but again, this is the GPU running in compatibility mode, where it emulates the behaviour of the last generation Xbox - you aren't seeing the architectural improvements to performance from RDNA 2, which Microsoft says is 25 per cent to the better, teraflop to teraflop. And obviously, these games are not coded for RDNA 2 or Series X, meaning that access to the actual next-gen features like variable rate shading or mesh shaders simply does not exist.

Summary:
- Rich say he select games that are more probably gain boost from Series X
- Much of them are games with option of unlock the frame rate or remove the 30 cap.
- 'It's confirmed that while back-compat gets 12TF of compute power, this is in compatibility mode - you *aren't* seeing the architectural improvements of RDNA 2, including its IPC boost. Rather you're seeing what a 12TF GCN-based console with Zen 2 would've looked like.'
- Games tested: Rise of Tomb Raider, Call of Duty Modern Warfare, Dead or Alive 6, Hitman, Hitman 2, Monster Hunter World, Sekiro, GT4, Final Fantasy 15
- While unlocked on Xbox One X, Series X use the same option as Xbox One X
- Games that did lock the frame rate to 60 fps: Rise of Tomb Raider, Call of Duty MW, Dead or Alive 6, GT4 and Final Fantasy
- There are a feel games that don't match 60 with minor drops: Sekiro, Hitman and Monster Hunter World
- Rich tested the quick resume as well. Working very good
- Jump between GT4 , Call of Duty MW and Doom. The game act like you paused the game. Works like savestate on emulators
- Loading times. He tested two games
- On FFXV, Xbox One X take 63,3 while Series X take 11,6 seconds

Last edited:
Reminder:

There may be the some consternation that Series X back-compat isn't a cure-all to all performance issues on all games, but again, this is the GPU running in compatibility mode, where it emulates the behaviour of the last generation Xbox - you aren't seeing the architectural improvements to performance from RDNA 2, which Microsoft says is 25 per cent to the better, teraflop to teraflop. And obviously, these games are not coded for RDNA 2 or Series X, meaning that access to the actual next-gen features like variable rate shading or mesh shaders simply does not exist.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
7Jr8.gif

chonga

I don't get why Richard is painting this as some kind of marvel. I mean isn't this the least we expected from this thing? Bumping up frame rates in the mid 40s plus to full 60... you'd expect that and more from a device with double the graphical performance and even greater CPU performance gain. Anything else would be a failure.

I don't get why Richard is painting this as some kind of marvel. I mean isn't this the least we expected from this thing? Bumping up frame rates in the mid 40s plus to full 60... you'd expect that and more from a device with double the graphical performance and even greater CPU performance gain. Anything else would be a failure.
It's a marvel because Microsoft is the only one doing it. Sony isn't going to do this level of compatibility, and Nintendo isn't even trying.

Skifi28

Not quite a lock in many cases, but really impressive overall results. Many games with unlocked framerates out there, testing one's library should be really fun. I wonder how Fallen Order would fare. It would also be interesting to see if the performance mode of Monster Hunter that is 1080p is a complete 60 lock.

It's a marvel because Microsoft is the only one doing it. Sony isn't going to do this level of compatibility, and Nintendo isn't even trying.

I don't know about that. The whole point is that you don't really need to do anything other than let the hardware bruteforce its way through. I do expect similar results from the PS5.

Last edited:

chonga

I don't think you understand. The gushing from Richard is over the technical performance, not that it is merely happening. And honestly I watched the video and was left thinking... yeah... and... this is the minimum I expected from XSX.

Andodalf

Banned
Not quite a lock in many cases, but really impressive overall results. Many games with unlocked framerates out there, testing one's library should be really fun. I wonder how Fallen Order would fare. It would also be interesting to see if the performance mode of Monster Hunter that is 1080p is a complete 60 lock.

I'm holding out on playing Fallen Order rn for this reason. I've got it but wasn't in love with performance. I hope it gets a next gen patch to go with some dlc

Fake

Just scanned through. Not very impressive. Feels underwhelming considering you are upgrading a GPU with double the flops (for example 1070 to 2080Ti).

Watch you're seeing is what most PC games do when you upgrade your PC. Using the brute force of Series X to get a boost on games. Even so, is a quite boost. IDK what you're expecting from this.
The ideal is every game tested get a update to take advanced of the Series X architecture pretty much like PRO and X receive.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member

I see nothing wrong with being enthusiastic about it. ..Unless you was born yesterday I'm sure you know about the historical context of BC and thus why we don't always take it for granted, especially not actual improvements on original games.

Quick Resume puts you straight back into the game - the system itself simply acts as though you've pressed the pause button. Interestingly though, I did note that the 6.5 second loading times I saw at Microsoft HQ back in March are now around 12 to 20 seconds. It's true that I was using different games, mind you, but as great as it is, it's not quite as immediate as it felt during my time at the Redmond mothership.

What is going on here?

Corpsepyre

Banned
Yeah, this is good stuff. MS really should be lauded for their amazing backward compatibility efforts. Some very good performance gains there.

Here's hoping Sony answers with equally impressive first party gains for their games.

I don't know about that. The whole point is that you don't really need to do anything other than let the hardware bruteforce its way through. I do expect similar results from the PS5.
I don't think you understand. The gushing from Richard is over the technical performance, not that it is merely happening. And honestly I watched the video and was left thinking... yeah... and... this is the minimum I expected from XSX.
You guys are crazy. This is impressive stuff. Supporting Xbox 360 games, injecting HDR, and adding game-specific updates is above and beyond normal backwards compatibility.

chonga

I see nothing wrong with being enthusiastic about it. ..Unless you was born yesterday I'm sure you know about the historical context of BC and thus why we don't always take it for granted, especially not actual improvements on original games.
But you're talking about the fact it exists again. Forget about it existing. We can all be pleased it exists, but we are talking about the technical performance here. This is Digital Foundry not your local soap box.

Richard has a hard on over how well it can bump games there were running at 45-60fps to a locked 60. How is this anything other than expected, and therefore why would you be so enthused about that and talk about it in a way that makes it sound like some incredible feat never before imagined.

Orky

Banned
Reminder:

why not take his conclusion? Why some out of context text passage? Because it doesn’t fit your narrative?
But that's where I am with Xbox Series X backwards compatibility - and I'm hugely impressed by the results.

The boost to system performance compared to Xbox One X is clearly tremendous and I'm liking Microsoft's commitment to the Xbox library and putting so much resource into producing results like the ones I've detailed today. Right now, I think that Series X back-compat delivers circa 2x GPU power, limited perhaps a touch by memory bandwidth, and offers what amounts to a bottomless pit of CPU resources to the point where I don't feel I hit processor limits at all during my tests.

The fact that Microsoft is talking about 4x resolution multipliers and double frame-rate upgrades says to me that the firm knows there's something special here - and I really want to see these features deployed as broadly as possible. The dream would be to see frame-rate unlocking as a system level feature, just as Auto HDR is.

Orky

Banned
Exactly this. Series X targeted the unrealistic target at 4k with merely 12T flops, putting it in an awkward position.
I expected PS5 performs much better in BC at 1440p.

What? PS5 will play almost all the games exactly the same as they are on PS4. They won’t be different. Only 100 games will have a boosted FPS or res. We don’t know yet.

Top Bottom