• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry's Alex on Project Eve's main female character: "old (2000's) and not flattering to a Modern Audience...in comparison to...Forespoken"

Status
Not open for further replies.

CGiRanger

Banned

Would that be wrong? I know I saw a better collage of this "Danger Haircut" that is going around everywhere these days (the one that Teela from He-Man got stuck with in the latest show)
Masters-of-the-Universe-Revelation-Teela-and-Castle-Grayskull.jpg

Last edited:

lmimmfn

I honestly dont know why gaming "journalists" or whatever in gaming are allowed to voice their political/social viewpoints on games, it should be banned, talk about the game, not whether its not correct to show a dwarf with a 2 foot dong(although that would be funny lol)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Would that be wrong? I know I saw a better collage of this "Danger Haircut" that is going around everywhere these days (the one that Teela from He-Man got stuck with in the latest show)

You know the drill.

Long hair = sexy and weak

Short hair = manly and strong

Since game makers are trying to ride the trend of society's desires, who knew female gamers associated powerful main characters with having men's haircuts.

Last edited:

GrayDock

I mean, if he thinks that's 'outdated' for him, ok, it's his opinion and good for him, but saying that it's true for all the gamers it's stretching a lot.
Her outfit could be a little less shining, but I will play it nonetheless.

lmimmfn

I mean, if he thinks that's 'outdated' for him, ok, it's his opinion and good for him, but saying that it's true for all the gamers it's stretching a lot.
Her outfit could be a little less shining, but I will play it nonetheless.
if im playing a game for 20-30 hours i prefer(if i have a choice) something that is pleasing to the eye, not some fat short haired bird or her looking like a bloke. If its a game with a bloke only then fine but ive 0 interest in bird that looks like a bloke(if devs want that let me just choose a bloke, a proper one not some femboy mashup).

Last edited:
Because of this thread I've gained greater clarity about the future of gaming in various places around the world. I can see where we're moving in various regions.

I am officially announcing that I have upgraded my Project EVE status from "maybe interested" to "day one purchase." Korea is just now beginning to push into AAA gaming and this could be one of the very earliest steps into what could be some of the best games of the next 20 years. I will look at this game as a future investment and show of support.

Going to do the same thing with Black Goku Wukong.

Last edited:

Tarkus98

Major props to the developers for not pulling any punches with Eve’s design. She’s sweet looking with a banging body in a time when it’s obviously not PC to portray women in this way. And yes she does stand out from the rest of the character designs. An obvious choice and a clever one at that.
I said it before in a previous thread and I’ll say it again, fuck the haters. We need more of this to re-balance the scale that has recently gotten horrendously out of whack.
Still looking forward to getting this game and hoping this may begin a trend in the right direction IMHO.

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
I don't understand this nonsense. Why can't women in games be good-looking? I don't even like this anime-style stuff, but if there is a big backlash against it for having an attractive protagonist, I think I will just buy it for that.

Imagine gamers raging against a character like Kratos because he isn't "representative" for males... Or am I the only one on this forum who isn't in the same physical shape as him?

Last edited:

Vaelka

I am just so tired of this if you don't like a character you can just move on with your day and ignore it.
It's also extremely hypocritical how these same people will freak out when people complain about characters being too unattractive but then complaining about this is apparently fine?

Not every fucking character in existence is meant to appeal to Mr Alex, grow up and stop being so entitled.

She's completely distracting in that she stands out from the background too much, that hyper shiny butt and 4m legs looks rediculous against a really well done post apocalyptic landscape, the art style is all over the place but then again it's designed to appeal to cunts with anime avatars, should add I'm not against female characters being asethically pleasing to the eye but I'd feel embarrassed as fuck playing this and the wife walked in...

Then don't play it, I just don't understand what the point of being a shithead about it is.
Your wife just sounds boring tbh, but no one really cares about what your wife thinks your wife is not entitled to like every game and neither are you.

Are we really at the point where '' my wife '' needs to be okay with the games you play?
It went from '' my mom '' and now it's your wife rofl.
You're an adult you can play whatever you want.

Last edited:

Vaelka

that weeby bitch looks like she ran straight out of a free hentai character creator online tool.
they could at least set the body type above 12 years

no surprise the damn twitter complaining had a weeb avatar.
it's always the fucking weeb avatars that cry when someone attacks their waifu overlords .

forspoken chick looks hawt af kinda like brittney white

If you think that she looks like a twelve year old then maybe the FBI needs to pay you a visit.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Same way western developers are free to make their female design look like men then others also free design their characters “sexy”. They shouldn’t change their design just because someone easily “distracted” by it.

I hate the idea telling devs how should they design their own game. You either like what they make or you don’t.

Vaelka

Same way western developers are free to make their female design look like men then others also free design their characters “sexy”. They shouldn’t change their design just because someone easily “distracted” by it.

I hate the idea telling devs how should they design their own game. You either like what they make or you don’t.
This five hundred percent, I don't have a problem with people having tastes what I have a problem with it is the condescending attitude.
It's not that fucking hard to just go '' this ain't for me '' and move on, you don't need to start going on about '' hurr durr this is outdated and offensive, massively proportions whatevers distasteful and inappropriate ''.

He was clearly referring to her breasts too and I dunno wtf universe he lives in where those are '' massive '' lol.
They're not even that big and even if they were so what?

I find it pretty funny too how these guys talk about how it's distracting etc, like they're just exposing their own misogyny.
If you can't take something or a person seriously because they're attractive then that says a lot more about you than the game or that person.
He's the one sexually objectifying the character.
Obviously the character is attractive and is sexualized, but there is a difference between thinking that and just writing the character off completely as nothing but that.

Which is exactly what he was doing and is the definition of sexual objectification.
And in the end of the day he's a guy sitting in his armchair policing how women dress and how their bodies '' should '' look like etc and he doesn't see how inappropriate that is?
Saying that women being attractive is '' too distracting '' and that you can't take them seriously and acknowledge them beyond that is like misogyny 101, he sounds like an ultra conservative old man.
That shit belongs in Saudi Arabia or something not the developed world.
I wonder if he'd talk to real women that way, the character from Project Eve isn't even that sexualized it was mainly camera angles in the end of the day she mostly just has a skintight bodysuit ( which men in comics have had since forever ).
So I wonder what he thinks about irl women who show cleavage or have any curves..

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Don't be bringing Teela into this...and keep in mind they couldn't just come right out and say she was munching carpet there for awhile after she thought her bone throne was dead. If anything, it seemed more like Kevin Smith & co. just being very on the nose about the few things they could get away with to convey that particular "adult" element to the plot.

Vaelka

I don't understand this nonsense. Why can't women in games be good-looking? I don't even like this anime-style stuff, but if there is a big backlash against it for having an attractive protagonist, I think I will just buy it for that.

Imagine gamers raging against a character like Kratos because he isn't "representative" for males... Or am I the only one on this forum who isn't in the same physical shape as him?
The thing is that Korean games do sexualize male characters too but these people don't bitch about that.
Male characters in Korean games often look like K-pop idols.

Kratos isn't really sexualized in the normal sense, I think he's a bit too gruff.
But both Japanese and Korean devs do sexualize male characters and make them look more like models.
Korean games do have the massive muscle mountains of doom too but then they also have characters that look like the Male Castanics from Tera those are very common.
I mean heck the Japanese devs for FFXIV are now adding Male Viera this expansion..........

Even LoL players have begun noticing and complaining how every new male character and even monster characters that get new human skins look like male models and have mysteriously lost their shirts.
And Riot do appeal a lot to China.
Asian devs and games for Asian markets do sexualize male characters too...

CGiRanger

Banned
Oh look, another reason why I never buy western pozzed shit anymore. If a female character isn't a sidecut dangerhair trope then it's "sexist".
Does anyone know where this "Sidecut DangerHair" thing started? because for real it's like become so prevalent that I've seen it far far more in games than any other media (some films sure), and I've never seen that hairstyle in real life at all. What exactly is it supposed to represent? Aside from making the female character look more male?

Last edited:

Neolombax

She's completely distracting in that she stands out from the background too much, that hyper shiny butt and 4m legs looks rediculous against a really well done post apocalyptic landscape, the art style is all over the place but then again it's designed to appeal to cunts with anime avatars, should add I'm not against female characters being asethically pleasing to the eye but I'd feel embarrassed as fuck playing this and the wife walked in...
I personally am not worried about the wife, she's mostly fine with all this. I'm more worried about the kids.

supernova8

Banned
I dont think this is a big deal both ways. He’s right that Forspoken is more modern in character design but I think both can co exist.

Lets hope both games are good cause they both looked fun to me.

Yeah I'm also in the middle. The Project EVE character is clearly over the top and does look stupid. In contrast, seems like they made the Forspoken character less attractive than she actually is in real life. I'd say the Tomb Raider model for the reboot titles is a good middle-ground. She's hot but her outfit is functional considering the setting and nothing is too muted nor too over the top.

vpance

Does anyone know where this "Sidecut DangerHair" thing started? because for real it's like become so prevalent that I've seen it far far more in games than any other media (some films sure), and I've never seen that hairstyle in real life at all. What exactly is it supposed to represent? Aside from making the female character look more male?

Pretty sure she kicked it off. Hunger Games in 2014. I saw a Russian girl at my work with this cut around the same time.

EU-7TwXX0AA0Cxk.jpg

Boglin

If you can't take something or a person seriously because they're attractive then that says a lot more about you than the game or that person.
He's the one sexually objectifying the character.
Obviously the character is attractive and is sexualized, but there is a difference between thinking that and just writing the character off completely as nothing but that.

The type of people who are obsessed with their own identity have a tendency to perceive and reduce other people to simple identities. It's interesting how that discriminating mentality has turned against fictional beings as well.

What I'm curious about is when exactly does a sexy female design transition into being considered sexist. It's obviously okay for people to fantasize and jerk off to imaginary things so the line has to be somewhere in between "someone's imagination" and "commercial product".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom