• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry's Best Games of 2023: The Oliver Mackenzie Collection

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Sorry to hijack your thread and completely unrelated, but I was watching a DF video and paused to go get something to eat and got this:
OFl2VPX.png

Why does Alex always makes these weird faces lmao? I don't even notice them live.

Last edited:
Who is this guy at DF? I follow DF tangentially and only know those 3 main guys: Jonathan, Dick, and Alexis.

Last edited:

Edellus

Oliver is a brave man for having such a GOTY list out in the public.

I'm glad he enjoyed FFXVI so much for it to have been his clear No. 1 GOTY.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
I'm just in here to let everyone know Dead Island 2 needs more love. Solid game.

/Don't really agree with this list but to each their own. Dead Space Remake is one of my biggest disappointments of the year.

Last edited:

tommib

I’m not alone in thinking FF16 is an absolute spectacular experience. Everything in it pushed my buttons. Followed closely by AC6.

I just couldn’t get enough of FF16. It was jarring reading people fed up with side quests when I was already sad that I was reaching the end game. That game could go on forever. The visuals, the music, the gorgeous characters, the mature tone, what a package.

He's the best contributor on that channel these days. I mean, compared to 'Three-Chins' Linneman, 'Teeth' Leadbetter and 'Man-Baby' Battaglia he's a fucking superstar.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
He's the best contributor on that channel these days. I mean, compared to 'Three-Chins' Linneman, 'Teeth' Leadbetter and 'Man-Baby' Battaglia he's a fucking superstar.

What's the issue with them? I was under the impression Digital Foundry generally did pretty good work.

I’m not alone in thinking FF16 is an absolute spectacular experience. Everything in it pushed my buttons. Followed closely by AC6.

I just couldn’t get enough of FF16. It was jarring reading people fed up with side quests when I was already sad that I was reaching the end game. That game could go on forever. The visuals, the music, the gorgeous characters, the mature tone, what a package.

It's def better than it's given credit for here. Also, how did it not make DF's top 10 graphics for '23?

Skifi28

It was a game of high highs and very low lows. When you were going 1v1 against a boss and then the next boss back to back, it was the best thing I played this year and I couldn't put it down. On the other hand, when you were serving as a messenger for NPCs 30 meters apart I wanted to die from boredom, just let me fight something already or find a better way to tell the story between cinematics.

The game had everything it needed to be a 9/10 epic, but some design decisions like the archaic quest design or dumbing the rpg elements/customization down left me a bit disappointed. It also takes way too long for the combat to become good. By the time you have unlocked everything and are having the time of your life experimenting, it's almost over. The story was surprisingly good, but it also overstayed it's welcome in certain chapters.

As a personal issue, why the hell couldn't I disable the auto sprint? Let me sprint only when I want to damn it! I hated that awkward animation when the regular running animation was so good.

Last edited:

BigLee74

Dead space remake was good, but it was only a slightly reworked 10 year old game. Surely there were many better games released this year?

Saber

Gold Member

He is very mid at best. He usually says over and over repeated sentences about the game he is reviewing at the start of his videos and he doesn't show much confidence. Still better to watch than the likes of Retardalia, which is the worst thing about DF.

John is better off covering his Retro stuff, which is one of best things about DF. His tech reviews are usually great, but he uses alot of hyperlobe and act as if his tastes are a fact. And some of his tastes are straight up bad.
Tom Morgan is a good tech reviewer, his content is usually entertaiment to watch.

Leadbetter is pretty much the best DF can offer. His takes in general are most wise beyond his group, have knowledge to deal with comments and is the only one with integrity there.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

I'm just in here to let everyone know Dead Island 2 needs more love. Solid game.

/Don't really agree with this list but to each their own. Dead Space Remake is one of my biggest disappointments of the year.
No, it really doesn't.

It's a piece of downgraded dogshit that should've NEVER been released. Uninstalled it after three hours.

Fbh

Well so far John clearly has the better taste.

It was a game of high highs and very low lows. When you were going 1v1 against a boss and then the next boss back to back, it was the best thing I played this year and I couldn't put it down. On the other hand, when you were serving as a messenger for NPCs 30 meters apart I wanted to die from boredom, just let me fight something already or find a better way to tell the story between cinematics.

The game had everything it needed to be a 9/10 epic, but some design decisions like the archaic quest design or dumbing the rpg elements/customization down left me a bit disappointed. It also takes way too long for the combat to become good. By the time you have unlocked everything and are having the time of your life experimenting, it's almost over. The story was surprisingly good, but it also overstayed it's welcome in certain chapters.

As a personal issue, why the hell couldn't I disable the auto sprint? Let me sprint only when I want to damn it! I hated that awkward animation when the regular running animation was so good.

It's a 7/10 action game combined with a 5/10 RPG.
Which technically would mean it's a 6/10 but I guess the music, presentation and decent (but eventually underwhelming) story elevate it to a solid 7/10.

Last edited:
Top Bottom