• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: X1 memory performance improved for production console/ESRAM 192 GB/s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly don't understand why some are riled up. This hardly makes much of a difference from what we had before. Makes life for developers on Xbox One a little easier.

Is your new thread button broken? :p

From a power standpoint and probably ease of development?

Just because something looks better on paper, doesn't mean it is. I'm getting a PS4, but I would never say something is better than another thing without actually testing it.

Krilekk

Banned
No downclocking? B...b...b...but it was a #truthfact. Like Pop. And Mirror's Edge 2. And no PS4 paywall. And even worse DRM.

Yet it may make it harder as this does throw into question that the downclock maybe true

Sooner or later we will know about that. Detective gaf doing math right now, but until someone like Cboat spills da beans, or a dev in a couple of month we won't know.

As that couldn't have been a lot longer ago than 2 years, you should find these posts and expose them.

I've been reading these rumor thread since they came up and I don't remember the statement that the amount of memory would not matter at all.

I do remember the statement that even though the PS4 had less, the argument was (back then) that 192GB/s bandwidth was the better trade-off, still.

I believe the big deal is how much ram is accessible in one frame right? Even with just 4 GB of Gddr5 the PS4 could access like 3 GB in a single frame, and the Xbox one only 1?

If somebody could speak about that it would be great, since that to me meant more about the differences in ram and bandwidth usage than anything else.

No downclocking? B...b...b...but it was a #truthfact. Like Pop. And Mirror's Edge 2. And no PS4 paywall. And even worse DRM.

Cboat didn't talk about downclocks, he talked about yields. Which still seems real considering MS is launching in less markets, and will have less units available.

Mirrors Edge 2 exist. And... DRM? Really DRM wasn't real man? lol

Umm, as far as I can tell, the conversations seems to be that the numbers posted by DF are actually suggesting that a downclock has happened.

vpance

Honestly don't understand why some are riled up. This hardly makes much of a difference from what we had before. Makes life for developers on Xbox One a little easier.

It's either easier, or actually harder, depending on whether or not the whole thing is just PR spin. Until a confirmed MHz clock figure is released, err on the side of spin.

Freki

You might want to get your facts straight:
- low yields are a #truthfact
- ME2 was shown
- no PS4 paywall was explicitly marked as unconfirmed
- cboat apologized for pop (I personally think he saw the beginning of the Halo trailer)

2San

Downclocking was never a truthfact. cboat only mentioned yield problems. He said that he couldn't confirm "no paywall". ME2 was there, but at the wrong conference. Even worse DRM couldn't be confirmed since MS did the 180.

I'm surprised this thread has gotten so large. The realistic throughput looks to be now 133Gb/s which is an improvement from 102Gb/s, but hardly a game changer.

So downclock inadvertently confirmed?

Wow. Does this mean we can expect to see an increase in number of units available at launch?

Would there still be yield issues if they've downclocked?

SRTtoZ

I'm at work on my ipad, I can make one when I get home in an hour or two.

People dont realize how much Gafing is done on an iPad. Id say 75% of my gaffing is done on an iPad.

Back to the thread:

So a thread that started out as XB1 getting better memory performance turns out to really be a downclock confirmation. Lol amazing.

Leonidas

Reads more like creative accounting to disguise a GPU downclock from 800MHz by 50MHz.

750 (freq) * 128 (bits) = 96 GB/s
96 GB/s * 2 (simultaneous read/write) = 192 GB/s

How much does MS pay you to write this garbage, Leadbetter?

Holy mother of thread backfire! Leadbetter strikes again only this time he's more transparent than ever.

MaGlock

Why would you make another thread to discuss this article? isnt that what this thread is for. or do you just want to make one with a sensationalist thread title/?

Kyon

Banned

Wow. Does this mean we can expect to see an increase in number of units available at launch?

I think In the first few pages ppl were saying it confirms a downclock but it wasn't till now that it was brought up again lol

ekim

Well Albert Penello joined the discussion in the thread about his interview with OXM - I asked him about the downclock.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Except that math doesn't equal what the article is saying in its entirety.

Well what does it say? I would say the info he got was purposely convoluted to hide the math. This whole thing smells like a smoke screen. "we didn't get slower, we got faster" (with hand waving math).

Yes. If downclocking is being utilized by MS. Personally I am not saying they are using such a practice. But if so then it very well may increase the number of available units as threshold testing would allow more of the production yield to pass standards.

ekim

Well what does it say? I would say the info he got was purposely convoluted to hide the math. This whole thing smells like a smoke screen. "we didn't get slower, we got faster" (with hand waving math).

It says that a dev told him, that MS told him, ESram got better and that there is no information about a downclock. MS would tell them is this was the case.

Averon

A downclock from 800mhz to 750mhz is pretty small compared to what was thrown around before, which was anywhere from a 100mhz-300mhz downclock.

Kyon

Banned
Why would you make another thread to discuss this article? isnt that what this thread is for. or do you just want to make one with a sensationalist thread title/?

Because this

Holy shit if this winds up being the confirmation of the down clock versus being a spec upgrade that refutes it.

The numbers don't lie, it's perfectly in line with the rumor about the downclock plus they're pretty much admitting they adding read/write which is absolutely absurd. Add that to the fact that Leadbetter is one shady fuck and voila, you've got the truth underneath tons of PR manure he's copy pasting knowingly, unless he's an idiot.

The downclock math deserves a new thread IMO. It's nuts that DF may have inadvertently confirmed it.

First they the sources say single write is still 102. Secondly they are using an admittedly vague term about "holes." So everyone takes that means full read write ability when the wording says the opposite that they are using some mysterious open period. Which they then admit is propably about 133 GB in reality. People are assuming things themselves that conflict with still confusing information in the article.

SRTtoZ

Where does he state this? In the article he asks his source about the down clock and his source says MS hasn't said anything about down clocking the X1.

Because the math in the article makes ZERO sense. When someone actually started trying to make sense of it all they came up with this:

Reads more like creative accounting to disguise a GPU downclock from 800MHz by 50MHz.

How much does MS pay you to write this garbage, Leadbetter?

That shows a downclock and makes sense when actual math is considered. Is it 100% confirmed? Idk

shandy706

Why people think that memory bandwidth is gonna make your games leaps and bounds better? At 1080p there's no real benefit on it, maybe some games could squish 2 or 5 more fps but that's it.

People act like the two GPUs are light years apart, which cracks me up. In reality they are very similar. That "50% power" difference is funny too. At 1080p you simply aren't going to see much of a difference.

In reality you get a tiny FPS (frames per second) boost that may not even matter and similar very high settings vs possible high settings (using PC "wording" there). We'll probably have 3rd party games where the X1 runs a game at 68fps and the PS4 runs it at 85fps...both would be locked to 60fps on both. They're so similar I doubt you'll see any worthy games sub-30fps.

Granted, sub-30fps seemed to be a norm for multiple PS4 games at E3.

A downclock from 800mhz to 750mhz is pretty small compared to what was thrown around before, which was anywhere from a 100mhz-300mhz downclock.

1.23/800*750= 1.153125 TFLOPS

Now remember that Microsoft said that only 90% of the 1.23 TFLOPS are usable for games, and the rest is needed for the system (probably Kinect etc.), which is 123GFLOPS. Because it is unlikely that this amount has changed, we have to consider it too:

1.23/800*750-0.123 = 1.030125 TFLOPS for games

This would make the PS4's GPU up to 79% more powerful (66% if PS4 has also 123GFLOPS reserved).

people are extrapolating a downclock based on assumptions that they know how the ESRAM hardware works within the console and math.

EagleEyes

I'm confused, I just read the article and it said there was no evidence of a downclock but people here are saying Ledbetter gave it inadvertantly away that there was? Clue me in.

coldfoot

Banned
People act like the two GPUs are light years apart, which cracks me up. In reality they are very similar. That "50% power" difference is funny too. At 1080p you simply aren't going to see much of a difference.
You can see a difference in 480p let alone 1080p. It's not the resolution, it's how much computation you do before finding which color a pixel should be.

We'll probably have 3rd party games where the X1 runs a game at 68fps and the PS4 runs it at 85fps...both would be locked to 60fps on both. They're so similar I doubt you'll see any worthy games sub-30fps.
Or you'll get 40 fps in the Xbone and 60 on the PS4. Or 24 on the Xbone and 30 on the PS4.

Granted, sub-30fps seemed to be a norm for multiple PS4 games at E3.
That clearly means PS4 is shit, amirite?

Vestal

Gold Member
people are extrapolating a downclock based on assumptions that they know how the ESRAM hardware works within the console and math.
are we even sure the esram runs synchronously?
I was reading a paper by IBM earlier which stated that it could come in both flavors async or sync

Spongebob

Banned
At 750MHz the GPU would be 1.152TFLOPS, but we know that games only have access to 90% of that which makes the actual number available to devs 1.037TFLOPS.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
At 750MHz the GPU would be 1.152TFLOPS, but we know that games only have access to 90% of that which makes the actual number available to devs 1.037TFLOPS.

Well it is possible the eSRAM has an independent clock maybe?

more like 95%

Because both consoles have the same architecture, this makes them more similar to each other than many PCs. We know that you can easily change settings on a more powerful PCs and have better graphics, because modern engines have very good scaling, so it's to be assumed that the same is true for consoles and your post is most likely wrong.

SSM25

What would the GPU be at in TFs @ 750 , 1.15 ?

Not a significant downgrade at all and brings yield improvements I guess..

Scooter

Banned
These are tales from your asses because you are assuming something without factual knowledge of the matter. But carry on...

These are tales of a science called mathematics.

To summarize

Before
750 * 128 = 102 GB/sec
After

Please point at the part that is supposedly "from my ass".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom