• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigiTimes: Foxconn trialing production of NX, ~10m units expected annually

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrus

The latest you'll hear something is the investor's meeting. They will.assuredly talk about some aspects there. Patience, people.

If we don't here something by the meeting, then its delayed. It's probably gonna go something like this on the day: "We have decided to wait until the new year to reveal the NX platform, and will now be releasing NX in the summer. We will not be discussing any thing else on NX in this meeting." Then the same day we'll get a lame Nintendo tweet saying " Next summer experience a whole new Nintendo with the NX!" Followed by " Mario is nearly here, on your phones!" GAF riots.

No more patience. They need to reveal it now.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I'm expecting them to say nothing yet again. I can see them keeping their mouths shut until December.
Note that Nintendo's FY 2016 Semi-Annual Financial Results Briefing tentatively scheduled for October 27, 10:00 AM JST, is the final results briefing before calendar year end. It is also likely to be a Corporate Management Policy Briefing. Not saying anything about NX then I think most likely would cause confusion among analysts and investors. I am expecting Nintendo to talk about NX on October 27 (maybe even on October 26 in a news conference connected to the earnings release).

If we don't here something by the meeting, then its delayed. It's probably gonna go something like this on the day: "We have decided to wait until the new year to reveal the NX platform, and will now be releasing NX in the summer. We will not be discussing any thing else on NX in this meeting." Then the same day we'll get a lame Nintendo tweet saying " Next summer experience a whole new Nintendo with the NX!" Followed by " Mario is nearly here, on your phones!" GAF riots.

No more patience. They need to reveal it now.

This reads far too accurate. You should write some Nintendo fan-fiction about the drama of waiting for information from Nintendo ... that never comes.

Yado

It's funny when people act like Nintendo owes them an announcement like??? What's the big deal lol, it'll come when it comes.

Hydrus

This reads far too accurate. You should write some Nintendo fan-fiction about the drama of waiting for information from Nintendo ... that never comes.

Lol

It's funny when people act like Nintendo owes them an announcement like??? What's the big deal lol, it'll come when it comes.

Well, they owe us Wii U owners Zelda, and were not getting that until NX releases. So yea, they do owe us.

I think they "owe" Nintendo fans at least an assurance that Nintendo is confident about their latest product and is willing and able to be transparent about what exactly their product actually is. They also owe Nintendo fans a reason to think that they really are invested in the future of their hardware and software ecosystem and strive to be better after the the failure that was the Wii U. Delaying the system or waiting till a few months to reveal the product before it's released does not show any of that.

That better not end up being the price. £349.99 is far too much. £250 is as high as I'm willing to go.

It was listed as £350 with a release date on the 31/12, and called the nintendo nx wiiu. If you want to discuss that seriously, by all means, but consider the context, and the fact the thread about it was locked ha.

Hydrus

I think you're misunderstnding the definition of the word "owe."

Wii U owners signed a contract with Nintendo in which they are guaranteed Zelda Wii U. You missed that legal document when buying the system?

When they spent the last 4 years telling people Zelda is releasing on Wii U soon, then delaying it over and over again, then finally tell them "it's releasing on NX now, gonna have to wait for that lolz", They do owe it to the people that mainly bought their console for zelda.

Saucycarpdog hit the nail on the head.

Kyzer

Banned
It will launch in March, people will be in awe of the low sales, Nintendo will be doomed, it will have an amazing christmas, itll be labeled a "turnaround", etc etc.

I think this thing could easily be $349 USD. Its currently $199 for a New 3DSXL, and this thing is gonna be a like portable Wii U but even more powerful.

Shiggy

When they spent the last 4 years telling people Zelda is releasing on Wii U soon, then delaying it over and over again, then finally tell them "it's releasing on NX now, gonna have to wait for that lolz", They do owe it to the people that mainly bought their console for zelda.

Saucycarpdog hit the nail on the head.

If Wii U owners should have learnt over the years or just recently learnt from using My Nintendo, Nintendo couldn't care less about their most loyal customers.

It will launch in March, people will be in awe of the low sales, Nintendo will be doomed, it will have an amazing christmas, itll be labeled a "turnaround", etc etc.

I think this thing could easily be $349 USD. Its currently $199 for a New 3DSXL, and this thing is gonna be a like portable Wii U but even more powerful.

We've done price speculation to death but unless there's something very different in this device than what we've heard from Eurogamer/Emily Rogers there is no way it will launch for over $300. I'm betting $200 is the sweet spot, maybe $225.

3DS has the super expensive exotic 3D screen, Wii U has the expensive streaming chip as well as old and exotic processors, and wouldn't benefit at all from a price drop no matter what it costs to manufacture now.

Basing NX launch price on the current 3DS and Wii U prices doesn't really work.

Speely

Banned
I am still inclined to give some consideration to Emily Rogers's confidence that the NX is on or ahead of schedule, will release in March, that it will have a good lineup in the first year, and that October is the beginning.

*sips some Earl Grey*

Yep. That's my shit.

I am still inclined to give some consideration to Emily Rogers's confidence that the NX is on or ahead of schedule, will release in March, that it will have a good lineup in the first year, and that October is the beginning.

*sips some Earl Grey*

Yep. That's my shit.

Then there is still the question if they will reveal it in October or announce an date for the reveal, which can be way later into the year. >_<

MuchoMalo

Banned

With the rumored specs, unless there's a gimmick we don't know about the only way it's hitting $350 is if Nintendo is going for the biggest mark-up in the history of gaming consoles.There's a 6-inch, 720p screened phone available for $170, and nothing about the NX makes it seem like it would cost $200 more to make than that does unless a GTX 1060 is in the dock. Even $100 more is a stretch when you consider how high smartphone margins are vs. how low console margins tend to be. I don't think they're aiming for 3DS launch kind of margin either after how badly that worked out and considering the fact that Kimishima felt the need to mention the strength of the yen as a factor in avoiding taking a loss on the unit. I know people will continue to believe that not taking a loss means a $100+ profit per unit though.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Regarding the potential Corporate Management Policy Briefing on October 27, here is the venue it took place in last year:

nintendomeeting08kwi.png

I believe this is the Fuji Room of Imperial Hotel Tokyo. It can accommodate 1000 people.

Source: http://www.imperialhotel.co.jp/e/tokyo/banquet/index.html

Whether the briefing will take place there this year I don't know, but I would expect an equally luxurious venue for the Corporate Management Policy Briefing. If it is good for any large scale presentation of NX can be debated.

Just figured I could provide this while we are waiting for news.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Rösti;218143961 said:
Regarding the potential Corporate Management Policy Briefing on October 27, here is the venue it took place in last year:

nintendomeeting08kwi.png

I believe this is the Fuji Room of Imperial Hotel Tokyo. It can accommodate 1000 people.

Source: http://www.imperialhotel.co.jp/e/tokyo/banquet/index.html

Whether the briefing will take place there this year I don't know, but I would expect an equally luxurious venue for the Corporate Management Policy Briefing. If it is good for any large scale presentation of NX can be debated.

Just figured I could provide this while we are waiting for news.
Kimishima bringing the NX on an English silver-plate restaurant trolley cart, while opera divas praise the NX to high heavens in the background. I'm calling it now.

Anth0ny

they should totally launch at $349

all the crazy people like us in this thread will still buy it day one

for the holiday season they drop it to $199

all the filthy animals who bought it at launch cry about it, but nintendo throws them a bunch of roms and they're happy

gafneo

Banned
I think what happened here was that foxconn was legit sending out real info, but in the midst, someone pretending to be foxconn drew a fake pic in Chinese who desperetly was trying to prove the already leaked info. The 6 inch screen is all that will fit in the pocket. Looks like the attachable controllers are meant for home use only if the first leaks are true. Or 6inch is just one of 2 options. 4 and 5.5 is the options we get in phone sizes. Maybe since Nintendo has released a standard DS and an XL each gen, they will do it at launch this time.

With the rumored specs, unless there's a gimmick we don't know about the only way it's hitting $350 is if Nintendo is going for the biggest mark-up in the history of gaming consoles.There's a 6-inch, 720p screened phone available for $170, and nothing about the NX makes it seem like it would cost $200 more to make than that does unless a GTX 1060 is in the dock. Even $100 more is a stretch when you consider how high smartphone margins are vs. how low console margins tend to be. I don't think they're aiming for 3DS launch kind of margin either after how badly that worked out and considering the fact that Kimishima felt the need to mention the strength of the yen as a factor in avoiding taking a loss on the unit. I know people will continue to believe that not taking a loss means a $100+ profit per unit though.
Budget phones within the $100-$200 range actually have very low profit margins compared to flagship smartphones which are where the high margins come from. The low budget smartphones are intended to sell a lot to make up for the low margins on them.

You have no idea what's even packed into the box and you've already decided what an acceptable price is? Come on now.
Eurogamer is a reputable site and they were very confident on this. The max £250 (equivalent of $325 after tax) I am willing to spend is based on NX being a handheld more powerful than Wii U and less than OG Xbox One that is thinner than the Wii U gamepad with a better screen and can be attached to a docking station to play on a TV.

If it is something else than I may adjust the amount I am willing to spend. I am aware that it is probably a placeholder but also think Nintendo can be pretty blind sometimes and that it is therefore possible that they will release it at £300-350 (equivalent $390-450 after tax). I realise they have said things about not wanting to set the price too high but they have never been specific about what price they think is too high but I think they have a tendency to overvalue some of their products.

Phoenixus

I'm still betting there'll be two skus at launch; the unit minus the dock for a lower price (which is the point they'll advertise the hell out of) and one with the dock and relevant cables. That is assuming that the dock does more than just house the unit.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Budget phones within the $100-$200 range actually have very low profit margins compared to flagship smartphones which are where the high margins come from. The low budget smartphones are intended to sell a lot to make up for the low margins on them.

I'm aware, but it still wouldn't be as low as a console margin. I can't see this thing costing more than $250 unless there's something big that we don't know about yet. Absolutely cannot see even $300 as a possibility.

Speely

Banned
What if Hillary announces it during the debates?

"And that, Donald, is why we are stronger together... just like the new Nintendo NX which uses Supplemental Computing Devices, to be revealed next week via Nintendo Direct!"

akileese

Because it's Nintendo. People want it to play PS4 pro games and sell under $50.

True enough. I think we have a pretty good idea of just how powerful this thing is right now (unless the dock adds extra processing power which seems to be the wild card last I'd heard). At this point I think the price is dependent on what the pack ins are. Are they giving you a dock and a pack in game for $349? Is the dock even launching with the system? These are the questions I'm most interested in.

gafneo

Banned
What if Hillary announces it during the debates?

"And that, Donald, is why we are stronger together... just like the new Nintendo NX which uses Supplemental Computing Devices, to be revealed next week via Nintendo Direct!"
I legit had a dream last night it was announced on Conan and the controller was a gillette shaving blade.

sinxtanx

Tesco UK is saying it will be 350 euros. That would be closer to $400 US if true.

that was for the "Nintendo NX Wii U" no doubt a bundle

or some idiot mistook the NX rumors for a Wii U revision and input it into the system. I'm talking bottom of the barrel pond scum who only got the job because his dad works at Tesco. not actually able to complete tasks but given a false sense of competency by his paycheck

lenovox1

I think they "owe" Nintendo fans at least an assurance that Nintendo is confident about their latest product and is willing and able to be transparent about what exactly their product actually is. They also owe Nintendo fans a reason to think that they really are invested in the future of their hardware and software ecosystem and strive to be better after the the failure that was the Wii U. Delaying the system or waiting till a few months to reveal the product before it's released does not show any of that.

I see it as a new CEO trying something different. I don't see it as a personal affront to Nintendo fans.

But, eh, maybe Kimishima is sitting on this information, having NeoGAF translated by Treehouse, and laughing his ass off at the millions of speculation threads posted on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom