• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigiTimes: Foxconn trialing production of NX, ~10m units expected annually

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well we've got another 50/50 chance they'll announce the reveal date today. I'll be keeping an eye on their YouTube to see if they upload a video later. I hope they go the video route and not just a press release.

Bazry

Well we've got another 50/50 chance they'll announce the reveal date today. I'll be keeping an eye on their YouTube to see if they upload a video later. I hope they go the video route and not just a press release.

I'm already reading way too much into a 9am tweet from Nintento UK/Europe about an incoming game, as if they're getting things out of the way for later

Nightbird

Wait, so did Nintendo of Canada really accidentally leaked that we might get the announcement in a Nintendo Direct-style video or what?

ggx2ac

I'm bored, does anyone have any ideas about how to get people that play smartphone games to want to play NX other than trying to be lured by Nintendo mobile games on their phones?

Here's this quote.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/pok-mon-mario-and-zelda-headline-nx-dream-line-up/0170678

"It’s a nice bit of kit, a bit of a novelty, but a good one,” said one exec that has got hands on with the machine. “It won’t appeal to PS4 fans. Nintendo seems set on trying to upgrade smartphone gamers. That’s going to be a big job for the marketing department.”

I didn't want to speculate it in that blue ocean thread because it seems to draw the ire of people that hate mobile and seem to have gone to the conclusion that the NX is a mobile phone gaming device first and foremost instead of something with variety like Steam.

I basically feel my argument doesn't have much weight that Nintendo could get people to stop playing mobile games on their phone and/or play their mobile games on the NX. Duckroll's post was on the nose how the mainstream digital camera is dead because it has been replaced by the smartphone. With convenience, people already have a device they can use to play games outside with.

Although I don't have data to suggest that the majority of time spent playing mobile games is indoors.

So I have to think of other ideas related to the above quote. One idea a person had was having the NX stream the game to other smartphones for local multiplayer. I can see virtual controllers on Smartphones using an app to work with Bluetooth to play with the NX however, I don't know if it's possible to stream video/audio to a competitor's device unless Nintendo is planning to license AirPlay.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirPlay

All that leaves then is if there are other things on the NX that would supposedly upgrade Smartphone gamers because giving them a way to play NX games with their smartphones sounded like an upgrade.

The only other idea mentioned long ago was if the NX had on its detachable controllers SHARP free form display donut shaped screens around analog sticks to display virtual buttons to give smartphone gamers a familiar control setup to be able to ease into traditional games.

Wait, so did Nintendo of Canada really accidentally leaked that we might get the announcement in a Nintendo Direct-style video or what?
they said "MAYBE"
Either it was a leak or no one cares about Nintendo of Canada at Nintendo so Canada wanted to sound important.
Either ways Nintendo will punish Canada but adding $10 extra on each of their products.

Manoko

Anyone else really doubting the NX because of Nintendo's silence about it ?

I think they have a machine they can't really find a good way to reveal/market and that's why it's taking so long for them to talk about it.

The excuse of being afraid their innovation would be stolen from them seems irrelevant now, less than 6 months before their own device will launch.

they said "MAYBE"
Either it was a leak or no one cares about Nintendo of Canada at Nintendo so Canada wanted to sound important.
Either ways Nintendo will punish Canada but adding $10 extra on each of their products.

Why is there even Nintendo Canada? Isnt there Nintendo North America? Though we go Nintendo of Europe and Nintendo Germany... fair enough...

Wasnt Ubisoft a big part of Wii's launch?

ggx2ac

I'm already reading way too much into a 9am tweet from Nintento UK/Europe about an incoming game, as if they're getting things out of the way for later

NCL Twitter has tweeted a lot of stuff today, even something just a minute ago.

It probably means nothing for NX.

Nah not at all. Despite not having any software info outside of zelda, I think we have a good enough grasp on what the console is after the eurogamer thing, so I'm really confident I'll enjoy what they're offering. I don't personally look into their silence too deeply, if I did I would think that was impatience talking. Nintendo are always quiet and especially so since the change over to Kimishima, fewer directs etc. All in good time. They've got a few more tent poles before I despair software wise haha.

cacildo

I think they have a machine they can't really find a good way to reveal/market and that's why it's taking so long for them to talk about it.

The excuse of being afraid their innovation would be stolen from them seems irrelevant now, less than 6 months before their own device will launch.

I am beggining to get scared, yes

Its taking too long.

Theres the nx reddit, the media articles on the wait are starting to pile up. And i check the twitter replies everyday, its just people asking for the NX. I imagine its the same on facebook.

And yet they act the NX and the people asking about it doesnt exist.

It is strange.

Seriously, people are getting very frustrated and impatient with Nintendo not announcing the NX or just saying anything about it at all. Not like it matters in the long run. I can't blame them if they're Wii U fans because they don't have any new big games to play and there hasn't been a big new Nintendo first party developed game since last year I believe lol.

Lol, no.

You know that they are not 12 year old kids who just put something together and don't know what they did, do you?
They said from THE BEGINNING that we will hear from the NX LATER THIS YEAR. Not september, not october or anything else. Just later this year.
So what is more worrying than the no-info from Nintendo are the people who think that Nintendo delayed the reveal 5 times because they don't know how to marketing their new console.

Sendou

N

What month starts in N? November

X

In roman numerals it is 10.

10th November

The date they will announce the delay of NX (real name: Wii DS) to holiday season 2017. Seriously though clearly today is the day.

i don't get why they don't do it in a playstation meeting style and send everyone a sleeping pill
But sleeping pills causes
tumblr_ls8m0kEoRy1qe7sl0o1_500.gif

KAL2006

Banned
Do you think there will be a NX version of Paper Mario

I think they should avoid Wii U ports for the first year of the NX other than Mario Maker and Super Smash Bros. And Zelda which is not a port but more of a multiplatform release.

If they release too many ports the NX would seem like nothing new.

marmoka

Banned
Paper Mario will be released in October 7th in NA and EU, and October 13th in Japan.

I expect the first NX news after one week of the Japanese release, October 20th the earlies. That day they would announce the reveal date, with some tweets about a Nintendo Direct coming, or something similar. That Direct could be around October 26th.

Considering that Paper Mario is the last "ambitious" Wii U project before Zelda, the pre-farewell game, they will wait till the game sells the first weeks, and then reveal it.

Whatever, don't expect anything about NX until one week before Halloween.

I'm crossing my fingers to be wrong, and get the reveal much more earlier.

Sendou

I wish for NX they'd axe M&L and make Paper Mario more like TTYD again. Not exactly the most controversial opinion but I'm interested in seeing how they'll handle the imminent overlap when they put together their home console and handheld libraries.

Jackano

I agree with your point, too much ports could hurt. However I think this is not about having Mario & Zelda, but rather using the ports wisely as filler.
The quantity depends on the quantity of new games. If half the games are ports it can't work.
Giving previous Nintendo history, NX in 2016 should get 9-12 games.
If we're mixing ports in there, to give a better first year, I'll say 2016 should have 10-14 games, including 3 or 4 ports. Note: I don't consider BoTW a port. I don't think Nintendo is considering it like that either.

shibbs

Considering that Paper Mario is the last "ambitious" Wii U project before Zelda, the pre-farewell game, they will wait till the game sells the first weeks, and then reveal it.

Yeah, I think so too.

Sendou

It's not even about giving NX games. Unless something went wrong it should have plenty of them. It's more about giving certain games a new chance that were better than what Wii U deserved.

KAL2006

Banned
Paper Mario will be released in October 7th in NA and EU, and October 13th in Japan.

I expect the first NX news after one week of the Japanese release, October 20th the earlies. That day they would announce the reveal date, with some tweets about a Nintendo Direct coming, or something similar. That Direct could be around October 26th.

That makes sense actually

Manoko

Lol, no.

You know that they are not 12 year old kids who just put something together and don't know what they did, do you?
They said from THE BEGINNING that we will hear from the NX LATER THIS YEAR. Not september, not october or anything else. Just later this year.
So what is more worrying than the no-info from Nintendo are the people who think that Nintendo delayed the reveal 5 times because they don't know how to marketing their new console.

Someone's been living under a rock during the Wii U reveal/marketing period.

Nintendo struggles with marketing, I honestly believe their innovation this time is starting not to make too much sense for them in a marketing standpoint (maybe because it's already a trend that went away, just like the tablet trend was already on a downward angle when Wii U came out).

My guess is mobile/on-the-go gaming, which the Eurogamer leaks seem to confirm.
I just wish Nintendo would stop trying to fish so hard for the next gimmick and just a do a powerful, simple, gaming console.

Taker666

Why wait for Paper Mario's launch? It's pretty obvious it's going to bomb in sales regardless of NX (if Nintendo think otherwise I can't help but be concerned for what games they will greenlight for the NX).

ggx2ac

It can be the other way around. Paper Mario Color Splash has the name Mario in it. It's has the Mario Brand to sell it so it should be no problem to reveal NX before Paper Mario even releases...

Maybe.

Sendou

I honestly don't buy the Paper Mario theory. When NX is unveiled people will talk about Nintendo. What's the newest Nintendo thing you can get around that time period? Paper Mario: Color Splash. If anything unveiling NX around Paper Mario launch would be a boost.

Right now it's like people forgot Nintendo even exists.

I honestly don't buy the Paper Mario theory. When NX is unveiled people will talk about Nintendo. What's the newest Nintendo thing you can get around that time period? Paper Mario: Color Splash. If anything unveiling NX around Paper Mario launch would be a boost.

With Pokemon Go out and Super Mario Run announced and those Super Mario Stickers on imessage, I even talk about Nintendo is quite high

JoeM86

Considering Pokémon GO, Pokémon Sun & Moon and Super Mario Run, that is far from the truth

JnFnRu

I think they should avoid Wii U ports for the first year of the NX other than Mario Maker and Super Smash Bros. And Zelda which is not a port but more of a multiplatform release.

I had a WiiU until recently and I would LOVE for WiiU Ports of something like Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Paper Mario.

Someone's been living under a rock during the Wii U reveal/marketing period.

Nintendo struggles with marketing, I honestly believe their innovation this time is starting not to make too much sense for them in a marketing standpoint (maybe because it's already a trend that went away, just like the tablet trend was already on a downward angle when Wii U came out).

My guess is mobile/on-the-go gaming, which the Eurogamer leaks seem to confirm.
I just wish Nintendo would stop trying to fish so hard for the next gimmick and just a do a powerful, simple, gaming console.

I was not living under a rock but for me it was clear from second one what the Wii U was and I could never understand the problems some costumers had.

Nintendo did the same marketing in the last few years like they did with the Wii. Cleqrly appealing familys and it worked for a lot of games. So acting like Nintendo is not capable of doing marketing right is just ignorant and completly false.
Maybe that was the case 5 years ago but not anymore. So calm down and don't jump to conclusions because Nintendo is not acting the way you want them to act.

Sendou

Considering Pokémon GO, Pokémon Sun & Moon and Super Mario Run, that is far from the truth

I meant more like with the crowd that would be there for Paper Mario day 1 i.e. people that would be influenced by NX being revealed in the slightest. Although it's kind of hard to say whether Paper Mario is for their core fans or extended audience. Regardless my main point is that I don't think NX reveal would take away from Paper Mario but rather the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom