• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigiTimes: Foxconn trialing production of NX, ~10m units expected annually

Status
Not open for further replies.
They don't have to support two devices, they can sell two devices that play the same software with the hardware tailored to the needs of each market...each with a lower rrp than a hybrid device.

Better to sell a home console for $179-$199 and a handheld for $179-$199 (that both play the same software without the added costs a hybrid brings), than a single hybrid device at $250.

I think you are vastly overestimating how much the features of a single device adds to the price plus neither of those products would be more exciting.

ThisGuy

I feel like if nintendo just updated the Wii to have better graphics, vr would have been the natural progression for nx.

MuchoMalo

Banned
and again, why mix messaging going into the holiday season by announcing new hardware that won't be available until March?

Pokemon Go was a worldwide phenomenon this year. Pokemon Sun/Moon has the potential to be MASSIVE this holiday, along with 3DS hardware sales with it.

I really think they are going to go all in with Pokemon this year and they won't mention NX until January, after the holidays.

The general public isn't even going to know what's going on until the big marketing push starts, and that would be closer to launch. The people who will watch the reveal are those who already know that it's launching in March. There's not a huge risk there.

But even if we look at it from your perspective, that depends on Nintendo knowing how to handle marketing well enough to both avoid competing with themselves and to be the first company to ever successfully unveil a console less than 2 months before launch. Nintendo isn't a company I'd bet on being able to do either of those.

And yes, I know about your hard-on for a delay/belief that Nintendo lied (which you still haven't justified you position on).

Anth0ny

Oh not this again...

not agaaaaaaaaaaaaaaainnnnnnnn

The general public isn't even going to know what's going on until the big marketing push starts, and that would be closer to launch. The people who will watch the reveal are those who already know that it's launching in March. There's not a huge risk there.

But even if we look at it from your perspective, that depends on Nintendo knowing how to handle marketing well enough to both avoid competing with themselves and to be the first company to ever successfully unveil a console less than 2 months before launch. Nintendo isn't a company I'd bet on being able to do either of those.

And yes, I know about your hard-on for a delay/belief that Nintendo lied (which you still haven't justified you position on).

if nintendo releases a new console, it will be ALL over social media and mainstream news outlets. you better believe people will be walking into toys r us on black friday asking for the "new nintendo system", only to be told "sorry, it's not out yet".

it's one thing to announce a new console at e3 in june, then the hype dies down and by the holiday season people are focused on what's actually being pushed. but to announce new hardware JUST before the holiday shopping season really kicks up? in october? the NX will be fresh in a lot of peoples minds. I just don't see the point of that. focus on Pokemon and NES mini, that's what you're selling this year. not the NX.

as for your last comment...

they didn't lie

in that moment, they really thought they'd make march 2017.

then about 5 minutes later they realized the launch lineup wouldn't be ready so they delayed it to november 2017. we'll get the public announcement at that october nintendo thing.

there goshhhhhhh

Reveal the NX only 2 months before release? Yeah.....no.

Indeed. The closer to launch they wait, the more plentiful the leaks will be. As more developers get their hands on dev kits, as legions of hundreds of QA testers get their hands on test kits, leaks will become unavoidable and we will quickly know exactly what the NX is. They can't keep it under wraps forever, so it would be in their best interest to unveil it in their own terms beforehand.

Hydrus

and again, why mix messaging going into the holiday season by announcing new hardware that won't be available until March?

Pokemon Go was a worldwide phenomenon this year. Pokemon Sun/Moon has the potential to be MASSIVE this holiday, along with 3DS hardware sales with it.

I really think they are going to go all in with Pokemon this year and they won't mention NX until January, after the holidays.

At least someone agrees with me on a January reveal.

Reveal the NX only 2 months before release? Yeah.....no.

Unless, you know, it's delayed...

MuchoMalo

Banned
Sorry. It will give me time to enjoy Yooka-Laylee before Zelda.

P.S. it bears repeating that YL would be a smart title to position at NX launch.

Well, at least you have a reason for wanting a delay instead of being all:

"Nintendo lied! March was never in the cards!"

"Why did they lie?"

crickets

Yooka-Laylee and Sonic Mania missing the launch would be a very bad idea.

It's already confirmed to not be getting Mania at all, though.

Sorry. It will give me time to enjoy Yooka-Laylee before Zelda.

P.S. it bears repeating that YL would be a smart title to position at NX launch.

Yeah I've heard them say they aren't working on NX. Is 6 months too short of a time to port? Probably.

I'd love to see it on NX though.

if nintendo releases a new console, it will be ALL over social media and mainstream news outlets. you better believe people will be walking into toys r us on black friday asking for the "new nintendo system", only to be told "sorry, it's not out yet".

It's almost like you believe NX is the only product in history that will offer preorders or have a release date after the holidays.

BY2K

Membero Americo
If by the next investor meeting at the end of October they still won't tell us when the NX will be revealed (or if the NX hasn't been revealed by then) THEN I'll start being worried.

Turrican3

3DS current owners (tens of millions of them!) aren't going to upgrade to NX at launch simultaneously.

Besides that, Nintendo could still enjoy a huge Pokémon success now AND offer some kind of incentive to early NX adopters, for example a guarantee to people that will get Sun/Moon via eShop that the savegame will transfer to the NX 3DS VC/BC module :)

Peterc

So, the nx focus on mobile games?

Mvc is getting the message wrong from nintendo, thats not their focus.

They want to focus on real games and not the shuffle ware garbage games, like allot of wii games are.

They just want them to migrate to a gaming system that is easy to play, but with real games. Like ps4 games or Nintendo IP's

To do that, they are using their ip's on mobile too to convince people it's fun and want to play more of that kind.

Thats a smart move from them. Sony knows that and they are missing those gamers. Thats why they also aggressively wants to make games for mobile platforms.

maxcriden

"Why did they lie?"

crickets

-

Thanks. It's a non-serious reason, so if NX hits March as I hope it will, I will probably find a way to put one of my most anticipated games on hold (YL) in favor of playing another when it first comes out and the whole Nintendo world is playing it (Zelda). I would prefer an NX launch in March. Maybe on my birthday, which is also the anniversary of the day my wife and I met 10.5 years ago, so, an important day to me.

Funny aside, when I was a kid Dinosaur Planet -> SFA was slated for release the day before my birthday, at one point. Well, I somehow forgot my birthday was the 26th and not the 25th, and thought up until it got delayed again that my birthday was on the 25th and that it was coming out on my b-day. Very weird. Unsure how I forgot what day my b-day was.

-

When was Mania confirmed to not be coming?

Yeah I've heard them say they aren't working on NX. Is 6 months too short of a time to port? Probably.

I'd love to see it on NX though.

Oh, I must have missed it. When did they say this?

Incidentally, 6 months I agree would be too short of a time to port, most likely. Unless Wii U -> NX porting tools are somehow amazing, but, I don't know if that would be the case. I only mention that since Wii U is the version PlayTonic is making themselves.

"Why did they lie?"

crickets

I was praying that they weren't ready to commit to one at the time and they would probably announce an NX port closer to launch/once the floodgates are lifted regarding software, but as time goes by I'm starting to get more worried about that. Especially since the collectors' edition is absent.

I don't know if it was explicitly confirmed to never be in the cards though.

Considering Sonic's strong presence on Nintendo that'd be such a shame if it doesn't end up coming.

If by the next investor meeting at the end of October they still won't tell us when the NX will be revealed (or if the NX hasn't been revealed by then) THEN I'll start being worried.

This is the camp I'm in at the moment. Also that if NX does get delayed, it'd be for software rather than hardware purposes. For now we just have to wait and see.

MuchoMalo

Banned

I'm confident that if we don't hear anything before October 21st, they'll announce a delay at the investor's meeting.

If this seriously needs a second delay though, I'll be very worried about how prepared Nintendo really is for this and how well they've planned it out.

I was praying that they weren't ready to commit to one at the time and they would probably announce an NX port closer to launch/once the floodgates are lifted regarding software, but as time goes by I'm starting to get more worried about that. Especially since the collectors' edition is absent.

I don't know if it was explicitly confirmed to never be in the cards though.

Considering Sonic's strong presence on Nintendo that'd be such a shame if it doesn't end up coming.

They announced that the Late 2017 Sonic game is coming to NX at the same event. Clearly, nothing was stopping them. If they can announce one game, they can announce another. It's not happening.

That implies they can't do both.

Nintendo has already committed to the 3DS into 2017, and their old hardware and software still sells even after the new one launches (see Wii and 3DS). They wouldn't have anything to worry about revealing the NX this year.

They announced that the Late 2017 Sonic game is coming to NX at the same event. Clearly, nothing was stopping them. If they can announce one game, they can announce another. It's not happening.

I'm guessing the issue would have been Nintendo being wary of supplying devkits to an indie developer and not Sonic Team, at the time.

I guess for what it's worth, Mania is only set for "Spring 2017" which could be May for all we know, or even June. That'd be 10-11 months since announcement. I don't know how feasible it'd be to create an NX version solely within that timeframe (even assuming it is easy to port to) but I wonder if it's a possibility. Speaking hypothetically of course.

Anth0ny

It's almost like you believe NX is the only product in history that will offer preorders or have a release date after the holidays.

has there ever been a new piece of major hardware announced so close to one holiday season, yet not released until just after the holiday season?

What does their 2017 line-up look like if there's a delay?

Unless there's a delay of maybe 1-2 months, then I can't possibly imagine they could even function, cashflow wise, if they delay the NX. If it's to November 2017 as some people seem to think then how many products or pieces of software do they have in store for the entire year? I can think of one 2017 3DS game right now, outside of a few third party games (DQXI, probably others).

This is why I don't think a delay is possible, likely or even logical. Because based on everything we've heard so far a delay to holiday 2017 would result in virtually no revenue coming in throughout 2017. A business can't operate like that.

Unless of course people think their handful of smartphone games can sustain their entire business for 10 months, which I think is very unlikely.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, any reluctance of Nintendo to talk about NX during the FY 2016 Second Quarter Financial Results Briefing on October 27 (or even in the potential news conference on October 26) would be quite worrying.

has there ever been a new piece of major hardware announced so close to one holiday season, yet not released until just after the holiday season?

PS2, the best-selling home console of all time, was unveiled at TGS on September 20, 1999; released in Japan March 4, 2000, and in North America October 26, 2000.

maxcriden

What does their 2017 line-up look like if there's a delay?

Unless there's a delay of maybe 1-2 months, then I can't possibly imagine they could even function, cashflow wise, if they delay the NX. If it's to November 2017 as some people seem to think then how many products or pieces of software do they have in store for the entire year? I can think of one 2017 3DS game right now, outside of a few third party games (DQXI, probably others).

This is why I don't think a delay is possible, likely or even logical. Because based on everything we've heard so far a delay to holiday 2017 would result in virtually no revenue coming in throughout 2017. A business can't operate like that.

Unless of course people think their handful of smartphone games can sustain their entire business for 10 months, which I think is very unlikely.

I agree with you, but just FWIW, I believe there are now several 3DS games for 2017, including Yoshi and Poochy's Woolly World, Ever Oasis, Pikmin and DQVIII (in the West). Ah, and Miitopia, though I don't recall if I that's a release for this or next year. Likely not enough to sustain the year on 3DS alone, but, given the ER rumor of 3DS being supported through 2018 and prior HH support after a successor launches, presumably there are a few other 3DS games coming next year as well. I don't think that refutes your point, though.

L Thammy

I posit that no matter what the NX is, it i impossible for Nintendo to make a system worse than the Wii U.

I'm pretty sure that no one at Nintendo what they wanted the concept of the Wii U was supposed to be, so they cobbled something together to get it out by their deadline. It had no apparent direction, a poorly thought out gimmick that they had apparently not sold themselves on, and a shoddy OS that froze all the time and was hacked as soon as it was released. Even if Nintendo tried to make a terrible system intentionally, they'd have to put more thought into designing the system than they put into the Wii U.

This does not rule out the NX being exactly as bad as the Wii U.

I agree with you, but just FWIW, I believe there are now several 3DS games for 2017, including Yoshi and Poochy's Woolly World, Ever Oasis, Pikmin and DQVIII. Surely not enough to sustain the year, but, given the ER rumor of 3DS being supported through 2018 and prior HH support after a successor launches, presumably there are a few other 3DS games coming next year as well. I don't think that refutes your point, though.

Thanks for the correction! I forgot Ever Oasis wasn't this year, and I don't know why I didn't mention DQVIII along with DQXI! Pikmin was the one "Nintendo" game I was referring to for the record.

But yeah that hardly seems like enough of a product to sustain an entire year. Even if they have another handful of unannounced 3DS games 2017 would wind up being one of their most sparse years ever, if not the most.

I posit that no matter what the NX is, it i impossible for Nintendo to make a system worse than the Wii U.

I'm pretty sure that no one at Nintendo what they wanted the concept of the Wii U was supposed to be, so they cobbled something together to get it out by their deadline. It had no apparent direction, a poorly thought out gimmick that they had apparently not sold themselves on, and a shoddy OS that froze all the time and was hacked as soon as it was released. Even if Nintendo tried to make a terrible system intentionally, they'd have to put more thought into designing the system than they put into the Wii U.

This does not rule out the NX being exactly as bad as the Wii U.

The Virtual Boy was worse.

I agree with you, but just FWIW, I believe there are now several 3DS games for 2017, including Yoshi and Poochy's Woolly World, Ever Oasis, Pikmin and DQVIII (in the West). Ah, and Miitopia, though I don't recall if I that's a release for this or next year. Likely not enough to sustain the year on 3DS alone, but, given the ER rumor of 3DS being supported through 2018 and prior HH support after a successor launches, presumably there are a few other 3DS games coming next year as well. I don't think that refutes your point, though.

You can't bring up Emily Rodgers rumor of 3DS being supported and not mention she said NX is ahead of schedule.

I'm not getting why there's a belief NX is delayed? Sometimes I feel like deep down inside of some people they want the NX to be delayed. Lol

You can't bring up Emily Rodgers rumor of 3DS being supported and not mention she said NX is ahead of schedule.

I'm not getting why there's a belief NX is delayed? Sometimes I feel like deep down inside of some people they want the NX to be delayed. Lol

It's simply because we know so little <6 months out. I'm on #TeamMarch for sure but you can't deny that it's strange that we don't even have a reveal date yet. Strange as in we aren't used to this type of secrecy, not necessarily strange as in something is wrong.

I just think they are trying out a new marketing model, and it doesn't seem like all that bad of an idea.

If NX gets delayed to the holiday then something is seriously wrong. Nintendo have probably earned a lot of pessimism over the past while, but being rational it doesn't seem likely.

The most, most I can see it being delayed until is June, but at this point in time, March is looking fine for the hardware side of things. The worst-case scenario I can think of would be if Zelda doesn't end up being ready for March, but in that case I can see them cutting their losses and launch NX without it if the other games they can get out both for launch and in the months afterward are appealing/ready enough. Splatoon 2, Mario Maker DX, maybe the Smash port if it's ready, or Retro's project around launch (+ third-party games like Dragon Quest, potentially Tekken 7, Monster Hunter, Lady Layton...) would be a great way to get things going, for example.

Supposedly some indie developers do have NX devkits. Not that I think for a second that Sonicmania missing NX is anything but Nintendo's fault.

Yeah, what I'm guessing happened is Sega wants/wanted Mania to be on NX but Nintendo was cagey about lending Whitehead's team the devkits.

It's simply because we know so little <6 months out. I'm on #TeamMarch for sure but you can't deny that it's strange that we don't even have a reveal date yet. Strange as in we aren't used to this type of secrecy, not necessarily strange as in something is wrong.

I just think they are trying out a new marketing model, and it doesn't seem like all that bad of an idea.

I will admit this is unprecedented and many people are frustrated with no NX talk at all from them. Like you said I think they really want to get this right from the get go and they don't want another Wii U.

They see all of us here, other websites, YouTube and other social media asking for the news. It has to be close if some indie devs are getting dev kits.

NateDrake

I'm confident that if we don't hear anything before October 21st, they'll announce a delay at the investor's meeting.

If this seriously needs a second delay though, I'll be very worried about how prepared Nintendo really is for this and how well they've planned it out.

Second delay? When was the first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom