• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DigiTimes] PS5 SoC delivery to factories next wk Jun 7. On track for 2020 release.

So it seems first batches will finish production by mid to end of June. Either sony will reveal or leaks are imminent 👀👀👀👀😂

"A person familiar with the semiconductor supply chain revealed that starting next week, the back-end IC packaging and testing end of the high-customized PS5 main chip of AMD will begin to be delivered to downstream manufacturers. Monthly and August climbed all the way, and the third season will be the peak of delivery for packaging and testing companies, which also means that the PS5 console will come out this year."

Article:

Degree

Banned
DigiTimes is known for spreading false rumors. Would take it with a huge grain of salt.

for example:

Digitimes: We’re Sorry We Get All Our Apple Rumors Wrong

here:

Rumor Roundup: Digitimes nonsense factories

And there are many more.

Last edited:
I'm thinking it might be a limited launch for 2020. So you better be sure to preorder.

I mean the demand will be higher than whats available.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
Sounds about right as Apple is in the final stages of their product line up as well.
Same path basically, June/July then off to TSMC - just different node (7nm vs 5nm).
Digitimes has proven to be credible source when it comes to these things so I'm inclined to believe them.

I'm thinking it might be a limited launch for 2020. So you better be sure to preorder.

I mean the demand will be higher than whats available.
Yea i honestly think since they will be taking loss on it and price is higher they don't wanna produce alot. This way they minimise the loss untill few months later when they cost can be brought down

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
If true (which I believe that it is), this is great news because November 2020 is pretty much a lock at this point. Granted, there will be less consoles available at launch but those who really want one will pre-order it when the ability to do so happens.

XBOX SERIES X and PLAYSTATION 5 equals GAMING HEAVEN!!! Let's go, let's go!!! Less than six months from now, this gen will be gone and next gen will be among us!!! Can't fucking wait!!!

Shin

Banned
seems even the node process which Series X goes one level better.
Im not sure why Sony didnt pay for the best, considering it needs to run at 2.23ghz gpu... 🤷‍♀️
Pricing and availability vs. their BOM/retail target would be the limiting factor I'd reckon.
You get what you pay for or willing to pay for unfortunately, which is why I'm hoping for a Pro model.
Case in point my new iPhone 12 Pro will cost about $1200-1400, compared to XS/PS5 price that's threefold.

ZywyPL

Banned
So it's only a matter of time until the PS5 case will be ready as well and someone can leak it, Sony better hurry up with that reveal for real.

But I'd love to see the chip itself too, I'm curious if it's a monolithic design like XBX SoC, or a chiplet design like Cerny's slides would suggest.

Gamernyc78

Banned
So it seems first batches will finish production by mid to end of June. Either sony will reveal or leaks are imminent 👀👀👀👀😂

"A person familiar with the semiconductor supply chain revealed that starting next week, the back-end IC packaging and testing end of the high-customized PS5 main chip of AMD will begin to be delivered to downstream manufacturers. Monthly and August climbed all the way, and the third season will be the peak of delivery for packaging and testing companies, which also means that the PS5 console will come out this year."

Article:

Get my shit ready!!! These holidays will be extra special!!!

kuncol02

Banned
7nm without EUV, it is still a "refined" process but without ultra violet layer added to it.
Impossible. RDNA2 is 7nm+ and if Sony is using 7nm (do you have any source) then they wouldn't be able to use RDNA2 in PS5 and we know they use it (that's what we are told by Lisa Su and Cerny).
I don't have time for looking for better source, but RDNA2 was planned in 7nm+. If AMD changed plans, then that would explain PS5 thermal issues.
https://www.gamespot.com/forums/sys...ext-gen-33462489/?page=1#js-message-356259425

Last edited:

Degree

Banned
Impossible. RDNA2 is 7nm+ and if Sony is using 7nm (do you have any source) then they wouldn't be able to use RDNA2 in PS5 and we know they use it (that's what we are told by Lisa Su and Cerny).
I don't have time for looking for better source, but RDNA2 was planned in 7nm+. If AMD changed plans, then that would explain PS5 thermal issues.
https://www.gamespot.com/forums/sys...ext-gen-33462489/?page=1#js-message-356259425

Is it confirmed that Sony is using full RDNA 2.0? I thought they are using a heavily customized version

In your *ss antifas. We'll all together be BUYING like capatilitics those new plastic boxes, and we'll love them more than your bourgeois fantasy called anarchy that is nowhere to be seen in China. Aaaaa!

Yeahhh gonna buy both. Don't cancel 2020.

THE:MILKMAN

This is just confirming what Jim Ryan told the FT last week. Production had started (in low volume) and will ramp up over the summer.

I suppose it is good to get secondary confirmation I guess.

geordiemp

Im not sure why Sony didnt pay for the best, considering it needs to run at 2.23ghz gpu... 🤷‍♀️

Stop talking crap your embarrassing youself.

Both use RDNA2 which is TSMC, and + 50 % perf / watt from TSMC process, which is 7nm but critical process are using EUV lithography (which is very expensive but used only on critcal steps likely around gate geometries) which clearly helps along with logic and design improvements over RDNA1.

The 7nm, 7nm+, or whatever is just marketing and trying to simplify processes which are allot more complex and hundreds of steps.

So its not full EUV, but the process layers that benefit most for RDNA2 is what was implied by AMD. More layers of EUV will probably be next node shrink to 5nm or whatever rolls out next.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Is it confirmed that Sony is using full RDNA 2.0? I thought they are using a heavily customized version
It's unclear. Cerny used phrase "RDNA2 based" in his presentation which suggest that is it in some way customized, but that wouldn't change manufacturing process.

Both use RDNA2 which is TSMC, and + 50 % perf / watt from TSMC process, which is 7nm but critical process are using EUV lithography (which is very expensive but used only on critcal steps likely around gate geomtries) which clearly helps along with logic and design improvements over RDNA1.

The 7nm, 7nm+, or whatever is just marketing and trying to simplify processes which are allot more complex and hundreds of steps.
Perf/watt is not same as clock/watt most of that performance gains are from higher IPC and VRS. TSMC stated that 7nm+ uses 10% power less than their 7nm process.

THE:MILKMAN

Question. Based on these rumors, How likely is it for PS5 to skip 2020 entirely?

Close to zero. Even if 2020 launch was scrapped or scaled back the consoles are being made now and given the huge logistics of parts and people involved, production isn't stopping now.

Last edited:

geordiemp

It's unclear. Cerny used phrase "RDNA2 based" in his presentation which suggest that is it in some way customized, but that wouldn't change manufacturing process.

Perf/watt is not same as clock/watt most of that performance gains are from higher IPC and VRS. TSMC stated that 7nm+ uses 10% power less than their 7nm process.

What the lol has VRS got to do with improvments in semicodnctor process node power usage, your just blindly cutting and pasting whatever you read with no understanding of technology what so ever.

Do you even know what VRS stands for, and how on earth you link that to the power efficiency gains from process improvements using EUV lithography for better switching and less leakage is beyond me.

Go read up on FinFET semiconductor physics and think how EUV might apply to improve efficiency around critical angstrom dimensions.....

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
RDNA2 is 7nm+ according to reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/fe2hgn/new_amd_roadmap_until_2022_for_cpu_and_gpu/

If PS5 SOC is confirmed to be 7nm than definitely the GPU is not RDNA2
I mean, you know that SoC is monolith chip, right? This roadmap is for their own chips which sell with their AMD branding. There is no chance one part of one silicion substrate to be done in 7nm and the other part in 7nm+, you know. They would have to do chiplet design, then it could work. I bet XSX is still 7nm OG.

Last edited:

geordiemp

For Fucks sake BOTH Cerny AND Lisa confirmed PS5 has RDNA 2. What more confirmation do you want?

When will this madness end?

I agree but at least it gives me a laugh.

Discord fan boy posters trying to dip in to semiconductor physics hurts my sides.

I mean, you know that SoC is monolith chip, right? This roadmap is for their own chips which sell with their AMD branding. There is no chance one part of one silicion substrate to be done in 7nm and the other part in 7nm+, you know. They would have to do chiplet design, then it could work. I bet XSX is still 7nm OG.

Correct... think critical layers not area...performance is not just nodes there isa whole range of exotic precursors and fancy processes for mocvd and ALD as well as improved litho, who knows whats been thrown in the process mix by TSMC to get those advantages.....but it will apply to everyone who use that process set....AMD and NVidia and apple etc etc

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: TLZ

Frederic

Banned
Both the XboxSX and PS5 GPUs are custom based on RDNA2.

Let it go, R600, or whatever your nickname used to be.

I'm not saying that it isn't true what you are saying, but I just want a source for your claim.

For Xbox for example, it's easy:

RDNA 2 – The custom designed processor in the Xbox Series X leverages RDNA 2, the latest next generation graphics architecture from our partners at AMD. RDNA 2 provides a significant advancement in performance and efficiency as well as next generation graphics features such as hardware accelerated raytracing and variable rate shading.

to leverage = use (something) to maximum advantage.

While Xbox Series X delivers 12 TFLOPS of 32-bit float performance, two times that of the Xbox One X, the architectural efficiency improvements brought by AMD’s RDNA 2 architecture plus our next generation features such as Variable Rate Shading (VRS) and hardware accelerated DirectX Raytracing means that Xbox Series X will deliver well over twice the effective graphics performance of Xbox One X for games.

Source: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/03/16/xbox-series-x-glossary/

See, easy and pretty clear. Now, same for PS5 please. Thanks.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Oh look! Another Xbox fanboy back to unconfirmed FUD spreading....
EMPIRE-OF-DUST-ITS-ALL-SO-TIRESOME.gif

Azurro

Banned
I'm not saying that it isn't true what you are saying, but I just want a source for your claim.

See, easy and pretty clear. Now, same for PS5 please. Thanks.

This is what happens when fanboys know nothing about technology but know just enough to try to make their favourite console look good. Give it up already, PS5 is based on RDNA2.

I honestly think this silliness won't stop until PS5 and XSX games come out and at the worst case PS5 games will run at 1800p and the other at 2160p, with a potentially more complex scene on PS5.

Top Bottom