• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digitimes report: Sony prepared more than 10 million ps4's and Microsoft 7-9 million

DieH@rd

Banned
I don't think they'd stop preorders if they had 10 million units for launch.

They wont have that many for launch, that's certainly for first few months. Every LAUNCH unit will have to be shipped by boats 3-4 weeks before launch date [~late september, early october shipping from china]. If they manage 4 mil for US+EU launch, I will be amazed.

What's WiiU's LTD?

About 3 mil?

~3 mil @ launch and ~0.5mil in the following 6 months. :)

fred

10 million.

Isn't that a bit much or is it for the fiscal year?

That's likely for the fiscal year or maybe even calendar year, I can't see them handling the logistics involved in bringing that many consoles on shop shelves for launch. They'll be lucky to ship as much as 2m each during the launch period. Just as a reference, Sony and Microsoft sold 1.7m and 1.5m PS3 and 360 consoles respectively at the start of last gen if I remember correctly and I'm pretty sure the 360 at least sold out.

Suirrad

They wont have that many for launch, that's certainly for first few months. Every LAUNCH unit will have to be shipped by boats 3-4 weeks before launch date [~late september, early october shipping from china]. If they manage 4 mil for US+EU launch, I will be amazed.

~3 mil @ launch and ~0.5mil in the following 6 months. :)

XD

Man it would be both interesting and sad to see one of these boys out sale Wii U in one day, depending on how big of a margin.

McHuj

Those numbers are only believable for the remainder of 2013 plus the rest of 2014. It wouldn't surprise me if Sony shipped around 3m this year, another 3m in Q1-Q3 of 2014 and around 4m in Q4 of 2014.

DieH@rd

Banned
Those numbers are only believable for the remainder of 2013 plus the rest of 2014. It wouldn't surprise me if Sony shipped around 3m this year, another 3m in Q1-Q3 of 2014 and around 4m in Q4 of 2014.

This, except I think they will manage more than 3 mil before end of 2013.

Skeff

Thats only 333k per month, they should easily be able to manufacture 1 million units in a month by Q1 2014.

10 million this fiscal year would be more likely, 5m late oct, 1m per month after that for 10 millionth unit delivered in march.

DieH@rd

Banned
Thats only 333k per month, they should easily be able to manufacture 1 million units in a month by Q1 2014.

10 million this fiscal year would be more likely, 5m late oct, 1m per month after that for 10 millionth unit delivered in march.

That would force them to spin out iphone-level type of mass manufacture, ~ 4-5 mil units done before start of October [rest of October will be spent on boat shipping].

fred

If pre-orders are where we think they're that, easily do able.

It's impossible. Console launches are and always will be supply constrained. Everything is done at the last minute, they won't be able to produce that many due to yield issues let alone ship them.

I can't see them shipping 10m until the end of next year as McHuj has stated.

oVerde

Banned
Digitimes: Yeah we know Sony has about 10 millions Ps4s to ship and we estimate that Microsoft has 7-9 from our digitalism arses.

Skeff

That would force them to spin out iphone-level type of mass manufacture, ~ 4-5 mil units done before start of October [rest of October will be spent on boat shipping].

I know the 5m might have been a little high, but it is certainly feasible, especially as we know from the FCC filing they are manufacturing in Japan and China.

What exactly would be the most difficult component to manufacture? I assume it would be the APU, which hasn't changed since the original leaks last year and was confirmed back in February reveal, If they began manufacture in march we could go for:

March: 500k
April: 500k
May: 600k
June: 600k
July: 800k
August: 1m
September: 1m

I know the Console will not have been in production but the APU could have been which would be the most difficult to manufacture.

Anybody a little more knowledgeable on silicon production able to weigh in on the possibilities of this?

Q1 is a slow month.

Consoles usually only do 1m or lower in Q1.

McHuj

Maybe they can ship up to 5m this year. We'll have a better idea of when the release date is announced. I think if it's October, that 5m number may be doable. I would also expect Japan to get a launch this year if they're inventory is that high.

My concern is with demand from Q1 until Q4 of next year. I think they'll sell at a healthy clip, but similar to what PS3/360 were doing at that time, due to price and software availability. I expect some price movement prior to Q4/2014. Sony maybe able to drop the price a little, by then. MS will surely have to.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Here are my much more accurate estimates.

Sony has 1 - 10 million PS4's ready.

MS has 1 - 9 million XBO's ready.

Elios83

Fake.
Those numbers are pure nonsense. A worldwide launch in every market would have been already confirmed, pre-orders would still be open.
If I had to guess shipments will be 4m this year, 6m for the full FY.

McHuj

I know the 5m might have been a little high, but it is certainly feasible, especially as we know from the FCC filing they are manufacturing in Japan and China.

What exactly would be the most difficult component to manufacture? I assume it would be the APU, which hasn't changed since the original leaks last year and was confirmed back in February reveal, If they began manufacture in march we could go for:

March: 500k
April: 500k
May: 600k
June: 600k
July: 800k
August: 1m
September: 1m

I know the Console will not have been in production but the APU could have been which would be the most difficult to manufacture.

Anybody a little more knowledgeable on silicon production able to weigh in on the possibilities of this?

Yeah, APU and maybe the RAM since it looks like the PS4 is the first consumer product using those RAM densities.

With the APU how many the can manufacture really depends on the yields they are getting and how many wafers the Fab has capacity for. It probably takes 1-2 months to manufacture a chip so at this point those things had to have been in the oven for a while.

NateDrake

If they are shipping 10 million then no one needs a pre-order.

Is there actually a chance of the PS4 or Xbox One outselling the WiiU in one day if they have their supplies sorted properly?
No system has ever sold over 3mill in a single day. Maybe they will over the course of the first couple months -- Nov+ Dec WW, but not Day 1.

Hulohot

Neo Member
How have Microsoft prepared so many consoles so soon after the DRASTIC changes to the whole system? Surely it isn't that easy to reverse 180 on all of their policies, functionality and so soon after be mass producing the thing.

Are we going to have another red ring of death type fiasco from the rush changes?

GrandiaX

Banned
10 million.

Isn't that a bit much or is it for the fiscal year?

30M+

118.png

Top Bottom