• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DirectX Raytracing: Real-Time Denoised Raytraced Ambient Occlusion

CyberPanda

Banned
Found this interesting video, and if you're into tech, then I recommend watching it.

PortlyDiligentAppaloosa-size_restricted.gif

This is definitely going to be incorporated in Scarlett I think and should be interesting what results will come from it.

CyberPanda

Banned
Remember the dx12 secret sauce for xbox one 😂
This tech is actually being used in the PC space. Even Nvidia has teamed up with MS and implemented this into their graphics cards.

Shifty

Good video, though it could really have used more specific 'X on, Y off' overlays for each of the features during those final few comparison clips.

It's quite surprising that the AO buffer viewed alone can have such obvious temporal artifacting, but the final frame barely shows it after composing all the other effects. I was ready to roll my eyes, but am coming away pleasantly surprised.

That Scarlett gif is such console warrior bait though :goog_rofl:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
With all the videos about better hair effects, ray tracing, etc.....

when was the last time any dev showed gamers a snazzy new video on advanced AI scripts?

I don't think AI has improved in games in probably 20 years. NPCs are still dumb as rocks, AI teammates in sports are dumb as rocks, and anything from easy scrubs to bosses have the same "recognize my pattern of attack" algorithm that's been going on for decades.

Dev1lXYZ

when was the last time any dev showed gamers a snazzy new video on advanced AI scripts?

I don't think AI has improved in games in probably 20 years. NPCs are still dumb as rocks, AI teammates in sports are dumb as rocks, and anything from easy scrubs to bosses have the same "recognize my pattern of attack" algorithm that's been going on for decades.

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement. I own an Nvidia RTX 2070 and Control with full raytracing really doesn’t impress me that much. Even the hair effects and other bells and whistles they tout to sell cards....well I went a card from 10 years ago to now....and I can run games in 4K. That’s the biggest improvement.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I agree wholeheartedly with this statement. I own an Nvidia RTX 2070 and Control with full raytracing really doesn’t impress me that much. Even the hair effects and other bells and whistles they tout to sell cards....well I went a card from 10 years ago to now....and I can run games in 4K. That’s the biggest improvement.
I remember years back the reason why physics, AI, and snazzy animations were lacking were because...... "well, the technology isnt there yet. Not enough power".

Ya and that will the excuse in the year 2100 when games look and sound like real life, and load times on 64k res TVs load in half a second...... "but sorry gamers, still not enough power to improve AI and physics".... "oh, but here's Unreal Engine 18 with accurate snot hair reflections"

Tards.

Last edited:

Shifty

Can't show it off in screenshots, doesn't increase sales, blah blah blah :messenger_confused:

AI is also harder than rendering- every game needs to draw stuff in broadly the same fashion ("rasterize these triangles and fill them with these colours then post-process") so the techniques and research are common and readily-available.

AI is more of a domain-specific problem; it's specific to each game and tied to the set of actions and properties that define an actor in that game's simulation. You can still learn about proven techniques and implement them, but you still have to figure out how to apply that stuff to your game's mechanics.

I'd love to see more developers prioritize it though, regardless of all that. The AI in F.E.A.R. was dirt simple from a technical standpoint, is 14 years old, but still stands out as one of the better implementations in an FPS.

Last edited:
I remember the first time going through half life 2 with all the ground breaking physics and all the clever interactions between the player and environment. This really is the future.

Nope, just ray traced, globally illuminated, subsurface scattered nutsack shader emote to tea bag our faces with. Only 2500 ZOGbux in the item shop for a limited time. Best deal!

I remember the first time going through half life 2 with all the ground breaking physics and all the clever interactions between the player and environment. This really is the future.

Nope, just ray traced, globally illuminated, subsurface scattered nutsack shader emote to tea bag our faces with. Only 2500 ZOGbux in the item shop for a limited time. Best deal!
Raytracing is the future of graphics though. It helps developer workflows and is the only path to photorealism,and allows beautifully rendered non-realistic art styles to flourish more. Plus raytraced audio is incredibly noticeably better because audio has regressed over time.

By the way if you want those same thoughts that you had back with Half Life 2, keep an eye on Boneworks and the next Half Life game when Valve reveals it shortly. Both will be the next step in player and environment interaction.

Last edited:
I don't know when ambient occlusion has ever been such a big deal, to me whether it's realtime raytraced or baked I never gave a crap there's more important stuff to raytrace than silly ambient occlusion it's simply wasting resources

This will be cloud powered direct x 12 !

More seriously, de-noising is great for still images, but even the best algorithm will show pretty big movement artefacting on low sample images (you can see it in the shadows below the moving cars), enough that it is very distracting. Also, as you can see in the example, also a lot of fine details is lost.

This is nothing against their implementation, de-noising on moving images would require some kind of temporal pass, in a game that would probably mean rendering a couple of frames in advance to avoid this, which in return would force some level of extra input lag, because you would see the game "later".

Anyways, it's interesting, but I don't think it's directly related to xbox (even tho they are certainly looking into that kind of thing).

They should spend more time into Phyisics like this:

or scale physics (no cloud):

no matter tehnology , is game will be shit it will be shit with ray tracing too.
Raytraced shit is the shit!

Last edited:

Kumomeme

xbox one had tons of 'secret sauce' which is tons of loyal fans used to put their heartfull faith towards that..

from the 'magic' of esram to dx12 to cloud computing...lastly they just release xbox one x with none of those

Last edited:

joe_zazen

I remember years back the reason why physics, AI, and snazzy animations were lacking were because...... "well, the technology isnt there yet. Not enough power".

Ya and that will the excuse in the year 2100 when games look and sound like real life, and load times on 64k res TVs load in half a second...... "but sorry gamers, still not enough power to improve AI and physics".... "oh, but here's Unreal Engine 18 with accurate snot hair reflections"

Tards.

You think anyone will have time to game in 2100? Everyone gonna be workin 24/7 for mecha-Bezos.

pottuvoi

Banned
Really hope we will see more research toward bent normals and other directionally aware AO methods. (If proper GI is too heavy.)
Classic AO is really over simplified shadowing term for ambient light which looks bad in most cases.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i can't take anything serious that involves raytracing + console.

sure, next gen consoles will support it but the implementation will be severely limited. if a £1,000 GPU on PC can only manage games at 1080p with raytracing that what chance does a console have?

Last edited:

pottuvoi

Banned
i can't take anything serious that involves raytracing + console.

sure, next gen consoles will support it but the implementation will be severely limited. if a £1,000 GPU on PC can only manage games at 1080p with raytracing that what chance does a console have?
They need to use it in a cases which are not optimal with rasterization and work better with RT.
Some are not resolution dependant.

Journey

Banned

DX12 is real and applicable to the PC space, it blurs the line between console closed platform programming and PC open platform. That's what DX12 is supposed to do vs DX11 and all prior APIs. Just because some kids twisted into an Xbox One benefit doesn't change that.

I remember Digital Foundry saying Directx 12 to be a 'game changer' every bloody time as well. I'm a big fan of DF, but that shit was annoying.

It was and still is in terms of APIs.

This kind of framerate boost in Battlefield V would change anyone's game *No pun intended lol

yslMloU.png

Last edited:

Fake

It was and still is in terms of APIs.

This kind of framerate boost in Battlefield V would change anyone's game *No pun intended lol

yslMloU.png
LOL
Variable boost its not what I call 'Game Changer'.
Just a fast search on google and I can find how inconsistence directx 12 was being this generation.
Besides, directx 12 can only be used in one single OS, so no a big deal.
If you want a good example of Game Changer just check Doom 2016 using Vulkan API on AMD cards.

Journey

Banned
LOL
Variable boost its not what I call 'Game Changer'.
Just a fast search on google and I can find how inconsistence directx 12 was being this generation.
Besides, directx 12 can only be used in one single OS, so no a big deal.
If you want a good example of Game Changer just check Doom 2016 using Vulkan API on AMD cards.

I hope you realize that Mantle, Vulkan, DX12 are using the same principal and are all part of the same game changing idea lol.

DF: nVidia GeForce 256 introduces a "Game changer"
Fake: Ha, you want a real game changer, check out ATI's newest GPU.
Me: Facepalm.

Last edited:

Fake

I hope you realize that Mantle, Vulkan, DX12 are using the same principal and are all part of the same game changing idea lol.

DF: nVidia GeForce 256 introduces a "Game changer"
Fake: Ha, you want a real game changer, check out ATI's newest GPU.
Me: Facepalm.

The answer to whether DirectX 12 was better or worse than DirectX 11 boils down to “It depends.” Specifically, it depends on whether you’re using an AMD or an Nvidia GPU, and it depends on the game itself. AMD GPUs were less likely to show a performance delta between the two APIs, while Nvidia cards still tended to tilt towards DX11 overall.
CPU_FuryX-768x854.png

[H]ardOCP notes in its conclusion that DX11 is still the better overall API option, but that DX12 support has improved from both companies, performance deltas between the two APIs have dropped, and in a few cases, DX12 pulls out strong wins.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
no matter tehnology , is game will be shit it will be shit with ray tracing too.

Yes, bad games are bad.

glad we could clear that up, especially in a tech centered thread.

why do we see the same “if the games aren’t good, better tech doesn’t matter” posts before every new gen?”

better technology is always good.
There will be enough good games to take advantage of the better technology and the bad games won’t take away from that.

Last edited:

Journey

Banned
Yes, bad games are bad.

glad we could clear that up, especially in a tech centered thread.

why do we see the same “if the games aren’t good, better tech doesn’t matter” posts before every new gen?”

better technology is always good.
There will be enough good games to take advantage of the better technology and the bad games won’t take away from that.

It's only good, when their piece of plastic is at the center of attention lol.

DonF

come to think about it, this official scarlet logo animation is heavy on ray tracing.

too bad that ray tracing, like most tech, will evolve rapidly, and since consoles are fixed hardware, when next gen is released, its technology will already be kinda obsolete.

Pagusas

Elden Member

come to think about it, this official scarlet logo animation is heavy on ray tracing.

too bad that ray tracing, like most tech, will evolve rapidly, and since consoles are fixed hardware, when next gen is released, its technology will already be kinda obsolete.

it will evolve quickly yes, but a major part of that evolution will be software based. What we see by the end of next gen will be super impressive and thought impossible at the beginning, at least out of the fixed hardware.

Top Bottom