• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirge of Cerberus redux (US version)

Zaptruder

Banned
Video high lighting the differences found in the JP and soon to be release US version.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=12119&type=wmv

So is anyone else mildly intrested in DoC again after hearing news of the game changes that will be made?

It seems like those changes should turn DoC from steaming dog doo, to relatively playable third person shooter for the PS2, with an action/FFVII flavour.

If keyboard and mouse support is still included (no word on whether its been taken out or included), then it might turn out to be a really pretty enjoyable FPS.

They have taken out online support though, which hasn't been mentioned in the GT clip; although I doubt that's much of a loss from the original implementation (800 yen a month; community died within 2 weeks of launch)

Amir0x

Banned
seems like they changed it from anal flood to anal leakage

but hey, one of the biggest complaints was the camera angle in shoot mode which has been changed... so maybe it won't be a 2.0 game, but a 5.0 game.

I will buy this when it hits $9.99.

ethelred

No. No, no, no. Loathed this stinker at E3, heard nothing at all remotely positive from those who played the full game, and I'm not inclined to give it a second chance just because they realized how atrocious it was and tried to shoehorn in some last-minute course corrections ("HOLY CRAP, iceberg ahead -- move a little to the left!") for the US release.

u_neek

But... but... the cover art is cool :(

boxshot_us_large.jpg

Zaptruder

Banned
ethelred said:
No. No, no, no. Loathed this stinker at E3, heard nothing at all remotely positive from those who played the full game, and I'm not inclined to give it a second chance just because they realized how atrocious it was and tried to shoehorn in some last-minute course corrections ("HOLY CRAP, iceberg ahead -- move a little to the left!") for the US release.

Was the US version with the improvements available at E3?

What were the main complaints found in the original game? I'd have thought these improvements went a long way to addressing them.

I doubt anyone other than FFVII fans would be intrested, but if they released the JP version as is, I don't think even they would be intrested.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Actually...with it being sped up, it looks better. Not that it looks good, but it looks better.

duckroll

ethelred said:

You're lucky this isn't a RPG on the PSP, or you'll be doomed to play it anyway. :D

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
sp0rsk said:
that actually doesnt look too horrible, maybe even slightly fun looking!

I kind of agree with you. It looks faster and more fluid. It is just short clips though. Over the course of a whole game, the design could wear thin quickly.

Drakken

Zaptruder said:
Was the US version with the improvements available at E3?

What were the main complaints found in the original game? I'd have thought these improvements went a long way to addressing them.

Nope, the E3 build was the old one. The main complaints were:

-Vincent is too slow
-Vincent can't attack in mid-air
-Vincent can't move and shoot
-Vincent has to stop and fire at enemies from a poor over-the-shoulder view

The fixes in the updated version are:

-Vincent is faster
-Vincent can use both melee and gun attacks in mid-air
-Vincent can move around and jump while firing (you retain full control over him)
-No more poor over-the-shoulder view when firing

At least, that's what I've gathered from this preview of the improved version.

lyre

u_neek said:
But... but... the cover art is cool :(

http://www.tothegame.com/res/game/4177/boxshot_us_large.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
That looks like this:
[IMG]http://www.gamestop.com/common/images/lbox/938498b.jpg
but obviously not nearly as good.

And then theres something with even better boxart and everything else
281461b.jpg
Why bother with the thing in subject when something clearly arms, legs, head, guns and swords better has been released?? And for a lot cheaper too. Boggles the mind.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Drakken said:

-Vincent is too slow

-Vincent is faster
-Vincent can move around and jump while firing (you retain full control over him)

Having played the first stage, I'd say these improvements would make vast improvements.
I'm no action game junkie and it's not the best game I've played, but I'm enjoying myself.
That said, if you're a junkie of the FF stuff, I think it's worth playing. At how much should you buy it? Well that's a different story. I paid $20 for the gimped Japaense release and have no remorse. Plus, there's some definite wtf moments like
Reeve getting shot the **** up, Vincent going OMGWTF and then Cait Sith popping out of the metal Reeve casing. Roofles

"Having played the first stage, I'd say these improvements would make vast improvements."
God I can't speak.
These improvements are needed and would make the game even more fun. :p

Drakken said:

-Vincent is too slow

-Vincent is faster

I look forward to the full-price Japanese 'international' rerelease with these fixes added and maybe a different Gackt ending or something.

well, I don't so much look forward to it as I look forward to laughing at it

duckroll

the year 20XX said:
I look forward to the full-price Japanese 'international' rerelease with these fixes added and maybe a different Gackt ending or something.

It will probably be released together with Crisis Core and feature new scenes that "connect" the two better too! :D

{Mike}

Banned
Amir0x said:
seems like they changed it from anal flood to anal leakage

but hey, one of the biggest complaints was the camera angle in shoot mode which has been changed... so maybe it won't be a 2.0 game, but a 5.0 game.

I will buy this when it hits $9.99.
:lol

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
the year 20XX said:

It doesn't mean anything because I partially bought this game because of Gackt, right? :(

ZeoVGM

Banned
it was without a doubt a 4.0/5.0 game from what i played of the import.

they seem to be fixing all my problems with it. im willing to bet it ends up being a 7.5 game when i play the us version (hopefully)

The End

If the improvements actually work, I'll totally get it at $20 or so

it's telling that Gamestop is running a promo where you trade in "select titles" for $20 in credit towards this.

The "select titles" also happen to be some fairly worthwhile games like SMT:Nocturne and ZOE2.

Actually that "trade in certain games" for credit towards Dirge sounds like a good idea...

...If you're an employee of the store. Maybe if there's a particular game I want to play I'll make up some deal where they can trade in Radiant Silvergun and get some credit towards ...well hell I can't think of anything worse than Dirge so oh well.

ZeoVGM

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Actually that "trade in certain games" for credit towards Dirge sounds like a good idea...

...If you're an employee of the store. Maybe if there's a particular game I want to play I'll make up some deal where they can trade in Radiant Silvergun and get some credit towards ...well hell I can't think of anything worse than Dirge so oh well.

uh a) yes you can

and b) that made no sense

Ranger X

I'm definetely interested in this game. DMC3 may be a better and similar game but hey, i like the FF7 universe and it's going to compensate for the little inferiority in gameplay compared to DMC3.

duckroll

Ranger X said:
I'm definetely interested in this game. DMC3 may be a better and similar game but hey, i like the FF7 universe and it's going to compensate for the little inferiority in gameplay compared to DMC3.

Erm, other than the similarities in the lead character, the game is nothing like DMC3. DMC3 is an action game, this is a third person shooter.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Ranger X said:
It's not just a little inferior in comparison to DMC3.

Ranger X

duckroll said:
Erm, other than the similarities in the lead character, the game is nothing like DMC3. DMC3 is an action game, this is a third person shooter.

Well, i said that because it seems to be what people are stating the more often as a comparison. I obviously noticed it's more shooting and less combo.

Anyway, it does make it for me because i like the fact it's more shooting less combos.
Sorry for the "not really dead on" comparison.

What I don't get is that there are still a lot of people who are really objective to this game. Yes there are fixes but the game was originally a complete turd. Sure it might be playable but at the same time you can easily do so much better.

I mean it's one thing if you're supporting 99 Nights because hey that's cool with me. Terrible game sure but the money will go to supporting Miz who seems to be having some issues lately and will need the money to get through them(kidding). But $50 to support Square making lame cash-ins on FF7? Nope not happening. I think Dirge lasted a month or so in Japan before Play-asia started marking it down to $30 and below. It's getting some polishing no doubt but it'll still suck.

Also if you can't compare it to DMC3 you can compare it to RE4. It is a third person shooter right? Hmm.

Oda

This game has always been a definite purchase for me, due to my love for the FF7 universe, my weakness for Cloud and Tifa fanservice and the awesome quality cinemas. The Nojima storyline craziness and subpar gameplay had me thinking I should wait until I could find it uber cheap, but now that they've at least improved the controls and whatnot I'll grab this as soon as I can find it for $30.

Tiktaalik

The improvements seem to cover a lot of the complaints that people had about the Japanese version. It'll be interesting to see how the reviews of the North American version turn out. I'm a bit more interested in the title now. I wasn't interested at all before.

ZeoVGM

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
What I don't get is that there are still a lot of people who are really objective to this game. Yes there are fixes but the game was originally a complete turd. Sure it might be playable but at the same time you can easily do so much better.

I mean it's one thing if you're supporting 99 Nights because hey that's cool with me. Terrible game sure but the money will go to supporting Miz who seems to be having some issues lately and will need the money to get through them(kidding). But $50 to support Square making lame cash-ins on FF7? Nope not happening. I think Dirge lasted a month or so in Japan before Play-asia started marking it down to $30 and below. It's getting some polishing no doubt but it'll still suck.

except they're trying to fix my only problems with the japan version (though they were BIG problems), so it may NOT suck, and it may be above average when it comes here.

it's okay to support a piece of crap like 99 Nights but not this because it's a "lame cashin". who cares? if i have fun with the final version, i could really care less.

Oda

If anything, wouldn't it be more important to support a game like this to show publishers that we really do appreciate them tweaking their games for the better before releasing them here?

Square/enix would be doing us an even bigger favor by not releasing the game at all in the US(Yeah I said it I'm going to hell).
I can't say I'm mad at them for trying honestly. It's just there are so many better options out there. I certainly appreciate the fact that they want to improve the game. Oh and yes I didn't like FF7 so I guess that might have something to do with it too.

And the Miz thing was a joke. Actually originally I wanted to say "but the money will go to supporting Microsoft..." but I decided to back out at the last second. If somebody got around to fixing THAT game well damn.

RevenantKioku

the year 20XX said:
Dude couldn't afford it on his own? He must be pretty deep in debt to L'Oreal or something.
Astroglide actually. :eek:

Brobzoid said:
how is this gackt?`what does he do? Another Nomura?

Gackt is a Japanese rock singer who has recently also become a character in the FF VII "universe," appearing in both Dirge of Cerberus and the upcoming Crisis Core.

Sallokin

I'm guessing this will end up being a 5 or 6 out of 10. I'm curious to see if the improvements actually make it worth playing.

I'll rent it just to see how the story turns out, but I really don't see why SE wasted all this time with these spin-offs instead of giving the fans a direct sequel to the game.

Also, the real question we should be asking is, where's our FFVIII compilation? ^_^

Top Bottom