• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten |OT| - Defend The Prinnies, Define Your Netherworld.

Nyx

Looks like this is becoming hard to find online and the price is skyrocketing. Makes me regret passing on the amazon lightning deals for the premium edition for $40.

I actually found it for 18 euros last Monday (zavvi.com), so bought it.

But now I'm looking for a noob guide or something, as I've read this is the most complex Disgaea yet and I've never played one before.

It's only as complex as you let it be.

There's nothing missable in the game, so for your first time through just play the game and have fun with it. Dive deeper after you've decided how much you like the game.

hertog

Just started with part 4 and I must say that I really like the 2 main characters.

But I wonder about one thing. Why should I get the upgraded version of all the classes. I mean my first warrior type is already at lvl 30-something. Don't want to get characters at lvl 1 again :(.

Well, you're clearly not in the proper mindset for a Disgaea game if you don't want to lose a measly 30 levels. :p
So don't feel forced to do anything that doesn't feel right to you. If you just wanna play through the main story for now there's really no reason to bother with higher classes at all. Just keep going.

Just started with part 4 and I must say that I really like the 2 main characters.

But I wonder about one thing. Why should I get the upgraded version of all the classes. I mean my first warrior type is already at lvl 30-something. Don't want to get characters at lvl 1 again :(.

There's no reason to get new classes unless you really like them, the first time you play through the game. After you beat it, you might then want to start playing around with all the extra stuff.

hertog

if you get into a fight in a mystery room, is there any other option than to quit the game?

I'm really mad about this :(

if you get into a fight in a mystery room, is there any other option than to quit the game?

I'm really mad about this :(

the fights aren't automatic, so if you get into one, it's because you talked to someone

there are two types of fights in the mystery rooms, fights you have to clear and fights with turn limits

most turn limits can't be avoided, but if you send out one sacrifice per turn you can move on with your game

fights you have to clear are triggered by you talking to someone, usually more than once

the big dragon and a circle of monsters around you are turn limit fights, and i think all the others have to be fought

so just learn who you can and can't talk to as you play, and don't talk to anyone more than once if they're really high level

There's enough distance now between when I played 3 to start looking at this.

Tell me this though: how's the story? I know that the gameplay is still the same solid Disgaea thing, but the story and the characters are a huge part of what I love about these games. When the credits roll the thing that makes me want to play the extra content is my love for the characters and the world. Problem is, every sequel has disappointed me in that department. My top 3 Disgaea game list goes Disgaea 1>2>3

I thought it was pretty entertaining, but I personally don't think there has ever been a particularly amazing or terrible Disgaea story to begin with. I feel like all Disgaea games have a more or less equally silly, lighthearted and enjoyable premise and cast.
D4 may actually have my favorite Disgaea character, though. Desco was fucking adorable.

I thought it was pretty entertaining, but I personally don't think there has ever been a particularly amazing or terrible Disgaea story to begin with. I feel like all Disgaea games have a more or less equally silly, lighthearted and enjoyable premise and cast.

They haven't been terrible, but Disgaea 1 was magic as far as I'm concerned. So packed with humor and an excellently realized idea of the world. You go from a completely silly plotpoint to the next completely silly plotpoint, full of laugh out loud hilarious dialog. There's a level where Laharl is weakened because there are boobs in the vicinity for christ sake. That's hilarious. The story is constantly moving to give you an excuse to quickly be involved with some other completely stupid thing. "Everyone wants to kill the main character now, so here's a level where every single point on the map has an enemy in it. That's funny, right? Okay, let's go to space now."

I loved that.

Disgaea 2 was still good. I didn't like Adell because he was a hero cliche in a not the-funny-Captain-Gordon-from-Disgaea-1 sort of way, but the game still had Rozalin and Tink to add to the silliness. Since the characters all had one specific goal from the start of the game, they spent most of their time going from point A to B fighting random battles in between and less time on tangents and random silliness like the whole bit with Mid-Boss in Disgaea 1.

Mao in Disgaea 3 was like a poor man's Laharl. That just made me want to play 1 again. Almaz was like a more whiny Adell. Raspberyl just wishes she could be Etna. All of the characters seemed like replacements for the things I love about this series. The story is 85% about literally opening up your heart, which is a funny idea in concept, but I couldn't help but feel that this would have been a small tangent of 3 levels in Disgaea 1 where they would have gotten the laugh out of me as the game quickly moves on to something else silly. The whole bit with Mao not wanting to open up but then opening up also just reeks of Laharl. All of Disgaea 3 just made me want to play 1 again.

hertog

They haven't been terrible, but Disgaea 1 was magic as far as I'm concerned. So packed with humor and an excellently realized idea of the world. You go from a completely silly plotpoint to the next completely silly plotpoint, full of laugh out loud hilarious dialog. There's a level where Laharl is weakened because there are boobs in the vicinity for christ sake. That's hilarious. The story is constantly moving to give you an excuse to quickly be involved with some other completely stupid thing. "Everyone wants to kill the main character now, so here's a level where every single space has an enemy in it. That's funny, right? Okay, let's go to space now."

I loved that.

Disgaea 2 was still good. I didn't like Adell because he was a hero cliche in a not the-funny-Captain-Gordon-from-Disgaea-1 sort of way, but the game still had Rozalin and Tink to add to the silliness. Since the characters all had one specific goal from the start of the game, they spent most of their time going from point A to B fighting random battles in between and less time on tangents and random silliness like the whole bit with Mid-Boss in Disgaea 1.

Mao in Disgaea 3 was like a poor man's Laharl. That just made me want to play 1 again. Almaz was like a more whiny Adell. Raspberyl just wishes she could be Etna. All of the characters seemed like replacements for the things I love about this series. The story is 85% about literally opening up your heart, which is a funny idea in concept, but I couldn't help but feel that this would have been a small tangent of 3 levels in Disgaea 1 where they would have gotten the laugh out of me as the game quickly moves on to something else silly. The whole bit with Mao not wanting to open up but then opening up also just reeks of Laharl. All of Disgaea 3 just made me want to play 1 again.

I like the story of part 4 a lot more than 3.
Raspberryl was really annoying in 3, but I really liked Mao.

Part 4 has a more grown up cast and every sardine reference manages to get a laugh out of me thus far.

hertog

I also prefer the cast and story in D4. Valva is a really solid character.

Still I was afraid in the beginning for a twilight parody with a vampire/werewolf and a human\
:(

Never seen any of those movies or read the books, still they've changed the way I look at these classic monsters :(

cj_iwakura

I like the story of part 4 a lot more than 3.
Raspberryl was really annoying in 3, but I really liked Mao.

Part 4 has a more grown up cast and every sardine reference manages to get a laugh out of me thus far.

Raspberyl was awesome. Still need to play her DLC.

well fuck... I think I screw up, badly...

so im at mt ordeal lvling up, all good, but then went to pass some bills, and did the prinny day, which I tought was another area at the dimension guide.

the thing is I have the stronger enemies bill passed, and my 2 only prinnies were reincarnated and they are al lvl 1...

im fucked up? tried to do more prinnies to fusion them, but I cant use any bills on prinny day...

EDIT: well forget it... It seems my lvl 1 are not so bad lol passed the first mission on my first try.... anyway whats the point on prinny day?

scy

Audίoboxer;39284445 said:
2.74GB update on launch?! WTF?

On the plus side, there won't be any more patches since all the DLC is done. But, yeah, the DLC are kind of big and there were a lot of them. And you do have to download them all even if you aren't planning on buying any of them.

Wool

On the plus side, there won't be any more patches since all the DLC is done. But, yeah, the DLC are kind of big and there were a lot of them. And you do have to download them all even if you aren't planning on buying any of them.

Were they good? I was sort of done with the game before they came out.

Audioboxer

I see! I'll consider DLC later.

Does anyone have any tips or guides for first time Disgaea players, or should I just jump in?

Audίoboxer;39289555 said:

Does anyone have any tips or guides for first time Disgaea players, or should I just jump in?

Don't get bogged down with the details too much.

Save things like Item World, reincarnation, and the like for after you've gotten through the main story.

scy

Were they good? I was sort of done with the game before they came out.

Honestly, I never bought any. I burned myself out pretty early on :x They're mostly just cameo characters, however. Some do add more to the game, though, like the Tyrant Val and Fuka scenario DLCs. Those are probably worth it just for the extra content.

Audίoboxer;39289555 said:

Yeah, the best advice is to just take things slowly. There's a lot to the game and it's overwhelming if you try to learn all of them at once. At it's core, just focus on progressing through the story. That'll get you many of the basics of the mechanics down and you can then worry about ... well, everything else.

cj_iwakura

Delivery estimate: Nov. 15, 2012 - Nov. 19, 2012
1 "Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten (Premium Edition)"
Video Game; $35.99

As an FYI. Heck of a deal too. (I may always get the Disgaeas late, but I always get them.)

Valatorez is good, though I think I loved Emizel the best. I cant wait, or at least am hoping this makes its way to Vita so I can replay again.

Still I wish I could have my dream team all in in one game, maybe Disgaea 5.

cj_iwakura

Valatorez is good, though I think I loved Emizel the best. I cant wait, or at least am hoping this makes its way to Vita so I can replay again.

Still I wish I could have my dream team all in in one game, maybe Disgaea 5.

I hope I'm not the only one who'd prefer a new D5 cast to Disgaea D2. They're so dang good at making new arrays of characters, why stop now?

hertog

Just finished the game.
Loved it start to finish, maybe I'm even gonna bother with some post-game :)

If this ever comes out on the Vita, I'll double dip day one

balddemon

Banned
gonna buy this tomorrow, only $20 new. the premium edition is only $60, but there isn't a store within 100 miles of me that has a premium. so I'll just go with the new lol. I played the shit out of disgaea ds (300+ hours) so I hope I like this one.

cj_iwakura

gonna buy this tomorrow, only $20 new. the premium edition is only $60, but there isn't a store within 100 miles of me that has a premium. so I'll just go with the new lol. I played the shit out of disgaea ds (300+ hours) so I hope I like this one.

You'll love it.

And I got the CE(with one figure & artbook) for $35 off Amazon a while back.

Should I play this as well? I've been lightly debating whether to buy the game or not. I'm nott that big of a srpg player, I've only really played srpg's like Jeanne D'arc and Yggdra Union, I've started the first Disgaea but stopped and never got back to playing it.

I have Disgaea 3 which I'm borrowing from a friend but never touched it. Should I play that (Disgaea 3) or get Disgaea 4?

balddemon

Banned
I just got it, time to waste my life away for a 1000 hour platinum trophy.
Should I play this as well? I've been lightly debating whether to buy the game or not. I'm nott that big of a srpg player, I've only really played srpg's like Jeanne D'arc and Yggdra Union, I've started the first Disgaea but stopped and never got back to playing it.

I have Disgaea 3 which I'm borrowing from a friend but never touched it. Should I play that (Disgaea 3) or get Disgaea 4?
lmao I was almost in the same boat, borrowing 3 from a friend but yeah never touched it and gave it back. recently put another 100 hours into disgaea ds so I decided to pick this one up. I'll post back in here how it is later.

Yes, play this. 3 or 4, doesn't matter. Just pick one and go. You can always go back to the other.

balddemon

Banned
yeah I don't think I'll be putting this down any time soon. only done a few of the story maps so far but I'm already hooked. I love that it has way more content than the ds game (evilities, general store, cam-pain). also still has the silly humor :p

balddemon

Banned
val, desco, and the skull that is given to you at the beginning of the game are my strongest characters haha. desco is simply a beast with yog sothoth, val does like 5k with hurricane slash with no boosts from the front, and the skull is beast mode with star and fire magic. then I use vulcanus (cuz shes hot and guns are good for lowering spd), and 2 others I can't remember at the moment for some reason. anyways, looking forward to 9-4 so I can get some beastmode levels and get val to 500 so I can get the true final battle ending.

I started playing again this game after a while, I'm at chapter 3. I wanted to ask some tips, since I'm new to the Disgaea series.
For example I don't remember one thing, how do characters level up? By killing enemies?
Should I train only a few units?
How do I get sp to level up skills?
Thank you!

I started playing again this game after a while, I'm at chapter 3. I wanted to ask some tips, since I'm new to the Disgaea series.
For example I don't remember one thing, how do characters level up? By killing enemies?
Should I train only a few units?
How do I get sp to level up skills?
Thank you!

Killing enemies is the easiest way to level up. You also get experience for healing, but it's not something you can rely on to get stronger.

It doesn't really matter. Having one really strong person or using ten people equally, and everything inbetween, are all viable strategies. Using fewer units is faster though. Having three or four for attacking, and the rest for support and as decoys is probably the best way to play through your first time, though.

Your people get Mana equal to the level of the enemies they kill. This is the currency used to buy new skills, level up current skills, and propose bills in the assembly.

Dazzyman

I've had this sat on the shelf since release and got into it this week. I have 3 and couldn't get into it then same with 4. Forced an afternoon on it and it just clicked, love it and had to get D2 to add for the set.

Any tips for new users with grinding.

Also bit confused with XP (read a FAQ and not sure if it's right). There is a bar top right what goes up is that XP? Also do you only get xp for a kill with that character (or if it's team attack split) or is it split to how many is on the field?

Another question a guide said you should only have 5 non named chars to stop spreading xp out does that include was tommy and the healer, cat and prinnies? Basically how many should I have? Also what about the HQ map as I need to put more new chars down don't I? Do I just put a new char down and then not level it?

And finally what's the best DLC?

I'm late to the party but I'm glad I made myself spend time with it and get over the complexity hurdles as once I did about 10hrs it didn't seem as difficult as the start, it just isn't explained I guess or hand holding

Falk

that puzzling face
The cast of 3 can get really annoying if you're simply sick of school tropes. 4 has a much better plot and story, so it was a cool choice to jump back in to.

The FAQs are pretty spot on. There are just some very obtuse mechanics that, while quirky, have become so much a genre staple that veterans go into each new Disgaea game looking for the same patterns for grinding, etc. Sometimes the FAQs skimp on that info.

Top Bottom