• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgea 3 announced for PS3, Looks like PS2 game

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrricky

Banned
The problem with those screens are that the low res stuff clashes with the high res stuff too much making it look yuck................for a PS3 game, sorry.

Lightning

Banned
jrricky said:
The problem with those screens are that the low res stuff clashes with the high res stuff too much making it look yuck................for a PS3 game, sorry.
Even if the graphics are not up to the standards of other PS3 games I would rather gave PS3 owners the option of playing the game then force their hand by moving it to another system.

Every PS3 game does not need to have stellar graphics in order to be a decent successful game.

Kittonwy said:
By putting Disgaea on the PS3, they essentially have a monopoly in the genre and got their foot in the door before Atlus, as the PS3 userbase expands and PS3 owners buy more games, Nippon Ichi becomes the de facto SRPG brand, similar to how Resistance becomes THE shooter franchise and Motorstorm becomes THE racing franchise.

That is hardly true, it's not like Disgaea is made by Nintendo, right now the wii appeals with non-games like wii play, not traditional games like SRPGs from Nippon Ichi, which will have to compete with stuff like wii play on the wii.

Is it just me, or are these two statements somewhat contradictory?

Durante

404Ender said:
There was no way of guessing which platform N1 would support the most before this announcement.
Huh? They were one of the companies featured already on the very earliest publisher support lists that floated around long before the PS3/"Revolution" (at the time) launch. You're making a big surprise out of an expected development.

Edit:
In fact, I distinctly remember that back then, when I read N1 and Gust on that list, my first reaction was to joke about whether they'd upgrade to SD on PS3 :lol

Tellaerin

Lightning said:
Even if the graphics are not up to the standards of other PS3 games I would rather gave PS3 owners the option of playing the game then force their hand by moving it to another system.

Yes, moving it to the PS2 would really be forcing PS3 owners' hands.

AniHawk said:
That should've done the trick. Now just sit back and wait for them to announce a PS2 version.

I thought that was the PS2 version. Just, you know, being released for the PS3 instead. :p

Lightning

Banned
Tellaerin said:
Yes, moving it to the PS2 would really be forcing PS3 owners' hands.
Not the PS2, but moving it to the Wii would and if they want the game on a "current gen" console that is the only other option.

I mean, I love my PS2 but the system is on it's last legs now. I don't really think that producing games for it now is the way to move forward.

schild

So.... I have 3 choices for my response?

A. Zomg, tiny dev house can't make it look like Gears of War or Killzone 2.
B. I'm going to boycott NISA/N1 because I'm too poor/bad at money management to buy a PS3.
C. <System Wars>
Edit D. I know more about business than these guys, check out my sweet high school diploma on the wall.

Clownshoes. Nearly all of you.

schild said:
So.... I have 3 choices for my response?

A. Zomg, tiny dev house can't make it look like Gears of War or Killzone 2.
B. I'm going to boycott NISA/N1 because I'm too poor/bad at money management to buy a PS3.
C. <System Wars>
Edit D. I know more about business than these guys, check out my sweet high school diploma on the wall.

Clownshoes. Nearly all of you.
F. I have plenty of money and can buy a PS3 anytime I want to, but I don't want to waste the money on yet another system that I'll only play for maybe 40 hours a year.

MrDaravon

schild said:

Wait, you're seriously suggesting that a fairly niche game would NOT sell better on the PS2 with a 100+ million userbase than the PS3 which is at what, 3 million? Especially considering it as far as we know doesn't take advantage of the PS3 capabilities in any way whatsoever? And considering that the PS3 is backwards compatible? GTFO.

schild

bmf said:
F. I have plenty of money and can buy a PS3 anytime I want to, but I don't want to waste the money on yet another system that I'll only play for maybe 40 hours a year.

My Wii has been turned on for less than 8 hours since I got it.

Wait, you're seriously suggesting that a fairly niche game would NOT sell better on the PS2 with a 100+ million userbase than the PS3 which is at what, 3 million? Especially considering it as far as we know doesn't take advantage of the PS3 capabilities in any way whatsoever? And considering that the PS3 is backwards compatible? GTFO.

The extra 50 Million PS2s sold between Disgaea 1 and 2 didn't change the sales numbers... nearly at all. Do you know something I don't? That's not likely at all.

MrDaravon

schild said:

How is that any sort of reasonable counter argument to what he said? You're basically admitting you spent $250 on a paper weight, good for you.

The extra 50 Million PS2s sold between Disgaea 1 and 2 didn't change the sales numbers... nearly at all. Do you know something I don't? That's not likely at all.

Wow. Are you serious? Wow. Even by your stellar logic, when Disgaea 1 was released there was at least a PS2 userbase of 50 million. There's 3 million (approximately) right now. And the PS2 was half of the cost of the PS3 up until a week or two ago on top of that.

50 million. 3 million.

The alligator eats the smaller number.

schild said:
I guess I missed the part where he mentioned the Wii in his response.

I would like to add

F: I'm glad to see a sequel on whatever system it's on, but I'm somewhat concerned a certain draconian NA branch of a hardware company is going to refuse Disgaea 3.

Alex

bmf said:

Then why would you want Disgaea 3 if you don't have the time/urge to play it?

Mrbob said:
Only reason to want it on another system is fanboyism. NI is courting their fanbase here, and it won't magically sell better on another platform.
Not PS2, where their fanbase already is?

This move just seems really weird. It's as if Lufia 3 was announced in 1997 as an exclusive N64 game that used low-color sprites. Though in that case there'd be slightly more reason, with N64 not being backward compatible.

schild

Segata Sanshiro said:
I guess I missed the part where he mentioned the Wii in his response.

I would like to add

F: I'm glad to see a sequel on whatever system it's on, but I'm somewhat concerned a certain draconian NA branch of a hardware company is going to refuse Disgaea 3.

He has mario in a suit as his avatar. His past posts indicate a financial and emotional attachment to the Wii. He didn't need to mention it, his history does it for him. He might as well have come out and said "Port to the Wii confirmed."

As for SCEA, it's highly doubtful they'll block the release of this title. They seem much more open to reason this generation. They MAY however force it to the PSN by episode or allow NISA to release it as a budget title on DVD-9.

Alex said:
Then why would you want Disgaea 3? :p
It would be the game for that year. I'd play like 40 hours in a weekend, then have to work for a week, and by the time I got back to it a week later, I'd have forgotten what strategies to use with what character. The game interests me, but other than it, there's not much for me on the system until WKS or FFXIII.

schild said:
That's nice. I've maybe played mine for a little over a hundred hours including Zelda, SPM, RE4, and various amounts of different VC games. I'm sure that many have played more than me, and I'm sure there have been plenty of people getting more play out of it. Different strokes for different folks, ya know.

AniHawk

schild said:
He has mario in a suit as his avatar. His past posts indicate a financial and emotional attachment to the Wii. He didn't need to mention it, his history does it for him. He might as well have come out and said "Port to the Wii confirmed."
Homer.gif

schild said:
He has mario in a suit as his avatar. His past posts indicate a financial and emotional attachment to the Wii. He didn't need to mention it, his history does it for him. He might as well have come out and said "Port to the Wii confirmed.".
You're stalking me. How sweet.

schild said:

Man in Black: Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

princess_bride-vizzini-2.jpg

schild said:
"Port to the Wii confirmed."
Sorry I didn't respond to this in my last post, but yes, I'd certainly like to see it on the Wii or the PS2. I do in fact like to see projects happen on the Wii. It does in fact help me make money, but in this case my primary concern is that I'd rather not have to lay out $600(or $500 or whatever) plus the cost of a rental to find out if this interests me like the first one did, or if it bores me like Makai Kingdom managed to.

Somnid

There's some serious overestimation of this niche crowd. Even among fanboys price is still an issue. A PS3 for N1 is truely a test of devotion, I refuse to believe anyone can treat PS3 as "just another system" at it's asking price unless you're bathing in money.

monkeylite said:
i think it looks awesome.

i hope they go crazy on the spell/skill attack effects. :D

ps. i really hate you all, especially the nintendo fans. we should be celebrating in this thread, not cryin' or wishing for ports to your system of choice.

Scrubking

Even NIS knows that their games don't sell many copies usually making limited production runs. There has to be some underlying reason why they did this because this is a bad business decision any way you cut it.

Linkup

dai said:
i think it looks awesome.

i hope they go crazy on the spell/skill attack effects. :D

ps. i really hate you all, especially the nintendo fans. we should be celebrating in this thread, not cryin' or wishing for ports to your system of choice.

Hate is a strong word.

mrpeabody

arias said:
I read the statistics on the PDF.

Disgaea 1 - 295,000 JP 122,000 Overseas
Disgaea 2 - 160,000 JP 125,000 Overseas (up till currently July 3rd)

It does better digits than you think. The PS3 trolling on this thread is incredible.. some hitting on Disgaea for its graphics.. others stealth trolling like Speevy. In-****ing-credible.
Wow, look at those stats. Japanese sales drop by almost half, yet overseas nudge up slightly. Very strange.

Obviously Disgaea 3 will do 80,000 JP and 128,000 Overseas. Scientifically proven!

bmf said:

But that's a choice you always have to make when new systems are introduced and games come out for them: "Do I want this enough to spend the money?"

Your comments are an understandable indication of disappointment. What's weird is the people in the thread who seem to take it as a personal affront that some company would DARE make a product not tailored to their liking. . .and then wrap their fit of pique in rationalizations like, "Don't they want to make money?!"

mrpeabody said:
Wow, look at those stats. Japanese sales drop by almost half, yet overseas nudge up slightly. Very strange.

Obviously Disgaea 3 will do 80,000 JP and 128,000 Overseas. Scientifically proven!
I don't think the sequel was as good of a game, at least it didn't manage to grab my attention past the first 10 minutes. Maybe the niche in Japan noticed the problems with the game and told each other about it on 4chan.

Liabe Brave said:
But that's a choice you always have to make when new systems are introduced and games come out for them: "Do I want this enough to spend the money?"

Your comments are an understandable indication of disappointment. What's weird is the people in the thread who seem to take it as a personal affront that some company would DARE make a product not tailored to their liking. . .and then wrap their fit of pique in rationalizations like, "Don't they want to make money?!"

Companies have to make money to continue making games. Which is why most games went to the PS2.

And come on, $500 and up is a steep price to pay for many, especially when the promise of other future games isn't quite as high.

Terrell

bmf said:
Sorry I didn't respond to this in my last post, but yes, I'd certainly like to see it on the Wii or the PS2.
Why not both? Wouldn't be the first time that's ever happened. That way, this whole 'fanboy bias" bull can be dropped because EVERYONE gets to revel in Disgaea love... well, except 360 fans, of course, but I doubt they were expecting this to end up on that platform anyways.

Somnid said:
There's some serious overestimation of this niche crowd. Even among fanboys price is still an issue. A PS3 for N1 is truely a test of devotion, I refuse to believe anyone can treat PS3 as "just another system" at it's asking price unless you're bathing in money.
A quick glance at GAF can easily tell you that even the most stalwart fanboy thinks PS3's price is a big pill to swallow.

Terrell said:
Why not both?
Both is fine. Hell if they wanted pull an EA and put it on PSP DS and 360 as well that would be fine.
I personally don't see why it isn't going to the 360 and the Wii as well. Given that all three are PowerPC based and have fairly swaky 3d hardware, I would think that they'd pick a middleware vendor and just put it on a middleware platform. Hell. I'm surprised that transgaming isn't trying to put together a OGL -> D3D layer for this type of thing. Maybe they have and I just haven't heard of it.

cartman414 said:
Companies have to make money to continue making games. Which is why most games went to the PS2.

I don't think this game is as risky as some make out. It's clearly low-cost, so their exposure is low. Putting it on Wii would require designing and making a whole new engine; putting it on PS2 would provide a much larger but much more competitive market. The decision is chancy, but I don't think any other platform is an inevitable slam dunk, and Disgaea 3 bombing wouldn't take the company down entirely.

cartman414 said:
And come on, $500 and up is a steep price to pay for many, especially when the promise of other future games isn't quite as high.

PS3 is a hefty chunk of change. But so were the Atari 2600, Saturn, and NeoGeo. As always, weigh your desire for the games against your budget. Sony may have made the decision harder, but that's life.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
holy shit, the resolution difference between the sprites and the backgrounds looks HORRIBLE -- actually that sort of thing looks bad even in 480i

d[-_-]b

Banned
Liabe Brave said:
I don't think this game is as risky as some make out. It's clearly low-cost, so their exposure is low. Putting it on Wii would require designing and making a whole new engine; putting it on PS2 would provide a much larger but much more competitive market. The decision is chancy, but I don't think any other platform is an inevitable slam dunk, and Disgaea 3 bombing wouldn't take the company down entirely.

PS3 is a hefty chunk of change. But so were the Atari 2600, Saturn, and NeoGeo. As always, weigh your desire for the games against your budget. Sony may have made the decision harder, but that's life.
Saturn, NeoGeo you make this too easy...

d[-_-]b said:
Saturn, NeoGeo you make this too easy...

That was my entire point. Whether Sony's approach results in complete success or utter disaster, it's no different than any other console. Complaining at bitter length as some have been doing is unproductive and, frankly, boring. I don't go around constantly wailing, "Why can't Radiant Silvergun be ported to PS2?!" and I'd rather not have a thread about a game I'm interested in be buried under like-minded teeth-gnashing.

Disappointment is completely understandable. At times in here, it seems to be bubbling over into entitlement.

Liabe Brave said:

What do you mean by engine? Controls?

cartman414 said:
What do you mean by engine? Controls?

Yeah, you're totally right. I should've said "GUI", not engine. It's not like that would be very difficult, but given their evident aversion to anything new it might dissuade them.

In any case, I didn't mean for my arguments to point toward PS3 as the only good choice of platform. I don't think it is, and the decision is a risk. Just not such an obviously bad one that it has the potential to utterly destroy the company.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i can't believe i'm saying this, but i'd rather n1 ran the sprites through a 2xsai filter or something -- i don't usually like those filters, but the current look is just JARRING. i feel like i have selective cataracts when i look at that classroom screenshot

haowan

drohne said:
i can't believe i'm saying this, but i'd rather n1 ran the sprites through a 2xsai filter or something -- i don't usually like those filters, but the current look is just JARRING. i feel like i have selective cataracts when i look at that classroom screenshot

I wonder how it would look if they went with nearest neighbour on the current resolution sprites instead of filtering them.

ex0du5

Banned
Listen, with the ultra uncompetitive JRPG market on the PS3, this game will sell decently well. Think, if PS3 owners only have 2-3 JRPGs to buy, theres a good chance they might pick this up. If they go on the PS2, they're competing with several hundred JRPGs already released on the console.

It's a risk, but I don't think it's without it's merits. If they successfully pull it off, they will establish themselves to many who don't know about them as great JRPG makers...which could potentially prove benefitial in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom