• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 Game Informer Details

BlizzKrut

Banned
This all sounds really good, loving Emily's powers, Corvo's upgrades, the plot, can't wait to see more of the setting!

Still need to get the DLC and now I'm replaying the first one before the end of the year for sure.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
IdTech5 with modern graphic assets it seems an ass pain for weak cpu. Could not end well for console.
Why do people keep saying this? Doesn't Wolfenstein run on idTech5? It's one of the better optimized console games I've played...

Well, okay

I don't agree with you and I don't really appreciate your tone but whatever I can tell this conversation is not going to go anywhere

Part of the appeal of Dishonored is that you can play however you want.
...Yes. And part of that appeal is also how the way you choose to play leaves real consequences on the game world. It's ridiculous to think that if someone sneaked into a mansion and murdered everyone in there, the ramifications of these actions wouldn't be felt. It is, in fact, something that other games get made fun of for precisely this reason. Dishonored, along with Deus Ex, is one of the few games that attempt at showing you the consequences of your playstyle/actions on the game world. Does it do this perfectly? No, but you're asking the game to not do it at all which would make it a far weaker game to me so I hope they ignore opinions like yours.

If you want to play messy, you can play messy. There are plenty of other games that encourage different styles of play and don't punish you for playing a certain way. I don't think I should get a penalty for playing however I find the most fun. That's all I'm saying. And if you disagree, fine, but you could be a bit less shitty about it.
I don't see what the penalty is, really. You get a slightly different story and more enemies/rats, mostly, but if you play violently anyway that shouldn't be a problem since you can just annihilate them too. I know I didn't feel penalized whatsoever and I played High Chaos in both the main game and DLCs.

The first game was brilliant. I'm actually thinking of installing it again since I had to format to upgrade to Windows 10. Is there any mods worth installing ( in any) or should I just go vanilla?

Coffinhal

The release date announced already

Oh damn I don't know how i missed that, November 11 of this year.

I need to do the first one again before. Might do it on PC, the PS4 version I bought is not only 30fps but does not provide an original language version.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
licht-0051.gif

Id Tech 5 in 2016. Can you believe it? At least it should run well on consoles. Probably better than the Definitive Edition.

SillyJoe

I can't believe that I have only now come to realise that the playable woman character is Emily. That's really cool.

balgajo

My favorite "I don't expect nothing from this game" last gen. Saw it on a Steam promotion bought and loved it to death. Hyped to this one.

I hope they go more in depth on the whales. From what I remember, people treated them as these horrific, godlike monstrosities. Were they ever shown in the first game? All I remember is a dead one on a whaling ship at the beginning and a floating one in the void.

I hope they go more in depth on the whales. From what I remember, people treated them as these horrific, godlike monstrosities. Were they ever shown in the first game? All I remember is a dead one on a whaling ship at the beginning and a floating one in the void.

In the DLC you go into a
Whale Oil Factory
and there's all kinds of notes explaining things more in depth, it's also the only time you see one alive and it's kind of tragic.

It's actually kind of hinted that the physical body of
The Outsider
may be a whale.

Can't wait for this. Dishonored is one of my favourite games of the last few years, I absolutely loved exploring every last inch of those levels and finding secret routes, reading people's private letters, eavesdropping, and generally being a nuisance. Between Hitman, Deus Ex Mankind Divided and this, 2016 is going to be an amazing year for whatever you'd call this specific genre of games.

A-V-B

Can't wait for this. Dishonored is one of my favourite games of the last few years, I absolutely loved exploring every last inch of those levels and finding secret routes, reading people's private letters, eavesdropping, and generally being a nuisance. Between Hitman, Deus Ex Mankind Divided and this, 2016 is going to be an amazing year for whatever you'd call this specific genre of games.

I go wherever Harvey Smith goes, man.

KKRT00

Is Derrick01 back though?

---

I really hope it is VERY modified idtech 5. I hate this engine, but i hope they at least modified it to the degree that i can run it over 60 and we dont feel any input lag.
I dont care about graphics much in this game, though is always nice to have nice graphics in a game :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It doesn't use megatextures.

Is this clarified in the article or elsewhere?

Edit:
I really hope it is VERY modified idtech 5. I hate this engine, but i hope they at least modified it to the degree that i can run it over 60 and we dont feel any input lag.
I dont care about graphics much in this game, though is always nice to have nice graphics in a game :)

Doom PC doesn't have a framerate cap and id Tech 6 is itself a modified id Tech 5, so I'd say there's a good chance Arkane has made/will make the same change.

This is my most anticipated game of the decade. I have loved the original for so long, and played through it so many times. If this game looks as good (same art style, yessshhh!) and has similar play options (seems to be the case) I will guarantee you I will lose hours of my life in this. So awesome! Cannae wait!!!

Seriously, people, some of your complaints in this thread may be somewhat merited, but I'm deaf to all of them. I squeal in delight and anticipation!

I hope they also allow more bodies to be present by default. I like collecting unconscious guards in closets, having them disappear because they only allow 5 bodies to be present in a level by default is embarrassing.

Permanently A

Another of Emily's powers is Domino. You link up to four guards together, and then whatever happens to one guard, happens to the rest. For example, if you link four guards, and then lead one into a stun mine, all four are stunned.
This also works with Doppelganger, where you create a clone of yourself, then link it to the guards, and blow up your own clone.

Why do companies still do magazine exclusive reveals? Is Game Informer paying a pretty penny for this?

For many years, GI would get actual reveals. As in, the game would literally be announced for the first time in their magazine. Things have changed a lot over the past few years.

GI still gets a lot of info reveals but they almost never have brand new game announcements in their publication anymore.

Nessus

All of that sounds awesome and exactly what I want from a game called Dishonored 2. I guess I'll cave and buy the two DLCs for the first game separately on Steam for the same game as the GOTY bundle :-|

If you play them back to back the 2 DLCs are almost as long as the main game. Definitely worth it.

AJ_Wings

Corvo is voiced by Garrett from Thief because Harvey and Raf like Thief and this game has obviously ate its lunch.

LOL. This is awesome. Good to see Stephen Russell getting more roles nowadays.

ThatGuy

I think since most of Zenimax Studios use iD Tech it should be matured enough to have way better performance and tools since its debut with Rage.

Nessus

Looking forward to the voice acting in the game. I thought Dishonored had some great characters brought to life by some top talent (Susan Sarandon, Lena Headey, Michael Madsen, John Slattery, Chloë Grace Moretz... hell even Carrie Fisher is listed as "Alternative Street Speaker" lol)

Yeah, Carrie Fisher becomes the propaganda news reader if you kill the male reader during the mission in the palace.

I'm a little sad that they got a different voice actor for The Outsider, though. I really liked his performance; aloof and creepy, like an alien.

KKRT00

Doom PC doesn't have a framerate cap and id Tech 6 is itself a modified id Tech 5, so I'd say there's a good chance Arkane has made/will make the same change.

Doom is flagship title for ID and has Tiago Sousa behind and few other Crytek's guys.
I really hope You are right though :)

Btw I feel bad for Arkane. First they used Source, then Unreal 3 and now new IDTech ;p

Alexious

Is Derrick01 back though?

---

I've seen the article and the graphics are nice enough. Still worried about performance, though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Doom is flagship title for ID and has Tiago Sousa behind and few other Crytek's guys.
I really hope You are right though :)

Yeah, I know there's no cross-pollination of programming talent. I was just making the point that ripping out/increasing id Tech 5's framerate cap isn't an insurmountable goal even in the face of a deadline.

Sounds amazing. I might even get this at launch. I've played through the Dishonored three times, and can see myself doing the same with this one.

SomTervo

Corvo is voiced by Garrett from Thief because Harvey and Raf like Thief and this game has obviously ate its lunch.

Day one buy because of this.

However:

1. Shoehorning Corvo into being a character when he wasn't a really a character in the first place could backfire. Although it has worked, on occasion, like in Dead Space.

2. Features where a game lets you choose between one character or another, for the duration, (or play the one character with two different 'classes') rarely work, IMO.

The most egregious offenders were the Spider-man games with 'red' or 'black' suits - that NEVER worked. They barely made it happen in Web of Shadows. They should have forced us to either play Emily for the whole thing or Corvo for the whole thing - or give them the same abilities so it's just a story/character thing. The choice between will compromise the entire game, IMO. Unless we can swap between them after each mission - which even then isn't great.

It divides, fractures the gameplay experience.

3. I'm pretty stoked, though, honestly. These are my only qualms. The first game was very good. This game could be a masterpiece.

Sotha_Sil

The Witness, Dark Souls 3, Dishonored 2, Tyranny, and Deus Ex: HR makes this a great gaming year. 2016 might even beat 2015 for me, now.

Scanna

Sokolov was all I needed, but I am a little worried about the graphics and performance. I wanted this to set new standards! By the way, the structure of the levels then will remain pretty much unvaried right? It's not going to be open world, then?

Ramenman

So basically it's Dishonored but extended and bettered YET very much still its own thing and not lost to stupid trend-chasing ("guuh uh living breathing multisocial openworld herp derp"). It's perfect, thank you ! :D

Only thing I wonder about is the unlocking in trees. I really liked the freedom I had in purchasing powers in the first game, I hope whatever new system they have don't stupidly lock powers behind others in a way that makes no sense (other games show it's an easy thing to mess up about skill trees). But then again you could say that Dishonored 1's different levels of skills were like individual "branches" of a tree after all.

Top Bottom