• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disingenuous Discourse

Cashon

Banned
Apparently I've been banned from responding further in the Spider-Man 2 preview thread. No response given.

Despite saying multiple times that I liked the original, that Spider-Man 2 will likely be great, and that I will be playing it eventually, I've been accused (whether implicitly or explicitly) of having some sort of ulterior motive. One person even said I was "blatantly trolling."

That's pretty absurd and makes me assume that actual legitimate, critical discourse is discouraged on this forum. I assumed that Neogaf was better, from a censorship perspective, than ResetEra, but I guess it isn't. Kinda disheartening.

Shouldn't we, as enthusiasts, be open to discussing praise and criticism about games, regardless of the platform on which they're played? Do we really want this place to be an echo chamber, validating our own purchasing decisions and discouraging people from making us feel FOMO and Buyers Remorse? Shouldn't we want to engage in critical thought surrounding our hobby?

I imagine this will also be banned, and possibly lead to my own banning, but I'm okay with that if this site is only for disingenuous discourse. So, with that said, I'd like to finish my point that I couldn't in that thread:

My larger point was that when one says "This is Game of the Year," they are generally saying, "This is THE Game of the Year, based on majority critical consensus of major publications and sites." Otherwise if Steve from down the way says that Disney Illusion Island is his Game of the Year, we'd have to call it a Game of the Year.

With that in mind, my argument is that Spider-Man 2 will not be Game of the Year, based on majority critical consensus of major publications and sites.

I'm sure the game will be great, and I'll definitely be playing it eventually. Not Game of the Year though. I will bet $1.00 that the majority critical consensus from major publications/sites will be either Tears of the Kingdom or Baulder's Gate III.

Mossybrew

T5ENWf5.png

graywolf323

you were actively derailing the thread and had been repeatedly called out for it plus kept moving the goalposts for what you were claiming

the one who was making disingenuous discourse was you OP, it’s ironic that you were still oblivious to that to the point of making this thread that will likely just get you in even more trouble

Cashon

Banned
You never responded to fact that NMS is a generation ahead of Starfield in regards to exploration, after claiming that Spider-Man 2 gamedesign was from 2009.
I don't think I saw that response, but I've only played a little of No Man's Sky and even less of Starfield, so I can't speak to that specifically. I'm not sure what it has to do with my overall argument though.

Cashon

Banned
You had too many different arguments that contradicted each other one could say it was...disingenuous discourse
I don't think any of it was contradictory though. I do think the game will be good, I do not think it will be Game of the Year. I did feel that I had to continuously define, with greater and greater granularity, what Game of the Year means due to others being disingenuous (I hope) with their replies.

That's all logically consistent.

Top Bottom