• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney/Fox Acquisition Killed Two ‘Alien' Games In The Works Including Aliens: Hadley’s Hope & Another One With A Playable Adult Newt

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
EGP8b9R.jpg

Fredrick Schreiber from Slipgate Ironworks and 3D Realms (spotted by our pals at AVPGalaxy) mentioned on Twitter that his team had been working a co-op Aliens game called Aliens: Hadley’s Hope that was killed
He was responding to news the Boss Key Productions had been in talks with Fox to make an Aliens game of their own featuring a playable adult Newt before the merger ended that opportunity.

"SCHRIBER: “This is crazy… we were in the talk about the exact same thing. New Aliens FPS, taking place at Hadleys Hope (4-player coop). Almost went through. Happened right around the time at the Disney acquisition, and when that happened, it all fell to the ground.”

“Game was called Aliens: Hadleys Hope. We went quite far into pre-production before the Disney/Fox acquisition, and then we had to cancel it, and move on with something else.”"

Here’s a rundown of what Aliens: Hadley’s Hope would have looked like via Fredrick.

y0a3jls.png

nlYChSM.png

Here are some of the details about the other game from Boss Key via Cliff Bleszinski which sounds like it might have been connected to Neill Blomkamp’s Alien 5 or at least inspired by it. Blomkamp’s film would have introduced audiences to an adult Newt and hinted to wanting that character to take over the franchise from Sigourney Weaver’s Ripley.

The adult Newt game could have been awesome if they'd brought in some of the elements from the Dark Horse comics timeline she also survived in. The fall of Earth to the Aliens in those books was both excellently done and chilling.

Bummer Disney came in and killed both. They really do not know jow the hell to handle their properties when it comes to gaming these days.

sol_bad

The Tweet says "almost went through", so does that mean they nearly had their game approved for production? Why are they working on a licensed game without any contracts set up? Was it a proof of concept that they decided to work on themselves or were they asked to make a proof of concept?

If they were asked to make it, if there was no contract in place they should no have anticipated anything at all.

Caffeine

just make some damn good games lol idk why they are trying to multiplayer the fuck out of this franchise. its strength is horror which usually falls into isolation

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
The adult Newt game could have been awesome if they'd brought in some of the elements from the Dark Horse comics timeline she also survived in. The fall of Earth to the Aliens in those books was both excellently done and chilling.

Bummer Disney came in and killed both. They really do not know jow the hell to handle their properties when it comes to gaming these days.
Doesn't sound like Disney killed them (that would be very hard to do once you have the license), they simply were just trying to get the license and didn't manage to do so.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Eh that's fine to me. Alien: Isolation is exactly what I wanted from an Alien game--I prefer the horror side of the series over the action. I don't wanna shoot at xenos! They're the perfect specimen!

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Son of a bitch. Goddam it. Hell with Disney. Since they do not care about the franchise nor the Predator franchise, nor anything remotely geared toward adults (they just love them kiddies!...), let's create a global Kickstarter to raise funds in order to buy the IP's off of them then sell the IP's to a studio with competence. Surely Disney ruined the value of both by now so might be able to get them on the cheap.

qtblYrX.jpg

Last edited:

molasar

Banned
Since they do not care about the francise nor the Predator francise

Have you heard about Predator: Hunting Grounds? What about upcoming Aliens game from Cold Iron Studios?

I guess, the first thing you need to do is to prepare a successful game pitch (a pre-production stage) to acquire a license and funding. Anyways the acquisition process stopped those new investments for Fox. On the other hand P: HG got funding from Sony, so Fox right away made money on it. And there was another Predator game which was not picked up.

Also this:

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Have you heard about Predator: Hunting Grounds? What about upcoming Aliens game from Cold Iron Studios?

I guess, the first thing you need to do is to prepare a successful game pitch (a pre-production stage) to acquire a license and funding. Anyways the acquisition process stopped those new investments for Fox. On the other hand P: HG got funding from Sony, so Fox right away make a money on it. And there was another Predator game which was not picked up.

Also this:

Disney just doesn’t get games and unfortunately the toys to life business model crash convinced Disney that games weren’t worth the effort. Disney Infinity the game was good but they produced too many useless hunks of plastic which made the game unprofitable and led suits who never understood the game part to just exit game development altogether.

Those same suits are still there any VPs who gave a shit about games are not hence you get decisions like this.

Last edited:

molasar

Banned
Disney just doesn’t get games and unfortunately the toys to life business model crash convinced Disney that games weren’t worth the effort. Disney Infinity the game was good but they produced too many useless hunks of plastic.

That is why its big wigs sold its gaming division-FoxNext and sells licenses only from now on.

Last edited:

Solarstrike

Gold Member

I guess, the first thing you need to do is to prepare a successful game pitch (a pre-production stage) to acquire a license and funding. Anyways the acquisition process stopped those new investments for Fox. On the other hand P: HG got funding from Sony, so Fox right away make a money on it. And there was another Predator game which was not picked up.

Also this:

I just don't think Disney has any experience in the genre of gaming anymore. Let alone a mature oriented IP. Either the pitches were absolute shit or they didn't appease Disney's views. They USED to associate with making great games back in the 1990s. Not so much anymore.

The thing is, this just isn't about the Alien(s) and Predator(s) games. It's about the whole IP's in their entirety. They gave Ridley Scott carte blanche for the last few Aliens films, afraid to let other people with talent a chance at their view of what could be done. It's sad. Alien(s) is a massive story, spanning many years and worlds (according to Weyland/ Yutani). Imagine and open world Alien(s) game. Drop-ships, planets, machinery, troops to manage and bases to repair. The androids and their stories. Mysteries to uncover regarding the Engineers (the original Engineers not the horrid looking Ridley Scott Prometheus version). How about an decent Alien RTS game? That's long overdue.

Anyway, yeah i don't have too much confidence in Disney. How about an Alien or Predator themed park or hotel? The whole of both IPS need a kick in the rear end with new ideas, competent and creative people with a drive for making something cool, even better. It's why i don't invest in Disney. They are goofy (pun intended).

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

That is why its big wigs sold its gaming division-FoxNext and sells licenses only from now on.

Yep I actually worked at the Disney Interactive Studios at the time and it was fucking depressing to see the gaming division dismantled over the years. Big reason why I eventually left: Mikey’s great until he no longer requires your services ;)

molasar

Banned
I just don't think Disney has any experience in the genre of gaming anymore. Let alone a mature oriented IP. Either the pitches were absolute shit or they didn't appease Disney's views. They USED to associate with making great games back in the 1990s. Not so much anymore.

The thing is, this just isn't about the Alien(s) and Predator(s) games. It's about the whole IP's in their entirety. They gave Ridley Scott carte blanche for the last few Aliens films, afraid to let other people with talent a chance at their view of what could be done. It's sad. Alien(s) is a massive story, spanning many years and worlds (according to Weyland/ Yutani). Imagine and open world Alien(s) game. Drop-ships, planets, machinery, troops to manage and bases to repair. The androids and their stories. Mysteries to uncover regarding the Engineers (the original Engineers not the horrid looking Ridley Scott Prometheus version). How about an Alien RTS game? That's long overdue.

Anyway, yeah i don't have too much confidence in Disney. How about an Alien or Predator themed park or hotel? The whole of both IPS need a kick in the rear end with new ideas, competent and creative people with a drive for making something cool, even better. It's why i don't invest in Disney. They are goofy. (pun intended).

Yeah, their big business wigs are not artists. So it is good for us that they sell their IP licenses only from now on.

molasar

Banned
Yep I actually worked at the Disney Interactive Studios at the time and it was fucking depressing to see the gaming division dismantled over the years. Big reason why I eventually left: Mikey’s great until he no longer requires your services ;)

Yes, it is sad and causing so much disturbance in people's lives. However these things do not take talents away from those unfortunate former employees.

Last edited:

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Yeah, their big business wigs are not artists. So it is good for us that they sell their IP licenses only from now on.

Can only hope those who are tasked with the job to choose what gets created and by whom, are actually fans who know what they are doing. In that regard hopefully Creative Assembly was at the table because what they created with Alien Isolation was brilliant. For outside of the franchise's non-gaming related, I can say some of the stuff NECA has done (action figure/toy manufacturer) is kinda cool but some of it is absolute shit, such as the "colorful" Predator figures released a few years back. Just bad. It was like someone painted graffiti graphics on a '87 Buick GNX. One just does not do that.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Yes, it is sad and causing so much disturbance in people's lives. However these things do not take talents away from those unfortunate former employees.

Of course not. My point is that they got rid of a ton of talented people most of whom thankfully have landed on their feet at other studios. Disney’s loss...WB Interactive actually scooped up a bunch of them.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
No, it is not.

It has the tightest controls, best pacing, fantastic MP, and brilliant level design. It is better than the original gold variant and while Primal Hunt was fun, it still was only a small snippet of the base game with a few new ideas that didn't quite mesh well.

molasar

Banned
It has the tightest controls, best pacing, fantastic MP, and brilliant level design. It is better than the original gold variant and while Primal Hunt was fun, it still was only a small snippet of the base game with a few new ideas that didn't quite mesh well.

I know what it is as I played it when it was released and its expansion too. However Jaguar's AvP is the only one which left me very much impressed for its time in comparison to the other FPS AvPs. Also I prefer AvP 1999 than AvP2.

MiguelItUp

I know what it is as I played it when it was released and its expansion too. However Jaguar's AvP is the only one which left me very much impressed for its time in comparison to the other FPS AvPs. Also I prefer AvP 1999 than AvP2.
I didn't get too play nearly enough of AVP2 due to my PC at the time. But I DID play a butt ton of AVP 1999, and I definitely agree with this.

I also absolutely loved how you could destroy the lights in 1999, it created some really terrifying experiences. Not to mention the game just looked and felt darker to me as well, just preferred it for a variety of reasons across the board. But if you could combine 1999 and AVP2, I bet it would be incredible. :messenger_loudly_crying:

makaveli60

It's a shame, but Alien Isolation raised the bar so high that I don't think it's possible to make a better Alien game than that. It's the all time definitive Alien game.

molasar

Banned
It's a shame, but Alien Isolation raised the bar so high that I don't think it's possible to make a better Alien game than that. It's the all time definitive Alien game.

Huh? Who does dictate it? I prefer Alien Trilogy (PS1 port) if we talk about games without Predators in them. IMO if the game wants to be a cinematic experience then it should be better than movies themselves.

makaveli60

Who does dictate which Alien game is the all time definitive Alien game?
I get that you prefer Alien Trilogy but if you try to look at it with an objective eye you can't deny that Alien Isolation is the game that really captures the essence of the first film. There is not even point comparing the two, one is over 20 years old while the other is 6.

molasar

Banned
I get that you prefer Alien Trilogy but if you try to look at it with an objective eye you can't deny that Alien Isolation is the game that really captures the essence of the first film. There is not even point comparing the two, one is over 20 years old while the other is 6.

Two different type of games, two different type of experiences. Yes, it captures a mood of Alien 1979 but I personally look for a good gameplay system first and foremost when it comes to video games. Then proper aesthetics and audio for it. Alien Isolation has failed me in doing so as it competes more with my free time for movies than video games.

Also we should have two categories the best Alien game from human character perspective and another one from Alien perspective.

Last edited:

makaveli60

Two different type of games, two different type of experiences. Yes, it captures a mood of Alien 1979 but I personally look for a good gameplay system first and foremost when it comes to video games. Then proper aesthetics and audio for it. Alien Isolation has failed me in doing so as it competes more with my free time for movies than video games.
You can't possibly say that Alien Trilogy has deeper gameplay systems than Alien Isolation. It's one thing to dislike it but as I said if you look at them objectively you just can't even compare them.

molasar

Banned
You can't possibly say that Alien Trilogy has deeper gameplay systems than Alien Isolation. It's one thing to dislike it but as I said if you look at them objectively you just can't even compare them.

I am not talking about gameplay depth but a pleasure received from it. More depth is not always better. There is a lot of people who like Alien Isolation audio-visuals but they are not interested in its gameplay system. It was reflected in its sales numbers.

Last edited:

makaveli60

I am not talking about gameplay depth but a pleasure received from it. More depth is not always better. There is a lot of people who like Alien Isolation audio-visuals but they are not interested in its gameplay system. It was reflected in its sales numbers.
So I suppose you would rather want a shooter but Alien was not about shooting Aliens so I don't get your problem with my original post. I said the definitive Alien game and not Aliens.
And about the sales... the game came after the atrocious Colonial Marines game and AvP2010 (which was not that bad, especially the Marine campaign) so people were dissappointed and skeptic which was not helped by those so called journalist bitches like the IGN reviewer.

molasar

Banned
So I suppose you would rather want a shooter but Alien was not about shooting Aliens so I don't get your problem with my original post. I said the definitive Alien game and not Aliens.
And about the sales... the game came after the atrocious Colonial Marines game and AvP2010 (which was not that bad, especially the Marine campaign) so people were dissappointed and skeptic which was not helped by those so called journalist bitches like the IGN reviewer.

Now I get what you mean that you consider Alien Isolation as an ultimate Alien 1979 video gaming experience but I do not think that the movie is a good material for a video game in comparison to Aliens 1986. That stuff you wrote about the sales is just a speculation. And I do not like gameplay systems in A: CM and AvP2010 but it did not affect me looking forward to new great Alien franchise (all Alien movies) games.

Last edited:

makaveli60

Now I get what you mean that you consider Alien Isolation as an ultimate Alien 1979 video gaming experience but I do not think that the movie is a good material for a video game in comparison to Aliens 1986. That stuff you wrote about the sales is just a speculation. And I do not like gameplay systems in A: CM and AvP2010 but it did not affect me looking forward to new great Alien franchise games.
But this is just a matter of preference. Some like this kinda game some like shooters more. But the point is that you get my original post now.
The fact that these things didn't affect you doesn't mean that it didn't do other people either. A lot of people haven't bought the game because of these reasons. Just go back reading comments from the time or the numerous LTTP threads about Isolation.

Last edited:

molasar

Banned
But this is just a matter of preference. Some like this kinda game some like shooters more. But the point is that you get my original post now.
The fact that these things didn't affect you doesn't mean that it didn't do other people either. A lot of people haven't bought the game because of these reasons. Just go back reading comments from the time or the numerous LTTP threads about Isolation.

Of course it is a preference. And I like Jaguar's AvP from Marine perspective more than Alien Trilogy, and if you played it then you know it is not just a shooter.

I do not have time to read LTTP threads about Isolation for obvious reasons but no one made a proper study over this. So it is just a speculation for me. Also I do not remember people being generally excited about its gameplay when it was released.

makaveli60

Of course it is a preference. And I like Jaguar's AvP from Marine perspective more than Alien Trilogy, and if you played it then you know it is not just a shooter.

I do not have time to read LTTP threads about Isolation for obvious reasons but no one made a proper study over this. So it is just a speculation for me. Also I do not remember people being generally excited about its gameplay when it was released.
Sorry mate, but you can't just say speculation for something that has evidence just because you don't have the time to read about :D

molasar

Banned
Sorry mate, but you can't just say speculation for something that has evidence just because you don't have the time to read about :D

Sorry mate, but you can't just say it is a fact for something that is based on a bunch of anecdotes because no proper study was made for it. :D

Last edited:

makaveli60

Sorry mate, but you can't just say it is a fact for something that is based on a bunch of anecdotes because no proper study was made for it. :D
I almost started to think that you are somewhat reasonable but I see there is no use continuing the discussion with you. Good night!

Top Bottom