• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity play set missed opportunities

Malyse

Let's start with the big ones:
  • Frozen
  • Zootopia
  • Big Hero 6

The first two seems completely obvious now: one of the biggest animated films ever and Disney Animation's biggest opening ever. While I think a BH6 play set (and figures for the rest of the team) would be great, I still hold out hope for a tie in play set for the TV show. And even if it doesn't, we'll always have Kingdom Hearts 3.

I think that they would have been well served with a Disney Princess play set. It would help alleviate the female character problem as well as drawn in another buying demographic. Disney Princess is one of the major sources of income for Disney as well, so while the 1.0 Crystal figures flopped, I think variant Princesses would do very well. They could even base it around Princess Academy

What else do you think is so big that it should have gotten a play set?

------

Conversely, for those of you that don't play Disney Infinity, is there any IP that would seriously make you want to buy at least figures if not the game itself?

RK128

It was rumored that a Big Hero 6 playset was going to appear in 2.0 but it was scrapped in favor for the Guardians of the Galaxy one

Zalman

Definitely Frozen. It should clearly have gotten a play set, and I think they're kicking themselves for it now.

I own about 10 Disney Infinity figures, but I'm generally disappointed in what IP they focus on. I'm a huge Disney fan - the key word here is "Disney". I don't really care about Marvel and Star Wars enough to buy their figures. I would like to see a DuckTales play set for next year when the new show launches. That would satisfy my Classic Disney needs.

shingi70

Banned
Disney Infinity is probably the biggest disappointment of the toys to life games. Honestly every major film release should have a Playset, even if they're made far in advance.

Blues1990

Definitely Frozen. It should clearly have gotten a play set, and I think they're kicking themselves for it now.

I own about 10 Disney Infinity figures, but I'm generally disappointed in what IP they focus on. I'm a huge Disney fan - the key word here is "Disney". I don't really care about Marvel and Star Wars enough to buy their figures. I would like to see a DuckTales play set for next year when the new show launches. That would satisfy my Classic Disney needs.

Same, as I want a Scrooge McDuck & Launchpad McQuack DI figurines.

Kitoro

Even if they all got Play Sets, they'd likely all have the same sterile sandbox design with the same tired elements. I hate Disney Infinity for essentially killing off Movie Games for Disney films, because even though most of them weren't good, some were indeed enjoyable, and there was much more to them than most Play Sets.

We need to get John Vignocchi on the phone.
But seriously, I think they need to add more franchises in the game. I think, as of right now, they're doing a pretty good job with the game. It could be better, but I think people are enjoying it.

Neoxon

No Maximoff Twins for Marvel Battlegrounds is also a huge missed opportunity, they could have easily been bundled with the playset. But nope, it came with another version of Cap.

oti

Banned
I just hope super heroes and star wars will slow down at some point. I want some old Disney in there. Hercules, Aladdin, Pocahontas playsets I don't know, the old stuff. They could also be all in one "Classics" playset or whatever. I'm not one of those "Disney used to be better in the old days" guy, Rapunzel and Frozen are both effin amazing and they should get playsets too (Rapunzel is getting a TV show and Frozen 2 is a thing so there's still a chance). I just don't really care about Star Wars and suzper heroes that much.

RK128

In the same boat man :l.

When Infinity was announced, I was so hyped to hopefully see the 80's and 90's era Disney stars appear alongside Mickey and his friends :D.

But we only got ONE classic character.....and its only a variation of Mickey :l.

I will say that 2.0 and 3.0 are a bit better with this, but still, disappointing to someone who grew up with Lion King as his very first Disney film. I would of loved for Oswald, Pete, Goofy, Daisy, Pluto and other classic Mickey characters appeared in Infinity.

jwk94

No Maximoff Twins for Marvel Battlegrounds is also a huge missed opportunity, they could have easily been bundled with the playset. But nope, it came with another version of Cap.

Why would they bundle the twins if it's being used to promote the movie?

Blues1990

I just hope super heroes and star wars will slow down at some point. I want some old Disney in there. Hercules, Aladdin, Pocahontas playsets I don't know, the old stuff. They could also be all in one "Classics" playset or whatever. I'm not one of those "Disney used to be better in the old days" guy, Rapunzel and Frozen are both effin amazing and they should get playsets too (Rapunzel is getting a TV show and Frozen 2 is a thing so there's still a chance). I just don't really care about Star Wars and suzper heroes that much.

I feel the same, despite how much love had went into the Star Wars figurine line.

Give me Dipper & Mabel, Wander, Ursula, Scrooge McDuck, Oswald The Lucky Rabbit, Darkwing Duck, Captain Nemo, or even Monterey Jack in place of yet another variant of Captain America

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I would love to see a couple of more figures from the Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck lines. Would love a Scrooge McDuck.

They missed a chance to not ruin the plant with more plastic crap which nobody will want in 5 months time by existing
Thanks for your post.

WatTsu

Let's start with the big ones:
  • Frozen
  • Zootopia
  • Big Hero 6

The first two seems completely obvious now: one of the biggest animated films ever and Disney Animation's biggest opening ever. While I think a BH6 play set (and figures for the rest of the team) would be great, I still hold out hope for a tie in play set for the TV show. And even if it doesn't, we'll always have Kingdom Hearts 3.

I think that they would have been well served with a Disney Princess play set. It would help alleviate the female character problem as well as drawn in another buying demographic. Disney Princess is one of the major sources of income for Disney as well, so while the 1.0 Crystal figures flopped, I think variant Princesses would do very well. They could even base it around Princess Academy

------

Conversely, for those of you that don't play Disney Infinity, is there any IP that would seriously make you want to buy at least figures if not the game itself?

First game came out before Frozen did and so they were not prepared for Frozen to be the smash hit it became (see also why Frozen merch of any sort was so hard to come by for a good year or so - they were completely unable to meet demand). So that (and the overall "boy"-oriented nature of 1.0 and to be honest a lot of the game so far) is why there's no Frozen set.

Now if you want to ask why there hasn't been one made since, that's a very good question. My guess is twofold: 1) they wanted to focus on launching the Marvel and Star Wars pillars and 2) DI is heavily driven by cross-promotion, so they wanted to focus on characters and playsets from current movies and shows. Basically, when Frozen 2 comes out there's going to be a playset if Infinity is still a thing by then. Count on it.

We need a John Vignocchi play set.

Someone already made a Johnny V figure.
Photo-May-03-4-22-55-AM.jpg

PSqueak

Banned
Im definitely sad about Zootopia not having one, but im guessing after Lone Ranger flopped hard (since it had a playset) they decided to be more careful about playsets.

Still hoping we get something in the future.

Also, kinda related, it irks me that even tho they're part of the 2.0 line, none of the BH6 are compatible with any marvel stuff, not even the upcoming Battlegrounds.

Why would they bundle the twins if it's being used to promote the movie?

Traditionally, since 2.0, playsets come with one male and one female figure (Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, all 3 of the Star wars play sets, Inside out), Battlegrounds coming with the maximoffs would have made sense.

Weirder even, Battlegrounds is the first playset to only come with ONE figure and it's EVEN weirder when the big thing they're pushing is 4 players local play.

RoyalFool

Banned
I'd give my left nut for an Oswald the lucky rabbit figure.

I'd also love more stuff based on the Disneyland park itself, Roger rabbit, Brer Rabbit, Hat box ghost etc. But I know that's probably too obscure to warrant making.

PSqueak

Banned
Another thing, i hope when KH3 comes out a KH playset or boosetr pack becomes available with Sora and the limited edition Keyblade mickey they gave at that special event.

Malyse

First game came out before Frozen did and so they were not prepared for Frozen to be the smash hit it became (see also why Frozen merch of any sort was so hard to come by for a good year or so - they were completely unable to meet demand). So that (and the overall "boy"-oriented nature of 1.0 and to be honest a lot of the game so far) is why there's no Frozen set.

Now if you want to ask why there hasn't been one made since, that's a very good question. My guess is twofold: 1) they wanted to focus on launching the Marvel and Star Wars pillars and 2) DI is heavily driven by cross-promotion, so they wanted to focus on characters and playsets from current movies and shows. Basically, when Frozen 2 comes out there's going to be a playset if Infinity is still a thing by then. Count on it.
They could have hit the Frozen DVD release date. Or Frozen Fever.
Another thing, i hope when KH3 comes out a KH playset or boosetr pack becomes available with Sora and the limited edition Keyblade mickey they gave at that special event.

KH should be 4.0. Precedent is that the ultimate unlock teases a future addition. Lightsaber in 1.0, Star Wars two years later in 3.0. Keyblade in 3.0, Kingdom Hearts two years later in 4.0. You'll never get the King Mickey power disc, but you'll get a King Mickey figure. Every new version of Infinity has a Mickey Figure.

Black Cauldron playset!

I want Brave Little Toaster, Mighty Ducks and Cool Runnings figures.

I feel the same, despite how much love had went into the Star Wars figurine line.

Give me Dipper & Mabel, Wander, Ursula, Scrooge McDuck, Oswald The Lucky Rabbit, Darkwing Duck, Captain Nemo, or even Monterey Jack in place of yet another variant of Captain America

Big IP. BIG. I mean, I want Captain EO, but it's not in the OP cause it's not a big thing.

curb

Banned
KH should be 4.0. Precedent is that the ultimate unlock teases a future addition. Lightsaber in 1.0, Star Wars two years later in 3.0. Keyblade in 3.0, Kingdom Hearts two years later in 4.0. You'll never get the King Mickey power disc, but you'll get a King Mickey figure. Every new version of Infinity has a Mickey Figure.

It won't be though. Kingdom Hearts is just a drop in the bucket compared to the DI pillars (Disney proper, Pixar, Star Wars and Marvel). The lightsaber and landspeeder led to Star Wars in Infinity not because of some special Disney Infinity pattern but because it's freakin' Star Wars. KH is niche by comparison.

Malyse

It won't be though. Kingdom Hearts is just a drop in the bucket compared to the DI pillars (Disney proper, Pixar, Star Wars and Marvel). The lightsaber and landspeeder led to Star Wars in Infinity not because of some special Disney Infinity pattern but because it's freakin' Star Wars. KH is niche by comparison.
Never say never.

Blame the fact that 2.0 is literally just an advertisement for Marvel properties. 3 play sets, all Marvel. With 3.0 at least they are sticking with it instead of moving on to 4.0.

I would love a playset that actually let you use Disney characters in it. For that reason the toybox takeover was an absolutely necessary upgrade and frankly should have been part of the base 3.0 game.

More to the point: Did anybody really want 90% of the Star Wars Rebels cast? Those things are shelf poison.

Yukinari

The Toybox UI is a nightmare. The selling point of the game is super unintuitive to their audience.

Can you even share what you make now? That was a huge turn off for the original game and the creation tools havent improved since then from what ive seen.

fernoca

Infinity per se had a few problems that affected some of the playsets that now make sense:

-Frozen, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia each made it to theaters around each launch (1.0, 2.0 and 3.0) the problem is that they didn't anticipated any of them to perform as well as they did (or in the case of Frozen too well). And by the time the movies were performing as well, the teams were already working on the "next thing".

But there lies the other problem, the sales of the figures are good in overall revenue but the games haven't performed as well as they hoped. 3.0 did performed well but mostly the Star Wars side of it.

Most of the top selling figures are still from 1.0 with Mike Wazowski been the #1 seller.

So is a combination of timing and overall sales. If they focus on expanding 3.0 and continue with DLC they should be ready to coincide with the movies more. Like the upcoming Finding Dory.

The lack of a 'Mickey & Friends' set of some sort is really weird to me. It just seems like something that should have been in 1.0 and the longer we go without seeing it, the stranger it becomes.

We've got Mickey(x2), Minnie, and Donald figures, but if there was a full playset I imagine we'd probably have Goofy, Pluto, and maybe even Pete as well. If we want to get crazy I'd say also Chip&Dale (as one figure) and Oswald the Lucky Rabbit.

Have it be a cute kid-friendly platformer in the vein of the Inside Out playset with some inspiration from the classic Mickey Mouse platformers of the SNES/Genesis era. Pete's your easy pick for an antagonist but you want him as a playable figure too, like what the Marvel and Star Wars sets do with their villains.

I also think they're probably still kicking themselves for not making a Frozen playset in 1.0, as evidenced by 3.0 getting Olaf.

Other than that I'm honestly surprised they did an Aladdin/Jasmine 2pack without giving it a playset and solo figures for Genie and Jaffar. Aladdin flows so well as a video game story and it's one of the most memorable Disney films they've ever made.

Big Hero 6 was a perfect choice for a playset and a lot of fun playable figures with cool abilities that fit the 2.0 Superhero theme without being explicitly Marvel-branded stuff (yeah they're Marvel owned but it's a Disney IP for now). I don't know how that got ignored.

And of course Lion King is a big omission but they haven't gotten quadrupedal characters working yet so that's probably planned for somewhere down the line.

Shang

Gravity Falls is a bit disappointing. The show got very popular during DI's initial run, and Mabel even won that figure poll iirc, but now Gravity Falls is over, so I guess the time has passed.

Certinty

Very confusing choices in all honesty.

With Big Hero 6 and Frozen getting sequels of some sort then I suppose at least they can create them then. Shame about Zootopia though.

mreddie

Big Hero 6 was in 2.0 but scrapped likely for the Marvel Playsets
Frozen, Disney was hush hush about it so they used concept art instead and only redid the figures to match their movie design around the first trailer release.
Zootopia I feel similar to Frozen, Disney didn't expect much but they're do expect more from the rumored Dory playset in the plans.

With Marvel Battlegrounds, I feel there should be at least a Disney counterpart/Star Wars counterpart, the TOy Box Adventures doesn't cut it.

SpotAnime

The Three Caballeros would be pretty cool. A Silly Symphonies set would be really awesome to play with as well.

How about a musical Fantasia set that would allow folks to create rhythm / musical scenarios in the game. Not just a Sorcerer's Apprentice set, but different construction or platforming elements in the style of the composers Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Bach, and the like. Imagine playing Night on Bald Mountain!

I know we'll never see it, but Song of the South. Zootopia felt like that's Disney's replacement for Brer Rabbit, Brer Bear and Brer Fox, so as long as they gave us Bunny Borough I'd be good.

I'd also like to see something relating to the parks, like an Adventureland set, Liberty Square, Tomorrowland, etc. Going through The Haunted Mansion or creating a minecart set in the vein of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad would be great.

But mostly, why no Muppets? That hurts the most.

Big Hero 6 was in 2.0 but scrapped likely for the Marvel Playsets
Frozen, Disney was hush hush about it so they used concept art instead and only redid the figures to match their movie design around the first trailer release.
Zootopia I feel similar to Frozen, Disney didn't expect much but they're do expect more from the rumored Dory playset in the plans.

With Marvel Battlegrounds, I feel there should be at least a Disney counterpart/Star Wars counterpart, the TOy Box Adventures doesn't cut it.

I have a feeling we're going to see an all-properties counterpart for Battlegrounds as a core component of the next Disney Infinity iteration. Battlegrounds feels so good and is so polished, I can't imagine they won't have that development team revisit the concept in the future.

Neoxon

Even barring the Netflix heroes, there's still...
  • Quicksilver
  • Scarlet Witch
  • War Machine
  • Coulson
  • Quake
  • Mockingbird
  • Wasp
  • USM White Tiger
  • USM Luke Cage
  • Captain Marvel
  • Ms. Marvel
  • Mantis
  • Nebula
  • Black Bolt
  • Medusa
....& a few others Marvel characters that Disney Infinity can do.

Malyse

The Three Caballeros would be pretty cool. A Silly Symphonies set would be really awesome to play with as well.

How about a musical Fantasia set that would allow folks to create rhythm / musical scenarios in the game. Not just a Sorcerer's Apprentice set, but different construction or platforming elements in the style of the composers Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Bach, and the like. Imagine playing Night on Bald Mountain!

I know we'll never see it, but Song of the South. Zootopia felt like that's Disney's replacement for Brer Rabbit, Brer Bear and Brer Fox, so as long as they gave us Bunny Borough I'd be good.

I'd also like to see something relating to the parks, like an Adventureland set, Liberty Square, Tomorrowland, etc. Going through The Haunted Mansion or creating a minecart set in the vein of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad would be great.

But mostly, why no Muppets? That hurts the most.

Even barring the Netflix heroes, there's still...
  • Quicksilver
  • Scarlet Witch
  • War Machine
  • Coulson
  • Quake
  • Mockingbird
  • Wasp
  • USM White Tiger
  • USM Luke Cage
  • Captain Marvel
  • Ms. Marvel
  • Mantis
  • Nebula
  • Black Bolt
  • Medusa
....& a few others Marvel characters that Disney Infinity can do.

Most of those aren't big enough to warrant a play set though. Granted, the Marvel characters that haven't shown up on screen still have a shot, but out of these two posts, I think the only one that warrants a play set is the Muppets. It's super weird that didn't happen. You'll get a Tron playset before you see more than Power Discs from Tomorrowland.

Gravity Falls is a bit disappointing. The show got very popular during DI's initial run, and Mabel even won that figure poll iirc, but now Gravity Falls is over, so I guess the time has passed.

Phineus and Ferb got in so I wouldn't worry yet.

The lack of a 'Mickey & Friends' set of some sort is really weird to me. It just seems like something that should have been in 1.0 and the longer we go without seeing it, the stranger it becomes.

We've got Mickey(x2), Minnie, and Donald figures, but if there was a full playset I imagine we'd probably have Goofy, Pluto, and maybe even Pete as well. If we want to get crazy I'd say also Chip&Dale (as one figure) and Oswald the Lucky Rabbit.

Have it be a cute kid-friendly platformer in the vein of the Inside Out playset with some inspiration from the classic Mickey Mouse platformers of the SNES/Genesis era. Pete's your easy pick for an antagonist but you want him as a playable figure too, like what the Marvel and Star Wars sets do with their villains.

I also think they're probably still kicking themselves for not making a Frozen playset in 1.0, as evidenced by 3.0 getting Olaf.

Other than that I'm honestly surprised they did an Aladdin/Jasmine 2pack without giving it a playset and solo figures for Genie and Jaffar. Aladdin flows so well as a video game story and it's one of the most memorable Disney films they've ever made.

Big Hero 6 was a perfect choice for a playset and a lot of fun playable figures with cool abilities that fit the 2.0 Superhero theme without being explicitly Marvel-branded stuff (yeah they're Marvel owned but it's a Disney IP for now). I don't know how that got ignored.

And of course Lion King is a big omission but they haven't gotten quadrupedal characters working yet so that's probably planned for somewhere down the line.

toyladdin_by_artsammich-d97ye47.jpg

When I saw this, I asked the artist (who works on infinity) where my Aladdin play set was. He wrote back:
If it were up to me, you'd already have it. But playsets are a huge amount of work (and a huge gamble, money-wise), so aside from the first few from Infinity 1, they have been attempting to only do playsets that are coming out with some big release or currently hot property. Some day when they run out of current stuff to do, maybe.

I'm guessing they got burned pretty bad with The Lone Ranger.

Very confusing choices in all honesty.

With Big Hero 6 and Frozen getting sequels of some sort then I suppose at least they can create them then. Shame about Zootopia though.

Because Zootopia is a mystery story, they can make infinite sequels. I'm honestly surprised it's taking this long to announce a sequel, though with Tangled, Big Hero 6, and The Lion Guard, they might be looking more at TV. Gennifer Goodwin and Jason Bateman are more known for TV work, so it's not like it would be a step down for either one. All that to say: I expect a Zootopia playset for the sequel.

I wish they would try to hit the home video releases for the synergy concept. It makes more sense: pick up the DVD and while you're at it, buy the Infinity play set. Fuck it: make a movie/play set bundle.

When Infinity was 1st announced my friends and I wondered if Disney would fuck up and make a Song of the South playset. We were ready to jump on that lawsuit

Top Bottom