• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney+ offers trigger warnings for offended millennials

Kagey K

Banned
If you truly believe such a fantasy land could possibly exist....
My son is only 11 and I let him watch WW2 propaganda films from Disney and Looney Toons. I explained to him what was going on, as we watched them.

Does that make me a bad dad?

This will only make them the enemy of ResetEra for merely mentioning that the fact that they would be offended...by being offended that they wish to profit off of Nazi Animators instead of burning those Cartoons and #Cancelling them.

VulcanRaven

What is the problem with this? I can't understand why someone would see this as a bad thing. Its a good thing that they include warning if the old show includes something racist. Many DVDs that have old cartoons have warning like this. Kids might not know when the cartoon was made.

Last edited:

Quasicat

Good! Now there is no excuse to bring back Song of the South the original, uncensored Fantasia with the black horse or even the Original 3 Pigs with the wolf as a Jewish peddler.

I have the Disney at War tin DVD set and love how they got Leonard Maltin to give context to the videos before they played.

For any grotesque and horrifying scene, they should sow it in it's entirety and then put an image up on screen after the scene that says "TRIGGER WARNING. Oh whoops! We put the warning on screen AFTER the intended scene. Ha ha holy shit. That's my bad nigga."

plz no ban mods. Was only to add a bit of worded shock humor towards the end. Zero racism intended. Plz no kill me. Have mercy."

Grinchy

Banned
We're not far off from them having a warning before any movie with a princess to apologize for the unrealistic beauty standard.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
My son is only 11 and I let him watch WW2 propaganda films from Disney and Looney Toons. I explained to him what was going on, as we watched them.

Does that make me a bad dad?
So you understand that someone might want to be there to explain the content, but you object to a small piece of text in a description letting you know that there is something in there that might need to be explained?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Kids ages 1 -12. No issue
Teens aged 13-17. No issue
Adults aged 30-99. No issue

So-called adults aged 18-29. Anyone know what's Disney's Complaint Hotline Number?

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
So you understand that someone might want to be there to explain the content, but you object to a small piece of text in a description letting you know that there is something in there that might need to be explained?
I object to it? That’s news to me.

I‘d prefer they keep the content warnings and keep the content intact, then have them butcher the content to fit today’s age. It seems even with the warnings they still feel the need to edit some stuff out, like that Fantasia scene shown above.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
PLEASE DONATE said:
The Pew Research Center defines millennials as born from 1981 to 1996, choosing these dates for "key political, economic and social factors", including the September 11th terrorist attacks, the Great Recession, and the Internet explosion.[25] Jonathan Rauch, senior fellow at the Brookings Institution, wrote for The Economist in 2018 that "generations are squishy concepts", but the 1981 to 1996 birth cohort is a "widely accepted" definition for millennials,[26] with many major media outlets having cited Pew's definition including Time magazine,[27] The Washington Post,[28] Reuters,[29] Business Insider,[30] The New York Times,[31] and The Wall Street Journal.[32] Pew Research Center has observed that "ecause generations are analytical constructs, it takes time for popular and expert consensus to develop as to the precise boundaries that demarcate one generation from another"[33][34] and has indicated that they would remain open to date re-calibration.[25] According to this definition, the oldest millennial is 38 years old and the youngest is, or is turning, 23 years old in 2019.

BUT BRAP YOU ARE A MILLENNIAL STOP THIS

PanzerAzel

I’m immensely grateful I grew up in a time when shows like In Living Color and films like Airplane were allowed. I treasure them, and mourn the loss of future media like them to the current woke SJW lunacy constantly permeating our culture.

We can’t even laugh at each other anymore. People need to seriously start taking responsibility for their own fucking feelings. This is getting beyond absurd.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

Leaving everything normally because anybody over the age of 12 knows something from a different time might have something that might be offensive?
Kids might not know when some cartoon was made. I didn't know that many of the Donald Duck cartoons I watched as a kid were from the 1940s. I found about it later.

Last edited:

C4lukin2

Banned
I have no problem with it.

They give warnings that certain films include tobacco usage, alcohol, or out of date stereotypes.

A funny thing, the original Dumbo which includes all three is totally available.

I prefer Dumbo with a ten second warning then no Dumbo at all.

I wish they would do the same for Song of the South, but I understand.

Lanrutcon

Speaking of media from a different age, I recently marathoned all the James Bond movies.

Some of the old ones are a little bit...uh...let's just say times have changed, and so have workplace policies.

Double-oh-another-letter-from-HR, amirite?

v1oz

Didn't the Mexicans say they have no problem with Speedy Gonzales? I seem to remember reading that the character is even popular in Mexico.

Shifty

So does it actually use the words 'trigger warning', or is it some dry disclaimer?

Because if it's the former then zoom zoom motherfuckers I am far too old and grumpy for this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom