• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney+ offers trigger warnings for offended millennials

brap

Banned
I'm glad Disney®™© is here to let us know that some things that were considered ok back then aren't ok now!! I, for one, had no such old films might have unsavory content in them!!

Disney’s new streaming service warns fans that they may encounter “outdated cultural depictions” while watching some of its older content.

After its launch on Tuesday, Disney+ users noticed that some of the company's classic content such as “Dumbo” (1941), The Aristocats (1970), “The Jungle Book” (1967) and the original “Lady and the Tramp” (1955) all contain a warning at the end of their respective descriptions. These warnings caution sensitive fans that what they are about to watch contains racial portrayals that might be triggering.

As IGN notes, “Dumbo” has been criticized in the past for depicting two wise-cracking crows that speak in stereotypical African-American voices, played by a white actor. “The Jungle Book” suffers from the same issue with some of its characters, particularly a group of monkeys, being portrayed with negative, dated African and African-American characteristics. Meanwhile, “Lady and the Tramp” features the infamous “We Are Siamese” song performed by two cats speaking in stereotypical Asian accents, drawn with large buck teeth.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Children are a variety of ages and are easily led. Don't be so naive.

As IGN notes, “Dumbo” has been criticized in the past for depicting two wise-cracking crows that speak in stereotypical African-American voices, played by a white actor. “The Jungle Book” suffers from the same issue with some of its characters, particularly a group of monkeys, being portrayed with negative, dated African and African-American characteristics. Meanwhile, “Lady and the Tramp” features the infamous “We Are Siamese” song performed by two cats speaking in stereotypical Asian accents, drawn with large buck teeth.

Sounds like they might develop dangerous characteristics like a sense of humor, the belief that black people can do voice acting for any animal they please, and teasing based on exaggerated stereotypes.

You should ask your wife’s boyfriend if you can watch too; might do you a favor.

sol_bad

If you want to talk about culturally offensive ... things and Dumbo.
I personally can't believe people are offended by white people voicing the crows. I mean anyone can voice anything as long as they are good at it.
The more insensitive thing about Dumbo are the black roustabouts that help build the tent. Singing about working until nearly dead. LMAO

Mt wife and I laughed because we never realised it when we were kids.

*EDIT*
Changed the Dumbo song so that it had subtitles.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
If you want to talk about culturally offensive ... things and Dumbo.
I personally can't believe people are offended by white people voicing the crows. I mean anyone can voice anything as long as they are good at it.
The more insensitive thing about Dumbo are the black roustabouts that help build the tent. Singing about working until nearly dead. LMAO

Mt wife and I laughed because we never realised it when we were kids.

*EDIT*
Changed the Dumbo song so that it had subtitles.

Lyrics:

Hike! Ugh! Hike! Ugh! Hike! Ugh! Hike!
We work all day, we work all night
We never learned to read or write
We're happy-hearted roustabouts

When other folks have gone to bed
We slave until we're almost dead
We're happy-hearted roustabouts

We don't know when we get our pay
And when we do, we throw our pay away
(When we get our pay, we throw our money all away)
We get our pay when children say
With happy hearts, "It's circus day today"
(Then we get our pay, just watching kids on circus day)

Muscles achin'
Back near breaking
Eggs and bacon what we need (Yes, sir!)
Boss man houndin'
Keep on poundin'
For your bed and feed
There ain't no let up
Must get set up
Pull that canvas! Drive that stake!
Want to doze off
Get them clothes off
But must keep awake
Hep! Heave! Hep! Heave! Hep! Heave!
Hep! Heave! Hep! Heave! Hep! Heave!
Hep! Heave! Hep!

Swing that sledge! Sing that song!
Work and laugh the whole night long
You happy-hearted roustabouts!
Pullin', poundin', tryin', groundin'
Big top roundin' into shape
Keep on working!
Stop that shirking!
Grab that rope, you hairy ape!
Poundin'! poundin'! poundin'! poundin'!
Oh...
[\quote]

There’s nothing in there that couldn’t be applied to a white man. It seems to be a lower class labor song. Racism brain, courtesy of Clownworld, and I must admit, I hesitated too, is a hell of a drug.

Last edited:

Sybb

Banned
I'm glad Disney®™© is here to let us know that some things that were considered ok back then aren't ok now!! I, for one, had no such old films might have unsavory content in them!!

I remember a time where blacks and whites alike could laugh at these jokes together. When not everything in a cartoon was seen as a political message, but rather a joke or crude humour. I think this is partly because of the upbringing of young people. They're thought they shouldn't tolerate even the slightest little thing. They're also typically have an alarming lack of self critisism, which leads to them blaming everyone and everything instead of themselves. For example, instead of blaming themselves for being over sensitive, they blame the movie/game for being offensive.

Anyway, hilarious move by Disney, but they're well aware that the liberal media will gobble this up like groceries.

Petrae

Shit like this is why I won’t give Disney a cent of my money. Panderers and companies who enable the irrational fears and super-sensitivities of a vast minority of people are terrible.

Do you people purposely act edgy and contradictory all the time on purpose? In many of these movies there are some seriously outdated racial and social subject matter. What's the big deal with pointing out that "hey, this buck toothed Asian stereotype comes from a different time. Things have changed".

Let's not forget, Disney is only concerned with covering it's own ass. It could care less about the feelings of the "sjw's" or whatever. The warnings are their attempt at a get out of jail card.

Petrae

Do you people purposely act edgy and contradictory all the time on purpose? In many of these movies there are some seriously outdated racial and social subject matter. What's the big deal with pointing out that "hey, this buck toothed Asian stereotype comes from a different time. Things have changed".

Let's not forget, Disney is only concerned with covering it's own ass. It could care less about the feelings of the "sjw's" or whatever. The warnings are their attempt at a get out of jail card.

So the excuse here is that (young) people are incredibly fucking stupid, to the point where they need even the most basic of concepts explained to them. That’s a condemnation of younger people and their extreme sensitivity to, well, everything if Disney feels the need to cover its ass by having to explain the concept to them, like three year-olds.

The reason that children are so incredibly sensitive to this stuff is because of their parents. Tens of millions of children before them grew up with this same Disney entertainment and turned out just fine. It’s only now that these fragile, hyper-emo gits have become triggered by almost every fucking thing... and they’re conditioning their children to be equally offended, or being offended for them.

lock2k

Banned

B0pQrOJ.jpg

jRgKrFs.jpg

lock2k

Banned

The year the movie was made is a giveaway that it came from a diferent time. lmao

sol_bad

Shit like this is why I won’t give Disney a cent of my money. Panderers and companies who enable the irrational fears and super-sensitivities of a vast minority of people are terrible.

Does that mean you won't give Warner Brother any money ether?

Petrae

Does that mean you won't give Warner Brother any money ether?

Thankfully, I bought all of the Looney Tunes shorts I could ever want before this movement began. Bugs Bunny dressing like a woman and Wile E. Coyote exploding never triggered me like they do some people today.

iconmaster

Banned
We’ve become so delicate that a determined enemy could walk in and teach us what macroaggressions are while we meekly object to their peacephobia.

Maybe someone should.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Thankfully, I bought all of the Looney Tunes shorts I could ever want before this movement began. Bugs Bunny dressing like a woman and Wile E. Coyote exploding never triggered me like they do some people today.

Doesn't change the fact that WB puts the same disclaimer on those old shorts.

sol_bad

The point is that all the companies will do this as we move forward if they have "offensive" films that are 60+ years old.
The old Warner and Disney films don't offend or trigger me either and I want them in my collection. I'll still buy them even if they have the stupid warning.
It's a tad silly getting annoyed about a warning, I'm sure if you really love the content then you are adult enough to understand it's not there for you and you can ignore it.

ROMhack

Also let's be frank, we wouldn't be having this conversation if we thought these Disney movies primary audience was, you know, kids.

That's whats so weird about it for me

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I don't buy modern propaganda, but I'll begrudgingly give these companies cash for physical versions of their films/shows with outdated cultural depictions while I'm still able to purchase them.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
So the excuse here is that (young) people are incredibly fucking stupid, to the point where they need even the most basic of concepts explained to them. That’s a condemnation of younger people and their extreme sensitivity to, well, everything if Disney feels the need to cover its ass by having to explain the concept to them, like three year-olds.

The reason that children are so incredibly sensitive to this stuff is because of their parents. Tens of millions of children before them grew up with this same Disney entertainment and turned out just fine. It’s only now that these fragile, hyper-emo gits have become triggered by almost every fucking thing... and they’re conditioning their children to be equally offended, or being offended for them.

so we should never have stopped having people use blackface in movies

Nymphae

Banned
Tens of millions of children before them grew up with this same Disney entertainment and turned out just fine

Today's lefties grew up on Disney content that featured these outdated cultural depictions. How were they able to fight this unwoke propaganda and grow into woke adults without trigger warnings?

Punished Miku

Gold Member

That was kind of my take on it. Some of Disney's cartoons are very old. I'm just glad they didn't alter the content and decided to just call it history and a different time.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Can't say I have a problem with it. It's the easiest and accepted way to deal with older content that has racially insensitive stuff in it. Much better than editing it or outright censorship.

n0razi

Can't say I have a problem with it. It's the easiest and accepted way to deal with older content that has racially insensitive stuff in it. Much better than editing it or outright censorship.

THIS

All the people making a fuss about it... would you prefer the realistic alternative aka censorship?

Breakage

This is what happens when you encourage people to see themselves as permanent psychological casualties. In such a world, even Disney cartoons could potentially cause mental trauma. How will these people cope if there is another global war in the future?

THIS

All the people making a fuss about it... would you prefer the realistic alternative aka censorship?

I'm looking through this thread completely perplexed. Everyone knows damn well what the alternative would've been.

Be grateful nothing got cut. I'll take a disclaimer over censorship anyday.

-Arcadia-

Banned
This is what happens when you encourage people to see themselves as permanent psychological casualties. In such a world, even Disney cartoons could potentially cause mental trauma. How will these people cope if there is another global war in the future?

Frankly, this, or famine, or some such thing, would likely be exactly what the western world needs to reboot.

You can’t care about invented nonsense, when real problems are staring you down in the face.

The interesting bit is that the invented nonsense will likely cause the real problems, leading to the reset. Nature’s ability to self-regulate and prune a diseased part of the ecosystem as needed, is fascinating.

Breakage

Frankly, this, or famine, or some such thing, would likely be exactly what the western world needs to reboot.

You can’t care about invented nonsense, when real problems are staring you down in the face.

The interesting bit is that the invented nonsense will likely cause the real problems, leading to the reset. Nature’s ability to self-regulate and prune a diseased part of the ecosystem as needed, is fascinating.
Yeah, I agree. Many in the West have become too comfortable. Being able to feel offended by a Disney cartoon or what someone said on Twitter is a luxury only afforded to people who don't have to worry about their own immediate survival.

n0razi

Leaving everything normally because anybody over the age of 12 knows something from a different time might have something that might be offensive?

If you truly believe such a fantasy land could possibly exist....

Top Bottom