• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney really had a good year, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We already know Disney is well on its way to have the highest single year international gross of any studio ever, but how much money a movie makes is only part of the puzzle.

Disney (as in the whole Disney Studios family) released 13 movies this year. 10 (maybe 11) of them could be called critical successes.

13: Alice: Through The Looking Glass- 30% Rotten on Rotten Tomatoes (Walt Disney Pictures)
12: The Light Between Oceans- 59% Rotten on Rotten Tomatoes (Touchstone Pictures)
11: The Finest Hours- 63% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes (Walt Disney Pictures)
10: The BFG (Big Friendly Giant)- 75% Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes (Walt Disney Pictures)
09: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story- 85% Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes (LucasFilm)
08: Pete's Dragon- 86% Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes (Walt Disney Pictures)
07: Captain America: Civil War- 90% Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes (Marvel Studios)
06: Doctor Strange- 91% Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes (Marvel Studios)
05: Queen of Katwe- 92% Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes (Walt Disney Pictures)
04: Finding Dory- 94% Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes (Pixar Animation Studios)
03: The Jungle Book- 94% Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes (Walt Disney Pictures)
02: Moana- 95% Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes (Walt Disney Animation Studios)
01: Zootopia- 98% Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes (Walt Disney Animation Studios)

That's a pretty impressive list and I wouldn't be surprised if they manage to top themselves again. As long as Disney proper, LucasFilm, Pixar, and Marvel continue what they're doing, each year will be huge for Disney. Can they top themselves in 2017?

SpaceWolf

Banned
They really outdid themselves with Zootopia this year. Amazing film.

tumblr_o441mxyHZi1vo7jtpo1_500.gif

LT Snoshado

Did Zootopia seriously come out this year?! Such a good movie and it seems like such a long time since I watched it last.

Zootopia was so good. Finding Dory was ok. I enjoyed it but I doubt I'd ever get the urge to want to see it again. I'm surprised it has that high of a score.

Zootopia was a surprisingly great anomaly for this decade Disney.

Moana was a return to the late 90s-early '00s golden age.

Next year Marvel Studios will release 3 films for the first time.

Could help topping 2016.

I was going to mention that, but I wasn't sure how the Spider-Man rights are. Does Sony get the majority of the profits or does Disney? Is it a Marvel and Sony film or a Sony and Marvel film?

We already know Disney is well on its way to have the highest single year international gross of any studio ever, but how much money a movie makes is only part of the puzzle.

Disney (as in the whole Disney Studios family) released 11 movies this year. 9 (maybe 10) of them could be called critical successes.

11: Alice: Through The Looking Glass- 30% Rotten on Rotten Tomatoes
10: The Finest Hours- 63% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes
09: The BFG (Big Friendly Giant)- 75% Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes
08: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story- 85% Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes
07: Pete's Dragon- 86% Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes
06: Captain America: Civil War- 90% Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes
05: Doctor Strange- 91% Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes
04: Finding Dory- 94% Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes
03: The Jungle Book- 94% Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes
02: Moana- 95% Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes
01: Zootopia- 98% Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

That's a pretty impressive list and I wouldn't be surprised if they manage to top themselves again. As long as Disney proper, LucasFilm, Pixar, and Marvel continue what they're doing, each year will be huge for Disney. Can they top themselves in 2017?

With everything that Disney owns concerning movies, they are gonna have a good year every year.

zewone

I was going to mention that, but I wasn't sure how they Spider-Man rights are. Does Sony get the majority of the profits or does Disney? Is it a Marvel and Sony film or a Sony and Marvel film?
Sony and Marvel film, but it's all Marvel folks working the production. Basically a MCU film. Not sure about profit sharing.

kswiston

I was going to mention that, but I wasn't sure how they Spider-Man rights are. Does Sony get the majority of the profits or does Disney? Is it a Marvel and Sony film or a Sony and Marvel film?

Disney has all of the merchandising rights to Spider-Man, but Sony is funding and distributing the movie and will take in all of the profits, minus whatever they are paying Feige and Co. as producers. It's not a Disney movie.

Chase17

Loved Zootopia, Moana, and The Jungle Book
Liked Doctor Strange and cap 3 a lot
Thought Finding Dory was just ok
Didn't care for The Finest Hours
Seeing Rogue One tonight.
Haven't seen the rest
So I agree, great year for Disney!

Loved Zootopia, Moana, and The Jungle Book
Liked Doctor Strange and cap 3 a lot
Thought Finding Dory was just ok
Didn't care for The Finest Hours
Seeing Rogue One tonight.
Haven't seen the rest
So I agree, great year for Disney!

Yeah, I thought the Finest Hours was just.... fine. It felt more like a movie that was meant to be a TV movie rather than a theatrical release. I thought it was a weird film for Disney itself to release. I would've thought it would be more of a Touchstone thing. Also, I thought the way they advertised it as a 3D movie felt tonally off.

Loved Civil War, Dr. Strange, Zootopia, Moana, and The Jungle Book. Really enjoyed Dory, even if it fell apart towards the end. Looking forward to seeing Rogue One this weekend. 2016 was an amazing year for Disney. Here's hoping 2017 is even better.

Loved Civil War and Moana
Liked Doctor Strange
Thought Finding Dory and Rogue One was okay
HATED Zootopia

That's all I saw, overall okay year for Disney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom