• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney says it will crack down on password sharing, following Netflix’s lead starting in 2024

Pigenator

So they lost ~12.5m subs, raise prices AND start the password crap. Fuck off Disney.
Have no idea who still pays for that crap, almost no content and its main selling point of the MCU shows are mostly shit as well.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I am at 89€ a year now which i share with my brother.
If this becomes more expensive and we cant share anymore, i will have to consider if i want to continue paying for no added value.
That right there is the catch 22. You will leave because of the price increase, but some other sheep will gladly pay it. Them and the other sheep paying it covers you leaving and provides a modest increase in profits. That is why someone like Blizzard is able to absolutely MILK stuff like World of Warcraft or Overwatch. Or how Bungie scams Destiny Players with all its "content" on the Eververse store. They raise these prices, crackdown in other areas, or add "quality" items to the in-game store knowing full well some people will leave because of it, but they know that the loss of player numbers is made up by the number of buyers that will flood in buying their garbage.

We are actively seeing the effect that DLC and Monthly Subs/Battle-Passes has had on gaming translate into the real world. That is not an exaggeration. These streaming services raise the price by 2 or 3 dollars knowing they might lose some of their subscribers, but know that the rest will just mindlessly pay it and the people paying it not only makes up for the losses but add a bit of cheese on top due to the way they are priced. They lost customers sure, but they mostly lost their poorer and already exploited customers. Who cares though because hey that extra few bucks a month makes our quarterlies look fucking DOPE though!

Who cares if the single mom in a hard times situation uses her family members account on Netflix or Disney+ to keep her kids entertained during the week or on the weekend when she can't afford to do anything else. Fuck her. "Gotta have my money!!!!" says Disney the billion dollar company that actively paints itself as a family oriented entity.

0ff7a2f1aaa7011fd6bd3ac27b7a3ae9_w200.gif

Last edited:

-Minsc-

Still have Netflix for watching K-Dramas with my Korean wife. Soooooooooooooooooooo. The question I have is there another streaming service I could subscribe to for watching K-Dramas that's a little cheaper than Netflix?

BlackTron

I literally just signed up for the combo deal last week, and the main selling point was to make it easy for my niece to watch stuff no matter where she goes as she's constantly shuffled between houses. It is a single account on 3 TVs/IP addresses with the main intent to be used by one kid to watch silly Mickey Mouse shorts.

I'm glad this will take effect sometime in 2024, so I will get some utility out of it before canceling. I mean sure I get some value and convenience out of the sub too, but without this main feature for me, I don't want it.

Sonik

The newly christened media noose tightens ever further. Capitalism will have its infinite growth. It will have your money. If you want your media you will have to pay for it. More and more. Money money.

Remember when you could turn on the TV at noon on a Sunday in October and catch something as simple a football game with relative ease and no extortionate pricing? I remember. They will keep tightening that noose tighter and tighter until they find the limit.

And yet economists gaze in wonder at people living paycheck to paycheck and doctors wonder why suicides are up and depression is rampant. I wonder why that is. I wonder why.......:pie_thinking:

Great post but I blame the people too. They live paycheck to paycheck and still don't bother to fuck these corporations over. They banned account sharing? Cut the fucking service to teach them a lesson. Netflix that did this isn't even a must have, it's full of forgettable generic trash, and at the end if you're poor and desperate to see a Netflix show (lol) pirate the fucking thing, I don't condone it but fuck, it's better than giving these immoral greedy fucks money when they're actively trying to screw you.

Still have Netflix for watching K-Dramas with my Korean wife. Soooooooooooooooooooo. The question I have is there another streaming service I could subscribe to for watching K-Dramas that's a little cheaper than Netflix?
Viki
Tubi
Kocowa
Asiancrush

There used to be one more, a pretty big one with a really nice app interface(the logo was a flame symbol) but if I remember correctly, it was branched off from Crunchyroll after they stopped caring as much about acquiring K-drama and J-drama(big mistake by Crunchyroll), but they quickly died due to not enough subs nor not enough interest back then(this was around 2014).

Honestly, Netflix has an amazing selection of foreign shows and movies. I think the people who come to Netflix wanting the best of American offerings and ending up disappointed, will eventually have to branch out to foreign content or cancel their sub.

Edit: The app that died was called DramaFever. It died in 2019, right before Squid Games made an impact and changed the landscape.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The problem was that it worked for Netflix. Got them a nice 5% boost. Everyone was going to start following their lead.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
A new reality for these tv giants is would if nobody watched their content? At some point people will pivot to other forms of media.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
A new reality for these tv giants is would if nobody watched their content? At some point people will pivot to other forms of media.

They already are. Let's take the Skibidi Toilets meme which is a branch of some foreign meme. There is a Youtuber who makes 1 minute videos where Cameramen, Speakermen and fucking toilets with psychotic heads battle it out to the tune of 20+ million views per video. When I subbed to the guy, he was at something like 1-2 million subs, now he's at around 22 million. People's tastes are definitely pivoting. TV/Cable/Movies are becoming too fucking sterile, too safe. The dialogue, the effects... I don't know. I grew tired of it more than a decade ago and in 2023, I find myself watching weird, off the wall shit online to the tune of 1-10 mins and have better writing than 10 Disney movies combined, with a fraction of the budget and manpower.
I'm also into a lot of educational materials online and TV/Cable is severely lacking in that department, too.

Dural

They already are. Let's take the Skibidi Toilets meme which is a branch of some foreign meme. There is a Youtuber who makes 1 minute videos where Cameramen, Speakermen and fucking toilets with psychotic heads battle it out to the tune of 20+ million views per video. When I subbed to the guy, he was at something like 1-2 million subs, now he's at around 22 million. People's tastes are definitely pivoting. TV/Cable/Movies are becoming too fucking sterile, too safe. The dialogue, the effects... I don't know. I grew tired of it more than a decade ago and in 2023, I find myself watching weird, off the wall shit online to the tune of 1-10 mins and have better writing than 10 Disney movies combined, with a fraction of the budget and manpower.
I'm also into a lot of educational materials online and TV/Cable is severely lacking in that department, too.

OMG, my 3yo and 7yo love watching Speakerman, I hear Everybody wants to rule the World nonstop. I got my 3yo a Speakerman plush for his bday and he carried it everywhere with him. My kids don't really care about any of the streaming platforms, they watch more Youtube than anything (and I pay for family premium). I do have the Disney+Hulu subscription, but only because of the $5/month deal they did last year. Don't plan on renewing when it's up.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
OMG, my 3yo and 7yo love watching Speakerman, I hear Everybody wants to rule the World nonstop. I got my 3yo a Speakerman plush for his bday and he carried it everywhere with him. My kids don't really care about any of the streaming platforms, they watch more Youtube than anything (and I pay for family premium). I do have the Disney+Hulu subscription, but only because of the $5/month deal they did last year. Don't plan on renewing when it's up.

Well, I'm a fan of Team Fortress and Garry's Mod, which that Youtuber seems to be using to help make his videos. The first 20 "episodes" were fucking wacky, but then his stuff started taking a life of it's own and seems to becoming its own universe. I'm also into watching all the AI generated stuff, too.

Dural

Well, I'm a fan of Team Fortress and Garry's Mod, which that Youtuber seems to be using to help make his videos. The first 20 "episodes" were fucking wacky, but then his stuff started taking a life of it's own and seems to becoming its own universe. I'm also into watching all the AI generated stuff, too.

Yeah, it's crazy what something so simple has turned in to. My 7yo first started watching it, and he does watch a lot of Garry's Mod videos, then my 3yo started watching it because of him.

A part of me misses my Crunchyroll subscription. Especially since when they dropped the free with ads after a week version.
They also screwed over funimation/dubbed viewers. Funimation used to do dubs within 7 days of release and have dubbed subtitles. If you're fortunate, Crunchyroll will give you a dub within 3-5 weeks with zero subtitles. They never changed this after acquiring Funimation. Also, if another company (like Adult Swim/CN) owns the rights to a dub, then you're screwed for much, much longer due to having to wait for an old school TV release schedule.

It's one of the many reasons why some of the people making the bad take that 'cable should come back' are either being too nostalgic or don't truly remember how bad it was to have to Record/DVR content, hope that it captured the whole episode(due to potential off-schedule airing that happened more often than it should have), and look around for it if when a show happened to move to a completely different network with a different air date/time. It was even worse when they wouldn't tell you that a show(especially a comedy one that isn't too chronological like the Simpsons) was on hiatus and that they would instead play previous episodes of it, making you ask yourself 'did I watch this before?' because you weren't quite sure.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That right there is the catch 22. You will leave because of the price increase, but some other sheep will gladly pay it. Them and the other sheep paying it covers you leaving and provides a modest increase in profits. That is why someone like Blizzard is able to absolutely MILK stuff like World of Warcraft or Overwatch. Or how Bungie scams Destiny Players with all its "content" on the Eververse store. They raise these prices, crackdown in other areas, or add "quality" items to the in-game store knowing full well some people will leave because of it, but they know that the loss of player numbers is made up by the number of buyers that will flood in buying their garbage.

We are actively seeing the effect that DLC and Monthly Subs/Battle-Passes has had on gaming translate into the real world. That is not an exaggeration. These streaming services raise the price by 2 or 3 dollars knowing they might lose some of their subscribers, but know that the rest will just mindlessly pay it and the people paying it not only makes up for the losses but add a bit of cheese on top due to the way they are priced. They lost customers sure, but they mostly lost their poorer and already exploited customers. Who cares though because hey that extra few bucks a month makes our quarterlies look fucking DOPE though!

Who cares if the single mom in a hard times situation uses her family members account on Netflix or Disney+ to keep her kids entertained during the week or on the weekend when she can't afford to do anything else. Fuck her. "Gotta have my money!!!!" says Disney the billion dollar company that actively paints itself as a family oriented entity.

0ff7a2f1aaa7011fd6bd3ac27b7a3ae9_w200.gif
Thats how business works.

It's like Apple being that niche rebel brand against IBM. The second they got big and morphed into using Intel chips and promoting it can use MS Office etc... suddenly the rebel PR is tossed aside along with all the long time anti-corporate supporters. And their PR the past 15-20 years is all about conformity and the masses because it maximizes sales potential. For all those old Apple fans I read on websites who hated their new focus, what does Apple care? For every rebel they lost they probably gained 100 new average joes buying iPods and iMacs and iPhones.

As for your example of a poor mom wanting free stuff to entertain their kids, too bad. Pay up. There's endless free internet YT stuff to watch. As well as normal TV like YTV or Niceklodeon. My bro's kids learned how to watch YT for kids content for free, so can any mom or dad. But hey it's just not Disney branded TV shows. Take what free shit is out there and be happy.

Just because someone is poor doesn't mean they should get free shit forever. If they had already been leeching off someone, consider it a free bonus it went on for years.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

As for your example of a poor mom wanting free stuff to entertain their kids, too bad. Pay up. There's endless free internet YT stuff to watch. As well as normal TV like YTV or Niceklodeon. My bro's kids learned how to watch YT for kids content for free, so can any mom or dad. But hey it's just not Disney branded TV shows. Take what free shit is out there and be happy.

Just because someone is poor doesn't mean they should get free shit forever. If they had already been leeching off someone, consider it a free bonus it went on for years.
Between that and your bizarre hatred of Unions from the other thread your beliefs when it comes to the poor and the average workers is honestly alarming.

You would do great in an oligarchy.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Between that and your bizarre hatred of Unions from the other thread your beliefs when it comes to the poor and the average workers is honestly alarming.

You would do great in an oligarchy.
LOL. Thats the difference between people who pay their bills vs. deadbeats. I prefer paying my bills.

If you're one of those people who organizes sports pools, you'd love me in the pool. I am one of those people who will pay you right away even before I submit my picks. Be ethical and pay your bills on time.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

LOL. Thats the difference between people who pay their bills vs. deadbeats. I prefer paying my bills.

If you're one of those people who organizes sports pools, you'd love me in the pool. I am one of those people who will pay you right away even before I submit my picks. Be ethical and pay your bills on time.
Yeah all those poor people who have trouble affording their bills.

Those deadbeats.

Jfc.

Ownage

I do one streaming service at a time: watch all the shows on one service I want, then cancel, and go to another. No sense paying for multiple simultaneously.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah all those poor people who have trouble affording their bills.

Those deadbeats.

Jfc.
Too bad. If a streaming service wants to crack down on password sharing thats their call. Not a poor person's entitlement to keep getting it splitting it with someone 50/50.

Dont get me wrong, I think everyone on this board knows you always support the poor guy, where if it means ripping people off or crime you dont really give a shit. but some people do.

I'll give you a good example of ethics in paying bills. I organized a big team party at a pub. I prepaid for $600 worth of food so that when we all arrive the food tarts churning out. BUT what happened is that when the final bill came, the bill was only for the extra food and drinks people ordered when we all got there. They forgot to add on the starter apps! There was a communication issue because the person I chatted with wasnt working that day, but the food still came out

They didn't even realize it. I didnt either until I got home and noticed all those apps I ordered with the manager on email werent there. I contacted them and said you undercharged me. They said cool and thanks, they'll send me a separate bill. 3 days later, nothing. I emailed them again and he said he forgot because he was so busy. They finally sent me over the bill and I sent them my CC info.

Now a lot of people wouldnt notice the bill difference. Or even bother contacting them they screwed themselves over. I did contact them because hey, a bill is a bill and it should be paid. Pretty sure a giant restauaant franchise doesnt care about missing out on $600 when they already got $2000 off us already.

No difference then the times I caught a cashier missing billing me a grocery store. I'm good with numbers and can eyeball something is wrong if the grand total looks off vs my internal math. So I'll call out and tell them and they'll charge me correctly.

Some people will keep quiet and hope nobody notices hoping to skim some gains. I dont. No different than self checkouts. I pay 100% of shit I buy. No skimming or stealing. Doesn't matter if I was in my 20s living pay cheque to pay cheque for years, or now when Im doing fine. Pay the toll.

Your issue is you got low ethics.

Even when I was a kid listening to mom and dad ant the dinner table drone on about being poor, but doing the right thing in life it was boring to listen to. BUT it's great advice looking back to be honest. Its obvious you got zero guidance in your life what is right or wrong to do. And youre a grown adult who should know better.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Dont get me wrong, I think everyone on this board knows you always support the poor guy, where if it means ripping people off or crime you dont really give a shit. but some people do.
Yeah I usually support the people that most deserve supporting.

When have I supported crime though? Or "ripping people off"? Be specific.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah I usually support the people that most deserve supporting.

When have I supported crime though? Or "ripping people off"? Be specific.
Theres a difference between supporting people pending the context.

Your complaint that password crackdowns means poor parents cant afford it as a babysitting tool and because Disney is already a giant company goes to show your typical attitude. In other words, poor people should get free shit off other people's or company's backs. Hey, thats one way to view things. Mine is do the right thing and pay your bills. If anything people whould be happy NF and the like have allowed account sharing for years. Its really no different than Costco allowing multiple cards on one account. But hey, if they want to make it so people have to individually sign up, thats their call. And if a current account splitting doesn't like it, then dont do it and watch free stuff on the net.

As for crime and law enforcement you are always anti-cop. And during those Floyd riots where everyone on GAF was downplaying all the riots as people were all posting live streams lets face it. You kept your mouth shut. When there's a story a cop(s) might go overboard you love criticizing cops. when there's obvious looters or dumb shit going on, you go silent.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As for Disney+ I'd never sub to it. Even though their site says 1600 movies and 28000 tv shows, their main draw they've been promoting since the begining is this stuff (from their website). If you arent hardcore into these franchises, I dont see Disney+ being valuable at all when NF seems more varied in content.

VjmMlrf.jpg

Nobody_Important

Theres a difference between supporting people pending the context.

Your complaint that password crackdowns means poor parents cant afford it as a babysitting tool and because Disney is already a giant company goes to show your typical attitude. In other words, poor people should get free shit off other people's or company's backs. Hey, thats one way to view things. Mine is do the right thing and pay your bills. If anything people whould be happy NF and the like have allowed account sharing for years. Its really no different than Costco allowing multiple cards on one account. But hey, if they want to make it so people have to individually sign up, thats their call. And if a current account splitting doesn't like it, then dont do it and watch free stuff on the net.

As for crime and law enforcement you are always anti-cop. And during those Floyd riots where everyone on GAF was downplaying all the riots as people were all posting live streams lets face it. You kept your mouth shut. When there's a story a cop(s) might go overboard you love criticizing cops. when there's obvious looters or dumb shit going on, you go silent.
Oh so you're just making shit up then based off of posts I never actually made. Just your feels based on the posts I never made. Really big brain move there. The funniest part is that you aren't even right. I did post in those threads and the stance that I took was that I always supported the peaceful protests but never the violence or the rioting. I said as much several times.

You could have just said that and saved yourself some typing and said that you pulled it from your ass lol

I'm leaving it there though because we're getting close to politics and I'm not going to get a ban just because you can't seem to help yourself when it comes to arguing against average people and the poor.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Oh so you're just making shit up then based off of posts I never actually made. Just your feels based on the posts I never made. Really big brain move there. The funniest part is that you aren't even right. I did post in those threads and the stance that I took was that I always supported the peaceful protests but never the violence or the rioting. I said as much several times.

You could have just said that and saved yourself some typing and said that you pulled it from your ass lol

I'm leaving it there though because we're getting close to politics and I'm not going to get a ban just because you can't seem to help yourself when it comes to arguing against average people and the poor.
Thats fine with me to leave that out. But bottom line regarding this Disney subscription thread is simple. Pay your bills. If Disney wants to adjust their sign ups so people cant leech, then pay for an account yourself. Think of it like a gym membership. One membership per person, where the gym got rid of the free guest pass for friends.

Dazraell

I'm getting tired of Disney parroting each of the stupid trends that other streaming services are doing. Both of their decision to remove various shows and movies from their services for tax writeoffs like Warner and now Netflix's limiting password sharing when they were encouraging to it in the past aren't consumer friendly. I don't think I will renew my subscription after it finishes

Last edited:
Top Bottom