• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disturbing video shows high school cheerleaders forced into repeated splits

I read somewhere that the community for ballet "enthusiasts" are pretty much accepting these kind of torturing things. Also some boxing gyms, where I casually trained still think that you only train hard enough if you are on the verge of vomiting and passing out.
That's correct. Voluntairily though. Some people like to push themselves.
Imo, crazy stuff. But i also trained till i vomited a couple of times (kick/ thaiboxing). With me that was easy since i was in bad shape.

But there are horrible stories like this in Europe, Russia, China, Thailand, wherever kids are pushed to their limits and beyond for sports.

Kill3r7

I read somewhere that the community for ballet "enthusiasts" are pretty much accepting these kind of torturing things. Also some boxing gyms, where I casually trained still think that you only train hard enough if you are on the verge of vomiting and passing out.

The whole train till you puke is beyond stupid. If you make people run wind sprints long enough they will eventually vomit. All you've done is taxed the body beyond its limits and overtained. I hated two a days in high school and have no desire to set foot in a crossfit gym.

I watched about 3 seconds and got out of there. They shouldn't stop at just firing him. He is physically abusing them and should face criminal charges.

PillarEN

Is this actually that abnormal for sports training?

Honestly, yes. I mean I don't know about cheerleading, but I played contact sports growing up (hockey, soccer) and while there were "tough ass practices" sometimes, I never had a coach have a kid writhing in pain or having some other physical injury happen to them from training. Not talking about having two players accidentally run into each other or stuff like that of course.

Zoe

What he did was obviously gross and wrong. He should be immediately removed from his position.

What the girl said "it was tearing my ligament and muscles" isn't necessarily true. Doubt she'd be able to walk if she had such a serious injury.

Her parents do talk about her injury, so I doubt she's pulling that out of her ass.

darscot

The girl clearly does not want this done to her. It is completely wrong for them to not listen and stop.

That being said as the Father of a elite level gymnast they do not appear to be actually putting that much pressure on her. I have scene coaches put a lot more force than that. They are far more controlled and I have never seen a girl cry out like that but you can see it hurts like fuck but they just deal with it.

I will add that my daughters coaches knew there shit and there was complete trust. It is still hard to watch as a Father though.

The girl clearly does not want this done to her. It is completely wrong for them to not listen and stop.

That being said as the Father of a elite level gymnast they do not appear to be actually putting that much pressure on her. I have scene coaches put a lot more force than that. They are far more controlled and I have never seen a girl cry out like that but you can see it hurts like fuck but they just deal with it.

I will add that my daughters coaches knew there shit and there was complete trust. It is still hard to watch as a Father though.
This is why I was wondering, if it was actually uncommon. I don't follow/care about sports, but it seems like competitive level training involves some super painful stuff like this. Did she actually sustain significant ligament damage?

So nothing was done at all in 2 months? Yeah no each one of them should be fired. She should have been let go the moment she said stop. Fuck that coach.

darscot

This is why I was wondering, if it was actually uncommon. I don't follow/care about sports, but it seems like competitive level training involves some super painful stuff like this. Did she actually sustain significant ligament damage?

I would be very surprised if she was actually injured. The coach is wrong here I'm not defending this situation. There does appear to be considerable drama on display. The problem is the chaos. They should have let the girl get control of herself then tried again. There is nothing wrong with applying pressure to help an athlete stretch it is completely normal. You have to do it properly and the athlete can not be fighting you. It doesn't appear to go on that long though, you can see them stop pretty quickly.

Trace

Banned
Isn't stretching supposed to be a gradual thing? If you're in pain you're going to tense up the muscles and tear them, not get any benefit out of stretching.

DemWalls

That doesn't really seem a good method. As effective as it may be, but the poor girl will barely be able to walk for a few days at least.

Sianos

I can confirm that this is a common practice across sports, and one I can personally relate to. Screaming that eventually descends into pained laughter. Some people like myself even come to enjoy it in a twisted way.

Isn't stretching supposed to be a gradual thing? If you're in pain you're going to tense up the muscles and tear them, not get any benefit out of stretching.
This is true, but the toxic culture of NO PAIN NO GAIN, THEREFORE MORE PAIN MEANS MORE GAIN is deeply embedded into the American psyche. Actually improving matters less than spinning your wheels and destroying your body.

Thankfully my current coach is a reasonable man who treats his athletes well physically and with respect mentally - which is why he is succeeding - but the damage has already been done to my body.

Symphonia

Banned
Surely this counts as actual bodily harm? His hands are on the body and injuries are being sustained. Lock the fucker up.

How in the HELL do you do this over and over and hear those screams and think this is okay?

These girls deserve to get whatever settlement they can get out of the school district.

Reeks

Maybe this should be in its own thread, but did anyone else have super harsh coaches in high school? My basketball coach was mean AF. He'd curse at us and berate us. He was the worst during off-season conditioning. I remember many times where I threw up or passed out and had to finish the work out after a 2 or 3 minute "breather".

Edit: I grew up in Texas

Yeah, I don't think I'll be watching that. I thought the splits were something that you could either do naturally or not at all. Like my double-jointed thumb.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
uhm yup... if it was me in this situation i don't know how i wouldn't be going after this dude with a rage-on like i've never known.

Hope they get proper fucked for all their worth and then locked up for a bit as well. Fuck em.

darscot

The coach was clearly wrong here but there is no malicious intent, people really need to ease back on the "lock him up" and parent rage. This type of thing when done properly is completely normal. This is at the minor end of the scale at what athletes put themselves through. This girl clearly was not in and they should have just let her quit. I can assure you this would be considered silly to any serious cheerleader or gymnast. The girl clearly had no idea what she walked into. The coach should have recognized this I am sure he had no intention of hurting her.

kmfdmpig

My daughter attends a top-tier ballet school where splits are common. This is not how you help people learn to do splits.

That coach is insane and should be charged with abuse.

Maybe this should be in its own thread, but did anyone else have super harsh coaches in high school? My basketball coach was mean AF. He'd curse at us and berate us. He was the worst during off-season conditioning. I remember many times where I threw up or passed out and had to finish the work out after a 2 or 3 minute "breather".

Edit: I grew up in Texas

Yup. Half of my gym coaches in elementary school were borderline bullies who mocked and ridiculed students for being slow, scared or fat. I can't imagine that such an approach would fly nowadays (nor should it).

Forgive me for asking a somewhat related question, but is flexibility something that is genetically ordained or is it just a matter of conditioning? Are there some people who are physically not capable of doing splits and so on?

darscot

Forgive me for asking a somewhat related question, but is flexibility something that is genetically ordained or is it just a matter of conditioning? Are there some people who are physically not capable of doing splits and so on?

It various and the vast majority of people are capable of it if you put in the effort. It is much easier for some. There is kind of a balance. My daughter was a very powerful gymnast but its rare to have both power and flexibility they are opposites sides of the scales. Some girls are super flexible but they tend to lack power. Its similar to fast twitch vs slow twitch.

Zoe

Txαi;246895258 said:
Given the issue at hand, the mother should've probably talked to the school in person rather than by e-mail.

E-mail creates a record.

jelly

I remember the forced stretches I did in taekwondo but it was built up over time and not breaking like that, which is horrific. What a scumbag.

dpunk3

I'd have legit smashed a chair over that coaches head. Are you fucking kidding me dirtbag? You don't need to be putting your hands on a person to coach them.

pestul

I remember my Taekwon-Do training being pretty brutal in this regard as well. You put your leg up high against the wall and they would push on your back/hips for increased flexibility.

It was never to this level of torture though. This is just.. uncomfortable to watch.

Top Bottom