• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJ MAX Community Thread: Back With More Block-Droppin' Beats

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry for the necro, but I thought this was a good place to ask: DJMax Protable 3 is on sale for $15 this week. Coming from Technika Tune and Technika Q how does the gameplay of Portable 3 holds up? I watched some gameplay vids and also seems that a bunch of tunes from Portable 3 appear on Tune. Is the difference in song selection and gameplay worth the $15?

friz898

I just wanted to come in here and post that I was a huge DJ Max lover (but not to the point of importing the korea-only psp games a few years back) until the new DJ Max came out.

I followed it closely, was going to pay the premium price for it, and deal with the shipping issues around launch time, then I read how people were frustrated because of the little screeen or something, and I have very little patience..as DJ max is already a tough game. So I passed.

Can someone tell me that was retarded?

Sorry for the necro, but I thought this was a good place to ask: DJMax Protable 3 is on sale for $15 this week. Coming from Technika Tune and Technika Q how does the gameplay of Portable 3 holds up? I watched some gameplay vids and also seems that a bunch of tunes from Portable 3 appear on Tune. Is the difference in song selection and gameplay worth the $15?

Honestly, probably not. Unless you really like grinding for new songs, Portable 3 is kind of a bummer. Plus, like you said, the standout tracks are in other games now.

That being said, I still played the hell out of it.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I just wanted to come in here and post that I was a huge DJ Max lover (but not to the point of importing the korea-only psp games a few years back) until the new DJ Max came out.

I followed it closely, was going to pay the premium price for it, and deal with the shipping issues around launch time, then I read how people were frustrated because of the little screeen or something, and I have very little patience..as DJ max is already a tough game. So I passed.

Can someone tell me that was retarded?

Dude, there's still time.

Also, thanks for the quick answer. I guess I'm gonna buy the Technika Q exclusive DLC then.

Been itching for a rhythm game lately so I picked up Technika Tune. First DJ Max game for me. Liking it so far, having a much harder time keeping a beat than with most rhythm games but maybe it's just because I'm not using headphones or I'm just super bad.

Do people usually play with the rear touch disabled? It feels like I can never have my hands positioned correctly to allow for both two-button/finger notes as well as rear touch stuff.

cj_iwakura

If you've never played classic, it'll be a fun change, but it's easily the worst of the classic style DJMPs.

I bought Portable 3 since I'm never going to get to play the others in the classic series. It's not a bad complement to the Technika games (especially since I'm grinding for song packs in Technika Q rather than paying). Only half the songs are in either Technika Tune or Technika Q, and those include most of the high-level unlocks (so I'm in no hurry to get them).

Also, I really like IF, and I assume they're not going to license the rights to put it in Technika Q.

Been itching for a rhythm game lately so I picked up Technika Tune. First DJ Max game for me. Liking it so far, having a much harder time keeping a beat than with most rhythm games but maybe it's just because I'm not using headphones or I'm just super bad.

Do people usually play with the rear touch disabled? It feels like I can never have my hands positioned correctly to allow for both two-button/finger notes as well as rear touch stuff.

If you enable the rear touch, you'll most likely need to support one side of the Vita with something other than your hands. It's probably not for everyone, but I use it so that my hands obstruct the screen less.

Also, keep in mind that the beat can correspond to almost any part of the song, whether instrumental or vocal. It can even be based on different instrumental tracks depending on difficulty.

I finally got to play on a Technika machine! Unfortunately, for just ten minutes - and it's not even at an arcade, just a one-off convention event. The machine is going straight back into storage until the next convention.

At least it's in good condition, I guess...?

Top Bottom