• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DLSS 3 Mod creator for Jedi Survivor/TLOU and other games adds a DRM to his Red Dead Redemption 2 DLSS 3 Mod

Paid mods: good or bad idea?

• I'm ok with that

Votes: 30 14.7%
  • Nah, that sucks

Votes: 174 85.3%

• Total voters

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
This DRM will most likely extend to all his mod soon

NVIDIA-DLSS3-HERO-BANNER.jpg

Note by me, just to be clear: if an update for the game is released, you are fucked and need to subscribe to his Patreon again to get the latest version. Otherwise you wont be able to use the mod you paid for!

A few days ago, PureDark issued a new update for his Red Dead Redemption 2 DLSS 3 Mod that added a DRM to it.
This DRM requires you to authenticate your license, so if you don't subscribe to his Patreon for at least $5 a month, then you won't be able to get his mods working for your games

PureDark has implemented this DRM in preparation for the upcoming Starfield DLSS 3 Mod. The modder knows that a lot of people will be interested in it, so he’s doing everything to combat its illegal distribution.
And what better way to protect a paid mod from piracy? But to add a DRM of course.

Red-Dead-Redemption-2-DLSS-3-Mod-DRM.jpg

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Not to mention than as soon as an update for the concerned game is released, his DLSS 3 mods will break so you need to subscribe again to get the new version.

Fuck that honestly, this is terrible. If this trend continue what is the endgame? Are we gonna donate 5$ per mod? My Skyrim would've cost me something like 5K then.
I found this message on Reddit talking about this and I fully agree:

image.png

Ok then I'm fine with that. Thats not much different than what he had before since you had to be invited to his Discord group through his Patreon to downoad the mods.
No continues subscription required. You just need to subscribe for 1 month, active the mod, unsubscribe.

That's not really true tho, as I said if an update for the game is released, you are fucked and need to subscribe to his Patreon again to get the latest version. Otherwise you wont be able to use the mod you paid for.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

No continues subscription required. You just need to subscribe for 1 month, active the mod, unsubscribe.

Ok then I'm fine with that. Thats not much different than what he had before since you had to be invited to his Discord group through his Patreon to downoad the mods.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Exactly. Only the people who distributed it illegally or obtained it illegally would be angry at this.
So please tell me, what is your position about people doing textures mods, weapons addition, characters skins etc... Should we paid 5$ per mod too? And then tell me, what is the limit and where does this stop? Is my game gonna cost me 100$ a month if I want to mod it? Why would anyone be ok with that? It's just greed for real.

Let me make a donation if I want/can.

Mister Wolf

Not to mention than as soon as an update for the concerned game is released, his DLSS 3 mods will break so you need to subscribe again to get the new version.

Fuck that honestly, this is terrible. If this trend continue what is the endgame? Are we gonna donate 5$ per mod? My Skyrim would've cost me something like 5K then.
I found this message on Reddit talking about this and I fully agree:

image.png

That's not really true tho, as I said if an update for the game is released, you are fucked and need to subscribe to his Patreon again to get the latest version. Otherwise you wont be able to use the mod you paid for.

It is already like that. There is a Discord bot that checks if you're currently subscribed to his Patreon. Can't join his Discord then you can't download the files.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I paid for an Assetto Corsa mod called Sol. I used the mod once to see if it works, then I didn't even open the game again :messenger_grinning_sweat: . However, it's better than a horse armor DLC. I believe that mod creators should also earn money. This way, we can obtain larger-scale and higher-quality mods. However, the idea of DRM seems a bit extreme.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
It is already like that. There is a Discord bot that checks if you're currently subscribed to his Patreon. Can't join his Discord then you can't download the files.
Yeah I know, we go from a shitty move to an even more shitty move. Mods had been around for decades, and everything was fine but now it's just "plz give me money"
And as I said, what about other mods? Should I paid 100$ a month if I want to mod my Skyrim? Because this is what's coming.

And you are ok with the need to subscribe again if an update for the game is released?

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Mods with DRM....
I thought I would never see the day.

SpecialK also had a sort of DRM implemented after its initial release.
But it was hilarious because everyone who complained about the DRM were literally pirates because the only thing the DRM did was confirm the game was NOT a pirated copy.
skif_2022.png

I was a fan of his work but I won't support him moving forward with this. He basically wants a subscription service for his mod to maintain it function.
Never bought his mods and now likely ever won’t. There were problems anyway that a patch that would break his mod would mean you have to buy again right? So nope.
Either someone else will step up to make free mods without DRM, or we continue to push devs to support the majority of GPU owners, RTX cards.

You guys didnt read at all?

Any account that has subscribed at all can authenticate the license.
If you downloaded the mod "legally" then whenever you get a new version from "places" you just sign in with your account and itll authenticate.
You dont even have to stay subscribed, which is actually better than the discord bot that requires you to be subscribed.

Well he can fuck right off then. I was going to pay for the Starfield DLSS version but I'm not paying for a mod with DRM.
bombastic.jpg

Sure you were gonna pay for the mod but you arent willing to sign into Patreon to authenticate the mod literally once.
So you were gonna instead use the discord bot that requires you to currently be subscribed?

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
So please tell me, what is your position about people doing textures mods, weapons addition, characters skins etc... Should we paid 5$ per mod too? And then tell me, what is the limit and where does this stop? Is my game gonna cost me 100$ a month if I want to mod it? Why would anyone be ok with that? It's just greed for real.

Let me make a donation if I want/can.

You don't have to use it. You don't have to pay for it. You don't have to support it.

It takes time and skill to develop those things, and if the author chooses to lock a mod behind a paywall, that's fair play as far as I'm concerned.

Mister Wolf

Yeah I know, we go from a shitty move to an even more shitty move. Mods had been around for decades, and everything was fine but now it's just "plz give me money"
And as I said, what about other mods? Should I paid 100$ a month if I want to mod my Skyrim? Because this is what's coming.

I understand where you're coming from but I'm not gonna make much fuss over $5. His mod saved Jedi Survivor for me and if Starfield is CPU limited in the big NPC dense cities like BG3 then I'm gonna need that Frame Generation ASAP.

Zathalus

Sure you were gonna pay for the mod but you arent willing to sign into Patreon to authenticate the mod literally once.
So you were gonna instead use the discord bot that requires you to currently be subscribed?
There is a big difference between getting access to Discord to download a file and the file having built in DRM. I have zero interest in any sort of mod that does that.

More power to him but I'll just wait until a free mod comes along that will implement DLSS. Skyrim and Fallout 4 both have those.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
There is a big difference between getting access to Discord to download a file and the file having built in DRM. I have zero interest in any sort of mod that does that.

More power to him but I'll just wait until a free mod comes along that will implement DLSS. Skyrim and Fallout 4 both have those.
I believe you.

ThickDisastrousAdouri-max-1mb.gif

willothedog

Thought rockstar thought dimly about people profiteering off their work and mods in general, surprised they haven't gone after them.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Is it even legal? I know Nintendo is crazy going after YouTubers playing their games since the idea is: our game is making you money.

I don't know. I guess he's modifying Nvidia files, I'm not sure what's the license there.

I remember Bethesda tried to profit from mods, check how they worked out. This is hilariously against the ethos of the modding community, guy’s reputation is toast.

He was always profiting from these mods. The difference is: now he implemented DRM so everyone have to pay for it. Before, one person could pay it and host it for the entire world to download for free.

Zathalus

I believe you.

ThickDisastrousAdouri-max-1mb.gif
Why in earth would I pirate a mod? I haven't pirated anything in almost 20 years. Hell I don't even watch movies or TV shows that I can't stream or purchase digitally. I even pay for YouTube premium and sit through sponsored videos just to ensure I'm supporting video creators as well.

I'm not adverse to paying for some mods, I've bought a few for Microsoft Flight Simulator. I'm just not a fan of paying for a mod that comes with its own special DRM.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
You don't have to use it. You don't have to pay for it. You don't have to support it.

It takes time and skill to develop those things, and if the author chooses to lock a mod behind a paywall, that's fair play as far as I'm concerned.
Oh be sure I won't support it. I'm not questioning his skills, but the method. It's not even about the money but the principe: let's take something that worked just fine for decades (mods) and make it about money because why not after all? What could go wrong?

Also, very sorry but this "you don't have to use it" take is stupid. Mods are a big part of PC gaming and, again, if it starts to be behind a paywall what is the limit? Modded Skyrim is what helped the game survive all those years.
Just le me do a donation if I want to.

I'm writing it again because you don't seem to realize (I will add this to the OP too): if an update for the game is released, you are fucked and need to subscribe to his Patreon again to get the latest version. Otherwise you wont be able to use the mod you paid for!
And you didn't responded, what about people doing textures mods, weapons addition, characters skins etc... Don't you think they deserve some money too? (Spoiler: they get money but with DONATION) Should we paid 5$ each?

I understand where you're coming from but I'm not gonna make much fuss over $5. His mod saved Jedi Survivor for me and if Starfield is CPU limited in the big NPC dense cities like BG3 then I'm gonna need that Frame Generation ASAP.
Thing is, this create a precedent. Imagine every modder start locking all their mods behind a paywall, then if you ever want to heavily mod a game you'll be fucked with dozens of Patreons to subscribe to.
Just don't support this stuff and wait for a free version. That's it.

Red5

Not about to tell a guy what he can or cannot do with his own work. Man wants fair compensation for his work, be my guest.

But on the other hand, he could've tried to ask for donations first before going the DRM route knowing how the community would react.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Oh be sure I won't support it. I'm not questioning his skills, but the method. It's not even about the money but the principe: let's take something that worked just fine for decades (mods) and make it about money because why not after all? What could go wrong?

Also, very sorry but this "you don't have to use it" take is stupid. Mods are a big part of PC gaming and, again, if it starts to be behind a paywall what is the limit? Modded Skyrim is what helped the game survive all those years.

I'm writing it again because you don't seem to realize (I will add this to the OP too): if an update for the game is released, you are fucked and need to subscribe to his Patreon again to get the latest version. Otherwise you wont be able to use the mod you paid for!
And you didn't responded, what about people doing textures mods, weapons addition, characters skins etc... Don't you think they deserve some money too? (Spoiler: they get money but with DONATION) Should we paid 5$ each?

Thing is, this create a precedent. Imagine every modder start locking all their mods behind a paywall, then if you ever want to heavily mod a game you'll be fucked with dozens of Patreons to subscribe to.

There you go:

At the end of the day nobody is entitled to other people’s free labor.

And if you disagree, there's something seriously wrong with you. I suggest you go to your employer and announce that you will work for free on Tuesdays, like a good boy.

Mister Wolf

It's within their right to profit off something they created. They do not owe us charity or generosity.

Zathalus

A modder is free to charge for his content, but most people won't bother. I'm sure well over 99% of the mods for Starfield will be free. Some of the bigger modders will have Patreon that you can support them with though. Always good to do that if you really appreciate the work they do.

Sleepwalker

Charging for or profiting from mods most likely goes against the TOS of literally every game out there so it won't be long till publishers come after him. Pretty sure take two has DMCA'd people for less.

He should've probably spent his time working on an actual original product if he wanted compensation beyond donations.

Either way I don't care enough about this and will just use native resolution or FSR.

By the way, the timing of this is pretty funny considering Denuvo just announced anti-mod DRM.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
There you go:

And if you disagree, there's something seriously wrong with you. I suggest you go to your employer and announce that you will work for free on Tuesdays, like a good boy.

Donation. This guy is not the first one to ever create a mod you know? A lot of modder earned a lot of money or even became professional without a Patreon. Another alternative is to look at how Nexus Mod is paying creators (good money, for real).
Don't worry, he'll be fine without his Patreon. It's just that I honestly hate this trend of monetizing absolutely EVERYTHING. Mods were one of the last few good things there is on PC and now it's getting fucked because some greedy guy if profiting on the lack of optimization of recent games. This is just pure greed.

Also, we should note that this is not a JOB, he don't have a contract or a boss above him who asks him to make a certain turnover per month. He is doing this with his free will.
It's perfectly fine to want compensation for your work, but be at the player's discretion and then use Nexus Mod alongside it to earn a guaranteed income.

It's within their right to profit off something they created. They do not owe us charity or generosity.
It's not in their right to modify game files and then charge for it.

Top Bottom