• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC - Devil May Cry announced (Capcom X Ninja Theory) - [Update: Unreal Engine 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

glaurung

rockman zx said:
key_image_layered_edited-1.jpg

Hmm.

seinfield.gif

This is the worst news ever, one of my favorite franchises killed.

I hope to god I am overreacting and it turns out incredible.

Dante is the new shitz, smoking while beating monsters with his extravagant wardrobe. I agree the game could play well, but im not buying this redesign. It is the worst example of attempting to catch on pop culture but failing miserably.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I like hi-res pics!!

low-res looked awful even to me (never was a fan of series).

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
rockman zx said:

This looks alright, I think. He looks better here than the in game shots. It's certainly no stupider than previous Dante designs. It's growing on me already.

Draft

Shitty developer obliterates beloved franchise. Capcom wanted for questioning.

Forget the character design, which is pretty atrocious. Ninja Theory? Ninja Fucking Theory? They of Kung Fu Chaos and Heavenly Sword fame? This is who we are trusting with the premier stylish action franchise? Goddamn it, is nothing sacred?

Loving the visuals. Never was a fan of the DMC games, especially 3 and 4 where it was practically a fighting game (Hard to master the fighting system + the learning curve was pretty imposing).

Dante always looked and talked like a dick. I don't see how people are crying over the fact that he went from this:

devil%20may%20cry%203.jpg

...to the one we see above. He looks just as smug and as 'emo' (as you kids say) as he was before. Bunch of babies. And you haven't even seen any gameplay yet also. :lol

SleazyC

Why does Dante look like he came straight out of one of the Twilight Movies?

I guess I am in the minority when saying that I actually enjoyed Heavenly Sword but this is almost comical. If Ninja Theory had to pick one area to do a radical change that they should have known would cause uproar with the previous fanbase they sure did knock it out of the park here. This new Dante looks pretty atrocious to me, regardless of whether or not the Dante had some sort of sentimental design. The design is just terrible.

I will still keep my eyes on this one to see how Ninja Theory handles the gameplay and storyline.

This is setting up for the eventual DMC movie with Robert Pattinson.

this is moar like Twilight Am Cry.

Also why is his neck so fucking long?

seriously, the Ninja Theory rumors had me greatly lowering my expectations, but i didn't think i'd have to start digging under the earth to meet their goals.

who is the target audience for this game?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I don't like that he's looking too young, but I'm not their target audience anyway lol

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
wrong thread

Acosta

Stumpokapow said:
On the one hand, that character model looks awful and I thought Heavenly Sword was a pretty poor game. It's the only PS3 game I've ever traded. On the other hand, I really believe that every other DMC character model ever has looked awful. People keep telling me that Dante, Nero, and Virgil have "badass" designs, but they all look terrible to me.

I'm not a fan of the franchise in general; I think it's the general "stylish action" genre. Even RE5, during the Wesker segments, gets on with some of this stuff. Basically, where other people see it as "totally awesome" when people are flipping through the air and firing billions of bullets that curve and doing sweet sword-to-gun-to-sword-to-fist combos, I just think that's lame. I think if you want to go surreal, something similar in tone to God Hand is the way to go, but even then I think I prefer my action... I don't know... grounded. I just get bad flashbacks to the period after The Matrix came out where every action movie had incredibly elaborate bullet time or wire fu sequences and they all just looked like incredibly overproduced messes to me. The voice acting and attempts at plot just make an awkward situation worse for me.

So I guess I'm not sure what I would want from this. To make it a game I'd enjoy they'd have to so thoroughly gut the franchise that it wouldn't resemble any of the earlier games, and judging from the reactions in this thread over a mere character design, I don't think the existing fanbase would take that well.

Edit: Wow, I reallllly didn't want this to be a top-of-the-page post.

What action games do you like then? Because by that description you are discarding most of the melee action games I know from last years.

In any case, it's a matter of taste I guess. But that is beyond the point, as you said, many people love Dante's design, changing it that way is a mistake and will have consequences. I was ready to give NT a chance, and now I feel less willing to do it just for that horrible design.

SketchTheArtist said:
Dante always looked and talked like a dick. I don't see how people are crying over the fact that he went from this:

[IG]http://library.thinkquest.org/06aug/01856/media/devil%20may%20cry%203.jpg[/IMG]

...to the one we see above. He looks just as smug and as 'emo' (as you kids say) as he was before. Bunch of babies. And you haven't even seen any gameplay yet also. :lol

Dante's DMC3 model was criticized a lot.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
something something gaf bandwagon.

But not me, I think it's good for the series. I was tired of the same old look. He has a soul reaver vibe about him.

I LIKE IT.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Ok, I'm just as sick as everyone else over the fad of blaming everything on the hipsters..... GOOD LORD CAPCOM WTF?!
:lol :lol :lol

Xater

What the fuck is this shit? I bet he is also all dark and broody.

I am coming for you Infaune and whoeverelse is responsible for this shit!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
If youre gonna do this why dont you make a new IP? Why Capcom? WHYYY!!!

I could handle the freaky new character model OR that Capcom hired one of the most aggressively mediocre Western developers to make it but the combination of the two is just too much. :lol

Calcaneus

Ok, so he's just now starting to grow white hair in this game, but in DMC3 he has a full head of white hair and looks a lot younger.

danmaku

Stumpokapow said:
On the one hand, that character model looks awful and I thought Heavenly Sword was a pretty poor game. It's the only PS3 game I've ever traded. On the other hand, I really believe that every other DMC character model ever has looked awful. People keep telling me that Dante, Nero, and Virgil have "badass" designs, but they all look terrible to me.

I agree on that, but at least they all looked like they were taken straight from some b-grade anime, and it was fine. It was hilariously stupid and fit well with the game. This one is far worse. NT must have put ten issues of cosmopolitan in a blender and rendered what came out. The poochie analogy is spot on: they are trying too hard.

SolidSnakex said:
Dante's DMC3 model was criticized a lot.
But his DMC3 look also has a sizable amount of supporters, enough for it to be used in MvC3.

I don't see this new "Dante" getting quite that level of support.

Shito

Cartman86 said:
Character design is one thing, the majority of people who are dissing this hate it for entirely different reasons.
Yup, the other reason being Heavenly Sword and its ABYSMAL combat system.
NT already proved they know nothing about modern action games, and all these official talks about how this will be a "reboot" doesn't bode well AT ALL gameplay wise.

Acosta

SketchTheArtist said:
Bunch of babies. And you haven't even seen any gameplay yet also. :lol

We are criticizing the design if you pay attention, but you couldn't be bothered to read. And DMC 3 design was very criticized, I don't like it and I love Dante's design, so there goes your thinking. But this is crossing the line, I can't recognize Dante on that guy.

The design is horrible, and that being called "Dante" shows zero respect to the fans of the series.

Mdk7

YuriLowell said:
This is setting up for the eventual DMC movie with Robert Pattinson.

this is moar like Twilight Am Cry.

Also why is his neck so fucking long?
SOOO true.
Go Capcom, make it happen! :lol

Gunloc said:
I don't see this new "Dante" getting quite that level of support.

Not from the hardcore fans of series, but it's fairly obvious Capcom want DMC to appeal to a much younger (and therefore new) demographic.

This issue I have is creating a new IP, very confusing.

nico1982

The character appears to be teen in the art, but why in the screenshots he looks like a 50 year old smallpox-affected man with dyed hair?
I never liked DMC characters, except the first Dante, but this is the worst of them all (Dante or not) :S

shinki

Neo Member
Ushojax said:
This looks alright, I think. He looks better here than the in game shots. It's certainly no stupider than previous Dante designs. It's growing on me already.

I thought the same when I saw that, if only it were the other way round and he looked better ingame...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom