• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Review Thread (Release Date - 1/15/13) Embargo is over!

Teknoman

I'd say so for this game as an individual product. It's a good game. I wouldn't mind seeing DmC2 but I will always be in the camp that would prefer a continuation of the original series. I'm so used to the original OP demi-God Dante that I'm not quite ready to never see him return. :lol

Count me in this camp.

So... it's actually good? We were wrong? Giantbomb 5 stars?!?

I guess I'll give it a shot. PC version.

Giant Bomb aside (not that they dont know action games, but some of their reviews seem to be the opposite of my opinion...like EmCee pointed out with Other M), other places like Gametrailers and other GAF members have given it decent reviews, so yeah, its a good action game.

Brad Shoemaker said:
It's almost wholly successful at what it tries to do, and seems like the start of a promising new direction for what was otherwise a nearly forgotten franchise.

Good to know that a franchise that I have had constantly in my gaming rotation since release is apparently nearly forgotten.

goonie

I'm surprised Ryan C. thinks that Dante is a much better character in Dmc. I admit that i'm warming up to the environments and the new universe in general, but unless something happens further into the actual game, the demo doesnt make me feel like he's a much better character now.

Design isnt bad, but personality went backwards.

He does get better. What NT has shown of this new Dante isn't representative of his overall character arc.

Teknoman

Good to know that a franchise that I have had constantly in my gaming rotation since release is nearly forgotten.

lol nearly forgotten? Before DmC was announced, people would come into our store asking "When are they going to make another Devil May Cry game" all the time. Cant see why people keep thinking DMC was nearly forgotten when everyone flipped out over Dante and Vergil being in MvC 3.

He does get better. What NT has shown of this new Dante isn't representative of his overall character arc.

Thats good to know. Due to some GMG savings, i'm in for the PC version day 1. The review videos showing off how cool some of the environments look help.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So the DMC franchise was nearly forgotten now? I like how we're rewriting history for the convenience of the reboot. Also, I like how people are still using "white hair" as a defensive posture.

Deadbeat

Banned
Brad Shoemaker gave Other M 4 stars.

qvvzL.gif

Risette

A Good Citizen
So DMC was nearly forgotten now? I like how we're rewriting history for the convenience of the reboot.
It's honestly doing a disservice to what NT was able to accomplish. They inherited a franchise that was still actually very relevant and they did... a decent job? A good job? Much better than I expected.

Revising history is just lame.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Giantbomb 5 stars, hells yeah.

In other news, i have come to a realization GB 5 star is suddenly a new authority to me. I didnt see THAT coming ohhhhhhhhyeaaaahhhhh.jpg

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
.ie Not a jaded mofo that are lining up to join the ranks of Resident Evil 4 haters cause CHANGE HAPPENED omgoooooooooddd!

Nah, it's called context. I've stated pretty clearly my opinion on how I personally feel reviews should operate. Series entries should be judged based on the series' reputation and expectations. Reviewers have a responsibility to their readership to do so because that's the standpoint they're operating from. They should also approach it from the perspective of a newcomer, but to have pretty much ZERO concept of what is a DMC game makes the person entirely unqualified.

Again, this is my opinion, but it's just part of the reason why reviews are so worthless today.

Which is completely fine. Game should be reviewed based on what is on the disc, not what franchise they belong to.

Disagree completely. But I can understand where you're coming from.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Which is completely fine. Game should be reviewed based on what is on the disc, not what franchise they belong to.

Rational thoughts, get out.

Anywhooo, I am probably nabbing this at Best Buy to grab that RE 6 9.99 deal, that's about the right price for that one i'd imagine.

That character design is horrid. Why does he look like a character from a reality TV show.

Might give this a spin, but jesus. Not feeling that character design.

Teknoman

I never played that game so I won't comment on that score, but it is sad that Brad never played DMC 3 or 4 and barely played Bayonetta.

jbdleyQhNy1IEu.jpg

You'd think he would have at least given DMC 3 or 4 a shot/rent/played in the office if he even likes action games a little.

Is this the first time that a community is upset/outraged against good reviews? I'm used to seeing people lose their shit when a game they desire gets below a 9, but this? It's quite embarrassing and immature (more so than your favorite game getting an 8). But a lot of you are respectable here, so I wont place entire blame on the community, just some of its individuals.

antitrop

Is this the first time that a community is upset/outraged against good reviews? I'm used to seeing people lose their shit when a game they desire gets below a 9, but this? It's quite embarrassing and immature (more so than your favorite game getting an 8).
Which community? Because what you're talking about is pretty much the opposite of what is happening in THIS thread.

Who's outraged that DmC doesn't suck?

Is this the first time that a community is upset/outraged against good reviews? I'm used to seeing people lose their shit when a game they desire gets below a 9, but this? It's quite embarrassing and immature (more so than your favorite game getting an 8).

I don't know if anyone is really upset with good reviews, I thought the game was honestly going to get like 90+ average. It seems like a game literally made from top to bottom for game reviewers.

Dahbomb

Brad sounds like this is the first time he has played an action game with stylish combos and depth.

Oh look it's the standard Darknessbear shit on the community post.

Risette

A Good Citizen
What? Are you doing your "thing" again?

Nobody is upset/outraged over the good reviews here. Just the poor quality writing, as usual.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Is this the first time that a community is upset/outraged against good reviews? I'm used to seeing people lose their shit when a game they desire gets below a 9, but this? It's quite embarrassing and immature (more so than your favorite game getting an 8). But a lot of you are respectable here, so I wont place entire blame on the community, just some of its individuals.

Why do you insist on coming into a thread, reading about three posts or so, and then making a generalized preachy comment about a community from it? That seems to be your MO. I don't see the outrage regarding good reviews. I do see criticism as far as who is handling those reviews.

I bet that this game was going to get a 90+ metacritic half a year ago.

Gestahl

Considering DRAGON AGE 2 GAME OF THE DECADE most people probably find it better to err on the side of caution

Deitus

Not even close. ME3, COD games, Madden, etc.

I also haven't seen much in the way of "outrage" in this topic. Disappointment, sure. There might have been an accusation of bribery or two. But I haven't seen any threats or rage posts at all, but feel free to correct me if I missed something.

I wouldn't say a lot of people are outraged. Just a couple of shocks. Yet still, people will find a way to hate something good, if only to be right.

antitrop

In all fairness, this particular thread is probably one of the most reasonable in the history of DmC related topics across the entire internet.

Lulubop

Really incredible how delusional you are.

Top Bottom