• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DMC4 PC Demo now available.

Rhythmic

zbarron said:
Let's pretend for a minute that not everyone has a 360, a 360 wired controller, or a 360 wireless controller and adapter. The game doesn't even support a mouse.

My monitor is just a HDTV with a 1366x768 native resolution but it only allows me to use it's native resolution if the image is interlaced, so it's 720p for me.
Yes there is a visual difference, it just isn't big enough in my opinion to be worth it.

I've been playing it with a Wiimote and Nunchuck and it's better than the keyboard setup but is still far below what it should be.

The console version was never that jagged to begin with (judging by the PS3 demo) and with it I get to use a much bigger screen and a great sound system.

So until either Capcom adds a good mouse and keyboard control scheme or I buy a 360 controller I'm not picking this game up.

You can get a good pc gamepad for about 20 bucks that works great. Either saitek or a logitec. Most of them mirror the ps2 controller pretty well.
That or just get a ps2>pc convertor for cheap on ebay
http://search.ebay.com/USB-Dual-PS-...eZ1QQsibeleafcatZ74943QQsspagenameZVINSQ3aSIM

There are tons of options for gamepads for the pc and a lot of them are cheap.

vertopci

Holy shit, my single-core celeron D processor is a beast :lol

8x AA, everything else on Super High and I can still get an A :D

dmc4test.jpg

AZ Greg

I know its been touched on, but the grading scale on the benchmark test is all sorts of weird. My settings were everything super high, 2x AA, and v-sync enabled. All at 1440x900. My average frame rate for all 4 areas was 59.xx. I got a B. :\

I'll take it. The game looks phenomenal.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I'm really in my feelings re: this game not working on my PC, which has no problems with any other game. I still get that same error. I reinstalled Direct X, video drivers... My last attempt will be with DX10. If that doesn't work then fuck it. They lost a customer.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Best possible settings with everything at it's finest. Without vsync on otherwise everything will be floating around 60.

30k7e34.jpg

jet1911

I bumped the refresh rate to 75 Hz and turned vsync on. Getting between 70 and 75 fps. It's so smoooooooooth. :lol

McLovin

I can't get higher then a B rank. I have a Quad Core Q6600 @ 2.40ghz 3gb of ram and an 8800gts with 612mb of ram. I'm using an hdtv as a monitor and it only goes up to 60hz does that limit my max fps thus limiting my score? I have everything maxed out 4x msaa running at 1920x1080. It wont go past 60fps and for a brief second (in the jungle) it dipped to 45fps.
Edit- I also tried lowering the resolution to 800x600 and it still wont go past 60fps.

Narag

McLovin said:
I can't get higher then a B rank. I have a Quad Core Q6600 @ 2.40ghz 3gb of ram and an 8800gts with 612mb of ram. I'm using an hdtv as a monitor and it only goes up to 60hz does that limit my max fps thus limiting my score? I have everything maxed out 4x msaa running at 1920x1080. It wont go past 60fps and for a brief second (in the jungle) it dipped to 45fps.
Edit- I also tried lowering the resolution to 800x600 and it still wont go past 60fps.

Do you have v-sync enabled? If so, that's it.

Narag

McLovin said:
yes I do.. won't I get tearing if I turn it off?
You will. I'm not entirely sure how v-sync affects framerate but I do know it'll limit the fps in the benchmark. It very well could be a result of your refresh rate.

Vaporak

McLovin said:
yes I do.. won't I get tearing if I turn it off?

Vsync on is a driver setting that only lets a new frame render if the renderer is completed at the same time that your screen starts a refresh. So if you have a 60hz screen you only have 60 chances to display a new frame for any given second.

Man, this looks so crisp on full settings. Not sure if I'll get it again, I'll have to see videos of the new modes when the game comes out to see if they're worth double-dipping for.

Everything on Super High, 8x MSAA, 1680*1050, DX10, Vsync off:

DevilMayCry4_Benchmark_DX102008-06-.jpg

krzy123

The grading for the benchmark seems pretty simple. If all are above 60 fps you get a S rank, if one is below you get a A rank (the benchmark is only useful if you have vsync off or vsync on w/ a refresh of higher than 60), etc etc

I always get an A despite my last bench being 59.xx fps.

Vormund

rankS.JPG

Despite what it says there ^ My cpu is OC'd to 3.0Ghz.

Running in DX9 (xp x64) with 2x AA on SLI (I couldn't tell the difference at that res between it and 4x)

edit: Forgot to mention: all settings on super high as well. :D

zbarron

1o66jb.jpg

Everything maxed out 1280x720 full AA. My CPU is OC'd to 3.0.

This is with my GPU stock clocked. Whenever I overclock it the demo crashes.

2n16par.jpg

S rank with AA off.

Decado

Is worth getting on the PC? I'm thinking about getting rid of my PS3 version. Any news on DMC4 mods?

I have 360 wireless controllers, is there any way to get them working with my PC?

"I have 360 wireless controllers, is there any way to get them working with my PC?"

Ya, there's a usb dongle you can buy so you can use wireless controllers with your pc.

Decado said:
Is worth getting on the PC? I'm thinking about getting rid of my PS3 version. Any news on DMC4 mods?

I have 360 wireless controllers, is there any way to get them working with my PC?

If your PC can handle it (the optimization is great, so any decent PC rig should be able to) then the PC version of DMC4 is superior in every way possible.

Turbo Mode
Better graphics
Faster framerate
Community Mods (which should spice up Dante's segment)
29.99 price tag
Controller option a must

FoxSpirit

bee said:
goto these locations and manually change it

XP
C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Local Settings\Application Data\capcom\DEVILMAYCRY4_TRIAL

vista
C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\CAPCOM\DEVILMAYCRY4_TRIAL

or try changing the refresh rate in the settings to 59hz or 60hz, my 1080p tv would only allow certain resolutions at either refresh rate for some reason

Strange, there is no config file on my machine o_O

C- Warrior said:
If your PC can handle it (the optimization is great, so any decent PC rig should be able to) then the PC version of DMC4 is superior in every way possible.

Turbo Mode
Better graphics
Faster framerate
Community Mods (which should spice up Dante's segment)
29.99 price tag
Controller option a must

the console versions ran at 60 with no slowdown. why do you need anything faster than that? nevermind that most monitors won't go beyond 60hz, the human eye won't perceive any difference above 60.

Minsc

Gold Member
akachan ningen said:
the console versions ran at 60 with no slowdown. why do you need anything faster than that? nevermind that most monitors won't go beyond 60hz, the human eye won't perceive any difference above 60.

Entirely not true. If you have a CRT that can handle 85 or 100 or even higher, the difference is noticeable; in fact there are simple 3D apps made to illustrate it.

Those higher frame rates are most apparent when turning very fast.

Amarox

akachan ningen said:
The Human eye can perceive over 100fps. Although, I agree that 60fps is enough.

Minsc said:
Entirely not true. If you have a CRT that can handle 85 or 100 or even higher, the difference is noticeable; in fact there are simple 3D apps made to illustrate it.

Those higher frame rates are most apparent when turning very fast.

Who uses crt monitors anymore?

Haunted

You can feel the PC gaming love in this thread. Very enjoyable.

Vormund said:
Despite what it says there ^ My cpu is OC'd to 3.0Ghz.

Running in DX9 (xp x64) with 2x AA on SLI (I couldn't tell the difference at that res between it and 4x)
:lol you kids and your damn supercomputers these days. good stuff.

FoxSpirit

I get a stable greater than 30FPS with a E440@2.0GHZ (stock) and a stock x1950pro with 2x msaa and everything ultra high. Totally playable and looks AWESOME.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I benchmarked at 'D', but I had a steady 30 fps. :\ I might actually buy it... ;_;

Haunted

Also, a stupid general question: which combo will give the better IQ/picture? 1280x1024 with 4xAA enabled or 1600x1200 w/o any AA? Is there a visible difference?

Basically I'm asking for the trade-off between resolution and enabling AA. When does it work, when is it useless to do so? And which is more taxing on the framerate?

"Also, a stupid general question: which combo will give the better IQ/picture? 1280x1024 with 4xAA enabled or 1600x1200 w/o any AA? Is there a visible difference?

Basically I'm asking for the trade-off between resolution and enabling AA. When does it work, when is it useless to do so? And which is more taxing on the framerate?"

What is the native res for your monitor? Personally I find it more annoying to have the little bit of blur from the scaling than not having AA to get rid of potential jaggies. It's kind of a preference thing I suppose but I would do which ever is your native and if 1280x1024 is your native that with 4xAA would look nicer probably.

Haunted

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
"Also, a stupid general question: which combo will give the better IQ/picture? 1280x1024 with 4xAA enabled or 1600x1200 w/o any AA? Is there a visible difference?

Basically I'm asking for the trade-off between resolution and enabling AA. When does it work, when is it useless to do so? And which is more taxing on the framerate?"

What is the native res for your monitor? Personally I find it more annoying to have the little bit of blur from the scaling than not having AA to get rid of potential jaggies. It's kind of a preference thing I suppose but I would do which ever is your native and if 1280x1024 is your native that with 4xAA would look nicer probably.
Yeah, I tried going even lower with max AA and definitely noticed that it didn't look as clean, it was a bit blurrier.

Makes sense - I think I'll go with my native res. Thanks. :)

Vormund

Haunted One said:
You can feel the PC gaming love in this thread. Very enjoyable.

:lol you kids and your damn supercomputers these days. good stuff.

:D

Same settings as last time (Super High) but with 8x AA:
Rank8x.JPG

btw forgot to mention, for those with SLI I found Alternate Frame Rendering 2 worked best.

Wow, big framerate difference between dx9 and dx10 for me. Almost 30fps difference...

"btw forgot to mention, for those with SLI I found Alternate Frame Rendering 2 worked best."

Where is that in the options menu? I can't seem to find it. :/

Vormund

It's not an in game setting.

Nvidia control panel>Manage 3d Settings>Program settings tab>Select the game and the options are below.

"It's not an in game setting.

Nvidia control panel>Manage 3d Settings>Program settings tab>Select the game and the options are below."

Ah, ok. Thanks I'll try that out then. :)

Edit: Holy shit that gave me an almost 20fps boost in dx10 mode. Nice!

Integra

Neo Member
interesting. I didn't know this was out for PC. either way, something I'll look into once I have enough time to download it.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
akachan ningen said:

There was lots of slowdown on both my PS3 and 360 version during the forest level.

Top Bottom