• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DMC4's difficulty -- the moment of truth. Checkpoint system. Yes, no?

Dahbomb

This is how the 6 difficulty levels will be playing out:

1) Very Easy mode - Unlocked if you perform very shittily on Human mode. Not actually confirmed but I would think that there is a difficulty level even below Human mode where enemies die in like 2 hits and you can play in Automatic mode.

2) Human mode - This is technically Easy mode without being TOO easy. It's basically the "Play this mode to get the epic badassery of DMC4 without the hurt". It's the difficulty of choice for newcomers.

3) Devil Hunter mode - For all intent and purposes this is what I believe the Normal mode is in DMC4. Not too hard, not too easy but will require some skill. I would think it's similar to DMC1's difficulty and more balanced. Obviously easier than DMC3's Normal.

4) Hard Mode - This mode will be giving players a run for their money and when they will start sweating. Expect reasonable skill entry for this type.

5) DMD mode - Shit will start to hit the fan, enemies with DT and they will not die too easily. You will take shits loads of damage. Classic DMC hardest difficulty mode.

6) Final Difficulty mode - Kobayashi has confirmed this to be in existence and I think the name is somewhere along the line "King of Hell". Basically... DMC4 at it's hardest and even the hardcore will cringe at this.

This right here, with 6 difficulties, caters to everyone. I don't think Capcom could've done it any better than this mode.

Game difficulty and fucking retarded save systems are two entirely different things IMO.

I enjoy a challenging game. I more so enjoy a challenging game I can take a break from when I choose and not lose any progress.

Narcosis

Dahbomb said:
6) Final Difficulty mode - Kobayashi has confirmed this to be in existence and I think the name is somewhere along the line "King of Hell". Basically... DMC4 at it's hardest and even the hardcore will cringe at this.

I want now

Dahbomb said:

1) Very Easy mode - Unlocked if you perform very shittily on Human mode. Not actually confirmed but I would think that there is a difficulty level even below Human mode where enemies die in like 2 hits and you can play in Automatic mode.

2) Human mode - This is technically Easy mode without being TOO easy. It's basically the "Play this mode to get the epic badassery of DMC4 without the hurt". It's the difficulty of choice for newcomers.

3) Devil Hunter mode - For all intent and purposes this is what I believe the Normal mode is in DMC4. Not too hard, not too easy but will require some skill. I would think it's similar to DMC1's difficulty and more balanced. Obviously easier than DMC3's Normal.

4) Hard Mode - This mode will be giving players a run for their money and when they will start sweating. Expect reasonable skill entry for this type.

5) DMD mode - Shit will start to hit the fan, enemies with DT and they will not die too easily. You will take shits loads of damage. Classic DMC hardest difficulty mode.

This right here, with 6 difficulties, caters to everyone. I don't think Capcom could've done it any better than this mode.
About 'King of Hell' - I believe he mentioned this when asked about Heaven or Hell difficulty, and said there wouldn't be HoH but there'd be KoH and it'd be much harder. My guess, though it sounds utterly nightmarish, is that you die in one hit but enemies don't.

Also,
Wasn't Mundus the King of Hell? And judging by the statue thing, it's possible that Vergil is the new King of Hell or something?

Dahbomb

Yes you are right, this isn't a HOH clone this is a genuine difficulty.

The "King of Hell" reference is to DMC1, when you COMPLETELY S rank a difficulty you get this picture of all the demons declaring your King of Hell. Now there is a specific difficulty named after that little picture.

WHOAguitarninja said:
Then play SE. It has checkpoints throughout the levels that refill your health when you die. I have yet to actually use any healing item, something I could never have dreamed of in the original DMC3. For purists it also allows you to disable the checkpoint system.

I dunno, SE kind of broke the game if you ask me. The designers obviously balanced the difficulty based on the brutal checkpoint system of the original, so when they didn't bother to tune SE for endless restarts it essentially exposed the design and made it a cakewalk. There wasn't any solid middle ground between DMC3 or SE imo.

I'm hoping DMC4 is more balanced. Having mid level checkpoints is a good sign they'll have things tuned properly.

Decado

WTF do developers make difficulty levels unlockable? I won't buy the game if you have to finish it once (wasting hours and hours of your time) in order to unlock a difficulty levels to make the game actually enjoyable.

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
I dunno, SE kind of broke the game if you ask me. The designers obviously balanced the difficulty based on the brutal checkpoint system of the original, so when they didn't bother to tune SE for endless restarts it essentially exposed the design and made it a cakewalk. There wasn't any solid middle ground between DMC3 or SE imo.

I'm hoping DMC4 is more balanced. Having mid level checkpoints is a good sign they'll have things tuned properly.
The brutal check point system was dreamed up by capcom USA, the "new" system is the SE was the original system, but Capcom USA with their typical brilliance thought to change that... in other words the game was never tuned to the brutal system as you say.

Pachinko

Games should have difficulty levels that run the gamut from being easy enough for ANYONE to play through and hard modes for masochists that like to play games without getting touched once while throwing out mad combo skills.

Basically the default difficulty for devil may cry 2 should be very easy mode in DMC4 . I actually found the game TOO easy but for some that just want to play the game to see pretty graphics and a grander storyline you can go through it for that. The thing is though , the game should have adaptive difficulty, you start a new game and it puts the game in normal mode, if you die 3 times at any single room/encounter/boss it'll ask if you want to lower the difficulty if you pick yes it'll start you at the nearest checkpoint with the game on easy mode, enemies do less damage, there are less of them and they go down with fewer hits, if you still get stuck dying 3 times in a room or whatever it'd ask again if you want to lower the difficulty down to the easiest setting , if you click yes you'd start right where you died , have unlimited lives , guns would be locked to easy auto and items would remain the same low price for the entire game. To up the difficulty again you'd simply have to clear a stage without getting a game over and the same would apply to normal , you'd play stage 1 on normal and if you cleared it without dying you could open up hard mode and if you beat stage 2 on hard without dying you open up very hard. Finishing the game with lots of deaths would still open up the next difficulty level as well. You'd simply have to beat it.

As for yellow orbs, in standard dmc3 they were worthless because while using 1 did allow you to continue at a boss encounter it didn't keep the items you had going into the boss room so if you'd used them up you were forced to go back to that old save file and play the entire stage again. I never really messed around with DMC3 SE much but it's my understanding they had proper yellow orbs, ones that simply restored you to full health upon death so you could continue whittling down a boss. If ninja gaiden didn't have those resurrection talismans I don't think I would have beaten it so those are definetly better items.

Dahbomb

Decado said:
WTF do developers make difficulty levels unlockable? I won't buy the game if you have to finish it once (wasting hours and hours of your time) in order to unlock a difficulty levels to make the game actually enjoyable.
The game is plenty enjoyable on Devil Hunter. Besides, there will be a code to unlock all difficulties in DMC4 like DMC3 did.

However as far as DMC is concerned, you would be at a disadvantage if you play on something like DMD from the get go. DMC is a game that centers largely around carry over stats to new difficulties so if you play a Hard difficulty setting in a DMC game without msot of your equipment you will get massacred. That is why I keep stressing the importance of playing DMC once through and then playing it once or twice through again with ALL of your moves/weapons for an almost different kind of experience. Fighting Cerberus with A&R on V. Hard mode in DMC3 was really gratifying, A&R was made for the sole purpose of butt raping Cerberus. Every move was designed that way.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Kind of lucky I don't find these difficult at all. So I don't have to worry about them making it too hard, My worry is making it too easy. But that doesn't seem to be the case with that one comment. Day one Purchase...My first of this gen.

And if it is anything like DMC3. You will probably have to play through 2 to 3 times with each character to get all the skills and stuff. I'm just taking a guess since that how it was with DMC3 with Dante, And I don't expect Nero to be as short of a level up as Vergil was.

Mefisutoferesu said:
The brutal check point system was dreamed up by capcom USA, the "new" system is the SE was the original system, but Capcom USA with their typical brilliance thought to change that... in other words the game was never tuned to the brutal system as you say.

I'm assuming you've played SE. You're telling me the new save system didn't feel tacked on?
Like WHOAguitarninja said, I can't remember even bothering with healing items that often in SE (on hard mode). I rather doubt that was intended in the design, original idea or no.

Dahbomb

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
I'm assuming you've played SE. You're telling me the new save system didn't feel tacked on?

Like WHOAguitarninja said, I can't remember even bothering with healing items that often in SE (on hard mode). I rather doubt that was intended in the design, original idea or no.
The guy is right, the SE checkpoint and difficulty system was in the ORIGINAL Japanese version. It was tweaked for the US version with the removal of the Gold orbs and the inclusion of Yellow orbs as checkpoints just like DMC1.

The reason why it felt "tacked on" was because A) You had already played DMC3 before SE and B) The Normal in SE is actually Easy on the regular version. Besides, items are never meant to be used in DMC to begin with... the items are just temporary crutches at best and limit your ranking substantially.

Kittonwy

Banned
Dahbomb said:

Way too many modes. I'm not sure I like the idea of beating hard, then DMD and THEN another damn difficulty mode just for that bragging right. Normal should be accessible, they don't need very easy to appeal to people who can't play anything unless it's completely watered down, easy/normal/hard/dmd should be more than enough.

Checkpoints are definitely necessary, especially right before a boss. If you lose to a boss, you should pretty much be able to try again immediately. You should never have to play through the level again. I seem to remember making a thread about this, actually.

As for Yellow Orbs, they aren't really a good solution. They're way too expensive, and you should be putting those red orbs into acquiring more skills and health, not buying continues.

Dahbomb said:
A) You had already played DMC3 before SE and B) The Normal in SE is actually Easy on the regular version.

Fwiw SE was actually my first crack at the game, and I started on hard mode (using the unlock code). But I'll concede the point. ;)

vertopci

MickeyKnox said:
I'm not completely unreasonable, all I demand is that I can pop the game in and have a DMC3 normal difficulty available to me from the start. I don't care whether or not there is an easier mode, but don't fucking force me to play through a stupidly easy campaign just to get to the harder difficulties.

Agreed.

Dahbomb

Kittonwy said:
Way too many modes. I'm not sure I like the idea of beating hard, then DMD and THEN another damn difficulty mode just for that bragging right. Normal should be accessible, they don't need very easy to appeal to people who can't play anything unless it's completely watered down, easy/normal/hard/dmd should be more than enough.
Only the people playing DMC3SE had the same experience:

Easy -> Normal -> Hard -> V. Hard -> DMD -> HOH

There were always 3+ difficuties to play after Normal mode only now HOH is replaced by an ACTUAL DIFFICULTY mode. HOH is a joke difficulty in all aspects, completely unbalanced and broken. Besides technically you still need to play less difficulties to get to the final difficulty in DMC4 because you can start off with Devil Hunter mode.

Devil Hunter -> Hard -> DMD -> King of Hell

I can't wait for the look on some people's face when they think they are done with DMC after beating DMD only to be hit with another more difficult mode. :D It's what the fans have been asking all this time.

The Jer

The yellow orb and save system from DMC1 was stupid. Sure you could use yellow orbs and save yellow orbs for when you need them. But, if you saved the yellow orbs, you had to use it and then reset and then load and then go back to the begining of the mission. There should have just been an option to re-start the mission without using a yellow orb. The whole having to reset and load the game again thing was stupid. If you used all your yellow orbs up, you were given the option to start at the begining of the mission. However, it was a good idea to save yellow orbs for those time when you were by a boss and didn't want to go through the whole level before trying again. The whole system was ridiculous.

The gold system in DMC3 SE worked fine. If you died you re-started outside the room you died in. This was cool. And the yellow orb started you directly from the spot you died at. I didn't really want to play like this, so I just didn't use the yellow orbs (didn't use items at all in DMC 3, except blue and purple orbs to increase max health and devil trigger). This was a better system overall and could fit everyone's taste. Hey, if you wanted to reset and start all over, you could do that.

And DMC1 is much, much harder. DMC3 isn't all that hard.

Rezbit

People might call me weaksauce, but I'm glad the difficulty/checkpoint system has been revamped. As I get older, the more I find I get frustrated if it takes me more than a couple of tries to beat a boss. Happened with DMC3, I got up to some hard dudes (?) and just couldn't beat them, so I had to stop playing.

MickeyKnox said:
I'm not completely unreasonable, all I demand is that I can pop the game in and have a DMC3 normal difficulty available to me from the start. I don't care whether or not there is an easier mode, but don't fucking force me to play through a stupidly easy campaign just to get to the harder difficulties.

Oh man, does that ever piss me off. I hope the game has all difficulties unlocked from the beginning.
edit: read the rest of the thread. I'm happy with the approach they're taking.

Top Bottom