• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do all IPS monitors have bad viewing angles? (brightness variation)

Larxia

Hello everyone, I made this thread to ask some questions about PC monitors, because I'm currently very confused.

I'm looking to replace my very old monitor from 2010, a 23" 1080p 60hz TN tv monitor. Something super old and basic. I didn't have to complain about it for the longest time honestly, but it started having an issue with a brightness line in the middle.

It's not actually the first time I'm trying to replace it however, I was curious to change for an upgrade already years ago, but only had bad experience, and today, this happened again.

I bought the Koorui 24E3, I wanted to get something not expensive because I was only aiming at 24" 1080p, not really ready to change my gpu yet (GTX 1080), and the result is terrible.
The monitor had great reviews, but when I tried it, it was an instant disappointment. The viewing angles are attrocious.

The monitor as a whole feels very dark, but also bright at the same time, it's hard to describe but it feels like some gamma issue, and especially at certain angles. The top of the screen is much brighter than the bottom, if I'm reading a thread on neogaf in dark mode, the messages at the top of the screen are much more comfortable to read than the ones at the bottom for example, because the lower part of the screen feels like it's covered by some weird... layer of bad gamma?
The monitor only looks more natural if I look at it from below for some reason, if my eyes are at the level of the very bottom of the screen, there the brightness looks more uniform and stable, but if I'm in front of it or slightly above, it's a disaster.

It's an IPS monitor, and I always heard IPS monitors had great viewing angles, but right now, this has MUCH WORSE viewing angles than my TN monitor which looks perfectly fine at much wider angles.
What worries me is that I also tried another IPS monitor several years ago, the a Acer Predator XB271HU, which was much more expensive, and it had a similar issue, it wasn't as dark, but the viewing angles were still bad, the brightness shifted a lot and the monitor only looked fine when looking at it from below, thefore I'm wondering... is this a problem with all IPS Monitors?

I'm very confused since IPS are known for their good viewing angles, and I can't imagine that most people use a monitor that looks like what I have in front of me right now, it's really too bad.

At this point I don't know what else to get. I'm not even looking for anything crazy at all, I just want a 1080p 24" monitor with a normal looking image :messenger_neutral:
The maximum size I would be ready to go to would be 27" but not anything bigger, but at 27" I'll need to switch to 1440p, which will happen at some point but wasn't my priority now with my aging gpu.

Anyway, I'm curious to hear people thoughts about this, thanks.

Aces High

No, it differs from monitor to monitor.

I have two Asus ProArt IPS monitors at home both with amazing viewing angles

At work I have a 1,000 dollar Dell 4k IPS (don't know the exact name) which has really bad viewing angles. Almost like TN. I don't like this monitor, but the guy from purchasing always says it's got great reviews etc.

My coworker has a 200 dollar Viewsonic WQHD IPS monitor with much better viewing angles than the Dell.

Last edited:

Larxia

IPS is shit tech. Can't wait for OLED to completely replace it everywhere.
The problem is that VA doesn't seem to be really better either, with different issues. So it's really a "pick your poison" type of thing it seems.
OLED is still super expensive, especially for such sizes compared to TVs.

Last edited:

Larxia

No, it differs from monitor to monitor.

I have two Asus ProArt IPS monitors at home both with amazing viewing angles

At work I have a 1,000 dollar Dell 4k IPS (don't know the exact name) which has really bad viewing angles. Almost like TN. I don't like this monitor, but the guy from purchasing always says it's got great reviews etc.

My coworker has a 200 dollar Viewsonic WQHD IPS monitor with much better viewing angles than the Dell.
Are the Asus ProArt decent for games? I just looked at them, they apparently have very good colors and it's not as expensive as I would have imagined. I don't care so much for high refresh rate, although I want for my monitor to run 60hz (60fps games) perfectly fine.

Oof the price :messenger_grinning_sweat: And I think 32" would be too big for me, but thanks for the recommendation anyway.

Last edited:

Aces High

Are the Asus ProArt decent for games? I just looked at them, they apparently have very good colors and it's not as expensive as I would have imagined. I don't care so much for high refresh rate, although I want for my monitor to run 60hz (60fps games) perfectly fine.

Oof the price :messenger_grinning_sweat: And I think 32" would be too big for me, but thanks for the recommendation anyway.
Yes great for games. But expensive.

Elysium44

Banned
I bought the Koorui 24E3, I wanted to get something not expensive because I was only aiming at 24" 1080p, not really ready to change my gpu yet (GTX 1080), and the result is terrible.
The monitor had great reviews, but when I tried it, it was an instant disappointment. The viewing angles are attrocious.

I just had a quick look and it's a budget monitor from a name nobody has heard of, which has plenty of poor reviews. It sounds like a case of buy cheap, buy twice.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No.
There are rare dual layer ips or some shit but for all intent and purpose, all consumer and gaming ips are the same.
The only difference being IPS bleeding - which is a manufacturer defect.
IPS glow on the other hand is entirely normal and expected.

To check which is which:
Turn screen to 100 nits or lower
Put on black wallpaper
move away 2 meters from the screen
look at it LEVELED
If you still see any corner or pinching points - thats ips bleed = bad.

That works because IPS glow is not visible from distance (because of angle).
You can absolutely get good IPS. I had lg 27uk650 and I had pristine panel and ips glow was almost not visible from a good sitting position

tl;dr get oled. Not monitor. These oleds kinda suck. 42-48" lg c1-c2 is better and cheaper

Last edited:

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
The problem is that VA doesn't seem to be really better either, with different issues. So it's really a "pick your poison" type of thing it seems.
OLED is still super expensive, especially for such sizes compared to TVs.
Pretty much. Even on newest mini-led VA panels viewing angles are so shit that it makes me return to good IPS back despite obvious contrast advantages.

Zuzu

My iMac's 5k screen has good viewing angles. In fact it's the best ips screen I've ever seen by a fair degree. I'm sure the studio display is even better. But they're niche screens and irrelevant to what you want.

Last edited:

Larxia

I just had a quick look and it's a budget monitor from a name nobody has heard of, which has plenty of poor reviews. It sounds like a case of buy cheap, buy twice.
Hm I only saw good reviews from it, both written and video, so I don't know. But I had the same issue on the 650$ Acer predator I bought few years back, which is why I'm wondering if it's something present on all IPS monitors.
tl;dr get oled. Not monitor. These oleds kinda suck. 42-48" lg c1-c2 is better and cheaper
These sizes are really too big for me, 27" is really the max I would go to (I have some eyesight / glasses issues that would make such large screen really not comfortable for me).
Yes great for games. But expensive.
These ones aren't particularly expensive, are there different tiers of quality in the proarts?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Hm I only saw good reviews from it, both written and video, so I don't know. But I had the same issue on the 650$ Acer predator I bought few years back, which is why I'm wondering if it's something present on all IPS monitors.

These sizes are really too big for me, 27" is really the max I would go to (I have some eyesight / glasses issues that would make such large screen really not comfortable for me).

These ones aren't particularly expensive, are there different tiers of quality in the proarts?

that's understandable.
I am shortsighted so huge screen is working well for me

Larxia

that's understandable.
I am shortsighted so huge screen is working well for me
I am nearsighted too (-4,50), but glasses give me distortion and chromatic aberration on the sides, which are even more noticeable on a large screen, therefore I'm using a lowered prescription when I'm on a computer to reduce these effects and make it less tiring, but then on a too large screen I would see blurry on the edge :messenger_weary: So a screen this huge just doesn't work for me no matter the situation.
But I'm also pretty sure I wouldn't like something this big even if I had a perfect vision, it would make it harder for me to be focused in games.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am nearsighted too (-4,50), but glasses give me distortion and chromatic aberration on the sides, which are even more noticeable on a large screen, therefore I'm using a lowered prescription when I'm on a computer to reduce these effects and make it less tiring, but then on a too large screen I would see blurry on the edge :messenger_weary: So a screen this huge just doesn't work for me no matter the situation.
But I'm also pretty sure I wouldn't like something this big even if I had a perfect vision, it would make it harder for me to be focused in games.
that's a lot.
I have -1.5 (or -2) and I don't wear glasses because I dont like to...

Larxia

that's a lot.
I have -1.5 (or -2) and I don't wear glasses because I dont like to...
I really wish I didn't need to wear glasses in front of my computer :messenger_crying: At -1,5 even when wearing glasses the side effects (aberration, distortion) aren't that noticeable. Don't you see some blur though at -1,5 or -2 without using any glasses?? With a myopia at this level, your clear vision distance is between 50 and 70 cm, so depending on the distance from the screen, you probably have some amount of blur.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I really wish I didn't need to wear glasses in front of my computer :messenger_crying: At -1,5 even when wearing glasses the side effects (aberration, distortion) aren't that noticeable. Don't you see some blur though at -1,5 or -2 without using any glasses?? With a myopia at this level, your clear vision distance is between 50 and 70 cm, so depending on the distance from the screen, you probably have some amount of blur.
yeah my eyesight is bad. But it's fine for desk distance screen. I have 48" but 42" would be still fine.
I use only 150% scaling at 4k which is not too bad. Of course if I lean way back with controller, small text is an issue.

What my eyesight is not good for is vr ;/ I also have astigmatism in 1 eye (90 degree or something) and this also is a bit of a problem in vr I think.
usually when I have vr, I just get contact lenses from supermarket lol and they work alright. it's like 5$ for 1 month. Only problem with these is astigmatism but whatever.

Oculus headsets vr have focal point at about 1.5meters and it was usually mostly fine for me but psvr2 has focus on infinity I think... it's really blurry ;/

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
IPS is still the best option until the newer tech becomes ubiquitous and more affordable.

VA was meant for TV & Movies not fast moving video games.

Larxia

yeah my eyesight is bad. But it's fine for desk distance screen. I have 48" but 42" would be still fine.
I use only 150% scaling at 4k which is not too bad. Of course if I lean way back with controller, small text is an issue.

What my eyesight is not good for is vr ;/ I also have astigmatism in 1 eye (90 degree or something) and this also is a bit of a problem in vr I think.
usually when I have vr, I just get contact lenses from supermarket lol and they work alright. it's like 5$ for 1 month. Only problem with these is astigmatism but whatever.

Oculus headsets vr have focal point at about 1.5meters and it was usually mostly fine for me but psvr2 has focus on infinity I think... it's really blurry ;/
It's interesting to hear more about your setups, I've always seen you diss at small size monitors and it always confused me :messenger_tears_of_joy: So it's cool to talk about it and hear more about the reasoning behind it. I do think however that you would see better if you used a smaller screen from a closer distance, because even if you use a huge monitor, while text might readable, you still won't see the screen like how you're supposed to, you won't see the precision of pixels, but that's you and you're probably way too used to huge monitors to ever go back by now lol. So what works best for you, what you feel the best with, is the best pick really, which is also why I have some specific things in mind for the monitor I want, and it's more on the smaller size for me.

I have never tried VR, but I have always wondered / been scared about the vision issue yeah. For me it would most likely be completely blurry.
The "funny" thing is that VR headsets do include lenses that push the images further in the distance (+ lenses), so the "focal plane" isn't 10 cm away from your eyes, because that wouldn't work for people with good vision, so it's pushed back to focus on a picture that's about 2 meters away or something I think, but for me it would be better without this :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I hope one day all VR headsets will come with a setting to change the focal plane, like you would do with binoculars, so you can adjust it to any type of eyesight on the fly.

5$ for 1 month eye contacts??? I've never seen any that cheap. I wear contacts sometimes, but I'm mostly fine with them outside, if I wear them in front of my computer they feel awful.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's interesting to hear more about your setups, I've always seen you diss at small size monitors and it always confused me :messenger_tears_of_joy: So it's cool to talk about it and hear more about the reasoning behind it. I do think however that you would see better if you used a smaller screen from a closer distance, because even if you use a huge monitor, while text might readable, you still won't see the screen like how you're supposed to, you won't see the precision of pixels, but that's you and you're probably way too used to huge monitors to ever go back by now lol. So what works best for you, what you feel the best with, is the best pick really, which is also why I have some specific things in mind for the monitor I want, and it's more on the smaller size for me.

I have never tried VR, but I have always wondered / been scared about the vision issue yeah. For me it would most likely be completely blurry.
The "funny" thing is that VR headsets do include lenses that push the images further in the distance (+ lenses), so the "focal plane" isn't 10 cm away from your eyes, because that wouldn't work for people with good vision, so it's pushed back to focus on a picture that's about 2 meters away or something I think, but for me it would be better without this :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I hope one day all VR headsets will come with a setting to change the focal plane, like you would do with binoculars, so you can adjust it to any type of eyesight on the fly.

5$ for 1 month eye contacts??? I've never seen any that cheap. I wear contacts sometimes, but I'm mostly fine with them outside, if I wear them in front of my computer they feel awful.
Yeah Rossmann here got extremely cheap contacts. I wore some for 2-3 months because I wanted to check it out. No prescription or anything.
By the end of the day though, it was getting a bit dry, so that's the cheapness I guess.

As for my "monitor size". When I had 24 and 27, I was slouching over it a bit more. I like playing with controller, so slouching in my stupid bad secretlab chair is just comfortable.
I do would consider downsizing to 42" with next purchase. 32" is realistically fine too so maybe in the future but let's not cheat ourselves. You can never downsize :p

Larxia

Yeah Rossmann here got extremely cheap contacts. I wore some for 2-3 months because I wanted to check it out. No prescription or anything.
By the end of the day though, it was getting a bit dry, so that's the cheapness I guess.

As for my "monitor size". When I had 24 and 27, I was slouching over it a bit more. I like playing with controller, so slouching in my stupid bad secretlab chair is just comfortable.
I do would consider downsizing to 42" with next purchase. 32" is realistically fine too so maybe in the future but let's not cheat ourselves. You can never downsize :p
Even with the best contact brands, my eyes started to feel tired and dry after just a few hours, so I think it depends also a lot on the person too.

About the monitor, well I play a lot of games with keyboard and mouse as I find that more comfortable ergonomically wise (keyboard shortcuts, camera speed etc) in many games, so yeah, different experiences. I do play plenty of games with controller too, but definitely not everything.

Larxia

Another thing I'm confused about is with TN monitors. I always hear that they have very bad viewing angles, and every video I see showing the problem look like stuff I've only seen on laptops.
My old monitor is a 23" TN and it doesn't have this issue at all, it looks almost identical everywhere, there's only if you look at it from below that it will start looking dark :

(sorry for the bad quality, recordedwith an old phone lol)

While most comparisons I see online are showing completely distorted colors.

So I'm not sure what's up with this too.

Top Bottom