• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do-da do-da do-do-do-do do-do-do! Daytona USA coming to XBLA / PSN?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Trojan X said:
Spot on! To help further. If SEGA is thinking of giving us this version of Daytona then they NEED to make sure there is an option the option screen to either use the graphical revamp version or the absolutely original Model 2 version with all the clipping and everything that made it so damn special.
Graphical revamp? I'm just talking about the differences between the Model 2 releases.

In the 1993 version, car #7 (the slowest car on the track) had a very high tendency to just spontaneously spin out whenever you lapped him. This often led to chaos on the Beginner track because it would almost assuredly lead to a pile-up.

The 1994 version added multiplayer and changed the HUD, but it toned down the erratic AI as well.

Degen

Q: why did the chicken cross the road
A: I WANNA FLYYYYYYY SKY HIIIIIIIIGH LET'S GOOOOOO TOGETHAAAAAAA

Q: what do you get when you cross an elephant with a doorknob
A: I WANNA FLYYYYYYY SKY HIIIIIIIIGH LET'S GOOOOOO TOGETHAAAAAAA

Q: DAAAAYTOOOONAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
A: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Trojan X

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
Graphical revamp? I'm just talking about the differences between the Model 2 releases.

In the 1993 version, car #7 (the slowest car on the track) had a very high tendency to just spontaneously spin out whenever you lapped him. This often led to chaos on the Beginner track because it would almost assuredly lead to a pile-up.

The 1994 version added multiplayer and changed the HUD, but it toned down the erratic AI as well.

Yes, I know what you were talking about. I was just adding further.

inner-G

Banned
_dementia said:
Never played a Daytona game. Are they any good?
I bought it about a month ago (dreamcast version) for the first time, and I think it kind of sucks.

Graphics/sound are ok but the gameplay and controls are not that great imo.

Trojan X

Banned
Morn said:
Am2 collection of arcade perfect ports on Xbox 360 and PS3.

Sega, why do you not want my money?

When I talk about SEGA I just get even more angry and upset with them. That's old passion for you... *sigh.

Weirdly this was re-released in the arcades a couple of years ago, but it had lost the Daytona name. Would be so badass to get it on PSN, Daytona USA is one of my favourite games of all time.

Daytona USA is THE greatest arcade game of all time. Daytona USA cabinets can still be easily found despite the death of the arcade and are still frequently played. I don't think that can be said of any other arcade game, let alone one from the first half of the 90's!

Back in 94 this game destroyed my 10 year old mind. Going from playing Doom to seeing Daytona at the arcade... unbelievable.

The only versions I own are the original for the Saturn, as well as the Circuit Edition for the same console. Even with all it's faults, I always preferred the original. But of course, playing the Daytona 2 arcade cabinet blew both out of the water. But it's been years.

Trojan X

Banned
KennyLinder said:
Weirdly this was re-released in the arcades a couple of years ago, but it had lost the Daytona name. Would be so badass to get it on PSN, Daytona USA is one of my favourite games of all time.

SEGA RACING CLASSIC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlEjJJiX0hE

SegaRacing_1.jpg

I've played this game a few times and I can confirm that the 777 speedway and Dinosaur Canyon does NOT have the original music. It's unbelievable that the 777 Speedway doesn't have the original arcade Rolling Start song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoggCneZHnk), not because its such a perfect "put you on the edge of your seat" type music track, it doesn't make sense to change it because the song has NO LYRICS, i.e. it doesn't mention DAYTONA anywhere.

Trojan X

Banned
SovietStriker said:
You can have your arcade perfect port. But I need the Saturn perfect music

For instance
Sky High Arcade Version (crap, especially at 30 seconds when the guys voice kicks in)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsFWWZAN5Nk

Sky High Saturn Version (gold, better sounding and the vocals are good)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a14tqUAswZU

I'm loving all the DAYTONA passions that I am seeing in this thread.

Gosh, I remember when SEGA ZONE use to be around here in my local area. When I use to go to College/High-School, I saw lots of girls destroying the EXPERT course in an 8 players hardcore to the finish line frenzy! It was one of the most awesome things I've ever seen on Daytona and they were girls playing the game... GIRLS!!!

That goes to show how accessible, exciting, popular and gritty Daytona really is! Not was... IS!

Superfrog

FINALLY. Even if this is "only" the Dreamcast version in HD (
and running at locked 60 fps
), I'll be a very happy man.

S0L, please confirm! :)

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Poimandres said:
Daytona USA is THE greatest arcade game of all time. Daytona USA cabinets can still be easily found despite the death of the arcade and are still frequently played. I don't think that can be said of any other arcade game, let alone one from the first half of the 90's!
Ms. Pac-Man is the only arcade game I can think of that likely has a greater legacy in North America.

Back in 94 this game destroyed my 10 year old mind. Going from playing Doom to seeing Daytona at the arcade... unbelievable.
After I'd run out of money, I'd usually stick around for a few minutes just watching the demo, split across 8 huge monitors. I don't know if it's possible to convey how much of a presence this game carried in the mid-nineties. That display would take up an entire wall of the arcade.

I had a rivalry with a local arcade operator that was alive and well up until even a couple years ago back when the M2 emulator was making some news. I need to head back there sometime and see if I'm still holding my records.

Took this a while back.

SEGA Dreamcast by plovell1978, on Flickr

Daytona USA means so much to me, it really is one of the best videogames of all time. It will be awesome if this news is true. I am actually very surprised because Sega didn't have the Daytona name anymore (which is why the arcade reissue got changed). After playing the Dreamcast version so much at home, going back to the original Arcade looks might be tough. Hey, maybe they've done a decent job of HD'ing it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Phonomezer said:
G-A-M-E-O-voo-E-R

G.A.M.E.O.voo.E.R

gameovergameovergameovergameruiehf243r
This always made me laugh. :lol

Trojan X said:
Gosh, I remember when SEGA ZONE use to be around here in my local area. When I use to go to College/High-School, I saw lots of girls destroying the EXPERT course in an 8 players hardcore to the finish line frenzy! It was one of the most awesome things I've ever seen on Daytona and they were girls playing the game... GIRLS!!!

That goes to show how accessible, exciting, popular and gritty Daytona really is! Not was... IS!
As much as I like Daytona, that's racing games in general. I don't play a lot of them because, well, motion sickness. But a lot of my [female] friends (even if they aren't into gaming at all) can get into racing games because they are generally easy to pick up and play. At least, in my experience they are.

Sixfortyfive said:
I don't know if it's possible to convey how much of a presence this game carried in the mid-nineties.

This.

It was the reason I bought a Saturn at EU launch-day.

But still, this fact alone can't explain how devastating was this game for a little gamer (I was 10 at the time): the first glimpse I got was from a gaming magazine; the new generation of consoles was about to start, and they had a special about the upcoming Sega Saturn.

As a Megadrive owner, of course I wanted one. But alongside pictures of the console itself, there were many little screenshots of a racing game, unbelievably realistic, colorful and alive (arcade version, of course). I knew nothing about Daytona USA back then. Neither had I any knowledge of the launch line-up for Sega's new console. But that day I swore that game had to be mine, no matter what. Little kids and their delusion, you know.

It was mind-blowing. Much more than anything else I had ever witnessed.

Man I never knew so many other people would be hyped for this. I thought I was one of the few who still loved this game.

Even now an arcade near me has a dual cabinet and I cant resist going on it just to grab the leaderboard top spot, haha the previous times were probably set by kids but who cares..

The first time I ever saw it I remember being floored by not only the textured polygons, but it was RUNNING AT 60 FRAMES PER SECOND aswell! I had never seen such voodoo magic before. It was right next to Virtua Fighter and Virtua Racing in the arcade, and it made those look basic to be honest. Unbelievable really.

Beezy

When my brother bought a Saturn back in the day, this, Virtua Fighter, and I think Virtua Cop were packed in. I wasted so much time on this game.

I dunno.
Maybe if it's Daytona 1 & 2(every possible version too, except for 2001. Fuck that game).

Oh and Scud Racer too.

While I'm at it, somebody make up a list of Sega games that never saw console ports. I want all of them in there too.

Also I want a pony, with wings, and it has to be made out of hamburgers.

Still this news is interesting, since not even a week ago I found out that the nearest arcade that had both Daytona 1 and Daytona: Power Edition just closed down.

Trojan X

Banned
Dark Schala said:
This always made me laugh. :lol

As much as I like Daytona, that's racing games in general. I don't play a lot of them because, well, motion sickness. But a lot of my [female] friends (even if they aren't into gaming at all) can get into racing games because they are generally easy to pick up and play. At least, in my experience they are.

Naw dude, totally disagree. Yes, lots of girls play Racing games in the arcade, but when you see a plenty of them kicking butt on the EXPERT course... not beginner, not advance, but getting ridiculous times on EXPERT course and in an 8 players battle, dude that's seriously something to see! I'd love for you to tell me what other game you saw something along those lines in the arcades. Frankly, other than Daytona back then, I have never seen girls do that on any other game. Have you forgotten how tough the Expert course is? You NEED to have a good understanding of the game's mechanics, and I've seen these girls going from 4th, to 1st, then 3rd then back to 4th on some of the ill-less corners. No comparison unless you are a good player.

Trojan X

Banned
metareferential said:
This.

It was the reason I bought a Saturn at EU launch-day.

But still, this fact alone can't explain how devastating was this game for a little gamer (I was 10 at the time): the first glimpse I got was from a gaming magazine; the new generation of consoles was about to start, and they had a special about the upcoming Sega Saturn.

As a Megadrive owner, of course I wanted one. But alongside pictures of the console itself, there were many little screenshots of a racing game, unbelievably realistic, colorful and alive (arcade version, of course). I knew nothing about Daytona USA back then. Neither had I any knowledge of the launch line-up for Sega's new console. But that day I swore that game had to be mine, no matter what. Little kids and their delusion, you know.

It was mind-blowing. Much more than anything else I had ever witnessed.

SegaMagazine.jpg

Do you have any idea just how many people went INSANE when they saw this magazine and discovered Daytona for the first time?

Do you know how nuts I went when I first played Daytona in the arcades?

Do you know how much I lost the plot when I first saw images of Daytona on the SEGA Saturn? I know you know that feeling. :)

GuessWho

KennyLinder said:
Took this a while back.

SEGA Dreamcast by plovell1978, on Flickr

Daytona USA means so much to me, it really is one of the best videogames of all time. It will be awesome if this news is true. I am actually very surprised because Sega didn't have the Daytona name anymore (which is why the arcade reissue got changed). After playing the Dreamcast version so much at home, going back to the original Arcade looks might be tough. Hey, maybe they've done a decent job of HD'ing it.

DC was such a good console. I LOVED it.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Let's see... Bob Seger is finally on iTunes, I saw Scarlett Johansson naked, I nailed a job interview at Best Buy today... and now this.

Best. Week. Ever.
JJD said:
I hope this means we'll eventually get Scud Racer too...

Loved that game!
One problem, though. One of the cars in that game is the Porsche 911 993 GT2, and EA is being a bitch with the Porsche license...

robot

Hope it's not the DC version, the handling felt completely off. Maybe because I was so used to the Saturn version.

Trojan X

Banned
robot said:
Hope it's not the DC version, the handling felt completely off. Maybe because I was so used to the Saturn version.

No you are correct. The handling in Daytona 2001 was completely off from the arcade. In fact, it wasn't taken from the arcade code at all. Daytona on the Saturn was more closer to the arcade than anything.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Oh you guys....

You should win a gold medal for getting ahead of yourselves. I will not FLINCH until I see official confirmation WITH a description of what exactly we're getting.

But there a lot of good quotes in this thread.

mrklaw said:
Will Sega be releasing an official manual gear shifter, with broken spring and dodgy 4th gear?

Its not Daytona unless you can slam it straight from 2nd-4th out of a drift

Precisely the reason why I want it to come to PC, because I already have a shifter that meets those needs :)

Kuran said:
Not to mention emulation has finally made Model 3 games playable with perfect graphics and sound. Scud Race / Daytona 2 / ....

Good times we live in.

Indeed my friend. Supermodel release is right around the corner ;)

Trojan X said:
Not buying that news. Until I actually see everything running perfectly I'll stick to playing this (yes its me playing at 1080P): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ8vXn5pDP8

If this is for real then that will officially be SEGA's FIFTH attempt to bring Daytona in the form that WE all want it to be (Daytona - Sega Saturn, Daytona CE - Sega Saturn, Daytona - PC, Daytona 2001 - Dreamcast). What a joke!

For now, I'll keep on watching this space with low expectations so I won't get hurt again.

This man knows what's up ^^

BruiserBear said:
Give me arcade perfect ports of Daytona 2 and Sega Rally 2 and I'll love you forever Sega.

Patience young Jedi, arcade perfect ports are within our grasps if you have a decent PC. Behold:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCZT3uu7GbU

PetriP-TNT said:
aaaaaah where are my sedatives

They're with me :)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Trojan X said:
Naw dude, totally disagree. Yes, lots of girls play Racing games in the arcade, but when you see a plenty of them kicking butt on the EXPERT course... not beginner, not advance, but getting ridiculous times on EXPERT course and in an 8 players battle, dude that's seriously something to see! I'd love for you to tell me what other game you saw something along those lines in the arcades. Frankly, other than Daytona back then, I have never seen girls do that on any other game. Have you forgotten how tough the Expert course is? You NEED to have a good understanding of the game's mechanics, and I've seen these girls going from 4th, to 1st, then 3rd then back to 4th on some of the ill-less corners. No comparison unless you are a good player.
Um.
I'm a girl
, and a lot of my female friends are pretty good at racing games. Better than I am at times. It is quite interesting to see them (especially if they didn't play games much) adapt to various courses, and go from beginner to expert sometimes quickly, or sometimes with some practice. So I completely understand where you're coming from... it's probably because
I am female
that I'm not really making a big deal out of it. :p

Gaspode_T

Isamu I sent a hint to you about taking chill pills like two weeks ago, you need to read the xbla thread more often!
isamu said:
Oh you guys....

You should win a gold medal for getting ahead of yourselves. I will not FLINCH until I see official confirmation WITH a description of what exactly we're getting.

But there a lot of good quotes in this thread.

Precisely the reason why I want it to come to PC, because I already have a shifter that meets those needs :)

Indeed my friend. Supermodel release is right around the corner ;)

This man knows what's up ^^

Patience young Jedi, arcade perfect ports are within our grasps if you have a decent PC. Behold:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCZT3uu7GbU

They're with me :)

Trojan X

Banned
Finaika said:
Are the PS360 powerful enough to do an arcade perfect Model 2 port?

Purely on CPU, they have more than enough power to do it flawlessly and capture 720p videos at the same time.

We need the original 1993 Model 2 arcade version to be ported home, the Dreamcast version was way off in terms of control and drone car A.I.

We also need both versions of Daytona USA 2 (Battle On The Edge and Power Edition).

I've been waiting and waiting for even a CHANCE that a Daytona game would be making its away to XBLA/PSN. Come on SEGA don't let me down again.

16187204.jpg

Top Bottom