• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do deals from Groupon and Living Social hurt restaurants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enron

Banned
Yes. There's been a shitton of stories coming out the last couple of years about restaraunts/cafes/small retailers regretting their decision to get in bed with Groupon and similar sites. I live in an area that is chocked full of these small local businesses and want the good ones to stay open - so I have quit using coupon sites like this.

Cudder

Raped? I think you're exaggerating.

How does a restaurant make money? They buy their ingredients and supplies for a cost (lower than usual because they usually buy a lot in quantity), and sell it high on the menu.

If you go to a decent Italian restaurant, a plate of pasta would be around 20$. How much would it be to buy your own and make it at home?

Fixed cost business that can add additional customers without significantly increasing costs can benefit (painting classes, zoos, zip-line tours etc.). Sellers of goods will not benefit as the coupons do not build traffic and only attract bargain hunters that will likely never return.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
How does a restaurant make money? They buy their ingredients and supplies for a cost (lower than usual because they usually buy a lot in quantity), and sell it high on the menu.

If you go to a decent Italian restaurant, a plate of pasta would be around 20$. How much would it be to buy your own and make it at home?

All that's on the menu is pasta, right? Excluding the fact that, even in a world where plain pasta is 20 bucks, a decent italian place makes their own. Can you do that?

Do you have the time, talent and knowledge to recreate it?

Didn't think so.

Alucrid

Banned

So providing a service, aka, cooking for you is being "raped?"

numble

Every business is raping you.

Joni

I don't know how it is internationally, but here locally there have been numerous reports on shady business practices by GroupOn at one moment even offering a deal on a company that never signed a contract with them. Most complaints are about messing with numbers and stuff like that, so I wouldn't buy anything from them if you want to support local restaurants.

pigeon

Banned
what the fuck? whenever you go to a restaurant you're getting raped with what they charge you for the food anyway, and you don't want to be "mean" to the restaurant by using coupons?

The average restaurant margin is 3%. I don't think you have much of an idea what goes into running a business.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
what the fuck? whenever you go to a restaurant you're getting raped with what they charge you for the food anyway, and you don't want to be "mean" to the restaurant by using coupons?

Ask that to my friends who run restaurants what the real cost to keep a place open and serve you a meal is.

Zoe

I've heard stories about shady sales people from Groupon screwing over small businesses. Things like putting up the deal before the business was ready for it, being liberal with the terms, etc.

I do use Groupons quite a bit, but I don't use them for small businesses, and we always order more than the deal and tip on the full price.

If they are using money from their marketing budget then it may be ok, but if they have no marketing budget then its not a good idea

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
My fiancé is obsessed with buying these things to save money when we go out to eat. Lately, I've been wondering if we're actually hurting the restaurant. I mean, do they take a hit in hopes to get you back in? If that's the case I kind of feel like a dick using them. Can someone explain how they breakdown financially for a restaurant? Anyone here refuse to use them? Anyone only use them?

deals only activate when they sell a certain amount. So I'd imagine there is a 'break even' point. if a business sells 80 discounted meals they probably still make a small profit on each one and they sold 80 meals. also they fill up the restaurant which helps with the vibe.

Ask that to my friends who run restaurants what the real cost to keep a place open and serve you a meal is.

restaurants have a ridiculously high failure rate. Groupon doesn't mean you're hurting them.

Stet

Banned
Well than a take it back I'm glad at expensive restaurants I've gotten mostly douches and people who aren't around when I need them.

If I wanted people hovering over my whole meal I'd go to my grandmothers house.

Well that's kind of the point. They don't hover, they just appear to do their jobs and then disappear again. It's their duty to do everything without getting in the way.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
We were going to use a Groupon at The Hereford House tonight.

But our waiter was super friendly, provided great service (even got us something currently not on the menu) and quick. When our bill arrived, he had not charged us for my mother's meal, my drink, and he undercharged us for the appetizer that was a special request.

Our bill was a good ~$20 cheaper than we were expecting. Because of the great service, we decided to keep our coupon, and it would entice us to return again in the next couple weeks. So in a way, it worked... but kind of backwards from what they probably expect.

We also left a ~23% tip based on the original value that our bill should have been, too, as we were so pleased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom