• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do developers generally prosper under limited hardware?

CO_Andy

Currently I'm tackling Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga for my first time, and it's been a completely enthralling expenrience.

I'm wondering why don't more handheld games get the kinda recognition that is generally bestowed upon their console brethen. Mario & Luigi is certainly more fun than most of the rut I've played this current-gen, and I'm sure the lot of you would agree as well.

I guess all I'm saying is that it doesn't take the most uber-powerful hardware to create a totally fun experience. Discuss!

well i dont think it is necessarily limited hardware but easy to tap hardware. when you can reach a solid level of visuals that are acceptable to the general public with minimal effort you can focus many more of your efforts on creating a solid gameplay experience.

of course this assumes developers care about gameplay (which is probably one of the problems).

just my 2 cents

i think you are right, that when they don't have to focus so much time/money on graphics they can focus more on gameplay. i think most developers care very much about the gameplay (meaning the actual people developing the games, not the suits i.e. Probst). They are gamers for the most part and obviously care very deeply about games if they are making a career out of them.

a lot of devs lurk these boards, maybe one will shed some insight ;)

Amir0x

Banned
I won't contribute much, but I will say I am pleased to see new CO_Andy minus "-z" ;)

Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga is a fun game, I agree. Do developers generally prosper under limited hardware... that depends on the implications. Is that limited hardware the market leader?

Speevy

Banned
As I shimmered my way through the average textures of Dark Cloud 2, I found many interesting ideas, cool music, great art, and what promises to be a ton of content. So yeah, sure, so long as there is demand for the machine, developers will put care into their games.

Conversely, see Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles.

Striek

Comparing GBA to current-gen consoles is a bit ridiculous. It would be a dozen times cheaper to make a good game on GBA than PS2/GC/XBOX.

I think when he meant prosper he was implying critical success and not sales success. Though both are certainly worth discussing (especially with the market penetration/leadership dynamic in place)

CO_Andy

Bobety said:
It's shocking that I even I find it hard to believe after all this time.
Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga is a fun game, I agree. Do developers generally prosper under limited hardware... that depends on the implications. Is that limited hardware the market leader?
I suppose Nintendo makes the most money on the GBA, but that doesn't mean they're the only ones flourishing. What I'm talking about is that any developer could easily reach Nintendo's level of exellence in game design under the GBA's ancient technology.

Tsubaki

CO_Andy said:
I guess all I'm saying is that it doesn't take the most uber-powerful hardware to create a totally fun experience. Discuss!

Tell that to the lamers who believe that 2004 was the best year of gaming.

I always enjoy games near the end of system's lifespan. That's when you see the truly talent developer pull out some amazing tricks out of the hardware. That and they already know what can be done and just concentrate on making a solid playing game.

Top Bottom