• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do DVD ROM drives have territorial lockouts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryo

Most do yes. You get to choose what territory you are in a few times, and then it is locked.

Both the drive and the player program have regions codes. You can usually chance them for 5 times before they are locked.

Ecrofirt

find region free firmware, and look into getting a program that will make the disc appear to be Region free.

I know the people that make CloneCD make something called AnyDVd that should do the trick for you.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
for a DVD-ROM to be a licensed DVD device it has to support and enforce territorial lockout. Most (all?) players give you 5 times to change the territory.

There is plenty of software out there to reset the territory and firmware out there to permanently disable it.

I never play DVD on my computer but I have no problem playing movies from North America on my European DVD player (United brand, very inexpensive). I don't know if this is indicative of all DVD players, but I have yet to see those 'territorial lockouts' in action myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom