• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer seems like a nightmare to get into.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I have been wanting to get into Warhammer since I was a kid, but the cost was prohibitive. When I became an adult, they killed the version I wanted to play, Warhammer Fantasy. But now they've revived it as Warhammer the Old World. I promised myself I'd jump in once it got released. And now it has and I'm intimidated as hell.

The rule books do a good job of telling you what is required for an army, but doesn't really teach you army building philosophy. And so basic things like how many troops I have in a unit, or how many ranks should I have aren't really answered. Much less how should I invest in upgrades and load outs.

There are army starter boxes, but not for the Factions I want to play as. And even then because it's so expensive it is hard to experiment. The starter box for a faction is almost $300 and it's not even a "full army". From my research a normal 2000 pt army is gonna run around $800. And that's fine I knew that came with the territory. But it sure would suck to drop that much money only to have an army that is poorly balanced and that I hate. There isn't much room for experimenting

I wish there was a way to experiment with armies and planning. And I wish they'd release some beginners materials for teaching stuff like army composition.

Last edited:

AREYOUOKAY?

I have been wanting to get into Warhammer since I was a kid, but the cost was prohibitive. When I became an adult, they killed the version I wanted to play, Warhammer Fantasy. But now they've revived it as Warhammer the Old World. I promised myself I'd jump in once it got released. And now it has and I'm intimidated as hell.

The rule books do a good job of telling you what is required for an army, but doesn't really teach you army building philosophy. And so basic things like how many troops I have in a unit, or how many ranks should I have aren't really answered. Much less how should I invest in upgrades and load outs.

There are army starter boxes, but not for the Factions I want to play as. And even then because it's so expensive it is hard to experiment. The starter box for a faction is almost $300 and it's not even a "full army". From my research a normal 2000 pt army is gonna run around $800. And that's fine I knew that came with the territory. But it sure would suck to drop that much money only to have an army that is poorly balanced and that I hate. There isn't much room for experimenting

I wish there was a way to experiment with armies and planning. And I wish they'd release some beginners materials for teaching stuff like army composition.
Do yourself and your wallet a favor and just buy and play Dawn of War 1 and 2 instead. You’ll avoid all the buyers remorse / regrets I made buying them that way.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Do yourself and your wallet a favor and just buy and play Dawn of War 1 and 2 instead. You’ll avoid all the buyers remorse / regrets I made buying them that way.
That's a video game though (also 40k). I mean, I guess i have Total Warhammer, but I like tabletop a lot. But I hear you there.

DKehoe

Do they have a shop near you? I believe they often run events for people to come along and play, whether they’re experienced players or newcomers. I’m sure one of the staff or someone else who plays could talk you through the basics as you play.

NecrosaroIII

Do they have a shop near you? I believe they often run events for people to come along and play, whether they’re experienced players or newcomers. I’m sure one of the staff or someone else who plays could talk you through the basics as you play.
There is a games workshop stores about 30 minutes away. Good point, i'll give them a visit.

Edit: Their hours are kinda weird. From like 10:00 AM until 18:00... I'll see what i can do

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I was just creating a thread for The Old World when I saw yours haha. It's not that hard to get into it, find a GW and ask them anything you want. They are very friendly 99% of the time. and they will be able to give you advice on painting your miniatures.
There are also often games played in the store if you want to see how it works.

NecrosaroIII

I'm not too concerned about the actual gameplay. It's indepth but I'm used to board games and TTRPGs, so I get the basic principles. It's really just army building i'm not confident in.

Link me to your Old World thread when you get it up.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I gotta think that entire boxes of this stuff show up on used sites pretty frequently. Then again, given the sunk cost in time, effort, and $$$, maybe no one can ever pull the trigger and sell.

I get that GW makes bank on this, but you'd think an entry game with 2D stands or whatever would go a long way to bringing in new blood. Though they can make stuff like that $40 Space Marine 2 player game I see at Target, so they could probably make a few skirmish box sets pretty cheap.

DKehoe

There is a games workshop stores about 30 minutes away. Good point, i'll give them a visit.

Edit: Their hours are kinda weird. From like 10:00 AM until 18:00... I'll see what i can do
Check if the store has a Facebook page and they might have some posts about events they have going on. You might find they have more 40k stuff than The Old World though. Or like you say just stop by the shop sometime and let them know you're looking for that kind of thing as you want to try and get into the hobby. I don't play myself but I've got friends who do and I think those places tend to be pretty encouraging about getting newcomers into the game.

NecrosaroIII

I get that GW makes bank on this, but you'd think an entry game with 2D stands or whatever would go a long way to bringing in new blood.
See, I would love this. If they had something like that, I'd go hogwild doing all sorts of playing and experimenting, and then dropping mad cash when I find stuff that works.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I found the best way for me to get into it as a new player, and I’m a very new player, was to visit the stores and talk to the nerds… I mean staff. They will literally walk you through it all, start to finish. Then listen to a bunch of lore and pick the army you want (the right choices are Black Templars, adeptus sororitas, Custodes, or Ultra Marines) and then just giver.

Each month you can go to gw shop and pick up a free mini too. It’s a great way to learn how to paint with little risk.

Do they publish the minis that they are giving away?

Here is February
AHm8CgX.jpg

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I really wouldn’t try to start with a 2000 point army. That way lies madness. Try a few rounds with a 500 pointer (I assume Old World has something similar to Kill Team?) You’ll find somebody at the Warhammer store who will play you, I’m sure. They do beginners courses as well.

Tabletop Simulator? You can do exactly what you're asking.

Also, there are tons of informative Battle Reports on YouTube:

Getting into Warhammer has literally never been easier.....

Ammogeddon

I’m not going to jump into Old World. AoS is barely played locally as it is. I got carried away with Horus Heresy and no one plays that either. Obviously this will change from club to club. I’ll see how it pans out over the next year or two but I’m happy plodding along with 40K.

SJRB

Gold Member
The beauty of Warhammer for me is that you can enjoy the lore without having to purchase the armies, and you can collect the armies without having to actually play the game.

I took the plunge into 40k about two years ago, had to do a lot of reading to grasp the basics of the universe, the history, key characters and events. There is a LOT to take in and to remember but the payoff is worth it because 40k is metal as fuck.

I collect and paint miniatures just because they're cool and painting is an almost meditative experience, I don't actively play the game. Ironically I think the actual game is by far the weakest part of the whole experience.

Cyberpunkd

The beauty of Warhammer for me is that you can enjoy the lore without having to purchase the armies, and you can collect the armies without having to actually play the game.

I took the plunge into 40k about two years ago, had to do a lot of reading to grasp the basics of the universe, the history, key characters and events. There is a LOT to take in and to remember but the payoff is worth it because 40k is metal as fuck.

I collect and paint miniatures just because they're cool and painting is an almost meditative experience, I don't actively play the game. Ironically I think the actual game is by far the weakest part of the whole experience.
This. I don't know much about Warhammer Fantasy Battle (although I remember playing the tabletop RPG 25 years ago during the summer camp), but 40K lore in unparalleled. It's just insane how rich and detailed it is, definitely Top3 of sci-fi universes all all time together with Dune and whatever else that makes you wet.

I don't paint, but I read all the books I can + play videogames or board games.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Yep. I don't play really. I'm in it for the lore and the painting. I don't even do many miniatures these days. I mostly paint custom McFarlane figures. I sling an audiobook on, sit at a desk, and paint for hours. Fucking love it. My YouTube is basically a Luetin09 stan channel.

If I ever did get back into the game again, I'd just annoy everyone by running an Alpha Legion loyalist chapter :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Yep. I don't play really. I'm in it for the lore and the painting. I don't even do many miniatures these days. I mostly paint custom McFarlane figures. I sling an audiobook on, sit at a desk, and paint for hours. Fucking love it. My YouTube is basically a Luetin09 stan channel.

If I ever did get back into the game again, I'd just annoy everyone by running an Alpha Legion loyalist chapter :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Try sandman of Terra. He is great too

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I adore Warhammer in all its forms. There is nothing quite like getting an army, building it, painting it, and coming up with lore for your little war band or group. Are they an offshoot of a legion? Some forgotten group? Or are they just a ragtag of cannibals with a penchant for explosives and genetic modification?

Thankfully TOW is very new and most stores have full games and showcases to get people into it. Any questions you have a GW employee should be able to answer.

If you are interested, I highly suggest the big army boxes for ToW. They come with 1250 points each and offer a good variety. It can get expensive if you try to go for a 2000 or 3000 point army. Also many ToW armies aren’t out yet. Orcs and goblins just got announced for their battalion box. May be a while if you are interested in something like thr empire of man.

40k and AoS offer starting sets with a game mode centered around them. The latter I can’t remember if it is available now or if it is the leak from the upcoming edition. Since I have full armies I don’t particularly pay much attention to that so apologies.

We also have a dedicated warhammer OT in communities for folks to discuss and showcase their painting!

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I adore Warhammer in all its forms. There is nothing quite like getting an army, building it, painting it, and coming up with lore for your little war band or group. Are they an offshoot of a legion? Some forgotten group? Or are they just a ragtag of cannibals with a penchant for explosives and genetic modification?

Thankfully TOW is very new and most stores have full games and showcases to get people into it. Any questions you have a GW employee should be able to answer.

If you are interested, I highly suggest the big army boxes for ToW. They come with 1250 points each and offer a good variety. It can get expensive if you try to go for a 2000 or 3000 point army. Also many ToW armies aren’t out yet. Orcs and goblins just got announced for their battalion box. May be a while if you are interested in something like thr empire of man.

40k and AoS offer starting sets with a game mode centered around them. The latter I can’t remember if it is available now or if it is the leak from the upcoming edition. Since I have full armies I don’t particularly pay much attention to that so apologies.

We also have a dedicated warhammer OT in communities for folks to discuss and showcase their painting!
Is ToW an extension of AoS or something else?

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Is ToW an extension of AoS or something else?
It’s essentially a return to how AoS used to be before they blew up the universe. It’s set before fantasy, which was the predecessor to AoS. It plays very differently.

NecrosaroIII

That's what a lot of people have been comparing it to. But the biggest difference in my mind is that ToW is a wargame and AoS is a skirmish game.

To me 40k has always been novels, videogames, and fan creations like the A Vox in the Void YouTube channel. That being said as I get into 3d printing I may do some mini prints, and play with a few local friends of mine. Honestly fuck GW on their mini prices, I don't care about playing in a store over an hour away.

I just started the Eisenhorn Compendium and am loving it. I doubt I'll ever get into the TT, as I am more interested in D&D as a game to play with friends, but I can't deny that I think the lore of 40k is so incredibily compelling and fascinating. I can't tell you how many hours of Luetin09 I've watched/listened to while at the gym.

It's not that bad once you get used to it. Find what aspect you think you would like and go from there.

I would highly recommend Rogue Trader crpg as a good way to get acquainted. It has a built-in dictionary and encyclopedia about the universe.

Edit: oh wait you're talking about Warhammer Fantasy it seems. My bad.

Last edited:

The Stig

I tried but I honestly found it a chore to follow all the rules.

I love the lore and some of the video games though. FOR THE EMPEROR!

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I tried but I honestly found it a chore to follow all the rules.

I love the lore and some of the video games though. FOR THE EMPEROR!
Depends on the game and the rule set.

Once you learn, I find a game can take maybe 40-60 minutes. Much faster than the initial 2 hour games I played. Subtract 15 min with 10th edition as that removed a lot of bloat.

flying_sq

I tried to get into it in high school, played Tyranids. I think it was 6th edition at the time. The other guys played orks, space marines, eldar and tau. I scraped up enough for a 500 point army just to get mocked. Played the space marine guy and won off a glancing blow then rolled a 6. He almost flipped the table he was so pissed. I get more entertainment out of watching Tabletop Tactics and 40k in 40min than I think I would ever spending hours building and painting models as well as spending thousands.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I tried to get into it in high school, played Tyranids. I think it was 6th edition at the time. The other guys played orks, space marines, eldar and tau. I scraped up enough for a 500 point army just to get mocked. Played the space marine guy and won off a glancing blow then rolled a 6. He almost flipped the table he was so pissed. I get more entertainment out of watching Tabletop Tactics and 40k in 40min than I think I would ever spending hours building and painting models as well as spending thousands.

You can buy table top ready models second hand for about the same price, sometimes cheaper. It’s an option I see a few folks who only care about playing the game do. Also tabletop simulator is good for playing and testing armies.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I started typing my post asking you whether or not you meant the game or the lore and then I realized that it's kind of a steep climb either way lol

I don't play the tabletop anymore, but I still partake in the lore and the books. If you would like any tips on how to get into that, I'd be happy to make some recommendations for you.

Trilobit

I had to ask my friend Chiatto Gepetto to understand better, here's a pic for more peeps scratching their heads:

Ujuxaoe.png

flying_sq

I had to ask my friend Chiatto Gepetto to understand better, here's a pic for more peeps scratching their heads:

Ujuxaoe.png
Sorry, I wasn't trying to go deep into anything. Just it...can suck getting into it. It's actually kind of crazy that chat gpt can do that though.

I gotta think that entire boxes of this stuff show up on used sites pretty frequently. Then again, given the sunk cost in time, effort, and $$$, maybe no one can ever pull the trigger and sell.

I get that GW makes bank on this, but you'd think an entry game with 2D stands or whatever would go a long way to bringing in new blood. Though they can make stuff like that $40 Space Marine 2 player game I see at Target, so they could probably make a few skirmish box sets pretty cheap.
When we were kids me and my brother would make cardboard stands for the bigger models. Just so that if you're going to play at home.

Trilobit

Sorry, I wasn't trying to go deep into anything. Just it...can suck getting into it. It's actually kind of crazy that chat gpt can do that though.

It's what was expected in a Warhammer thread, but for me as a complete newbie it was like reading Greek lol. ChatGPT's explanatory power in certain subjects are wild, it handles similies like a champ also.

Toots

Gold Member

I'll tell you a little secret about my days as a space marine general.
My friends and i had no money so we took whatever figurines we could get our hand on and gave them whatever role we wanted.
For exemple, you only have a lousy space marine squad but want terminators ? Just treat them as terminators.
You want to summon an avatar of Khaine but all you have to host his essence is a wooden pepper mill ?
Being that, after his fight with Slaanesh, Khaine's essence was dismantled in millions pieces and scattered across the many galaxies, your pepper mill could very well hold part of the Eldar god of destruction.
As long as everything is clearly stated between you and your opponent beforehand, who cares ?
(The huge nerd you'll be facing in a tourney will very much care, so obviously don't do it in a competitive match.)

eol1Sbq.jpg

look at this, pretty much indistiguishable from the real thing

Last edited:
Top Bottom