• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What would a Naughty Dog Sci-Fi game look like?

When you look at Naughty Dog games they take heavy inspiration from other games and other media.

“We like our influences,” he admits. “We look at what some other games are doing, and if we feel it’s appropriate for what we’re doing, we’ll see if we can incorporate it and put our own spin on it. That was also kind of the philosophy on Jak.”

Way of the Warrior takes heavy inspiration from Mortal Kombat. Crash Bandicoot was heavily inspired by Donkey Kong Country and Sonic the Hedgehog.

I'd guess that Jak and Daxter was inspired not only by Crash Bandicoot but by Mario 64. Jak 2 seems to have been inspired by Blade Runner but the direction for it to be darker was due to Grand Theft Auto 3. Jak 3 was apparently inspired by Smuggler's Run.

Crash Team Racing and Jak X are obviously inspired by Mario Kart.

Uncharted was obviously inspired by Indiana Jones, Tomb Raider, and maybe National Treasure.

The Last of Us was inspired by The Walking Dead, The Road, and Children of Men.

What would a sci-fi game by Naughty Dog be inspired by? Sci-fi is still somewhat divisive and hit or miss. I think they can take a lot from Star Wars, but once you start getting into the force, it's a bit too much on the nose. I think they'd want to stick closer to Blade Runner, but Cyberpunk has really already marked that territory.

Ultimately, I'm thinking something more of a kin to Mass Effect, but more action-oriented rather than RPG. Maybe with inspiration from Star Trek more than Star Wars. Maybe some inspiration from Firefly (I actually wonder if Neil is a big fan of the show with the faction in the last of us called the Fireflies and alan tudyk originally being cast in Uncharted 4) Neil has specifically mentioned wanting to work on something like Cowboy Bebop.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
People said Star Wars 1313 looked like Uncharted. Maybe that's what a Naughty Dog sci-fi would look like.

midnightAI

uncharted.jpg

To me star wars fallen order kind of felt like uncharted to me.

I'd hope they would avoid the souls-like gameplay style and go for something with a bit more wide ranging appeal, that being said, obviously, Elden Ring was quite successful, but I wonder how many people knew what it played like before they bought it.

Vick

I'd hope they would avoid the souls-like gameplay style and go for something with a bit more wide ranging appeal, that being said, obviously, Elden Ring was quite successful, but I wonder how many people knew what it played like before they bought it.
Considering Part II has been for months a Bloodborne open world focused on melee, I think that's what they're going for next.

It would hardly work for sci-fi however unless we're talking Alien 3 kind of sci-fi.. so for the traditional genre, I see them using mechanics more akin to Uncharted with a little Vanquish and/or MGSV eccentricity.

This is obviously fake due to the white male main character.
Very true sadly. ND are so infected by the woke virus they would NEVER have a white male lead again. He would either be the villian or the token white guy who acts like an idiot sidekick to a strong female lead or black male lead. That or they would put another Abby type trans person as the main character.

Vick

Depressing Blade Runner 2049 adaptation.

Focus on gloomy and depression.
Regarding the game, I imagine something like Blade Runner 2049, very aseptic and sophisticated.
blade-runner-2049-causa-peugeot-perde-ancor-arrivare-tribunale-v6-431987-1024x682.jpg

blade-runner-2049-4-1920%C3%971080.jpg
I'd be all over it.

Yes. And as we know, neither Nathan nor Joel were white main characters.
Nor redhead Ellie. Nor blonde Abby.

Oh Sweet Baby, inc.
Not clients:

SVJcqhZ.jpg

At Naughty Dog they don't really fucking need Sweet Baby Inc. when it comes to these things.. lol

Last edited:

Saiyan-Rox

Main character: Ginger black trans woman who is also gay

Story: rich white man wants to rob a planet of their resources while secretly being funded by the government to do it (who are all white guys)

Main character stumbles appon secret documents a beta white man left at a subway space sandwiches shop (gotta get that product placement) saying that of the natives of the planet put up a fight we have all right to shoot to kill. Media will protray the natives as being related to Hitler and that they started this war cause they said the white guys dicks were tiny to gain support from the public.

Main character vows to single handedly stop the whole thing with just a single gun and her voice.

Game title? Idk

Space HERo

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Uncharted came out in 2007 and TLOU in 2013. Again if you think ND will make a game with a white male main character in 2024 you're not paying attention.
You may have been living under a rock but things have changed since 2013 when the first TLoU game was released.
And what's wrong with having a non-white-male as the main protagonist this time when you already had 2 games with a white-male lead? 🤔

Kokoloko85

Blade Runner 2049 is one of my favorite films ever. And that environment and vibe are second to none.

I'd love nothing more to see Naughty Dog taking inspiration from that and making a gritty sci-fi game.

It was a really good sequel. Compared to so many sequels and remakes from movies of the 80’s, it was awesome

kyussman

And what's wrong with having a non-white-male as the main protagonist this time when you already had 2 games with a white-male lead? 🤔
Well there is nothing wrong with it in theory is there,only a racist would say there was......but context is rather important,and what has happened in the last few years is a full on ideological assault on white men at the hands of far left extremists,this all falls under the general banner of woke nonsense and Naughty Dog are fully onboard.Not having a white dude as your main character is fine,not having a white dude as your main character because you have been brainwashed into believing we are all evil is not fine......and at this point I would imagine that would be Naughty Dog's worldview.

SHA

Idk, it's kinda wrong, cause you can't make a %100 serious story on space, Noughty Dog seriousness to be more specific, it has to be attached someway to mass effect cause other space games are mostly expensive garbage.

Top Bottom