• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do Napster/Kazaa like programs still exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
I'm jsut wondering, do people still use p2p programs like Kazaa and Napster? Or is it all torrents these days?

Geneijin

They exist and I'm sure there are variants I'm not aware of. But there's so many more alternatives than P2P nowadays.

Bishman

Firestorm said:
If you know how to use a computer: Torrents
If not and are only pirating music: Limewire

That's how it seems to work.
^

My friends who do not understand torrents, still use p2p to download music. When they want some movies, they call me and tell me "do that torrent shit and find me [insert movie name].

Firestorm said:
If you know how to use a computer: Torrents
If not and are only pirating music: Limewire

That's how it seems to work.

eh id put usenet above torrents on the "knows how to use computer" leet scale.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Bishman said:
^

My friends who do not understand torrents, still use p2p to download music. When they want some movies, they call me and tell me "do that torrent shit and find me [insert movie name].

Wait, isn't admitting to movie piracy on GAF bannable?
I learned it the hard way

That said, yeah, both Kazaa and Limewire are still around, but they're mostly used by people who aren't tech savvy enough to work out how to use torrent clients. Soulseek and DC++ are also around, and I guess Bearshare, WInMX and eMule/eDonkey still have about five users worldwide or something.

border

I still use Soulseek for finding music, though it isn't very often.

Using torrents for music sounds like a huge fucking hassle.

WEGGLES

I know a bunch of idiots that use limewire...

Torrents are so much better and I could get them onto private trackers no problem, esp music ones, so they don't even need to worry about public tracker crap but I couldn't be arsed to tell them how to use torrents.

I still use Soulseek all the time. There's tons of ultra obscure shit on SLSK that I've never seen on private or public trackers, or if I did see them they weren't seeded...

border

Combichristoffersen said:

No. Pirating videogames is an insta-ban, but nobody seems to care about film or music piracy. I woudln't flaunt it or anything though.

border said:
No. Pirating videogames is an insta-ban, but nobody seems to care about film or music piracy. I woudln't flaunt it or anything though.

pirating videogames = bad

talking about where to score drugs = okay

Xeke

Banned
Teh Hamburglar said:
pirating videogames = bad

talking about where to score drugs = okay

One of those is stealing and taking money from somebody's livelihood and one is a victimless crime.

Calcaneus

Messypandas said:
they're mainly used for people looking for movie themes by John Williams
every movie in history
Or people looking for songs by Weird Al
every parody song in history

Calcaneus said:
Or people looking for songs by Weird Al
every parody song in history

That would bug the crap out of me in like 2000. "Which Backstreet Boy Is Gay" by Weird Al. Yeah right.:lol

btkadams

Combichristoffersen said:
i was always under the impression that in canada it's legal to download everything, just illegal to upload? someone care to correct me?

RevoDS

For single songs I want to find quickly, I find FrostWire (open source, free equivalent to LimeWire) more convenient than torrents. For anything else, it's torrents and file hosting sites FTW.

Xeke

Banned
WEGGLES said:
If you're getting a single mp3 you're doing it wrong.

Should at least give the rest of the album a chance. :[

I know for a fact that I don't want to listen to the rest of the album that "I Can't Fight This Feeling Anymore" is on.

WEGGLES

Xeke said:
I know for a fact that I don't want to listen to the rest of the album that "I Can't Fight This Feeling Anymore" is on.
You talkin about REO Speed Wagon? D:

If so..why do you want to listen to them at all? D;

flsh

Banned
ClosingADoor said:
This. And Rapidshare.

Yes and no. Public trackers and some private ones are inferior to Usenet and Rapidshare. Though the real good private trackers that deal in specific stuff are miles better than anything else.
But you either need a seedbox that costs a lot of money, or live in a country where a fantastic upload is a cheap option.

There are a lot of things that are only available in some private trackers. A lot of things. Judging bittorrent through public trackers is like thinking a corola is representative of supercars :lol

WEGGLES

flsh said:
Yes and no. Public trackers and some private ones are inferior to Usenet and Rapidshare. Though the real good private trackers that deal in specific stuff are miles better than anything else.
But you either need a seedbox that costs a lot of money, or live in a country where a fantastic upload is a cheap option.

There are a lot of things that are only available in some private trackers. A lot of things. Judging bittorrent through public trackers is like thinking a corola is representative of supercars :lol
I have a crummy connection that caps my up and down speed on torrents to 30kb/s and I've managed a 4.4 ratio on Waffles.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Xeke said:
One of those is stealing and taking money from somebody's livelihood and one is a victimless crime.

yeah until i get high on pcp and punch you in the face when you're out getting the paper.

flsh

Banned
WEGGLES said:
I have a crummy connection that caps my up and down speed on torrents to 30kb/s and I've managed a 4.4 ratio on Waffles.

Well the content of that site is not that big, so it is a lot easier than other sites I rather not mention for fear of ban :lol

El Papa

Soulseek is still around because it has a lot of indie, underground, little known, hard to find stuff as well as the popular stuff. Or so I've heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom