• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DO NOT download Sonic Runners, major safety concerns (burning being one)

another change is your companion does not collect animals if they touch, only your character can do so, before now they would collect animals.

so many silly changes to a game which was solid for the last 3 months, swag pretty much binned all their good effort with this release.

Good thing I don't play games on a phone. Considering how much my computer tends to overheat from regular use, I can't even fathom a game making a machine overheat to the point of burnage.

This is utterly crazy. @_@ I request a video of a phone getting burned because of this game. I guarantee it will get views.

To be fair, Sonic 06 and Shadow The Hedgehog didn't burn consoles... literally, anyway. Perhaps metaphorically.

IKrdQLQ.png

The android version has a 1.1.1 update to get it running but the game is still plagued with all the new terrible changes, iOS version still runs with stutter since it's not had an update.

Surta

Is burning some technical term or do you mean.... like literally burning people? With fire?

They mean it literally. But keep in mind that
  1. OP created this topic based on rumors, not facts
  2. Phones have caught on fire before, mostly due to problems with lithium-ion batteries
  3. Some modern phones have powerful chipsets crammed into them that are known to overheat.

So, does Sonic Runners really set people's phones on fire? No.
And if it did, then shoddy hardware engineering is to blame, not the game. It would happen with any software that causes high CPU/GPU loads. Or people having messed with their phone's firmware (overclocking, custom kernels, etc.) are to blame.

Pachimari

Sonic Runners works perfectly on the LG G3 now. I just played it and it is awesome. Not only are the visuals super charming and colorful but the gameplay seems to be a lot of fun and have potential for addiction.

It is seriously fun so far.

Piers

Had a feeling the game was going to throw all the goodwill out the window for the worldwide release.

Locking Classic Sonic behind a 6% lottery chance is just the biggest way to rub capitalist nads all over the 90's fans.

andymcc

Banned
game works pretty well on my iphone 6.

i'm ashamed that i've sunk more than an hour into it. it's sort of fun but i feel like i'm being exploited lmao

PtM

Banned
The iOS version update made the game has big stutter every few seconds on iphone 5's, when before now it was a little choppy but never had stutter and pausing.

The launch version also made leveling up characters cost more rings, reduced the bonus the rappy buddy gives you, added a leveling xp system (not really sure what this does yet) and a few other tweaks I don't agree with, they also added in video advertising which was never there before.

They also nerfed the rate you earn red coins for no reason, the price of red rings is already too expensive since you need 50 for the roulette and buying that many costs you a few quid.

Runners started off as such a nice freemium game and now it's half of what it was, you get less lives, you have to grind more to level up, it's become a slog.
They cashed in the metacritic and then showed their final form?

Dunkley

Unless I am missing something it's people's fault for disabling temperature based throttling, so how is that Sonic Runner's fault?

Couldn't like every other app potentially do the same damage here?

I very much doubt a lot that Google allow to disable thermal limits and every kind of cpu control (thermal throttle, turning off cpu when it reaches some limits) of cpus from an app. That sounds like too much craziness.

So I'm going to need receipts for that one.

They mean it literally. But keep in mind that
  1. OP created this topic based on rumors, not facts
  2. Phones have caught on fire before, mostly due to problems with lithium-ion batteries
  3. Some modern phones have powerful chipsets crammed into them that are known to overheat.

So, does Sonic Runners really set people's phones on fire? No.
And if it did, then shoddy hardware engineering is to blame, not the game. It would happen with any software that causes high CPU/GPU loads. Or people having messed with their phone's firmware (overclocking, custom kernels, etc.) are to blame.

I'd recommend reading this:

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2015/06/the-spin-what-do-you-mean-theres-a-problem-with-sonic-runners/

Nexus 7: The worldwide release works and runs, however after only 2 min of play the device gets extremely hot, so hot in fact we had to turn it off for fearing the safety of the hardware and because we were very concerned that it would become a fire hazard had we left it running, one part of the device was so hot it could have potentially burned someone.

The issues with the Nexus 7 were so bad, the owner of it immediately uninstalled the game and made me promise never to install it on there again.

Regarding the Nexus 7 issue. This is almost certainly the result of the hardware not being upto scratch, the system is being pushed near it’s limit which is generating a massive level of heat.

Basically, yeah, it can be HW-related, but the game's technically causing it.

Top Bottom