• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do Police 'simulations' exist?

Vieo

Sorta like Flight Simulations except you're a cop. I don't mean run of the mill squad based SWAT team games. I mean a game where you'll do a lot of the stuff cops do.

You start your training in a police academy. You eventually work your way up to patroling the streets in a squad car where you respond to different calls over your radio (domestic disturbances, robberies, shootings, arresting hookers, highspeed chases, traffic violations, using a dog to sniff out narcotics and bombs; the whole nine yards). Depending on how you handle each situation(knowing when to shoot someone or when to chase them down and cuff them), your rank goes up or down. Eventually you can make detective and work on complex cases that require you to gather evidence and interrogate suspects.

What game comes closest to this?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
police1.jpg

Memories....

Vandiger

Oh yeah Police Quest was the best. I had hoped this would evolve into what you posted but like all sierra games they eventually died out.

Vieo

I guess I'll have to chalk this on my list of almost nonexist genres. The only other genre on my list currently is "shump-rpg". =D

The original SWAT had video clips of police instructors yelling at you when you screwed up the exercise.

I remember one excercise was about zeroing your rifle scope, but I had no idea what that meant back then. So I brought my dad in to help me, and he ended up yelling right back at the on-screen instructor.

Game sucked.

The End

Vieo said:
I guess I'll have to chalk this on my list of almost nonexist genres. The only other genre on my list currently is "shump-rpg". =D

Armada for DC as well as a few PC games come to mind. Oh, and The Guardian Legend too, but that's more of an Adventure-Shmup.

Vieo said:

I think the closest you'll get to that is fantasy zone or guardian legend

Unison

I sort of liked the first SWAT game. You really had to learn the commands and use them appropriately to make any progress at all.

M3wThr33

Banned
Hehe. I played Police 911 again tonight at my arcade.
I'm doing better now. Only 4 civilian shots. I'd kill for a home version in the USA.

aku:jiki

Vieo said:
What's wrong with the PQ suggestions? Granted they don't do everything you posted but it's close enough. I remember getting so annoyed with the first game because it's so anal, it even forces you to do a check-up of your patrol car when you get into it (and forgetting to do so ends the game).

Also, I have to say that the reason there aren't that many shooter RPG's (but they exist like The End said) is that it's a dumb idea. The whole point of the genre is the basic playing-5-minutes-is-just-as-fun-as-playing-5-hours idea, and that would be completely lost if you had to read text for an hour between every shooting segment. If you mean more like a shooter that has exp and leveling for your weapons or something, I'm with you (and there's Radiant Silvergun for that, I guess).

Ooh, they made a sequel to Police 911?

Honestly, other than Police 911 (which is still mostly just a shooting game with full body dodging), in terms of more recent things... well, True Crime: Streets of LA isn't the most realistic game ever, but it does include many cop elements that you described above. Although I had a "domestic disturbance" pull out Uzis on me, which sucked a bit. :p

Also, I guess the recent NARC supposedly tries to mimic police gameplay, but, well... general consensus is that it sucks badly. (And "maturely" handles drug use and references in the same way that an eight year-old maturely handles fart jokes.) So I don't know about recommending that one.

Let's see... there's some crime game coming out which lets you play as both sides of the law (no recollection of the title, 25 to Life, maybe?), but I doubt it'll put a lot of depth and work into the law-keeping side of it.

There's also a "Police Trainer" or something arcade game, but again, it's pretty much just shooting.

Police Quest II was the best adventure I ever played.. I know Police Quest: SWAT was a sim of some sort but I'm not sure how good that was. I was pretty let down by PQ3 and stopped following the game line there..

Santini

The Faceless Master said:

Well, if you're going to go that far...

A trainer for wannabe 80's cops on the edge with nothing to lose, I suppose.

BTW, it's not the police sim you've been looking for, but there is a shmup/RPG coming out soon from WayForward (makers of Shantae) and Namco:

xsarien

daedsiluap
Vandiger said:
Oh yeah Police Quest was the best. I had hoped this would evolve into what you posted but like all sierra games they eventually died out.

Actually, Police Quest is the only one that's technically still alive. SWAT came out of that series, and the first one or two (at least, as far as I know) are more simulation than action-oriented.

But the Sonny Bonds PQ games - 1-3 - are good stuff. A little hokey at times, but good stuff.

Top Bottom