• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do we still need Rockstar Games?

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
some people have argued that Rockstar Games are outdated and that we have grown over their games.. does the game industry still need them, do we still need them?

I don't really dig their games personally but considering GTA5 is like the best selling game of all time, I'd say people want them to hang around yes.

theHFIC

some people enjoy their games and contributions to gaming, some people do not enjoy their games and their contributions to gaming.

every company in gaming is disposable.

Alebrije

A lot of people is waiting for Red dead redemption , GTA is always on the top ten monthly sales... so Nope.

MADGAME

I like their games, but do not like their recent pricing structure and economy of GTA online. Per Take Two's recent monetization statements however, it most likely means it is here to stay or even get worse.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
They haven't even released a game built from the ground up for this gen and you're saying the industry has outgrown them? Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?

Rockstar Games : We shall double our efforts

Master Apoc : I hope so for your sake Rockstar, some people is not as forgiving as I am...

Last edited:

Hissing Sid

We don’t ‘need’ any gaming company really. Games are entertainment not oxygen.

As long as there’s a demand for what Rockstar makes they’ll happily hang around to supply it.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
Rockstar is one of the best and most reliable game makers in existence. Saying you're tired of them is like saying you're tired of quality games.

Quality games take time to get released, which completely explains the difference between a Rockstar game and a Ubisoft game.

I make this same argument for Blizzard. If you wan't something done right, you're going to wait for it.

Horns

You're off your rocker if you think Rockstar needs to go. They literally make the best open world games out there. GTA V is the best selling, top reviewed, and most played title out there and GTA IV was the same last gen. RDR and MP are held in high regard as well. They're credited with bringing the open world genre to where it is today. So many AAA titles copy them but none still come close to what Rockstar does. The quality of their games is unmatched. Anyone saying the industry doesn't need them is speaking from their ass.

Last edited:

dano1

A Sheep
Grand Theft Auto 5 is best-selling game of all time in US

Yeah probably time to dump this developer...

Fbh

We don't need any developer.
But Rockstar makes some of the best open world games out there and are one of the best when it comes to creating worlds that feel alive and have a ridiculous amount of detail. Not to mention that their games sell like crazy. GTA V came out in 2013 and still gets strong sales

Do we need them? No. But why would we want to get rid of one of the most talented dev teams out there ?

Last edited:

meerak

This thread is stupid enough to be spam.

Did this question really need to be asked?

Rockstar is a big deal. They make some of the most popular games in the world. That’s all there is to say.

Mooreberg

I think the last Take 2 published game I purchased was GTA V. What have they released since then besides sports games? Battleborn?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Damn... everyone pouring cold water on the fire and we’re only one page in.

I think the need for Rockstar’s current format is nonexistent reason being is other developers have illustrated how to have large, open environments without having a “gangster” story attached to it (see, infamous, Watchdogs etc.)

If all you’re doing is adding graphical enhancements each gen than I think you fall into the madden effect even though we only get a R* game every 5 years or so

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I still need Rockstar games.

It's not like any AAA developer is doing anything new these days. If Rockstar quits they should probably all quit. Indies are where the innovation is.

Blam

They need to pull their ass out of their heads and actually produce quality online content.

odhiex

I love Rockstar Games. Well not all of their titles are my favorites, but RDR alone was probably in my 10 GOAT.
I believe a lot of people do like their games. So yes OP, we need it.

LordPezix

Uh.. yeah. I can think of a long list of studios we could dump before we get to Rockstar.

I mean GTA alone makes em worth it.

No? We don't need any studio, games are a luxury entertainment -- we don't need any of this shit and we take it all so seriously.

But in terms of entertainment, the more the creators the better... why wouldn't you want more creations.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I personally don’t want a gaming landscape without them — it’s not like they release tons of shovelware and oversaturate the market — they typically releases a game every 4 or 5 years and they’re almost always interesting, and sometimes they’re brilliant. They’ve proven time and again they can adapt to the marketplace (just look at GTA Online, love it or hate it, it’s wildly successful) and produce relevant content.

RDR2, unless something goes terribly wrong, is poised to be one of the best games of the year. So yeah, Rockstar can stick around awhile.

Nazarias

Neo Member
Rockstar is pretty cool. GTA 5 was my first gta and I loved it. RDR is pretty nice too. Don't feel like they are outdated, but Not a fan of their online content

JaxBriggs

I actually thought GTA V was a little over rate, but oh man I am pumped for RDR2. That game is gonna be epic.

Green Yoshi

Rockstar Games should make more games. Between GTA IV and GTA V five years and four months passed. Between GTA V and GTA VI the waiting period will be even longer I assume. They don't need to copy Ubisoft, which releases a new Assassin's Creed every 12 months, but they could increase their output a little bit. What about Midnight Club, Smuggler's Run, Bully, The Warriors, Manhunt and Max Payne? Are all their IPs besides Red Dead and GTA dead?

Top Bottom