• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do we still need Rockstar Games?

Not Drake

If there's anyone who "needs" Rockstar, it's Take-Two Interactive. As for anyone else, Rockstar is just less relevant these days. They make a title once 3-4 years, keep it alive, make a ton of money and repeat the cycle. I wish they would expand and be more active when it comes to releasing new games. Keep that single living behemoth once or twice per console cycle, but throw in some smaller projects.

thelastword

Banned
GTAV keeps selling at a rapid pace and you wonder, who has not bought GTA yet, but it outsold new franchises even last year....RDR is one of the most anticipated games of 2018 and when GTA6 debuts it will sell millions upon million of copies. Rockstar also has Max Payne, La Noire, Table Tennis and Midnight Club and if they wanted to create a new IP, I'm sure it would be a success just the same......

I don't know how you determine that statement OP, and what stats prove that people are tired of Rockstar games or think their games are outdated, but sales, metacritic etc.. want to have a word with you....and to think GTA5 has not even hit $19.99 yet, all the GTA bucks people buy, hell, even I have not bought GTAV so I'm another potential customer for them whenever I decide to.....Rockstar is just swimming in that cash and great sales of their title/s every year.......I'd think most of the other franchises which you deem not outdated, wish they had the pull, sales or metacritic score of GTA...

Last edited:

AudioEppa

LOLOLOL @ OP

But seriously. If you have a problem with Rockstar, Make it about yourself and don’t use some imaginary people to help legitimize you’re feelings.

In next few years when people are filling up blocks to get in line for the release of GTA 6, Go ask them this same question.

just make sure you wear protection.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
what was their last game and how well did it sell?

I swear, some of you are battling for coming up with the WORST questions and opinions just to get a post count. "some people", who are some people? Someone on twitter? Even if you don't like their open world violence simulators you can not deny how well done their games are.

Outrun

Hell yes we need R*

No other company can bring us Agent

Seriously though, I need my fix of GTA and RDR campaigns

Rellik

What an odd question.

You don't have to like the company or their games, but why would anyone think the industry has passed them by? Have you seen the sales numbers on GTA V? It's still ranking in the top 10 week by week.

When it's time for GTA VI(CE) (Wishful thinking), they'll upload an image to Twitter with a palm tree behind the Rockstar logo and it'll break GAF. There aren't many like them.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
Personally I could live without them. I've really only enjoyed Bully and San Andreas, everything else I either didn't like or was indifferent about.

The population at large would really miss them I assume, considering how big GTA5 was and how hyped for Red Dead alot of people are...

Rellik

They're really focused on quality over quantity.

I'd take another Rockstar Table Tennis. I'm not sure how long the original took them to make, but it was a nice little game to distract from the usual GTA cycle.

Last edited:

educator

I don't need them (kind of a weird question you're asking to be honest), but I sure would miss them if they went away. I enjoy their games and look forward to RDR2 and the next installment in the GTA-franchise.

Dunki

some people have argued that Rockstar Games are outdated and that we have grown over their games.. does the game industry still need them, do we still need them?
Polygon does not count.^^

But to answer you question yes. Every game they do evolves in several ways and it also shaping the Industry.What they did with GTA5 was incredible. Especially the online part which they are still supporting is one of the reasons this game sold so well.

gioGAF

Rockstar is one of the best still in the business. I would rather keep them around than Activision and/or EA.

Sure, GTA5 has microtransactions in it, but the single player alone was a stellar value. Their model, at least for now, is one of the better ones. They have released content for everyone, they have not fragmented the player base. The Shark Cards are there, but you still have everything available to you.

IMO, GTA5 is one of the best supported games of this and last generation and STILL one of the best values around. If they provide something similar for RDR2, they can count on more of my money (though I will never buy Shark Cards or any form of lootbox).

Kadayi

Banned
I like the technical aspects, I just wish they put as much money into the writing as they did the musical selections. With the kind of cash they have on hand, they could be getting in any number of quality screenwriters from elsewhere to bring some genuine nuance to their product. Dan Houser and his school chum aren't exactly revelatory in their storytelling.

njean777

Umm yes, no other media has ever made me like a western motif other than Red Dead Redemption. I am excited for the sequel and cannot wait for it to drop.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'd take another Rockstar Table Tennis. I'm not sure how long the original took them to make, but it was a nice little game to distract from the usual GTA cycle.

I would be happy if they just made the 360 version BC.

the fuck is with people who can't just buy games they want and are invested in other people NOT getting the games they're interested in
like I don't even play GTA and I still think this is dumb af

The GTA series is amazing, Niko is one of the greatest protagonist ever, GTA 5 is amazing (only criticism is too much usage of the word nigger) their online is pretty decent.

They make great games and I will be a day one purchase for GTA6

GTA III, GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas were all released within three years (2001, 2002, 2004).

Because you can’t?

San Andreas is copy paste effort with two meaningless cities, masked by a voice acting cast filled with celebrities. That’s the least effort they have shown and thankfully they learned their lesson.

I don’t like how Rstar has turned online into money making machine, but I don’t even care. I buy their games for the single player experience which is always way more polished compared to everyone else.

But no, we don’t need Rstar, but then we don’t need video games either.

Parapraxis

some people

Who? Who are these people?

Sounds familiar though, it can be used in a way to try to justify pretty much anything. We all know a particular somebody who uses "People are saying" all the time to make up their unsubstantiated claims. Can we please not adopt this practice as a society. If people are actually saying something that is questionable, out of left field or extreme please provide at least 1 quote to support the claim, please.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

RDR is very overrated and I fear RDR2 will be as well. GTA however is always a treat and nobody can pull off a modern day open world as well as Rockstar can.

LordPezix

If there's anyone who "needs" Rockstar, it's Take-Two Interactive. As for anyone else, Rockstar is just less relevant these days. They make a title once 3-4 years, keep it alive, make a ton of money and repeat the cycle. I wish they would expand and be more active when it comes to releasing new games. Keep that single living behemoth once or twice per console cycle, but throw in some smaller projects.

I don't know man, I'd rather wait a few years for a really polished title than have a few titles that just aren't up to snuff. I mean with all the other content we are given I think it works out nicely. Gives players more time to explore other titles and you don't get hit with the "Oh shit we've got title[x], title[y], and [z] all releasing in a couple of months, MY WALLET!!!! (cry face)". I am not a hardcore gamer though so I'd expect people who destroy backlogs want more content.

Top Bottom