• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you consider rap to actually be music?

Some of it may not to be your persuasion but that doesn't mean it's not music. A bit like how a lot of people need sugar in their coffee or whatever, most people need at least a little melody to lessen the blow of the raw experience to make it palatable :messenger_winking:

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Grimes is using a Juno-G sample-based digital workstation, not even a real analog instrument. She's using an SP-404 digital sampler to play back beats, not a 100-man backing orchestra. She's using an M9 digital effects pedal to add delay and reverb effects, not a real concert hall to echo the sound or beaming drugs into my brain to warp my aural perception. She's making weird noises, not singing properly. None of it is real! Not actually music confirmed!

How dare you not conform to my bizarrely anachronistic cave-dwelling musical expectations, Grimes.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
A synthesizer is an instrument. And even if it wasn't, of course it's music, I can bang my hands on a box to make a rhythmic sound and talk over it.

Are you literally 70 years old, OP?

Last edited:

mickaus

I think that if the lyrics are actually coherent than it is music. If the artist is just mumbling or speaking too fast to sing to than it isn’t music.

Labolas

Wow, so you think that ALL hip hop artists don't use live instruments? This just shows your ignorance of the genre. The Roots use live instruments on a lot of their songs.

And if they don't use live instruments, so what? How does that take away from their talent?

R6Rider

Gold Member
Yes, to both rap and techno. I listen to a lot of rap and hip-hop, but not much techno. I don't even like mumble rap, but still consider it music.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Techo sounds like the same song, for like 15 hours. Just a bunch of copypasta. Do you know why, because its meant to be listened to in a club, when you're loaded as fuck, so 10 hours seems like 10 minutes.

Bragr

Banned

fed296bb4d4f8993adb1d0b2c2b40dec.gif

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Rap has sucked since the 90s
There's been shitty rap since the beginning but also good shit at any given time.

The current trends in hip hop, which really both strip down the instrumentations AND take the focus off lyrics and technical delivery, feels kind of lazy to me. But it's hard to deny guys like Kendrick and Jay Rock and even like Anderson Paak who have a shit load of talent, even the Swae Lee and Offset and 6ix9ine are not very talented.

Not really. For me music means melody. But it’s not just rap that I don’t consider music - plenty of songs from other genres that I don’t consider as music.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
It's SHIT. Black Americans created Blues, Soul and Jazz, only for their descendants to piss on their memory by shitting out Rap. It's neither music, nor poetry: Plain SHIT.
Jazz, soul, and blues are still just as/if not more popular than rap. It was a different generation trying something new. Race isn't a variable either. Black people invented most genres if modern music too. So I wouldn't state just those three genres.

HoleinOne

Neo Member
I don't think so. It's poetry (usually rhythmic) that can have music accompanying it (and often does), but it's not required. Yeah, I know I'm being pedantic. It's a music-adjacent art form and the two cross over a bunch.

Tschumi

Yes.

Is all rap music?

Gtfo!

Is contemporary rap any good?

Seems to me that in trying to not be derivative the biggest rap stars are trying to be unintelligible

Top Bottom