• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you expect a Series X and Series S?

NickFire

As most of us are probably aware, rumors have circulated for a long time of two different next gen Xbox's. Now that MS has confirmed the name Series X for what I assume is the previously discussed Anaconda system based on the way they touted its abilities, I think we can make educated guesses based on the potential implication of the name.

Obviously, the use of Series in the name is strategic. MS is not picking names from a hat. Some dictionary definitions of strategic as a noun are:

a number of things, events, or people of a similar kind or related nature coming one after another.
"the explosion was the latest in a series of accidents"

and

a set of related television or radio programs, especially of a specified kind

That leads me to my first guess (unless you doubt that MS has a strategy when selecting a name). And that guess is Lockheart is coming without any further doubt in my mind. Series strongly suggests a number of related things, or a set of related things. Using Series as part of the branding is a clever way of opening doors for multiple consoles with almost identical cpu's (or identical), and different gpu outputs.

Which leads me to guess number 2. For some time now we have had the option to purchase an Xbox One S, or Xbox One X. Microsoft has been very consistent that current generation will be forward compatible (at least to some extent), next gen will be backwards compatible, and have given me the impression that they see consoles more like evolution instead of revolutions. Taking their messaging into account, it seems logical to expect some level of consistent branding to reflect that the platform is an eco-system of old and new, and not a clean break from the pass.

As such, my final guess is that Lockheart will be called Series S. Consistent with prior gen branding, consistent with the Series X branding, and so close to Series X that people will look at them as mainly the same.

....yes?

They are basically doing what has been done last gen except both up front.

Even sony has 3 versions of the PS4 (OG, Slim, Pro) spread out over the gen. Xbox is just starting the wave where you can pick between a base model console or a tricked out one at the beginning.

They both drive, but one has extra bells and whistles and a tech package. Not everyone wants the fully loaded whip, some just want a vehicle good enough to get from A to B.

Most hardcore gamers are going to want the fully loaded model, but does that mean you cut out the 90% of folk who just want something with 4 tires and a steering wheel at a lower price point?

Edit: I fully expect there to be multiple PS5 models (maybe not at launch) but dip me in mountain dew and cheeto dust if I'm wrong

Last edited:

NickFire

Do we really need like 6 threads about this?
Putting aside that this is the only thread specifically about whether Series X means Series S is coming, the answer is duh. Obviously there will be many threads about Microsoft's less than 24 hour ago reveal of their next console's / controller's name and design.

I don't really care tbh. I went all pc.
Most games that will come out on the new xbox will be on pc as well. I don't care for Nintendo, some games that interest me will eventually work on the pc via Yuzu.
I will probably get a ps5 down the line just for exclusive games.

Panaphonics

Banned
I don't really care tbh. I went all pc.
Most games that will come out on the new xbox will be on pc as well. I don't care for Nintendo, some games that interest me will eventually work on the pc via Yuzu.
I will probably get a ps5 down the line just for exclusive games.
Most of the OS4/PS5 exclusive games will also be released in PC, Horizon, shenmue, final fantasy etc.

HE1NZ

Banned
I think Series X is the name of a family of devices not just one console. They gonna announce 2 (possibly 3 with streaming only device) and call them all Series X plus unannounced names for individual consoles.

Top Bottom