• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you game with full RGB or limited?

that image i posted above should give you an idea.

slap it on a USB. your TV and PS3/Xbox should be set to full range. load the image up (full screen) and see if you can see a difference between each and every level of black.

this site was what i used and it explains what you should be seeing. it also has calibration for other things too besides black levels

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

OK thanks, I'll give it a try.

True, except if both your devices support both (which is usually the case today). Then full/full looks slightly better than limited/limited.

It's very simple really:
Do both devices support full range? Use full range on both.
Else use limited range on both.
Awesome, thanks for clearing this up for me Durante. Those are the settings I'm using from now on.

True, except if both your devices support both (which is usually the case today). Then full/full looks slightly better than limited/limited.

It's very simple really:

So limited on regular cable TV and movies then? I wouldn't want to have to switch between the two back and forth.

Ok, I've been wondering this for about 2 years now. My PS3 is set to Full and my X360 isset to Expanded. On my Sony HDTV Bravia, the X360 appears to have better image quality, deeper blacks, brighter whites and slightly more vibrant colors than the PS3 does. Is that normal or could I have something set incorrectly on the PS3? The picture is still really good on the PS3, but the X360 pictures looks noticeably better.

Here are some test images.
Play them back on Xbox or PS3.
If you can´t see all bars, either your TV or your console is set to limited.
02_helligkeitl8jl4.jpg

03_kontrasthajoh.jpg

16_gray_values_25628k2a.jpg

Chumpion

Limited RGB stands tall among the most moronic inventions of the modern era... I can't even begin to fathom what kind of an asshole one has to be to come up with an idea like that.

M3d10n

Limited RGB stands tall among the most moronic inventions of the modern era... I can't even begin to fathom what kind of an asshole one has to be to come up with an idea like that.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but the limited color range comes from a long ago due to the way analog TV signals were transmitted. The standards for SD TV forbid the usage of color values outside the [16-235] range and HD TV standards inherited this limitation so existing content authored for [16-235] would work properly.

Therefore, unless told otherwise, a TV assumes the content is limited by default.

Deepo

Full on PS3, Standard/Normal on 360 since Expanded screws with the signal, no choice but Limited on Wii U. Have my PC with a Nvidia card set to Full thanks to Durante.

My TV automatically detects Full or Limited, so no need to configure there.

Bloodsent

I am getting conflicting results. I tried RGB Full on the PS3, but needed to increase the brightness to see all the test boxes properly (which I expected), but if I set the Xbox to RGB & Expanded, I get crushed blacks regardless.

I was going on the assumption that my TV supports RGB Full due to the results of the PS3 test, but the 360 test gave me pause. Did I miss something?

bro1

Banned

It's very simple really:
No no no no.
Blu ray grey scale is 16-235 which is limited. However, games are made for full which is 0-255. Set to auto and be done with it

Toski

Or tougher battle is to convince people to change the colour temp to "warm". Looks wrong initially but your eyes will adjust soon enough and you'll never want to go back.

Also, never even put your settings on "Dynamic" or whatever. Absolutely kills the picture. Even "normal" is no good most of the time. If there's a setting called "True Cinema" or just "Cinema", go for that. Again, it may look dull, but that's only if you're used to the wrecked contrast and saturation of the dynamic settings. Once you get used to a better calibrated TV youll love it.

Most tvs that are uncalibrated have severe red push (although it has gotten better), so setting color temperature to "warm" is not a good idea unless you plan to calibrate and set a proper greyscale (and thats if the tv actually has the settings to do it).

Mistle

It really is more of a personal preference thing.

The WiiU menu for example looks like shit with the yellow tint on warm setting.
Especially with the Gamepad next to it that uses the normal color temperature.
Our TVs must be different, as for me Warm matches it with the GamePad while normal looks cool.

I need to check, I think that it was set to something because a while ago I had to game on a poor quality tv, but now i'm not and I don't think I ever changed it (but changed the tv settings instead) let's look...

witness

So I finally I have it figured out. I set my ps3 back to limited, put the black level to low on the TV to get a reference point using Arkham Origins. I then backed out, put the ps3 on full and changed my black level to high and I got my brightness back to exactly where it was before but with much richer colors and varied blacks. I especially noticed it on Batman's suit. I also turned the Super White setting on while I was at it. Both of those changes really enhances the picture while gaming as long as your TV is set right. Fantastic.

Chumpion

I'm not sure if you're aware, but the limited color range comes from a long ago due to the way analog TV signals were transmitted. The standards for SD TV forbid the usage of color values outside the [16-235] range and HD TV standards inherited this limitation so existing content authored for [16-235] would work properly.

I'm not aware. All I see is a needless waste of dynamic range, and that is enough grounds to launch a vicious attack! There is really no excuse these days for something like limited RGB. 8-bit is limited enough on its own.

PaulloDEC

Just took a look at the difference on my 40" Samsung LCD in Batman: Arkham Origins.

With the PS3 set to full and my TV set to limited, everything looks fine. With the PS3 set to full and the TV set to full (or Black Level - Normal, as Samsung would have it) I get some weird artifacting junk in areas that were previously pitch black.

Please forgive the crappy camera-phone photography:

Limited

Full

Guess I'll be sticking with limited.

Played on full, but since my Wii U joined the party I changed to limited.
All my consoles go to the AVR and i don´t want to change the option in my TV all the time.

Nintendo add full range ASAP!

Btw:
Full on console and limited on TV crushes black and white.
Limited on console and full on TV has a washed out look.

Btw 2:
On Samsung TVs the option for full/limited is called Black Level: low = limited, normal = full.

Btw 3:
On Xbox 360 choose HDMI color space RGB and reference level extended = full or standard = limited.
yeah, this is basically me. and I'm not taking my Wii U off my receiver because surround sound > full colour space.

I'd love not to have to choose though!

Just took a look at the difference on my 40" Samsung LCD in Batman: Arkham Origins.

With the PS3 set to full and my TV set to limited, everything looks fine. With the PS3 set to full and the TV set to full (or Black Level - Normal, as Samsung would have it) I get some weird artifacting junk in areas that were previously pitch black.

Limited

Full

erm, no, you should just recalibrate your TV. that you have more detail in the dark is good. that you've got the brightness up too high that it makes that look bad. lower your brightness (and up your contrast if needs be afterwards) and you'll have a better end result than when using limited.

http://www.poynton.com/notes/brightness_and_contrast/

Limited

Full

eh? The limited image is completely fucked and has no detail

PaulloDEC

erm, no, you should just recalibrate your TV. that you have more detail in the dark is good. that you've got the brightness up too high that it makes that look bad. lower your brightness (and up your contrast if needs be afterwards) and you'll have a better end result than when using limited.

http://www.poynton.com/notes/brightness_and_contrast/

Cheers for the suggestions, I'll have a play around with the settings. I'm not unused to setting up TVs, but this full/limited RGB stuff is pretty new to me.

eh? The limited image is completely fucked and has no detail

Maybe Batman was a bad choice, as dark corners being inky black seems about right to me.

teiresias

I've kept my display chain set to YPrPb (with my PC set to YPrPb 4:4:4) mainly because though my Kuro will switch between all the formats properly (RGB limited, RGB full, YPrPb 422, and YPrPb 444) my Denon AV Receiver won't and has to be set statically to either YPrPb or RGB and then the range of RGB if using that (it will pass either 422 or 444 when in YPrPb mode though).

I'm also not clear on whether it's even possible to calibrate a monitor for proper Blu-Ray playback over RGB Full or not. I don't think the conversion from one colorspace to the other is really standardized.

CronoShot

PS3 is set to full, TV is set to normal.

Wii U is automatically set to limited (no option for full), TV is set to low.

Works pretty well.

PaulloDEC

It's the perfect choice, calibrate my man.

I've switched both PS3 and TV to full (or the Samsung equivalent) now, and tweaked the brightness and contrast so as to just barely shroud the badly artifacted areas in blackness. Batman is looking pretty good by this point, but I guess I won't know for sure until I've tried a variety of content.

I've switched both PS3 and TV to full (or the Samsung equivalent) now, and tweaked the brightness and contrast so as to just barely shroud the badly artifacted areas in blackness. Batman is looking pretty good by this point, but I guess I won't know for sure until I've tried a variety of content.

Use greyscale bars instead, don't do it by guess work.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Full as my TV supports it
So Full on PS3, Normal on TV
otherwise you'll just crush the blacks

b0bbyJ03

Played on full, but since my Wii U joined the party I changed to limited.
All my consoles go to the AVR and i don´t want to change the option in my TV all the time.

Nintendo add full range ASAP!

Btw:
Full on console and limited on TV crushes black and white.
Limited on console and full on TV has a washed out look.

Btw 2:
On Samsung TVs the option for full/limited is called Black Level: low = limited, normal = full.

Btw 3:
On Xbox 360 choose HDMI color space RGB and reference level extended = full or standard = limited.

Dude! thanks for that info, i was going crazy looking for my RGB settings on my samsung. I normally game on a panasonic TV with the TV and the console set to full. makes a huge difference. it was annoying to change it every time i had to game in my room on my samsung.

Ein Bear

Thanks for this thread, guys. I own a Samsung TV, and never realised that the 'HDMI Black Level' setting was full/limited RGB.

Have just spent half an hour fiddling with my picture settings, and it all looks a lot better now. This is why I love GAF.

ScOULaris

Full range all the way because my TV supports it. Just make sure you set your input to PC mode, and you'll get a fantastic picture with full range turned on.

If you don't have a PC mode on your TV, leave it set to Limited.

I guess I'm not understanding how this works. You can set the color mode based on the console/input? Or does it change for the display in general? Like is it a universal setting or an input specific setting?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I see a setting on my tv for black level low and high.

What should my tv be set at for my wii u and ps3? And my consoles?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Kind of thinking about this thread a little..

No offense to anyone (honestly) but it's kind of a pointless thread. The ONLY right answer is "I use whichever my display supports"

You really don't get a "better" image/picture in full compared to limited.

From heavy reading of some informative posts on xbox.com and avsforums, I now believe that the Xbox 360's advanced video settings are completely and utterly broken. There are conflicting reports of what Standard or Expanded will actually do for your television.

Top Bottom