• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do You Include Gaming in your Dating Profiles

if you get laid/ anything further with a neogaf mention in there then I gotta applaud you for truly having success in tailoring your pursuits/audience

Beats me touting Pale Moon as an alternative to firefox anyway.

;)

I think if I was truly looking for a mate then I would change my profile to be a little more serious (still include gaming though), but I'm recently out of a relationship so I'm not interested in anything serious.

I also live in a very densely gay populated area (literally called Boystown), so it's entirely feasible to find someone within like an hour to come over and just play video games with. After I verify they aren't a serial killer, of course.

bomblord1

Banned
I do also anime and manga. I see no reason to lie about who I am and if they can't accept that then it wouldn't have worked in the first place.

I also never got any matches that move anywhere out of awkward hello's.

Ended up swearing off dating services(after initial swearing to never use them) after a bit of this. And I'll probably randomly try it again like I always do.

edit: and now I've redownloaded Tinder thanks OP.

Numb

Okay that's pretty funny. If my GF knew how many hours I put into Destiny she'd be floored, even as she knows I played all the time. It's just seeing a big number is terrifying.

6rdQZIS.gif
I make it a point not to tell people IRL how much time I put into Tekken
Yes
Even gamer friends

lolno

gamergate moved gaming acceptance back decades in the public consciousness

lol nobody outside GAF gives a fuck or even knows about gamergate

And the gay men in LA at least don't seem to have much of an interest in gaming, or if they do they mostly keep their interest hidden - it's a very homogenous (no pun intended) culture among gay men here.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Unfortunately its still not as accepted as you think it is based on how prevalent "nerd culture" seems to be nowadays.

The worst is when girls actually put in their profile to not message them if you play video games and equate it to being a child. They'd probably pick a guy "just looking to hook up" over a "gamer" lol

You should add your ideal date too. You know something along the lines of showing the person how far along gaming has come since Super Mario Bros.

Evilkazzzz

Neo Member
Sure, I'd prefer a partner who's either just as into games as me or perfectly ok with me being into them, and doesn't have any weird hangups about them being immature or brain melting.

Just hinted at it by putting

"I kick ass in Mario Kart"

in my profile. I think that was fine because MK is one of those games that almost everyone likes to play and it is easy for someone to pick that part of my profile up for opening a conversation.

If you're looking for girls gaming is a big red flag sadly. It gives the girls the message that you're not fit, you won't give her much attention when at home and all stereotypes associated with games. I read this a few years back in the r/okcupid a few years back and many people shared their story about this. If you're a girl this isn't actually needed as girls get many more views and messages than guys but if you want to sell yourself as a gamer girl you'll attract gamers more often.

Remember: if you want to get lucky you have to sell yourself and games sadly are a big no-no for most guys.

lol

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I would not include it unless I specifically wanted to date someone into games. Even if gaming is more "accepted" in 2017, many non-gamers associate gaming with playing games 15 hours a day to the exclusion of everyone and everything else. There will always be that snap judgment made by some folks, even if they would be totally okay with it in reality. When online dating, a girl receives billions of messages from guys and is just looking for a reason to exclude certain ones (all else being equal). I don't think girls are at the point of accepting gaming as just another hobby.

Yeah. This. Too many will use it as a red flag to not respond when sorting through the ton of messages they receive. Doesn't mean they're anti-gamer, they just assume people who list it game obsessively and that's a turn off.

Plus I never wanted to date a gamer (that's my me time) or geeky people anyway so adding it would just attract people that aren't my type anyway. With the disclaimer that I'm not a huge gamer relative to most here as it's not my top hobby. People who game obsessively probably should list gaming.

And the gay men in LA at least don't seem to have much of an interest in gaming, or if they do they mostly keep their interest hidden - it's a very homogenous (no pun intended) culture among gay men here.

That stinks. The gays here in Chicago love to game.

For those talking about being a little more subtle, I've also lead with a picture of me wearing some game-related clothing. For instance, I had a picture of me wearing a Street Fighter II shirt, and a lot of people messaged me just saying "cool shirt!"

I just bought a superrrr subtle Splatoon hoodie from Nintendo NY, so if I had a pic of that and someone called it out I would be super impressed.

entremet

It's hilarious that people still think GG is something the mainstream knows about.

Ryuuga

Banned
I do also anime and manga. I see no reason to lie about who I am and if they can't accept that then it wouldn't have worked in the first place.

This is exactly it. Besides pretending to be something you aren't can be exhausting and expensive.

Unfortunately its still not as accepted as you think it is based on how prevalent "nerd culture" seems to be nowadays.

The worst is when girls actually put in their profile to not message them if you play video games and equate it to being a child. They'd probably pick a guy "just looking to hook up" over a "gamer" lol
I agree. If i was serious about getting dates on dating apps i would not mention games anywhere. It really has little to do with going on a first date.

It wasnt a big deal with my current girlfriend. 95% of the time i spend playing games is when shes asleep or working

If I had a dating profile, it would probably be in there with all my other interests/hobbies as a single blerb.

But you seem to have it as like... half of your overall profile. That's a bit much, personally. Gaming is something I do on the side, it's not the definition of who I am. The more emphasis you put on it, the more I think people will make that assumption (right or wrong) about you - just as if I saw a profile that was more than half about cats I would immediately think 'crazy cat lady' as well.

Servbot24

Banned
I mention it in mine but don't go in depth. I think it says "I enjoy playing games such as Zelda, Mario Kart and Joureny" or something like that as just one line out of a paragraph about my hobbies.

Pejo

Why spoil the surprise ;)

You wait til the 2nd-3rd date, which is the perfect opportunity to show her how far gaming has come since Super Mario World.

ghibli99

IIRC, I did say that I love videogames in my profile (back in like 2001-02)... it's my #1 hobby and my career, so if someone says that games are for kids or they hate them, well, that's an easy way to weed 'em out.

halfbeast

Banned
I just put game titles amidst music bands and movie/tv show names as interest. that way those who don't recognize them as video games won't think they're video games.

but I would never put my console id in the profile.

If I had a dating profile, it would probably be in there with all my other interests/hobbies as a single blerb.

But you seem to have it as like... half of your overall profile. That's a bit much, personally. Gaming is something I do on the side, it's not the definition of who I am. The more emphasis you put on it, the more I think people will make that assumption (right or wrong) about you - just as if I saw a profile that was more than half about cats I would immediately think 'crazy cat lady' as well.

I getcha. I mentioned this earlier but a lot of it has to do with what I'm after. My tinder profile was a lot more balanced because my mindset there was more date focused. With Scruff I'm very keen on finding people to play Zombies Ate My Neighbors with or to compare shrine progress with in Zelda. I'm relatively new to the city so friends are the priority.

But I totally agree it's a lot to take in and I'm sure it turns people off. Those people don't message me/respond to me, so it's all good!

Fbh

I don't use dating apps.
I think I wouldn't make it as big of a focus as you OP, but I'd definitely list it among my hobbies/interests and free time activities.

Nothing to he ashemas about and I have no interest in being with someone who can't accept my hobbies.

shandy706

You might get more replies if you change your name to FeintColt387761

Understoodthatreference.gif

I'd probably mention it if I had a "dating profile". The women lined up when they found out I was getting divorced. Even had one call me this morning to ask me when it was or if I was already done.

LOL (I'm not interested in others applying right now though)

Pinky

Banned
When I started dating my now wife(been married for over 10 years), she had a Super Nintendo hooked up to her TV in the bedroom. At that moment, I knew I was going to marry this woman. :)

If you're looking for a true and long term relationship you absolutely should. If you are just looking for a lay and want to increase your chances as much as possible then don't.

Saganator

Back when I was dating, I left it out usually, but sometimes I tried putting in small mentions of gaming, mainly to try and show that I was a pretty well rounded dude, but I never picked up a "gamer girl" so if anything the gaming mentions scared more off then it attracted.

I know a lot of people have had bad experiences with an SO who is big gamer, WoW addicts and the like, makes them swear off the gamers.

I would only put it in your profile if you like live for games and you wear it on your sleeve. If your room/house is decked out in video game posters and stuff then not putting gaming in your profile is a little dishonest. For me, though, you probably wouldn't guess I was a gamer if you saw me on the street.

Jamix012

The one time I did use a dating app, I did include it. My collection's a little big that I wouldn't be able to hide it if they ever came over to my place. It would also be annoying to hide it.

BouncyFrag

I'd go a step further and demand specifics. Not curing the Krogan genophage or callously leaving the mabari hound to die at the beginning of Dragon Age would be deal breakers for me.

balohna

I mentioned it, but didn't list specific games. Been with a girl I met online for like 5 years now though, so this app dating business is foreign to me.

creatchee

If gaming is a big part of your life and you don't put out, you're a lying liar and any match you find on that site will be based on a lie. I mean, if you're playing over two hours a day, it should be at the top of your interests and hobbies. Nobody cares about the whittling you do once every five months - they want to know what their days like would be with you and what things will be competing for your time.

Be honest.

PseudoViper

Yes, as mother with 2 kids, gaming and my 2 kids are the first things I mention on my dating profile.

If you can't get past these two things then there's no reason to talk. Simple as that.

Numb

I'd go a step further and demand specifics. Not curing the Krogan genophage or callously leaving the mabari hound to die at the beginning of Dragon Age would be deal breakers for me.
Do you follow the payload yes or no?

If no please kill yourself

Top Bottom